Author Topic: All you hackers and coders and not one of you brought donglegate attention  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Lanx

here's the story
http://arstechnica.com/staff/2013/03/donglegate-is-classic-overreaction-and-everyone-pays/

long story short, TLDR

conference, 2 guys talk about larger dongle and forking something (i don't actually understand this reference) to EACH OTHER, girl in front of them hears them.

she see's a pic a little girl on the big screen and thinks "if i don't do anything that little girl will never know how to code cuz of these 2 assclowns who are having their own private conversation"

she snaps a pic of them, posts on twitter and alerts the python authorities, via twitter, she didn't want to TALK to them.

TLDR again
1 guy get's fired, her company (she's an evangelist, now WTF is an evangelist? i googled it and all i get are religious crap, i'll just say she's a blogger) starts getting DOS attacks from anonymous, they fire her.

my opinion? the girl is stupid, well obviously she got fired, but mind your own business, it's an A and B conversation C you later. Too bad she has sensitive hearing. Also this "exposing" **** to the social networks is getting stupid, it's like she found "power" in her twitter followers, sad.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
I think we all acknowledge that the whole fiasco is stupid.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
The issue of greatest importance here is...

You can't behave afk, like you do online.

THIS is the take away.. don't worry about any of the other details... in fact, forget them..

Leave drama to queens. male/female

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
What, you can't make bad jokes about forking and dongles? That's about as offensive as pointing at a cloud and going "heh, that cloud looks like a penis".
And if someone's offended by that they're the sort of person who's just going around wanting to be offended so get something to get worked up about. And I think we can all agree that people who want to be offended should be ignored.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
How comfortable would many of you guys feel if me and a dozen friends were making period jokes and you were the only guy in the room? It's normal and completely harmless yet many guys are uncomfortable with the whole idea and therefore not typically discussed in mixed company. The same applies here, it's a matter of propriety.

While she over-reacted to that incident, go read some of the stories of women at other conferences and you will see why she was fed up. It's so bad that lot of women are at this point are (very vocally) boycotting E3 over similar treatment, being groped repeatedly, or treated as if they were just a silly girl who knew nothing. It's not just there either, go look at the number of women taking CS courses and working in I.T. in general, compared to a few years ago, the numbers are in near free-fall. Women are more and more interested in tech, but leaving the field in droves over how they are getting treated. Geeks aren't exactly know for their manners and people skills.

My guess is she decided this was her stand (as ill conceived as it was).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
snip

It's a good argument, but after reading the articles it seems this wasn't so much about her, more "please think of the children" because apparently a little girl wouldn't be able to learn coding because someone thought dongle sounded like penis.

And yes, a lot of somewhat nerdy communities have problems dealing with women properly(for instance this incident and the Sarkeesian incident; rape threats? Seriously?), but making jokes about how "forking repositories" and "big dongles" sound dirty is hardly sexist in any way. I probably know just as many females who'd laugh at seeing the phrase "big dongle" somewhere as I know males who would.

Edit;
And I think the period discussion is slightly off, it would be more like women discussing how some object looks or sounds like a vagina. That's it. From what I gathered from the article the repository forking was a serious discussions, and the only joke made was about how dongle reminds people of penis.

Next we'll have people getting offended because cables and plugs often use the term "male" and "female".
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 16:48:02 by vun »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
And I think the period discussion is slightly off, it would be more like women discussing how some object looks or sounds like a vagina. That's it.
Yes, because guys will totally be disgusted or frustrated by women saying something looks like a vagina.

I would think that would only bring them running.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Pretty sure this has been done to death by nearly every tech-news site that ever wanted to have an opinion.

>The woman who tweeted the pic, should have just asked them to be quiet like normal people do in real life.
>The 'Internets' reaction has for the most part been pretty disgusting and poorly representative of males with a brain (I hope).
>She, and the guy making **** jokes shouldn't have lost there jobs over it.

