Author Topic: [IC] Synth Labs 060 - GB Date Announced!  (Read 125325 times)

Offline thestateofmay

Please consider HHKB PC.

Offline theside123

when gb start?

Offline GaNeBaL

any chance for diff plate materials or halfplates?
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
when gb start?

Haven't gotten that far yet, but there will be more details on it when I know. If you want to leave an email on the interest form, I'll let let everyone on there know the details once it's figured out.

any chance for diff plate materials or halfplates?

I've been leaning mostly toward just having the one option to keep costs lower. I'm open to releasing plate files after the GB though.

Offline productkun

Will we get renders with the new revision? :)

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
Will we get renders with the new revision? :)

I'll update the renders this weekend!   :thumb:

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
I placed orders from a new manufacturer and reordered the PCBs. The quoted lead time is 15 business days, so hopefully I'll receive the prototype by June 22nd.

On a side note, I'm looking into those polycarb options again, but no promises as of now.

Also added new renders to the original post.

Offline thestateofmay

Wait my bad it already comes with HHKB layout. Any chance it'll come iwith half plate and/or PC plate options?

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
Wait my bad it already comes with HHKB layout. Any chance it'll come iwith half plate and/or PC plate options?

I won't be ordering other plate layouts through the manufacturer, for the purposes of keeping prices lower for the GB. I'll release the plate files after GB though, but people will have to get these produced on their own. Stay tuned though, as I do have some ideas regarding this and I might have something to announce later.

Offline Glueeater

Polycarb renders look sick - hope it happens :)

Offline Maxferfra

This keyboard looks amazing!! how can I sign up for a spot in the group buy?

Offline zoo

• zoo
Looks good! Feel like the backweight could use more fins, though.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
This keyboard looks amazing!! how can I sign up for a spot in the group buy?

Working on more details at the moment - I have some more significant changes in the works. Feel free to fill out the interest check form on the original post, and you can leave an email to be notified about GB / availability details when that's finalized.

Offline santela

Wow, this is definitely one of the more interesting designs I've seen in a long while. Not even sure if this is for me, but I might jump on it just for how different it looks from all the other keyboards. Great work!

Offline Ptaty

Glad to see this project is coming along, I've been supporting it since the start! Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing its culmination and hopefully purchasing one for myself!
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 15:13:07 by Ptaty »

Offline MadsMe

Glad to see this project is coming along, I've been supporting it since the start! Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing its culmination and hopefully purchasing one for myself!

Echo!

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
Synth Labs....I was expecting pressure sensitive pads or a batch of faders or something "synth-esque". As it stands, even without my expectations this is a beaut. I'll be watching and hoping this correlates with my spending budget.

Offline n0rvig

I love the back, and the vertical usb port. This thing is bold. GL!

Offline HugEBear

i have fallen in love with this design...i want..no, i NEED it. a black and brass combo would be perfect! though i like how a black and dark nickle plate would look in my head also. cant wait for if/when this becomes a reality.

Offline FakeJesus

Offline Dakukun

Re: [IC] Synth Labs 060 - a Gasket-Mounted 60% keyboard (New Renders 06/01/2020)
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 15:49:51 »
I have to say that I really really love this design *-*.
As someone already says, I would like underglow too or maybe a little bit of light in the rear zone (I already comment in the last step of the form)

Offline dibstern

Re: [IC] Synth Labs 060 - a Gasket-Mounted 60% keyboard (New Renders 06/01/2020)
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 08:19:50 »
This will be so mad if it ever happens. My fingers are crossed!

Offline gleneston

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 18:39:57 »
This is on the top of my list. Absolutely epic design. Keeping $ set aside for this bad boy.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
Re: [IC] Synth Labs 060 - Oct 30, 2020 - Big Updates!
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 01:04:03 »
Hey guys! It's been pretty quiet for a while - but I have some updates!  ;D

So I've been pretty quiet, since I didn't want to speak too soon about some cool things going on for this project - but here we go for some more fun news!

Partnering with Keebwerk!
First off, I'm partnering up with keebwerk. for this project. They'll be handling manufacturing, quality control, and vending. Of course this means that instead of going with either of the manufacturers I've previously tested during prototyping, I'll be going with keebwerk's manufacturer. This is the same manu which makes keebwerk's nano, and is working on their mega65.

In terms of progress with this new manufacturer - a prototype was ordered about a month ago, and the manufacturer says that they are done - with the exception of some more work needed for the PVD finishing. We're trying to get some pictures from the factory of these. Either way, we'll probably be seeing these in person soon.

For the sale plans, I'm planning on an in-stock drop through keebwerk's store. Color combinations will be customizable via an online configurator - similar to the one for the nano. Each part/color combination will have a limited stock, and allocations for these will be determined based on popularity results from the interest form survey. Total number of units is TBD. For pricing, the board will cost under $400 USD confirmed - though hotswap PCB and possibly other options might be an additional charge.

Polycarbonate Options:
Unfortunately, polycarbonate options will not be available in this initial drop, maybe in future rounds. I'd love to have them, but it adds more complexity than I'm willing to tackle right now.

