Author Topic: [IC] GMK 9009  (Read 106716 times)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
[IC] GMK 9009
« on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 04:57:36 »
Link to 40% kit ran by TheVanKeyboards for those interested :thumb:

09/09/17 update
Haven't heard from our German friends yet, but I have secured a Korean proxy! This will be done by Cocobrais who you may know from GMK Burgundy and some damn cool Korean customs! He guarantees the sale of 75 base sets, 50 space-bar kits and 50 add-on kits (meaning that he'll buy them out of pocket if he doesn't sell that many). This means that MOQ shouldn't be an issue for any of the kits  :thumb:
06/09/17 update
Thank you for all of your input, the final quote has just been put in at GMK! I expect the response to take a couple of weeks. The GB will go up ASAP after I receive the response though! Thank you for all your support so far, I hope this trend continues into the GB so we don't run into any MOQ issues  :-*

Whatttt is up my fellow keeb lovers!!

With its classic beige tones and stylish splash of colour, the 9009 colourway designed by Reuters in the 90's has sure made an impression on this community. So much in fact, that the set is going for insane amounts of money on mechmarket. This really pains me everytime I see it since I absolutely adore simple sets like this and I know I'm not the only one not able to splash the cash on it.

There was a PBT GB on KeyClack some time ago but frankly, it really didn't look the same :( . So I decided to spend some times on getting things set up for another round of 9009. I am in talks with vendors for both the EU and the US, Dixiemech.com and mykeyboard.eu respectively, both of which are great guys and have been super helpful in this process. David from Mykeyboard will also be supplying matching keyboard sleeves and cables on both his site and on Dixiemech, both of which are handmade in Belgium  :) .

I have already put in a quote about a week ago, and am waiting for a response. Don't worry, you won't be paying $180 for a GMK set here folks! The price range I'm trying to aim at is $140-150, this might not seem super low but please keep in mind that the USD-EUR is going down again and that we will be paying all necessary tax, something that doesn't seem to happen much in this community. This can make a 21% revenue difference  :p Either way, all is depended on GMK's quote. Let's hope they pleasantly surprise us :D

I have also put in some time making renders on boards and to show off the kit design.

Tl:Dr:
What? Another run of GMK 9009, the classy colour scheme used on Reuters trading boards .
When? Depended on feedback and GMK's supply, but a lot of work is already done. September seems like an achievable goal.
How much? Depended on the quote we get from GMK, trying to keep it at $140 in the US and €125 ish including 21% tax for my fellow Europeans.

Updated Kit Design
Please consider that since price is an issue not everybody can get all specific keys they want. After going through all advice and feedback I genuinely feel like this is the best balance between the number of keys and cost I can give you. I hope everybody understands that if I added every key all people wanted this would turn into a €200 base kit, and I'm probably not even exaggerating here. Unless there are major issues found in this kit design it will stay as is, tweaking this for ages will only slow down the process of running this GB.
Base kit

Add-on kit

Spacebar kit

Renders

Rubreh Domeh (there will be a center stemmed 6u spacebar in the kit!)

Modern M0110

Mech-27 (ISO :thumb: :thumb: )

FC980C (final set will have front printed legends on the numpad!)

Things to fix, add, ...
  • Getting a quote from GMK
  • Making sure everything is 100% set up with vendors
  • Launching the GB!!  :D
Thank you all for looking all feedback is appreciated, you have yourself a nice day!

Old kit design:

More
Kit Design
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 10:28:15 by janglad »

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
Re: [IC] GMK 9009
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:00:15 »
No 3a/3c spacebars?

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:00:24 »
Can you please do R0 top row?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:03:12 »
No 3a/3c spacebars?

Ooh yes, of course, don't really know how I forgot about those! Sorry, added it to a todo list!! Thank you for the feedback :)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:04:25 »

I will look into the pricing of this, it would sure make the set look a lot better on 75% and 96key boards! Thank you :)

Offline avid

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:05:48 »
Very nice! Excited that mykeyboard will sell this for us europeans.

Its hard to tell from renders, but i assume same color codes are being used.

Some important things that are being left out:
-green & red spacebars

This is the most popular beige set, so i dont like changing icons. For example the windows logo keys are now super instead. Really dislike this change.

Also change back to the Caps-lock logo.

Maybe do a add-on kits that contained:
-red + green spacebar
-red + green f5-f8

Simular to the addon kit that was sold with GMK Muted. It shouldnt have any problems meeting MOQ.

Overall - why are you making changes to the things people like with this set? Caps lock icon, windows icon, super.
Innovation for innovations sake is not needed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:15:11 by avid »

Offline Murrellz

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:09:26 »
I would definitely be in for this. Providing 3A/3C spacebars are added.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:14:18 »
125€? I'll take three  :thumb:

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:16:19 »
Very nice!

Its hard to tell from renders, but i assume same color codes are being used.

Some important things that are being left out:
-green & red spacebars

This is the most popular beige set, so i dont like changing icons. For example the windows logo keys are now super instead. Really dislike this change.

