Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2353958 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #3150 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 23:10:15 »
As requested, I am working on reorganizing the manual on the project web site so that new folks can follow it step by step when their new Model F keyboard arrives.  Attached is the first draft.  I am thinking it will also be made in to a (more professionally formatted!) PDF as well.

Constructive feedback on what specifically to change, add, and reword would be much appreciated - please also feel free to reply over PM or email if you'd prefer.  If anyone wants to edit directly from the Word document please do use the Track Changes feature.

The goal is to make the guide suitable for a complete beginner and cover every possibility that they may encounter during the setup process or after they have been using their keyboard a while, so they do not have to look around various places for answers.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3151 on: Mon, 31 October 2022, 21:27:43 »
For those who have been using their new Model F keyboards for 1-2+ years at this point, I am curious about the operational maintenance needed after the first month or so as things were settling in.  Keys, spring adjustment, etc.  Please do share!

I know that on my original IBM F122, after a few years' usage the textured key tops showed signs of wear and one or two springs started to buzz, requiring re-seating or replacement.  And an ultrasonic clean is needed every now and then for the keys - overdue for mine :)

Offline BlissOnTap

« Reply #3152 on: Mon, 31 October 2022, 21:54:02 »
My F77 was made on 05-22-2020. Held up very well. No chipped paint, still looks new. And I am pretty rough on keyboards. Firmware has been replaced a few times and has always been a smooth process. Springs were all replaced with Model M springs out of preference for increased weight and tactility. Print on keycaps are still sharp. Screws on the controller stayed tight. Only issues have been ones that I caused with tinkering so much.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3153 on: Fri, 04 November 2022, 12:49:03 »
Thanks BlissOnTap; everyone please keep the feedback coming, for those who have used their keyboards for over a year at this point!

Also has anyone had a chance to review the draft manual posted last week?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3154 on: Sat, 05 November 2022, 00:07:48 »
Major project updates:

The 4000th keyboard shipped this week!  4036 keyboards have shipped in total.

Backlog is done:  I have completely caught up with the backlog!  All outstanding orders comprising the backlog have shipped, not counting 27 orders on hold due to various reasons:  17 orders-partially paid, 3-waiting for them to reply, and 7-other reasons that prevent me from shipping the order). 

All F62/F77 keyboards and accessories are in stock, with the exception of 1.75 stepped keys which will be sublimated this month (I ordered blank keys from Unicomp and mailed them to the factory doing the sublimation).  This "all in stock" is a major change in the project, as opposed to the previous "made to order" nature of the project.  I'm hoping that all current and future orders can ship in 1-2 weeks, and likely sooner, but don't hold me to this as anything could happen.

Over the coming week I hope to prepare a beam spring video / higher quality sound test and create the product pages and maybe take some additional photos, so please look out for an email if you signed the beam spring interest form posted earlier (and reposted in the past week or so).  The in-stock beam spring keyboards will be reserved and quantity limited with priority to those who signed up the earliest.  Those who signed up will also have the option to order the second round beam spring keyboard, whose design is now finalized into the modified 3101 style.  Some time after, orders will open up to those who did not sign the interest form.

Recently I located a nice PBT double shot MX set with the key tops partially sunken, similar but not a match to the IBM originals.  I believe these to be one of the closest matches out there.  I hope to receive these beam spring key set samples later this month and then I will post photos and likely order them.  The molds are already produced but the color scheme for the project has not been produced - they are custom making the key colors for this project.  The PBT double shot key set options will be:
(1) all black color keys with white legends, or
(2) black modifier keys with white legends and all other keys will be white with black legends

While the factory does not have double shot molds for the international language keys, they do offer ISO Enter, short left shift, and a few dozen additional keys beyond the standard 104, which I expect to offer as well, so the tradeoff of using a modified ISO layout with some "incorrect" keys may be worth it to some international layout users to be able to use these new keys.  (As a note, the factory whose double shot sample keys were pictured in the beam spring product photos has not been responsive so I have been looking at these other factories).

To keep things simple and to help cover the costs of these custom made keys which have a high minimum order quantity, the round 1 keyboard cost will include $10 (US) and $15 (international) for separate shipping of the round 1 key sets, whether you order a set or not.  No more trying to collect separate payments and holding off on orders like years ago for early Model F orders - everything in stock will be shipping out to everyone without waiting for keys to arrive.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3155 on: Thu, 10 November 2022, 16:16:15 »
I am hoping to make a short introductory video to the Model F keyboards project for the project web site. 

