Author Topic: Ergonomics of standing desk stations  (Read 8125 times)

Offline jfishe1989

Ergonomics of standing desk stations
« on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 13:01:44 »
Hi guys. I work on a computer all day and recently my back has started giving me problems. I've gone to the doctor for advice and he recommends using a standing desk workstation. After doing some research I found one by a company named skutchi http://www.skutchi.com/office-furniture/tables/sit-and-stand-tables/up-rite-desk-mounted-sit-stand-workstation-single-or-dual-monitor-mount.html. Has anybody heard of this company or product before or can you give me any viable alternatives to ergonomic workstations? Thanks!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Re: Ergonomics of standing desk stations
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 13:21:51 »
Don't know anything about the station in particular but I've found standing stations to be really quite nice. I think you'll find a major improvement.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 13:34:52 »
That's interesting. I've been fixated on Ergotron (WorkFit) or trying to find a Varidesk in Europe (fruitlessly) thus far.

Offline TomBodet

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 16:14:24 »
I got an uplift converter clamp model: https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-height-adjustable-standing-desk-converter/

#1 reason is you can hang the keyboard tray off the desk edge so it's 3-ish inches lower than the desk and then you get the bump in height for the monitor.  I'm 6' and finding a good combo has been very tough due to desk too high, chair doesn't go high enough, monitor isn't tall enough, etc....  I've felt better with it and swapping between sit/stand is easy.   There's usually coupons to be dug out for them too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 18:50:59 »
Guys this is clearly an Ad bot.. !! hahahaha

Skutchi is Rubbish

Offline jfishe1989

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 08:21:34 »
Why would you say Skutchi is garbage? And yes, the uplift desk looks like its a better quality and costs less so this looks like a good choice.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:16:18 »
Why would you say Skutchi is garbage? And yes, the uplift desk looks like its a better quality and costs less so this looks like a good choice.

I assumed you were a botter..

But it seems you're a paid forum Infiltrator/ advertiser..

You have the right to advertise, and I have the right to thwart that advertisement.

If you are not an advertiser.. Then all is well..

Feel free to say anything you like..   

Offline jfishe1989

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 15:07:17 »
I'm not sure what you mean by botter. I'm not trying to advertise anything... I'll find another forum to ask my question. Thanks!

Offline hoggy

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 06:41:01 »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 08:56:12 »
Had them in a place I once worked at. Did not find them good in the slightest. Except in keeping you awake.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 05:38:50 »
I've been using an IKEA standing desk (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/office-desks/bekant-corner-desk-right-sit-stand-birch-veneer-white-spr-59061162/) at home for the past... year or so? I have a small stand on it to lift the monitor higher, but otherwise it is a very nice, and comfortable desk. I started using one because of back pain, and because I couldn't find a comfortable chair (I can't stay put for long, and will wiggle around - most chairs aren't set up for that).

Switching to a standing desk was a win in every possible way: no more back pain, I can walk around more freely (and I will walk around, instead of sitting all day because I'm too lazy to get up - I'm already standing, so taking a walk is much less effort), my posture improved too. Can only recommend.

My main priority when choosing a standing desk was availability, and IKEA was nearby. Everything else would have taken a lot longer to ship.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 07:25:48 »
I've been using an IKEA standing desk (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/office-desks/bekant-corner-desk-right-sit-stand-birch-veneer-white-spr-59061162/) at home for the past... year or so? I have a small stand on it to lift the monitor higher, but otherwise it is a very nice, and comfortable desk. I started using one because of back pain, and because I couldn't find a comfortable chair (I can't stay put for long, and will wiggle around - most chairs aren't set up for that).

Switching to a standing desk was a win in every possible way: no more back pain, I can walk around more freely (and I will walk around, instead of sitting all day because I'm too lazy to get up - I'm already standing, so taking a walk is much less effort), my posture improved too. Can only recommend.

My main priority when choosing a standing desk was availability, and IKEA was nearby. Everything else would have taken a lot longer to ship.

I've tried a bunch of standing desks and settled on having 2 stations instead of an adjustable desk.

It takes time to make it go up or down, whereas with 2 stations, that is instantaneous, you just move butt 3 feet to the left and sit.. hahahaha

Even @ wurk there is enough space for an extra monitor and pc.. they got terminal pcs bursting at the seams these days.. 

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 07:32:05 »
What I had at my first IT job were tables which were the perfect height for standing. The chairs we had were high off the ground but comfortable and whenever you wanted to stand you simply got up. It also made working on hardware a lot easier.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 09:05:19 »
I've tried a bunch of standing desks and settled on having 2 stations instead of an adjustable desk.
It takes time to make it go up or down, whereas with 2 stations, that is instantaneous, you just move butt 3 feet to the left and sit.. hahahaha

I don't have space for two desks at home, and I adjust the desk maybe once or twice a month, by pressing a button. I can survive that ~20 seconds, and is a lot cheaper than two stations, takes up less space too.

Same thing at work, though price there is not an issue. Space is. And since I don't adjust it much, a second desk would be a waste 90% of the time.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:57:14 »

I don't have space for two desks at home, and I adjust the desk maybe once or twice a month, by pressing a button. I can survive that ~20 seconds, and is a lot cheaper than two stations, takes up less space too.

Same thing at work, though price there is not an issue. Space is. And since I don't adjust it much, a second desk would be a waste 90% of the time.

It's situational , ur right.

But what I've found is, I like to sit stand switch it up every half hour..  I've found that it makes my feet less sore vs standing hr+ straight.

So the switchup PITA is high for my situation.. Which makes 2 stations worthwhile..

I think space constraint is less so a space thing, and more of a "aesthetic thing"

It's more rare to find any place where you can put an extra monitor on the wall or on a clamp stand.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 13:02:18 »

Even @ wurk there is enough space for an extra monitor and pc.. they got terminal pcs bursting at the seams these days.. 

This is the ideal setup. I have an L-shaped desk (small, not huge), with an Ikea-hacked standing setup on one side with wobble/balance board, and the other side is a sit-down station for deskwork/task focus with a small stool/chair. Majority of time is spent standing (all cut and set to best height, no adjustability because it's already customized for me), but sit down when I need to get down and zone-in.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline templanet

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 22:26:50 »
I've been wanting a sit stand desk for a long time, but can't make a decision. I don't want a big one, so I've been looking at single columns, but then I worry the single columns will be wobbly at standing height. No stores demo them, so you have to buy before you try and returns are not allowed. Even then the guarantees are 2 years on the motor and 5 years on the frame. So you could spend a lot of money for something that isn't going to last that long. I have a saddle chair and wouldn't use anything else, they don't work with a normal desk, so I can't use one of those cheapo risers that sit on the desks.

"I've tried a bunch of standing desks and settled on having 2 stations instead of an adjustable desk."

I have been thinking the same. Maybe get two of those portable metal tripod laptop tables and just move between the two. But that will probably wobble a lot at standing height.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 April 2018, 22:29:34 by templanet »