Author Topic: More Mac Modular stuff  (Read 3037 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 16:36:24 »
I sent an email to Karl at DSI, and since he recognized my name, he decided to give me a call.

He said the dimensions of the Mac Modular keyboard are 15.25x6. Not a bad size  — dead inbetween the Topre 86 and the Model M 84 — and he said that a game pad, num pad, trackball and gaming joystick module are coming out in January.

Just thought I'd pass on this info.

And this one is for Wellington — Karl said the blues are roughly as loud as the blacks. Could you check that out for me? I don't remember how loud the blues are but I have a set of blacks at the wife's computer.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 16:36:57 »
And, has anyone who has one of these keyboards bought a camera yet?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 17:31:15 »
Quote from: xsphat
He said the dimensions of the Mac Modular keyboard are 15.25x6

Is this including numpad? It seems a bit wide if this is without. I've always thought of the Modular as being more compact.

I also got a reply from Karl. I hope they'll decide to make a UK layout.

Quote from:
The PC version of the Modular Keyboard will be out the first of the year. At this time we will not offer the UK layout option.

Offline wellington1869

More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 17:32:44 »
Quote from: Chloe;12287
Is this including numpad? It seems a bit wide if this is without. I've always thought of the Modular as being more compact.

I also got a reply from Karl. I hope they'll decide to make a UK layout.

I think its without the numpad; the modular has two "wings" on either side that keep it from being as compact as it could be.  

I'm really looking forward to the black PC version.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 17:33:17 »
Quote from: xsphat;12277
And, has anyone who has one of these keyboards bought a camera yet?

Hahahaha! I think you have to sign a contract when you buy it promising that you wont show it to anyone.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 17:38:06 »
Quote from: xsphat;12276

And this one is for Wellington — Karl said the blues are roughly as loud as the blacks. Could you check that out for me? I don't remember how loud the blues are but I have a set of blacks at the wife's computer.

Well, I've had the blacks and blues one after the other in short order. Are they equally loud? Well, I suppose one COULD say that. See, the blacks are abslutely silent except for bottoming out noise. While the blues have a click plus bottoming out clack. If you type on both 'normally' I suppose you could argue that they are comparable. But this would ignore two things:
a) That if you type just slightly more lightly, then the blacks will be far quieter than the blues because you wont bottom-out-clack as loud or at all.
b) Even if you typed normally I'd argue blacks *feel* quieter to me. Maybe its psychological cuz I know there's no 'built in' click.

If I listen to my two keystroke mp3's in the noisekeyboard thread, the blacks do sound quieter. (both were recorded in the same way with same recorder at same distance).

So I guess I would say that the two boards COULD sound as loud depending on how you type, but the blacks could also be much much quieter (depending on how you type).

That said, I do have to add that the blues on the M10 are suprisingly not-loud.  I used them all night yesterday and didnt bother anyone at all. So they're fairly quiet actually, more so than people would guess I think.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 18:00:18 »
Quote from: wellington1869;12288
I think its without the numpad; the modular has two "wings" on either side that keep it from being as compact as it could be.

You are correct, sir. That is without the numpad. The HHKB is 11 inches wide, so I can understand it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 18:23:30 »
Wellington, thank you for that answer. Believe it or not, you did a good job of answering all my questions. See, my wife's SMK88 is pretty loud, and I'm a marginally hard typer so I think the blues would be about as loud as that.

I must admit, I do miss the clicky keyboards when I'm on my Topre 86. I do pull out the M mini or the MK96, but they are so damned loud I feel guilty using them.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 22:16:56 »
Quote from: xsphat;12300
I must admit, I do miss the clicky keyboards when I'm on my Topre 86. I do pull out the M mini or the MK96, but they are so damned loud I feel guilty using them.

Quote from: xsphat;12259
The Topre's keys are tapered more from the bottom to the top, which results in a little less accuracy IMO.

Is your love affair with the Realforce in jeopardy?  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 23:36:19 »
Not really. I just like to have options. I take out both my clicky keyboards for a day or so and dig them, then by the next evening I'm all back on the Topre 86 again, like I am right now. I am thinking about buying a new keyboard in February when I get my next grant checks. $150 to $180 is what I would be willing to spend, and a keyboard with a numpad won't fit on my desk, so it's down to the DSI Modular with blues or the Filco mini with blacks. Since I like Karl and think DSI is headed in the right direction, I may opt toward the Mac Modular keyboard.

Offline xyzzy

More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 11:58:12 »
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but DSI has finally posted a couple of REAL photos of the Modular Mac keyboard in their eBay auctions (not just the renderings from their product page).

I'm posting the photos here just in case the auctions expire - source: http://shop.ebay.com/?_nkw=dsi+modular+mac&_sacat=See-All-Categories

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 12:07:38 »
And I noticed no member has posted pics of this keyboard yet. WTF? I don't think it's real. It's vaporware.

Offline xyzzy

More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 12:18:35 »
Quote from: xsphat;17627
I don't think it's real. It's vaporware.

Finding it out is just $149 + shipping ;)

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 12:24:00 »
Well people here bought them and then dropped off the face of the Earth. Maybe it's made of poison or something and they all died.

Offline itlnstln

More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 12:35:01 »
They went broke and had to sell their computers.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 12:35:23 »
Quote from: xyzzy;17623
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but DSI has finally posted a couple of REAL photos of the Modular Mac keyboard in their eBay auctions (not just the renderings from their product page).

I saw these too. I also noticed they look quite different to the ones taken at Computex 2008.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 13:17:48 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17635
They went broke and had to sell their computers.

I said earlier they must have had to sell their cameras, but now that they are just gone, I think something more sinister is afoot.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 13:18:27 »
Quote from: Chloe;17636
I saw these too. I also noticed they look quite different to the ones taken at Computex 2008.

How so?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
More Mac Modular stuff
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 13:43:17 »
http://chinese.engadget.com/2008/06/05/computex-2008-dsi/

There appears to be chipped paint around the USB sockets. The finish looks like painted metal. After I saw these I asked Karl if the Modular case was made of metal and he said it wasn't. There are also some differences in the shape of the case.