Looking for some good-quality 10 to 20 second videos from the community:  Over the coming days I'm hoping you can send over some good quality, well-lit 4k UHD or 1080p video clips and photos of yourself using the new Model F keyboards as you normally would any given day:  programming, writing posts while on DT, professional writing, other work, etc. for me to consider for this video (not every video will be selected).  Many cell phones can shoot good quality videos nowadays so separate video equipment would not be necessary.  This is on a strictly volunteer basis, if you want to try to be famous and show off your work area and keyboard - the clips can also be humorous :)

Please send the original video files in full quality (not re-encoded) through Google Drive (preferred) or any other "free large file sharing" service you can find through online search, and email me the link to info at (the project web site URL).  Please include your full name, the date, how the clip should be captioned (forum user name, full name, or first name and last initial) and your permission for me to use the clip.

Feel free to also share your video here with the community by posting on YouTube and embedding a link here.

Here's the draft script in case anyone's interested in sending feedback:

(typing sound)  This is the sound of the busy 1980s office.  It's the clicky sound of the Model F keyboard, the result of a decade of IBM research to develop what is still the world's greatest keyboard, built up to a standard and not down to a price point.

The problem?  These went out of production in the 1980s.  As a big fan of the Model F keyboard from an early age, I wanted everyone to once more be able to get an industrial-quality, exact reproduction of the 80s Model F design but with modern electronics that work on today's computers.   

Thanks to the efforts of engineers and Model F fans around the world, you can now own a Brand New Model F Keyboard.

Here's what makes the Model F the best keyboard ever:

First is the typing experience.  You're already on a keyboard for hours and hours a week (show programmers, writers, etc. using the Model F).  Why not make typing fun and enjoyable?  You don't realize how boring and uncomfortable typing on a regular keyboard is until you have spent a day with the Model F.  Every keypress brings you both tactile and auditory feedback.  You can feel the Model F spring buckle inside the pressed key and hear the satisfying click of the flipper against the capacitive circuit board underneath the keys.  Many people report significant improvement in typing speed and accuracy after switching to the Model F.

And what about having full control of your Model F?  Now you can.  With dozens of languages and layouts to choose from and an open source, fully programmable USB controller with macros, function layers, and N-Key Rollover (show gui and different key layout photos) you can fine tune your Model F to be your perfect end game, daily driver keyboard.

And finally, there is the longevity factor – what else might you use with your computer every day for decades?  With the finest materials going into each new Model F including an industrial metal case, steel inner plates and dye sublimated legends that resist wear, your keyboard may very well last for decades, just like the originals.  For more than five years I have obsessively focused on making sure every detail of the Model F matches those of the originals, down to the paint texture and colors, the sound of the springs, and fraction-of-a-millimeter part tolerances. 

Model F Labs has succeeded in producing and shipping over 2 million dollars’ worth of new Model F's to IBM's exacting specifications, at half the original cost, adjusted for inflation.  Your new Model F keyboard will follow that tradition of the highest production standards, as I continue to test and do final quality control on every keyboard before it goes out.  And you'll also get some future proofing as the controllers are all USB-C and can be replaced in the future.

You shouldn't have to set the DeLorean back to 1985 to buy a brand-new Model F.  For a limited time, you can get one fresh off the factory production line.  You'll be typing on your keyboard for thousands of hours over the years, so why not treat yourself to the Best Keyboard Ever and have as much fun and enjoyment as possible with every click?  Please join the Brand New Model F Project today and help bring back the best keyboard ever!

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 November 2022, 18:49:00 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3156 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 13:05:48 »
In addition to my request above for some Model F video clips from 10-20 folks and feedback on the draft script for the video, below are some photos showing the new key and beam spring module molds currently being made at the factory, as well as some customer images I am posting with permission.  One image shows a custom right side block, while the other shows the F77 with Industrial SSK 12 key set and the F1-F12 front printed keys.  Glad to share both of these images as I have not seen too many photos of these customized layouts.

Also please do send in the feedback on the draft manual posted earlier this month, by PM, email or replying here on the thread.