Though the woman in this story and the that woman making video's highlighting sexism in gaming getting death/rape threats etc etc highlights that there is a problem.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 18:03:02 by baldgye »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Pretty sure this has been done to death by nearly every tech-news site that ever wanted to have an opinion.
And everyone's probably focusing on the wrong thing. Nobody should care that some guys who work with tech made a dongle ****-joke, it's pretty much the most inoffensive **** joke there is, what they should make a fuss over is people spouting death-threats and rape threats at the lady.

Edit:
baldgye's ninja-edit was spot on.

Also, the part about idiots spamming Sarkeesian with death threats has already been discussed to death a couple of times over at The Escapist. But there's a new topic about sexism there at least once a week, so pretty much everything that has to do with sexism and gaming has probably been discussed to death there already.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 18:07:23 by vun »

Offline Lanx

no one told me what a tech evangelist is!

wtf is that?

also i really don't understand the forking thing...

cheers!

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
All you hackers and coders and not one of you brought donglegate attention
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 18:53:30 »
I'm glad she got fired. She seemed to have an agenda from the start. Google some of her erased tweets. She is such a hypocrite. "Black people can't be racist because you have to be in power"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Woman overreacts... news worthy indeed...? :D

As for them being in the tech field.....

Going into the future... it is quite obvious that further specialization will put ALL women at odds with their biology..

Specialized work such as high level coding, "this excludes basic client stuff like sap/ oracle", requires insane amounts of time..

And given more advancements in the future... the job would only get deeper..

Even today, many women pursuing a career track has to choose that "or" reproduction..  you can't have both....

Unless we are to assume many women can abandon biology and just "WORK"....

There will always be this "GAP" in the workforce... both in mindset, and exchange

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Many people think there is "injustice"  in the market,,

but it's the result of a NATURAL division of labor....   ONE in which a man can't overcome even if he chooses, because it would require EVERY man to choose thus..

Until the day we have  PERFECT gender reassignment...  "all women"   will never produce the same output in the work market as "all men"

Because the "work"   would get in the way of women's congenital birth appendage...  of which we MUST USE.....

So, either we perfect "gender reassignment" OR "Iron womb"

till that day... it's not about women's rights, it's about biology.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
this whole story was so stupid. i dont know about you mother****ers but as someone in IT we talk like this nonstop. it is a total sausage fest at every IT department i have worked at for the last 13 years. that lady needs to get over herself. she was eavesdropping.

it does suck those dudes lost their jobs. that is bull****. 
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
this whole story was so stupid. i dont know about you mother****ers but as someone in IT we talk like this nonstop. it is a total sausage fest at every IT department i have worked at for the last 13 years. that lady needs to get over herself. she was eavesdropping.

:D

Offline iri

what this sane 'murican said
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple

but it's the result of a NATURAL division of labor....   ONE in which a man can't overcome even if he chooses, because it would require EVERY man to choose thus..

Until the day we have  PERFECT gender reassignment...  "all women"   will never produce the same output in the work market as "all men"

Because the "work"   would get in the way of women's congenital birth appendage...  of which we MUST USE.....

Glad to see GH is getting it's fair share of idiotic posts on this subject

Offline vun

• Just one more thing

Glad to see GH is getting it's fair share of idiotic posts on this subject
Are you saying you've found a way to decipher tp4's posts? Because I almost understood about 1 sentence of that post, the rest I don't even...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Haha kinda what I was getting at, though I think I get the gist of what he's trying to say

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
wtf dudes... what don't you get?

it's all quite straight forward...
No one gets T4P...
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline RougeR

some say she misinterpreted them and it wasnt even sexual.

anyway shes a stupid ***** end of.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
This thread is a good yard stick for finding out which members you'll never have to worry about talking to seriously

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
This thread is a good yard stick for finding out which members you'll never have to worry about talking to seriously

Very true! :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker

That's for sure. 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Just let the witch burn. It's only a pity she's put other people on fire.