Author Topic: [IC] Duck Lightsaver V3  (Read 82639 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] Duck Lightsaver V3
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 00:15:07 »
i have been seriously considering selling my ZZ96 for a 96-key with better construction/build quality. i would love to get a LSV3, but i have reservations about the programmability of duck boards. i have an octagon V2 and Viper V2 on the way. has Duck made any improvements on his software, or has anyone found a way to flash bootmapperclient to duck boards? the winkeyless software is infinitely easier to use - especially for english speakers

I found the program atmel flip to work very well for my Duck BlackBird

is that for programming the keyboard itself or flashing firmware to it so i can use bootmapper?

Offline Trente

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 02:37:22 »
Definitely want one

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 06:03:27 »
i have been seriously considering selling my ZZ96 for a 96-key with better construction/build quality. i would love to get a LSV3, but i have reservations about the programmability of duck boards. i have an octagon V2 and Viper V2 on the way. has Duck made any improvements on his software, or has anyone found a way to flash bootmapperclient to duck boards? the winkeyless software is infinitely easier to use - especially for english speakers

is that for programming the keyboard itself or flashing firmware to it so i can use bootmapper?

I'm really curious as to why you think zz96 is of poor build quality.

My wife uses a zz96 next to me using a octagon v2 daily and I see almost no difference in build quality.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 15:50:12 »

My wife uses a zz96 next to me using a octagon v2 daily and I see almost no difference in build quality.

i dont think its poor build quality, its just not as quality as some other customs out there. keep in mind i have a V1, so i have dealt with all kinds of issues from RGBs going out, the PCB not lining up with standoffs, and both cases are threaded, so if you dont get the screw to line up just right, the two halves will not seat properly.

I consider my Octagon V2 to be superior build quality because there are no issues like this with the pcb or case assembly. imo, kits where the plate fastens to the top case are better designed

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 20:31:01 »

I recently built my own boards, a B.mini EX X2 and a ZZ96 I bought from another enthusiast. The winkeyless PCB had a very clean looking PCB, the diodes are all aligned almost perfectly. The ZZ96 had diodes twisting and turning a bit, and one diode was soldered on the wrong polarity so I had to resolder it. Case finish wasn't flawless. Sold the ZZ96 after a month or so.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline paulforgione

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 21:50:51 »
Just throwing my interest out there as well. Hopefully there are plenty to go around.

Offline owacle

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 22:27:27 »
My zz96 is pretty close to flawless but if LS is significantly better I'd be keen on getting involved.

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 01:28:56 »
+1

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 01:42:04 »
This may have already been answered but does this layout support split backspace?

Offline LDobler

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 01:43:09 »
This may have already been answered but does this layout support split backspace?
Yes

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 07:21:50 »
Yep  I'm ready for this. 

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 11:54:37 »
I'd probably pick one up

Offline LightofNite

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:45:55 »
For keyboards like these, is it possible to ever get replacement PCBs in the future or no? I'd like this board to go with long haul with me.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:48:03 »
For keyboards like these, is it possible to ever get replacement PCBs in the future or no? I'd like this board to go with long haul with me.

There is normally an extra PCB+Plate option with Ducks GBs.

Highly recommended to get one, they will be almost impossible to get in the future.

Offline ClearKeys

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:36:57 »
How does the Lightsaver v3 compare to the v2? I did some research but am curious to all differences.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:16:12 »
How does the Lightsaver v3 compare to the v2? I did some research but am curious to all differences.

Seems pretty minor. The case has been updated to match the style used in Ducks latest boards.

PCB will have RGB underglow and the case has acrylic spacers so you can see that.

Offline Jeu

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:30:02 »

Highly recommended to get one, they will be almost impossible to get in the future.
Can confirm, didn't get an extra with my blackbird and wish I did. Get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SpareWalrus

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:32:46 »
Interested! Currently selling off keyboards to make sure PayPal is ready to go!