As noted in some earlier posts, we are currently in the final round.  A new change for the project is that there is no more made to order - the various keyboards and extras are in stock so I have a lot of keyboards ready to go out.  I think a video will help get the word out about these great old style keyboards.
293164-0
293166-1
293168-2
293170-3
293172-4
293174-5

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3157 on: Fri, 18 November 2022, 15:28:33 »
Posting (with permission) one of the newer ultra compact case colors - Off-White/Beige, a color more common to the classic style cases.

This keyboard features Meta and Super keys, which along with the Hyper key, are often used with Linux and Lisp / Space Cadet according to the link below.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/19558/what-are-the-meta-super-and-hyper-keys

293396-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3158 on: Tue, 22 November 2022, 12:07:51 »
Here are two F77 classic case style keyboards from the same person, with a customized German layout including the Industrial SSK 12 key set, German front print F1-F12, and keys from Unicomp:  1.5 Fn centered, Windows, and yellow WASD.  Posting with permission.

293503-0
293505-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2022, 12:19:29 by Ellipse »

Offline Literal

« Reply #3159 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 12:39:27 »
Is there any update on the white-on-black keycaps?

Would those be an option to buy with a red F62, or would it be a separate purchase anyway? I've been holding off buying waiting for the WOB.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3160 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 13:00:42 »
Yes, we are proceeding with the pad printed keys.  I noted in recent weeks that I purchased the old-style pad printing machine.  A factory is custom building this machine to order, as a pad printing machine large enough to print an entire key set at one time has been difficult to find.  They are also building all of the custom tooling and jigs to use with the machine.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3161 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 20:16:58 »
We have a new draft key set submitted today - Quebec CSA! 

Please email or message me if interested in ordering this set.  I will be ordering several copies from the factory.

If you have any feedback, please let me know in the next few days so I can update the file if needed before it goes to the factory.

Here are some notes that I was sent:
- This layout works only on Windows and Linux, Apple has developed its own CSA keyboard, called Canadian French ― CSA but it’s not exactly the same keyboard layout. Apple respect only partially this standard (the ligature œ is located with q for example). If you are interested I can send you another template using this layout. For now, I am interested in the Windows/Linux version.

- 4¤ and É are drawn twice because the Linux version is different and doesn’t use the € sign.

- I am interested in the F77 industrial grey with the Numpad #3 (with an arrow inside a diamond for the Enter key used in the Numpad).

- I am also a VIM user and I would like if possible a second Caps Lock key with the proper Esc pictogram, not ESC or Esc but an arrow inside a circle, it’s there in my template.

Ideas (relocate ESC key):
1) Home Row (where caps lock is, then relocate caps lock between
   ctrl and alt)
2) Between ctrl and alt

Other points :

In the newest version, the ligature Πmust be printed (E key).

Also, the pictograms must be used instead of english or french labels,
same thing over the numpad.

The triangle replace the decimal separator (numpad).

- Return and Enter are pretty similar but are not exactly the same.

Enter (arrow inside a diamond) go with the numpad). Return (just the arrow pointing left) to with the alphanumeric keys.

- The pictogram "centering" with the 5 key (numpad) is now obsolete and can be skipped.
293582-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3162 on: Mon, 28 November 2022, 14:27:41 »
Here's a nice video someone sent me showing off the pen holder and solenoid on the F77:

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2022, 14:12:16 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3163 on: Wed, 30 November 2022, 15:55:56 »
Rico's new RP2040-based controller samples arrived today!
293729-0

Offline Rico

« Reply #3164 on: Thu, 01 December 2022, 07:43:26 »
It always warm your heart when someone is showcasing your hard work :)
Ty Ellipse !

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3165 on: Fri, 02 December 2022, 17:15:06 »
I am sharing (with permission) a kind email I received recently about the project.  It serves as a great introduction to move newcomers into the world of mechanical keyboards, and specifically, the Model F.  Some folks are far better at summarizing the appeal of the Model F than I am!

"I just wanted to write you an email to show how much I appreciate all the effort you put into the Model F reproduction project. I think it's an amazing achievement, and I worry that this fact might get forgotten among the few complaints or negative feedback I've seen on the internet, which you've already done your best to address.