Also change back to the Caps-lock logo.

Maybe do a add-on kits that contained:
-red + green spacebar
-red + green f5-f8

Simular to the addon kit that was sold with GMK Muted. It shouldnt have any problems meeting MOQ.

Overall - why are you making changes to the things people like with this set? Caps lock icon, windows icon, super.
Innovation for innovations sake is not needed.

Hey!

Spacebars will be added for sure! The reason for changing the Caps Lock symbol to this one is because I personally feel like this icon looks a lot better, and I felt like a lot of people agreed with me. This can be changed of course! Same goes with the Windows key, I am not really a big fan of having a Windows key on my board and felt like "Super" is a more neutral option to go with but same story as with the Caps Lock icon, I'm open to changing it back or adding both options!

Thank you for your feedback!

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:17:28 »
125€? I'll take three  :thumb:

Please don't get mad at me if the price is high!  ;) Like I said it's what I want to aim for, but if the quote comes back higher than expected so will the price :/ I'm hoping I will be pleasantly surprised though!!

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:18:01 »
I would definitely be in for this. Providing 3A/3C spacebars are added.

I'm glad you're liking it!! Those options will be added for sure!!

Offline avid

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:23:29 »
If you doing spacebars, i really suggest you doing it as a addon kit.
It would be nice to have red + green spacebar in 6, 6.25 and 7. Including 6 spacebars in basekit will make it so expensive.

Also, spacebars are something that people like to stock up on, since it's something that gets shine first.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:25:54 »
If you doing spacebars, i really suggest you doing it as a addon kit.
It would be nice to have red + green spacebar in 6, 6.25 and 7. Including 6 spacebars in basekit will make it so expensive.

Also, spacebars are something that people like to stock up on, since it's something that gets shine first.

Yes, it will be an add-on kit! Will be 7, 6.25, 6 but I think adding 2.25 and 2.75 blanks might be good too for the split space users!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:26:54 »
I also agree the normal lock icon for caps would be better. That said I don't really care cause I put ctrl there anyway.

If you want text OS keys, you might consider Code instead of Super. Seems more standard and looks better on the 1u keys for 7u layouts with less chars. That said I don't care either way, just may make it easier for some to accept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:27:22 »
Any chance for an Asian Proxy? Am Sure alot of Aussies are interested, but normally shipping is crazy and kills the buy.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:29:34 »
Any chance for an Asian Proxy? Am Sure alot of Aussies are interested, but normally shipping is crazy and kills the buy.

Can be looked in to! Do you perhaps know anyone who has been an Asian proxy for GMK sets before? :)

Offline avid

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:31:11 »

Can be looked in to! Do you perhaps know anyone who has been an Asian proxy for GMK sets before? :)

You could always ask someone like kbdfans (china) who already has a storefront.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:32:21 »

You could always ask someone like kbdfans (china) who already has a storefront.

Ooh yeah good idea! I will write them an email today, thank you for the suggestion.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:38:32 »
And R5 bottom row?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline kekstee

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:41:50 »
Please don't use Code for Super, that's so nonsensical. I like how the GMK diamond (Originative Wob used that for example) goes with icon mods as a windows logo replacement. I do like Super as well, but it could look cramped on 1u.

Also I would always choose the German down arrow caps over the handbag. :P

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:42:23 »
And R5 bottom row?

Can be looked into again, but if I'm not mistaken I remember hearing that this can be quite costly?

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:42:58 »
Another Aussie here.. definitely in 100%. Was going to get into GMK laser but now this is up I am saving my keycap $$ allocation for this

It should be faster to get to GB right, since the set already exists and everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline avid

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:45:20 »
Another suggestion could be to change the stepped ctrl + ctrl (in caps space) to the old icon caps lock.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:46:34 »
Another Aussie here.. definitely in 100%. Was going to get into GMK laser but now this is up I am saving my keycap $$ allocation for this

It should be faster to get to GB right, since the set already exists and everything?

Glad to hear that you're excited! Yes, this can be pushed to the GB phase pretty quickly since I have done a lot of stuff that normally happens after an IC (doing renders, kit design, talking with vendors, submitting a quote, ...)!

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:48:00 »
Another suggestion could be to change the stepped ctrl + ctrl (in caps space) to the old icon caps lock.

As in having no option for a 1.75u control key, but offer 2 caps lock options? I'm not sure HHKB layout users are going to like that change  :)

Offline Goliath123

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:00:53 »
Will you be using the same colour codes (Both legend and base)? The 3B and 3A are so essential to many i'd believe.

Cheers for this also!!! yay
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:02:58 by Goliath123 »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:02:04 »
And R5 bottom row?

Can be looked into again, but if I'm not mistaken I remember hearing that this can be quite costly?
Yes R0 and R5 increase the retail price, not idea about how much though.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:09:43 »
I know kekkon is looking to do R2, have you dropped him a message?
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:14:36 »
Will you be using the same colour codes (Both legend and base)? The 3B and 3A are so essential to many i'd believe.

