Author Topic: Keyboards with 5u spacebar  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Learis

Keyboards with 5u spacebar
« on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 21:26:47 »
Greetings everyone, been a while.

I'm looking for mechanical keyboards that have shorter spacebars around the 5u length. Basically, they go from the c key to the m key. This is very common in the laptop chiclet keyboards.

The reason I enjoy this layout so much is that it allows me to remap those modifier keys beside the spacebar to be special layer keys that I can easily reach with my thumbs. It's quite difficult to reach these keys with my thumb on the typical longer sized spacebar.

Does anyone have a list of some mechanical keyboards like this? Bonus points if it's low profile. Bonus points again for the compact 96 key layout.
Mend and Defend

Offline wjrii

Re: Keyboards with 5u spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 22:47:38 »
I ended up with something similar to that with my DIY no-stabs boards, though they're definitely not low profile, and the 5.25u space area is really four keys. Here's the second one.

Offline Mandan

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 21:06:00 »
Unicomp makes a keyboard with a 5U spacebar; they sell the spacebar separately.  I think it was originally for their Japanese-spec layout.

Those are for IBM buckling spring switches, so probably not helpful for you, but you might look at the spacebars made for Japanese-spec boards that take your switch type.

Offline latnboy1

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 00:15:23 »
Unicomp makes a keyboard with a 5U spacebar; they sell the spacebar separately.  I think it was originally for their Japanese-spec layout.
Quick Draw
Those are for IBM buckling spring switches, so probably not helpful for you, but you might look at the spacebars made for Japanese-spec boards that take your switch type.
yes, thank you for this information

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 02:49:46 »
Split spacebar 2.75u+2.25u is more practical with many keycaps sets including those sizes.
It also gives you more functionality i.e. one can be used as Backspace.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 13:08:33 »
I have never seen it but interesting. Maybe split space could be 5u.
I'm a Color lover and a designer.