There is really no keyboard like the IBM 4704 you decided to bring back. Regardless of the noise pointing to the lack of F-keys and additional navcluster/numpad to fully accommodate those refusing to learn QMK and adapt to anything non-standard, I don't think you could have chosen a better candidate. The 4kg zinc case feels and looks like no other keyboard, with its imposing presence and wide bezels reminiscent of a 60s space age movie prop, while being the perfect housing for capacitive buckling springs. The feel of these switches are amazing, and it provides a highly engaging typing experience that I would compare to the driving experience of a classic Ferrari Testarossa - manual and heavy, requiring the full involvement of its user, but rewarding with exquisite tactility and sound.

I own lots of keyboard, most of them deviating greatly from the standard, instead being tailored to optimise ergonomics and productivity. Yet I still find myself placing the 4704 onto my desk, simply to enjoy the act of typing, as it offers an experience unlike anything else, making the activity feel substantial and turning typing into a goal in and of itself.

Most keyboard enthusiasts nowadays, particularly those that spend lots of time and money on the hobby ordering and building custom keyboard parts, seek very different goals in the form of highly customisable keyboards with colourful keycaps with amusing legends, compact cases with artifical weight through attached blocks of brass, gasket-mount with silenced (through innumerable hours of modding and lubrication) MX-clone linear switches to achieve a very specific muted "thock". To these people the Model F and similar keyboards are a curiousity and unsuitable for use - perhaps because they are too different from what they are used to. Unfortunately, markets gravitate towards demand, and therefore there are extremely few exceptions.

In comparison to these keyboards, the 4704 is a bargain at $350, considering a custom keyboard easily reaches double that while offering miniscule differences from a premium off-the-shelf keyboard for $200.

It saddens me that another keyboard on the same level as the 4704 reproduction, while still being perfectly usable for modern computing, may never exist. I acknowledge there may be no other keyboard that could fit this role better, but maybe there exists one that could do this differently, while still being at the same level? If anybody is familiar with unique typing experiences throughout keyboard history, that would be Chyrosran22 - I wonder which other keyboards he would see worthy for a revival. Likewise I'm eager to see what comes out of the beamspring reproduction project. I sincerely hope you will consider reviving a classic case, as if there's one thing the 4704 has taught me, it's that the case means as much as the switches. Finally, there's that crazy guy manufacturing Symbolics 365407 Alps clones in his own house, claiming he wants to one day do it with beam/buckling springs, although his reluctance to adopt Chinese mass production means they will continue to have very limited reach.

I don't know how you feel about unsolicited feedback, or if you'll even find this email, but I hope it will serve as a reminder amongst the noisy reality of manufacturing a consumer product, that you have created something very grandiose and generously made it available to anyone with interest for a reasonable price. You did so without compromise and by dedicating yourself fully to it over a very long timeframe. Nobody else would have, or even could have done this, and a shame it would be if that were our reality. Thank you."

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3166 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 20:46:14 »

This video shows the CNC milling in progress for the new mold for the 3 new keys:  non-stepped ISO Enter, Code key, and PC AT Big Enter.  The keys will be available in all new Model F project colors.  Please sign the interest form here to reserve your key, either alone or as part of a set:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vsamkl_jOqp6wAEfZGeivQZ8ZaibpoT0WQkDG39r08Q/

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3167 on: Fri, 09 December 2022, 23:10:39 »
New store items

G H B trackpoint keys, factory sublimated.  The keycaps are sourced from Unicomp.  The texture on these particular keys is a bit different from the other keycap textures.

I had mailed the factory some stepped 1.75U caps lock keys and GHB trackpoint keys so they could sublimate them and send them back to me - this way the legends would match the other new Model F keys.

294171-0
294173-1
294175-2

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3168 on: Mon, 19 December 2022, 20:43:53 »
Samples of the 3 new keys and beam module parts have been completed and will be mailed to me over the coming weeks. These first samples do not yet have the production colors.

294716-0
294718-1

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3169 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 04:56:02 »
On a related note the Brand New Beam Spring project officially launches today!  I just emailed 1,200+ folks today with the notification email.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-keyboard/

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3170 on: Fri, 13 January 2023, 12:07:06 »
QMK firmware bug - any ideas?
I received this note from someone:  The issue has to do with waking a computer from sleep mode, with a new Model F directly connected to the computer.  "I have tested all the keys, nothing is stuck and appears to work OK once logged in, but when pressing space bar or any key to wake the computer, instead of doing to the normal splash screen and then you press a key to bring up the login box, the keyboard is constantly repeating the keystroke until i press for example the back key then it stops, hence it jumps straight to the login prompt and continues to fill it until I press the back key."