Offline LightofNite

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 12:02:04 »

What was wrong with your first PCB? I don't think a PCB would break that easily but I was thinking about getting one just in case ~10 years later something happens.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 12:03:47 »

What was wrong with your first PCB? I don't think a PCB would break that easily but I was thinking about getting one just in case ~10 years later something happens.

People also get a 2nd PCB and plate so they can swap out the switches that are being used in the case. Desoldering and resoldering switches on a 'hard to source' PCB is not something I want to be doing very often.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 12:25:46 »

People also get a 2nd PCB and plate so they can swap out the switches that are being used in the case. Desoldering and resoldering switches on a 'hard to source' PCB is not something I want to be doing very often.

This was my reason for adding a spare.  Also, while I prefer clicky switches I know that a lot of people prefer linear, so if I wanted to sell my board I have an unused PCB that someone could use to solder whatever switch type they may want.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline naps250

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 23:22:38 »
Have been following this for the last couple of years so I'm definitely interested.

Do we know if the V3 PCB will fit the acrylic case Duck designed for LS some time ago? (http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?document_srl=209&mid=board_housing)

Thanks  :)

Offline mustcode

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 04:07:26 »
On the topic of should we get extra PCBs as spare... does it make sense to do a hot swappable build just in case you want to change the switches, so that you don't need to re-solder and risk screwing up the PCB?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 04:15:38 »
On the topic of should we get extra PCBs as spare... does it make sense to do a hot swappable build just in case you want to change the switches, so that you don't need to re-solder and risk screwing up the PCB?
I did that with my Black Bird and it worked well. But the hot swap sockets are just as expensive as another PCB, so I think that it depends on the user in the end.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 12:37:27 »

Seems pretty minor. The case has been updated to match the style used in Ducks latest boards.

PCB will have RGB underglow and the case has acrylic spacers so you can see that.

Aesthetically it's minor. However, the keyboard itself has a major difference.

LSv2 is tray style where the PCB/plate are held via standoffs. LSv3 is top-mounted plate. In terms of typing feeling, top-mounted should feel a lot better than tray style.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Phrillis

• mod-colored pipe connoisseur
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 14:14:11 »
Ughhh...I'm torn. This or save up for a 1080 Ti?!?!?!?  :confused: :confused: :confused:
TGR Jane v2 ME | Mode 80 1st Ed. | KFE CE | Ottantaquattro | Freyr | CW88 | Frog TKL | Noxary 280 | Noxary 380 | U80-A SEQ-2 | KBD8X MK II | ElectroType 87
TC-V3 | CW60 | Ladybird | Kira EXS

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 14:24:28 »
Ughhh...I'm torn. This or save up for a 1080 Ti?!?!?!?  :confused: :confused: :confused:

The 1080 Ti will drop from $699 to $499
The Lightsaver V3 will increase from $499 to $699
You decide  :cool:

Offline LightofNite

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 14:54:01 »

Curious as to where you got your numbers on the LSv3 from. IIRC the KR GB was only around $340 USD.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 14:57:56 »
Always wait on video cards. 12 months from now graphics demands will barely increase but prices will certainly drop
keyboards.

Offline Jeu

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 19:41:41 »

Blackbird was around $430 shipped to US without extra plate/pcb. So $500 is about right assuming that is a reasonable comparison in boards.
Curious as to where you got your numbers on the LSv3 from. IIRC the KR GB was only around $340 USD.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2017, 21:56:34 by Jeu »

Offline lac29

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 20:20:40 »
Eagerly awaiting this to open up for buying. Gotta save up in anticipation!

Offline SparrowHAWX

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 23:00:42 »
If it's not outrageously expensive, I'm in.

Offline kaevix

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 23:13:23 »
...I need this.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 23:18:26 »
$360-400 + shipping is realistic IMO. 
keyboards.

Offline Shados

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 23:46:36 »
Hey elton, can you give us a rough idea of when the GB will be? e.g. within the next fortnight, within the next month... Would be good to know for budgeting purposes.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 10:18:16 »
...and also will this be about the same as the duck/viper drop where it sells out in a few hours? or will there be more than 50? 100?   
-Dana

Offline Data

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 10:47:07 »
I'm interested but I doubt I would be able to grab one before they sell out.