Design Changes:
For the design, the keyboard has externally remained pretty much exactly as it was last shown back in June 2020. However, there have been some pretty significant changes to the internal design - notably the bottom face is aligned to the typing angle, which results in less machine time needed, and a significantly thicker and heftier bottom chassis. The USB port has been widened a bit to account for larger connector sizes, and the plate tabs have been redimensioned a bit. I'll have renders to illustrate these changes later.

Setbacks and Current Challenges:
Now in terms of setbacks - the main thing that's holding up the project is the PCB. As I previously mentioned, I designed a PCB and had it prototyped - I ran into some issues with this however. While I can probably work out the issues, I decided that I'd rather actually hand off the PCB development to someone more experienced and can do a better job with it - I still want to offer a great PCB, and not just one that's good enough. I'm looking for a PCB designer currently. If you're interested, please reach out to me on Discord directly - my tag is "Nostril#0001".

Project Status Tracking / Discord:
I've gotten plenty of questions asking if there is a Discord server to track the status of this project. I'll be working on setting one up soon.

Until then, please track the status of the project through this thread. The main post has just been (and will be in the future) updated to detail the latest important changes.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2020, 04:50:55 by Nostril »

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 12:00:07 »
Partnering with Keebwerk!
First off, I'm partnering up with keebwerk. for this project. They'll be handling manufacturing, quality control, and vending. Of course this means that instead of going with either of the manufacturers I've previously tested during prototyping, I'll be going with keebwerk's manufacturer. This is the same manu which makes keebwerk's nano, and is working on their mega65.

That's a shame. My experience with purchasing both the Nano slider and Tacit switches from them was pretty dismal. That was at the start of COVID first hitting Europe though. It doesn't explain all the problems but still a factor so hopefully they can handle this a lot better.

Other than for that, great news and exciting to hear this is still going ahead.

Until then, please track the status of the project through this thread. The main post has just been (and will be in the future) updated to detail the latest important changes.

i.e. easy to follow updates without wading through yet-another-Discord-server, also great news :D :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2020, 12:03:20 by nathanchere »

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 20:41:20 »
That's a shame. My experience with purchasing both the Nano slider and Tacit switches from them was pretty dismal. That was at the start of COVID first hitting Europe though. It doesn't explain all the problems but still a factor so hopefully they can handle this a lot better.

Other than for that, great news and exciting to hear this is still going ahead.
I appreciate you sharing your honest opinion and experiences. I'm imagining this board will probably be a smaller-scale sale, so I'd expect the logistics to be more managable.

i.e. easy to follow updates without wading through yet-another-Discord-server, also great news :D :D
I can definitely get behind the sentiment of having too many Discord servers to follow. I wouldn't worry about following the Discord closely - I'll definitely post the important stuff here.

Offline dibstern

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 00:36:11 »
So damn hyped for this. Just absolutely stunning. So unique and beautiful.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2020, 01:00:18 by dibstern »

Offline clochette

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 07:47:58 »
Super clean aesthetics
I dont really use 60% but this really changed my mind!

Would you consider a iridescent coloured bar?

Offline ponchofreedo

• it me
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 18:14:01 »
+1 to the iridescent/patina finish for the bar

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 05:10:21 »
Super clean aesthetics
I dont really use 60% but this really changed my mind!

Would you consider a iridescent coloured bar?

I think it would be unlikely, at least for a first round, unfortunately. I'd like to keep color options more limited at firsr, to focus more on getting things right, while more options can be explored in future restocks/rounds. Additionally, the current bar finishes all can be done as a PVD coating, which simplifies things by reducing the number of unique processes to worry about.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 07:32:07 »
It would also be possible to refinish yourself however you like once it arrives :D

Offline peachie

• keycap enthusiast, dreams of designing
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 10:30:55 »
I love this keyboard so. so. so indescribably much.

Which means that it will most certainly be an extremely limited release, and I will never be able to own one. I've never 'gotten in' on a limited release GB keyboard in my entire time in this hobby and I'll be damned if I get my hopes up too high on this one.

but dear god is this awesome.

Foxlab Key65       TMO50          MOJO60

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
Re: [IC] Synth Labs 060 - Discord added for tracking (Nov 9)
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 11:32:54 »
I've created a Discord for tracking updates on the 060 and future projects! Here's the invite link to join: https://discord.gg/NGu9Xk3Ek7

If you have any any questions or suggestions on the project, this would be another great place for it. The Discord will have more frequent and less formal quick updates, but as mentioned before I'll keep posting any major developments in this thread, so feel free to just track through this thread if you would prefer something quieter. I might also use Discord to some extent to help inform how many units may be available.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
Re: [IC] Synth Labs 060
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 02:03:12 »
Got an update from the manufacturer - machining on the prototype is done, but surface finishing still isn't. Here's some pictures from the factory:

Also, since the internal's have been changed since the last time I've posted renders of them, I made some new renders to show what they look like:

« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2020, 02:26:14 by Nostril »

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 05:25:02 »
You mad genius, you're actually pulling this off :D The prototype looks great!