I think it may be a firmware bug or a USB power saving setting that needs to be adjusted.  https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/114577d1485975114-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a-usb_selective_suspend_setting.png
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 January 2023, 12:14:13 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3171 on: Mon, 16 January 2023, 11:31:03 »
New review:

Here is a review article on the Ultra Compact F77 keyboard over at Cult of Mac

https://www.cultofmac.com/801538/model-f-keyboard-review/

Also the latest blog update has been posted:
https://modelfkeyboards.com/blog/
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2023, 13:12:02 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3172 on: Fri, 27 January 2023, 13:23:23 »
Over on DT, high res photos have been posted of a nice new key set:  Quebec CSA

This set was submitted to me by the forum member who posted the photos.

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?p=511370#p511370

Here is the flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197610510@N08/

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3173 on: Tue, 31 January 2023, 16:31:35 »
As a note, mechanical keyboard meetups are now happening again in NYC.  I have signed up for the next one in April.  I hope to bring a new Model F keyboard as well as a new beam spring keyboard.  This will be my first meetup since 2019!  Hoping to see some forum members there.

https://nyckeyboardmeetup.com/

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3174 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 20:51:41 »
KVM Switches note:
There has been some discussion on KVM switches since they have been known to be tricky to work with Model F keyboards.  Here are some notes that someone sent me on a solution that was found to be working with Model F keyboards:

"I am currently using the IOGEAR 4-Port HDMI 4K KVMP Switch — GCS1934H. I have used a variety of KVM’s over the years (different vendors, different video interfaces, etc.), and have had the best luck with the IOGEAR devices. As I don’t have the actual KVM in sight, I am dependent on using the keyboard triggered control sequences to switch between my 4 computers, and the F77 looks like a “typical” generic USB keyboard, so the keyboard based switching works fine, as do the media keys that I have configured. As with most things of this nature, YMMV, but this is a configuration that is working exactly as I require.

IOGEAR 4-Port HDMI 4K KVMP Switch - 2-Port USB 3.1 Hub Transfer Rate 5Gbps - 4K 60Hz - Control 4 Computers w/1 Keyboard Mouse - HD Audio - Auto Scan Mode - TAA - Mac/Win - GCS1934H"

Here's travel case that a forum member has recommended for the F77:  https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27873

Posting (with permission) another nice custom setup:
296184-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2023, 02:13:28 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3175 on: Mon, 06 March 2023, 01:41:49 »
Metal Badges:

I am planning on ordering some logo badges for the keyboards, that have adhesive backing to be affixed on any keyboards but are the size of the F122 badge (a little smaller than the badges on the XT style keyboards).  Any recommendations on the graphics options to offer?  I was thinking the buckling spring logo and maybe the beam spring logo?  Of course the original logo or anything similar to it cannot be used, so no line art.  Dot matrix text/art would probably be fine.

Does anyone know the original process to apply the graphics for optimal appearance and longevity?  Sublimation, printing, heat transfer, lasering with paint infill, etc. 

Some other IBM badge projects:
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=18885
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=18905
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=13814&start=60

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3176 on: Tue, 07 March 2023, 20:02:31 »
I have just approved production on the LED overlays.  Even this not-too-complex part was difficult to source and took about 9 months to find a supplier that can meet the requirements.  The texture of the plastic material was most challenging.  Now the Round 1 beam spring boards can start going out.  The samples look good, though I noted that the factory needs to adjust the color balance before proceeding (or maybe it is just the lighting angle).  (The one installed on the IBM Model M case is the original one for comparison)
297222-0
297224-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 March 2023, 20:53:19 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3177 on: Sun, 12 March 2023, 14:35:27 »
pandrew's solenoid driver potential upgrade - feedback I received today.  I don't know if this upgrade is recommended or will affect the lifespan of the solenoid in a noticeable way.

