Author Topic: Massdrop Metal HHKB Case - Ask Me Anything  (Read 90295 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: Massdrop Metal HHKB Case - Ask Me Anything
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 14:59:31 »
Have you noticed any pingy sounds coming out of it? Something like here:

Also, have you tried lubing/silencing the sliders?

Ah, cool comparison to bring up. So for those that dont know, these old Nissho keyboards have quite a bit of metal in them. They are built a lot like Model F's, with thick plastic tops and metal bottoms. This creates a much higher pitched sound than the modern Hi Pro, for example. Think of the difference being like that between a Model M and Model F.

In the case of this case (pun?), the sound is coming front the plastic caps hitting the top of the slider housing. No silencing can prevent this sound, as all the standard Topre silencing is done on the underside, to prevent noise on the upstoke. In my live stream i did use hypersphere rings on the entire top row, and there is absolutely no difference in sound.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Jedi

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:24:31 »
I think with all this effort on discussing the case, isn't it time for Massdrop to drop a HHKB?  I personally never owned a HHKB in spite of several MX and Topre boards and not trying to veer the topic but just thinking that given the timing with dropping a case, perhaps it would be a good idea to drop a HHKB just for fun's sake.  I think we'll all look back 10 years from now and see people buying up this case with a crazy markup.  I'm all about the aluminum case (as MD certainly knows) and I would have bought one of these but alas no keyboard to go with it. 

Offline MassdropAlex

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 12:31:30 »
I think with all this effort on discussing the case, isn't it time for Massdrop to drop a HHKB?  I personally never owned a HHKB in spite of several MX and Topre boards and not trying to veer the topic but just thinking that given the timing with dropping a case, perhaps it would be a good idea to drop a HHKB just for fun's sake.  I think we'll all look back 10 years from now and see people buying up this case with a crazy markup.  I'm all about the aluminum case (as MD certainly knows) and I would have bought one of these but alas no keyboard to go with it.

We definitely want HHKB on the site. Just gotta convince PFU. I also seem to remember some issues with it not being cleared/certified with the FCC or something. Been awhile since I did all that research. In any case, the HHKB is high on our 'make it happen' list. 

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 12:45:53 »

We definitely want HHKB on the site. Just gotta convince PFU. I also seem to remember some issues with it not being cleared/certified with the FCC or something. Been awhile since I did all that research. In any case, the HHKB is high on our 'make it happen' list.

Yeah there is. Not quite sure how Brian at EK is managing it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 22:50:09 »

Old Bri probably flies on over to Japan as a brief holiday loads a few suitcases with your HHKBs, then flies back home.  Simple way of getting the HHKBs into the US of A.

I've flown over to Indonesia, Malaysia and South Korea and brought back tons of gear via my suitcases, all without any permission slips required.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 22:51:53 »
For whatever reason, this wouldnt surprise me one little bit.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 22:53:50 »

Old Bri probably flies on over to Japan as a brief holiday loads a few suitcases with your HHKBs, then flies back home.  Simple way of getting the HHKBs into the US of A.

I've flown over to Indonesia, Malaysia and South Korea and brought back tons of gear via my suitcases, all without any permission slips required.

Would this run concurrently with you bringing back tons of other 'gear' without permission slips via the rectum?

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:17:45 »
Man, saw this topic bumped and got excited thinking there was an update regarding another go at a metal HHKB case.  Though I guess now I might be contributing to that for someone else.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 19:31:21 »
Would this run concurrently with you bringing back tons of other 'gear' without permission slips via the rectum?

Why, are you offering yours for rent  ;) ?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 19:34:47 »

Why, are you offering yours for rent  ;) ?

I retract my statement

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 00:58:01 »
In update on this? I have not seen anything on it. Did it ever drop?