This is indeed using the L9 for the alphas, U9 for the modifiers, CR for legends and 3A and 3C for accents!

Offline avid

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:16:11 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 September 2017, 03:27:24 by avid »

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:16:25 »

He is? I didn't know no. I assumed running this wouldn't bring any issues about either way since the colours scheme was designed by Reuters and there were no issues with Jchan running the PBT version  :-X

Offline avid

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:17:22 »

Please run this and ignore others. And if you say you might run this in 6 months no work has really been put into it. He seems really busy with the dolch GB now.

At the end of the day, running GB is about getting it done. There will always be people who might run a set, but nothing happends until someone actually start an IC, speak with vendors etc. You're doing a great job janglad and seems to have most of it figured out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 September 2017, 03:27:58 by avid »

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:18:00 »
And R5 bottom row?

Yes R0 and R5 increase the retail price, not idea about how much though.

Alright, I will talk with GMK about this! I would personally love to see this too!

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:20:29 »

He is? I didn't know no. I assumed running this wouldn't bring any issues about either way since the colours scheme was designed by Reuters and there were no issues with Jchan running the PBT version  :-X

Please run this and ignore others. And if you say you might run this in 6 months no work has really been put into it. He seems really busy with the dolch GB now.

At the end of the day, running GB is about getting it done. There will always be people who might run a set, but nothing happends until someone actually start an IC, speak with vendors etc. You're doing a great job janglad and seems to have most of it figured out.

Thank you for the support! I have indeed already done a large part :) I will make sure I'm not running into personal issues here, but I would indeed love to run this!

Offline avid

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:21:22 »
to quote kekkon from 9009 thread:
"I have some plan for 9009R2 at January, but since then there are GMK Muted, Sherryton/Originative also bringing back GMK Classic beige to stock.

With so many Classic beige colorways around, I am not sure if R2 can make it."

NO this is not a 100% promise it will run. More of a maybe.

Janglad has/is:
-speaking to vendor
-render
-speaking with GMK

Whats left to do is some minor adjustments and we're off.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:22:39 »

I'm just saying, I know he wanted to run it after dolch was done, but he should be ok with it. Just thought it'll be a courtesy call to drop him a message? He's a cool guy about stuff like that :)

I mean, he did run R1. :)

(i'm basing this on a conversation i had with him on QQ, but it's up to you)

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline avid

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:25:45 »

Thank you for the support! I have indeed already done a large part :) I will make sure I'm not running into personal issues here, but I would indeed love to run this!

This will be the fastest IC => GB ever seen thanks to the work done behind the scenes. Having the keycaps in Q1 18 - i know alot of us wants and no more r mk 9009 scalpers (recently a set sold for $375)

Offline vegs

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:26:07 »
100% in.

Any hope for international kit?
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:27:24 »

This will be the fastest IC => GB ever seen thanks to the work done behind the scenes. Having the keycaps in Q1 18 - i know alot of us wants and no more r mk 9009 scalpers (recently a set sold for $375)

Couldn't be more happy about this. Just let me know when to pay!

You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline avid

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:30:36 »
100% in.

Int kit is always impossible outside of massdrop.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:34:01 »

I'm just saying, I know he wanted to run it after dolch was done, but he should be ok with it. Just thought it'll be a courtesy call to drop him a message? He's a cool guy about stuff like that :)

Although I personally think nobody in this community owns 9009, just like everybody can run Dolch, I don't want any drama unfolding here so yes, I will shoot him a PM :)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:34:45 »
100% in.

Sadly I'm afraid that that won't be possible MOQ wise, and kits not hitting MOQ isn't fun for anyone :(

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:40:49 »

Although I personally think nobody in this community owns 9009, just like everybody can run Dolch, I don't want any drama unfolding here so yes, I will shoot him a PM :)
Yeap I agree, and so does he, cheers and good luck with this! It's definitely one that everyone is looking forward to :)

Offline Goliath123

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:41:27 »

This is indeed using the L9 for the alphas, U9 for the modifiers, CR for legends and 3A and 3C for accents!

The first 9009 used 3B and 3C, are you changing it for round 2?

Thanks again!

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:42:53 »
Definitely in for 1 or 2 sets. Would also like an international kit and it would be even cooler if we could get a novelties kit with some of the original Reuters legends.

177294-0

Offline olieatstofu

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:46:53 »
Will there be 40% support?

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:47:14 »
Definitely in for this set.

Offline ullr

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:48:18 »
OP just start telling strangers you meet you ran 9009 R2 and if you ever run into me I'll buy you a beer for adding accent color ISO enters  :-*
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:50:02 by ullr »

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:49:21 »

The first 9009 used 3B and 3C, are you changing it for round 2?

Thanks again!

3A and 3C were the colors from GMK Muted accent kit, original 9009 used 3B and 3C

177296-0

177298-1