Author Topic: New here! :-)  (Read 4207 times)

Offline WelcomeToMacintosh

New here! :-)
« on: Sun, 18 January 2009, 19:41:50 »
Hey everyone! I'm new to posting here at geekhack.org, but I've been reading all the posts here. My name is Tommy Thomas. I don't know how many of you here have heard of Low End Mac. I write the Welcome To Macintosh column. Like all of you, I love a good quality keyboard! It's an integral part of that perfect communication between a user and their computer. I actually did reviews on the Apple Extended, Extended II and Avant Prime keyboards. I also did an interview with Brandon at clickykeyboards.com.

I'm looking for more keyboards to review, and wondered if anyone here had any spares they'd part with for me to review? Particularly anything that uses a buckling spring or that uses ALPS keyswitches. :-)

Thanks in advance! I love it that so many people share the same love of a good keyboard that I do!

Tommy Thomas
Welcome To Macintosh
Low End Mac

Offline lam47

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 January 2009, 19:42:56 »
Hi.
Where are you?
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 January 2009, 19:45:07 »
I live in South Carolina.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 January 2009, 20:56:32 »
Not that I would part with mine (sorry :) ), but you can find the Dell AT101w for around $10on ebay, and it's yours to keep.  Dell might be the anithesis to Apple, so to speak, and you might even have a matter/antimatter explosion in your office, but the Dell is a fantastic Alps-based keyboard to try out.

BTW, welcome to GeekHack!!!  Enjoy your stay. :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 January 2009, 22:30:12 »
I'm on the verge of putting my entire collection on eBay. I found the best keyboard on Earth (for me, at least) in the Topre Realforce 86U. The bummer is that it most likely will never be retailed in this country. And I would sooner give head than loan this keyboard out to even my best of friends. I'm also a professional writer, so this keyboard is my lifeline.

Why don't you get review 'boards? Das sends them out. I think DSI and Unicomp would loan you one. You should also contact Gigabyte — their new mechanical gaming keyboard looks pretty hardcore. Do you get press credentials from the site?  If you do, review keyboards should be a snap to get.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 January 2009, 22:38:25 »
As itlnstln mentioned, NIB (new in box) Dell AT101W's (black Alps, tactile, non-clicky) can be found on eBay for cheap.  Also, new buckling spring 'boards can be had from Unicomp's online store.  

I have read some of your reviews in the past and did enjoy them.  Glad to see you hanging around geekhack.  Welcome!

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 07:58:23 »
Thank you for your kind words iMav! :-) I've contacted Unicomp so we'll see what they have to say. I'll give some of the other companies a look too. I'd still be interested if someone here has a spare keyboard they'd like for me to review. :-)

What are some other good clicky-type keyboards? Of course there's the Model M and Northgate, but what others rank supreme?

I remember I came EXTREMELY close to snagging a Northgate Omnikey with the F-keys on the left (never used a keyboard like that), although it was missing the cable. I didn't have any money on me, and by the time I did, someone had bought it the next day at my local Salvation Army. Anyone here wouldn't happen to have one would they? :-P

Thanks for welcoming me and for a great place to discuss our love of keyboards!

Tommy Thomas
Welcome To Macintosh
Low End Mac

Offline bigpook

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 08:37:23 »
If you want something more recent; there is the Filco with white XM switches. Lots of click and lots of noise.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:15:08 »
Quote from: WelcomeToMacintosh;18708
I'd still be interested if someone here has a spare keyboard they'd like for me to review. :-)

Hi Tommy. I'm new on this forum too. I think it may be a bit difficult for you to get people to send their keyboards for you to review. I don't know about others here, but I would definitely not send my keyboards. People can call me selfish, but there are some things I don't like to share, and these include: my pens, watches, computers, and keyboards. This is because I'm person with a huge OCD problem. I wash my hands before I start typing on my keyboards at home :)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:16:35 »
There are some people on here that have loaned out keyboards to people. (Sometimes in a try-before-you-buy arrangement, sometimes just straight up to loan them out. The Scorpius M10 I'm typing on right now was loaned to another member to try it out, and then sent to me to try-before-I-bought.)

Offline lam47

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:25:00 »
I would have been happy to loan a board or two but the distance is just too far to make it a viable option.
I would think anyone borrowing a keyboard would take the utmost care of it and not eat near it etc.
Having said that I see my friends eat crisps and play on the xbox at the same time.
This kind of thing makes me feel physically sick. Does that make me weird or just clean?

Think I just talked myself out of lending boards to anyone but those I know well.
Never mind.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:25:03 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;21338
There are some people on here that have loaned out keyboards to people. (Sometimes in a try-before-you-buy arrangement, sometimes just straight up to loan them out. The Scorpius M10 I'm typing on right now was loaned to another member to try it out, and then sent to me to try-before-I-bought.)

Wow! I did not know that. This makes me feel stupid now :| I've always been someone who is overprotective of some of his stuffs.

Offline lam47

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:28:28 »
Oh and washing your hands before typing I would consider quite normal.
The term OCD should only be used if you have been diagnosed.
Sorry its just a bit personal as my twin brother has it very badly. It can be very very serious and is the physical response to a deep rooted mental health problem.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:31:28 »
Quote from: lam47;21341

The term OCD should only be used if you have been diagnosed.

Agreed.  I have been diagnosed with OCD & social anxiety disorder and it really irks me when people say "oh I have OCD" when in actuality they have no idea of the hell I go through everyday.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:40:18 »
Agreed. I have been diagnosed with OCD & social anxiety disorder and it really irks me when people say "oh I have OCD" when in actuality they have no idea of the hell I go through everyday.

Believe me. I don't take OCD or any psychological disorders lightly, but I'm not going to discuss my health issues in details :) Suffice to say that I've gone through some rough times, and I have also taken a few Psychology classes at University of Waterloo to know what I'm talking about.

Now, let's get back to talking keyboards, shall we? :)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:42:50 »
Believe me. I don't take OCD or any psychological disorders lightly, but I'm not going to discuss my health issues in details :) Suffice to say that I've gone through some rough times, and I have also taken a few Psychology classes at University of Waterloo to know what I'm talking about.

Now, let's get back to talking keyboards, shall we? :)

Offline lam47

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:43:49 »
Sure thing patrick I mean no offence. :)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:43:50 »
I have Gonaherpasyphillaids. :(

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 15:54:03 »
Quote from: lam47;21346
Sure thing patrick I mean no offence. :)

None taken. Life is too short to get angry over words. Better enjoy this time on a keyboard, or with my baby girl. To her, I'll gladly offer my keyboard :-)

Quote from: itlnstln;21347
I have Gonaherpasyphillaids. :(

Oh Boy!