Offline dibstern

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 06:10:57 »
Got an update from the manufacturer - machining on the prototype is done, but surface finishing still isn't. Here's some pictures from the factory:

Also, since the internal's have been changed since the last time I've posted renders of them, I made some new renders to show what they look like:

DROOL. I'm dying. That teal colour looks super pretty too.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 11:29:43 »
I'm loving this muscle car of a keyboard case.

Offline Starius

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 20:19:51 »
Looking very nice indeed.   :thumb:
I'm definitely going to go in on one of these when available.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 00:29:56 »
Prototypes from the manufacturer are now done and on the way to Keebwerk, and they might have them in hand as soon as next week!

Offline tap132

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 04:39:32 »
what keycap set is that on the first picture? is that brass? what's the name of the keycap

Offline Havattack

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 13:56:14 »
Is the HHKB still going to be part of the GB?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2020, 14:02:36 by Havattack »

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 03:50:13 »
what keycap set is that on the first picture? is that brass? what's the name of the keycap

It's still a work in progress, but more details on that to come later (and separately). The Discord would be a good place to track this.

Is the HHKB still going to be part of the GB?

Yep! We're planning on having HHKB available with the rest of the layout options in-stock.

Offline dibstern

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 05:54:03 »
Prototypes from the manufacturer are now done and on the way to Keebwerk, and they might have them in hand as soon as next week!

Wait I’m confused, prototypes are headed to a vendor? Why? Any ETA for the in-stock?

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:31:20 »

Wait I’m confused, prototypes are headed to a vendor? Why? Any ETA for the in-stock?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that - this is more because keebwerk is the primary point of contact and arranger with the manufacturer, rather than them as a vendor. They'll receive the unassembled prototype first to look it over, assemble it, and if any changes need to be made, they'll know exactly what needs to be done. After they review it, they'll forward the prototype to me and I'll also take a pass looking over everything, and if all looks good on both ends then we're good to go. I like this, because it's simply more eyes to catch any problems, and ultimately keebwerk will be the final QC anyway for the production run.

ETA for in-stock is looking like early Q1 2021 - but I'd like to wait until we know the prototypes are all good before finalizing this time frame.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:32:56 by Nostril »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:45:55 »

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that - this is more because keebwerk is the primary point of contact and arranger with the manufacturer, rather than them as a vendor. They'll receive the unassembled prototype first to look it over, assemble it, and if any changes need to be made, they'll know exactly what needs to be done. After they review it, they'll forward the prototype to me and I'll also take a pass looking over everything, and if all looks good on both ends then we're good to go. I like this, because it's simply more eyes to catch any problems, and ultimately keebwerk will be the final QC anyway for the production run.

ETA for in-stock is looking like early Q1 2021 - but I'd like to wait until we know the prototypes are all good before finalizing this time frame.

Take. Your. Time. Please. There are way too many keyboards coming out this month, they all cost 500$ and i need them all.

Offline kwerty

• beep boop i'm a robot
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 00:57:57 »
Very interested to see how this progresses, GLWIC!

Offline dibstern

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 00:52:19 »

Amazing, makes total sense, thank you!

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 20:24:50 »
It's been a while, and I have some more updates for the 060!

Let's get the bad news out of the way first. For the prototypes, Keebwerk tried to assemble them, and ran into some fitting issues, which were pretty similar to the issues I've encountered previously when I was getting prototypes made by myself. There was an issue with the thickness of the PVD coating on the brass parts, which causes pieces to get stuck together, and not want to fit into each other easily.

PVD is a very thin coating, but we actually are having these parts also nickel electroplated underneath, to help the PVD stick better and be more durable. I think the unintended thickness comes from that nickel electroplate.

Keebwerk mentioned that they plan to have the necessary revisions in the design to address this made by Thursday, then the brass parts will be remanufactured. This unfortunately delays us. They've mentioned that aside from the fitting issue, the quality looks great, particularly the surface finishes.

For the PCB, the PCB designer has finished the schematic, and is currently working on finishing the routing. Routing has been taking a bit longer than anticipated, but we are on track to completing it without any blockers.

Finally, the price! The kit with the universal soldered PCB will be USD $350, before shipping and tax. Different color options will be equally priced, as will standard/HHKB/WKL layout variants. An upgrade to the hotswap PCB with RGB backlighting will cost more (to be determined).

Offline ghstgrl

• Are you comfy tho?
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 20:49:41 »
Wait times from prototyping hurts but super excited to see the final product. That price is super reasonable imo 👀.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2021, 23:50:47 by ghstgrl »
Space65 | Thera75 | NIZ TKL | Think6.5 v2 | Lily58
GMK Olivia | Comfy PBT | GMK Yuru
Upcoming:
AE Daedalus | GMK Pink on Navy | GMK Birch | KAT Refined

Offline Havattack

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 22:58:03 »
Do you think we could maybe get an estimate for the GB date? (please say after febuary.... There are just too many other things come out in the next month or so.. 2-3 key sets, and 2-3 keebs..