It's either this or the 96 key that has been teased on Massdrop Slack a few times. :P

Offline longtran1568

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 10:57:33 »

It's either this or the 96 key that has been teased on Massdrop Slack a few times. :P

I think you could always order a 96 keys kit from Winkeyless :)

Offline ClearKeys

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 12:05:21 »

Is there any more info on this 96 board from Massdrop? A duck is nice but I just really want a 96 layout and have missed the last few groupbuys :(

Offline Data

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 12:31:14 »

Is there any more info on this 96 board from Massdrop? A duck is nice but I just really want a 96 layout and have missed the last few groupbuys :(

Thesiscamper has teased renders of a 96-key codenamed "Kira" several times in the Massdrop Slack.  It's only a concept at this point, but MD seems pretty serious about doing a drop someday.  I don't know if he wants his images shared here.  I'll ask if I see him.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 14:04:00 »

Thesiscamper has teased renders of a 96-key codenamed "Kira" several times in the Massdrop Slack.  It's only a concept at this point, but MD seems pretty serious about doing a drop someday.  I don't know if he wants his images shared here.  I'll ask if I see him.

its the 96-key he uses in all his keycap renders. i will definitely sell my ZZ96 when the Kira comes out

Offline ClearKeys

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 16:22:08 »

its the 96-key he uses in all his keycap renders. i will definitely sell my ZZ96 when the Kira comes out

Ah ok, I've seen it then I believe. Def a nice case, i think I prefer it to the duck. Would be excited to hear things soon about it

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:37:53 »

Sometimes I wonder if people buy boards solely for the hope of the aftermarket premium. This mentality is not dissimilar to ticket scalping.

Just buy what you love.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:39:46 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 21:20:34 »

Sometimes I wonder if people buy boards solely for the hope of the aftermarket premium. This mentality is not dissimilar to ticket scalping.

Just buy what you love.

It was just a figure of speech. By the way, I was not talking about the resale value, but the actual purchasing and usage value. One really ages well with time and the other's value drops as soon as you click the buy button. 3 years later and you still appreciate the Duck board, at the same time you will want to dump the 1080 Ti just around next year when they introduce the 2080 Ti

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 23:02:53 »

Ah ok, I've seen it then I believe. Def a nice case, i think I prefer it to the duck. Would be excited to hear things soon about it

Not to distract from the awesome lightsaver, or this discussion.. but the Kira is scheduled to be produced by Input Club (producers of infinity 60%, whitefox, k-type, etc) I assume when the K-type development and sale is complete.  They've partnered with Massdrop in the past, so it's a likely avenue for the Kira sale as well. 
keyboards.

Offline ClearKeys

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 09:42:27 »

Not to distract from the awesome lightsaver, or this discussion.. but the Kira is scheduled to be produced by Input Club (producers of infinity 60%, whitefox, k-type, etc) I assume when the K-type development and sale is complete.  They've partnered with Massdrop in the past, so it's a likely avenue for the Kira sale as well.

I feel waiting for the Kira may be the better option for what I would like. I think all discussion is good since this is an interest check and also, I doubt much can hurt the sales of the Duck. Thanks for the info.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 22:59:10 »
nope.. every duck is going to sell out  :thumb:
keyboards.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 10:02:59 »
Half of the US Duck/Eagle orders have shipped with the second half shipping within a few weeks. Lightsaver V3 should be just around the corner.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:54:14 »

I feel waiting for the Kira may be the better option for what I would like. I think all discussion is good since this is an interest check and also, I doubt much can hurt the sales of the Duck. Thanks for the info.

I came across some info about kira awhile ago and can't seem to find it again. Where is the best place to keep track of what is going on with that project?

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:59:50 »

I came across some info about kira awhile ago and can't seem to find it again. Where is the best place to keep track of what is going on with that project?

http://www.keyrenders.com/interest-checks/