"What ended up improving the responsiveness substantially was replacing R7 with a lower resistance resistor. This has the effect of increasing the boost voltage to 12v instead of 9. As a result the solenoid has WAY more power. The result is that I can use a basically insignificant dwell time. I currently have it set at 1ms. This is about 20x faster than what I could do at 9v. Now the solenoid has no problem keeping up with me. I also upgraded the cap to 470uf instead of the 220uf. This is my first electronics project and it was a lot of fun. I do not think the cap headroom is needed - just the resistor change so the boost converter boosts all the way up to 12v instead of 9v. "

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3178 on: Fri, 17 March 2023, 01:59:16 »
Here is a nice unique customized F77 posted on imgur a couple months ago.  I like that so many folks have done nice customizations of these keyboards.

https://imgur.com/PlC6Zim

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3179 on: Mon, 20 March 2023, 16:34:59 »
Here is a nice F77 Silver Gray case color with blue and dark gray custom keycaps.  Sharing with permission.
297585-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3180 on: Mon, 20 March 2023, 22:24:13 »
The forum member behind the new Quebec CSA has just submitted a new key set, option, French AFNOR (BÉPO), and has comments below.  I have sent the design to the factory, to be included in an air shipment going out this month or next month.  I am ordering a few extra sets in case anyone is interested.  The gray shading indicates that the keys will be pebble color while the rest will be pearl. 

"This layout was developed in the early 2000s and standardized by the French government in 2019. Contrary to the traditional French AZERTY layout, the French BÉPO seems more appreciated in Quebec/Canada. Microsoft seems to offer this "new" French layout in their preview build since November 2022, I expect to see this layout included in the next stable version soon. I need to install the correct preview build on my computer and test it. I will let you know when it's ready. This layout is more "classical", doesn't have a proper gr2 key (ctrl-right), just a second boat wheel (right) and the Christmas tree (Alt Gr) will be blue. This layout is ISO only."
https://kbdlayout.info/kbdfrnb/overview%2Bscancodes
297590-0

Offline Ellipse

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 March 2023, 12:47:46 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3182 on: Thu, 23 March 2023, 13:16:33 »
Here is a video describing the Quebec CSA key set, along with a typing test on an F77.  Not sure if this was posted earlier.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3183 on: Fri, 31 March 2023, 22:46:32 »
The next Brand New Model F Keyboards project launches today, March 31st!

Now available to order: F104, FSSK, F122, F15, F50, and Split Ortholinear Ergonomic

297832-0
Click here to customize your Brand New Model F:  http://modelfkeyboards.com/store
The layouts and cases of these regular/full size Model F boards were modeled after the later-production Model M keyboards and their more standardized/modernized layouts, but with the same Model F internal components and XT-quality dye sublimated keycaps as with the original F62/F77 project. A number of folks have been asking me for a full size board and other board types so here they are!

Some models are offered in both Model M style and ultra compact style cases. All cases are metal, even though they were designed to match the IBM Model M case designs of old.

Click on the “shop” link above to view more photos and details about each keyboard model and the available customization options.

Rather than wait for orders before starting production, I decided to go ahead and purchase many of these boards ahead of receiving orders. Production has finished for many of these boards and they are in stock and should start shipping in the later part of April or May. As always the in stock keyboards from this new project will not ship until all of the in stock Round 1 beam spring boards finish shipping. So far, 44 out of 80 Round 1 boards have shipped.

Today we have 8 new models!

4 currently in stock: Ultra Compact F104, Ultra Compact FSSK, F15 Split Ergonomic, F50 macro pad

4 currently in production: The 3 metal case classic Model M style F104, FSSK, and F122 keyboards and also the Split Ortholinear Ergonomic model

I was not sure how many of the ultra compact boards would be in demand, so for the in stock units I ordered extremely limited quantities of each: only 25 F50, 50 each of the two types of ergonomic boards: (the F15 style which is based on the very rare IBM M15 keyboard, and the split ortholinear style based on the Ergodox Cherry MX boards), and 200 each of the compact F104 and FSSK. The classic M Style case offerings (Classic F122, F104, and FSSK) are not limited at this time and will have a much larger first production run that is currently in progress. The Buckling Spring Ortholinear-style boards arrived but had an issue with the top inner assembly so they will ship later.

The classic M Style case keyboards (F122/F104/FSSK) support internal mounting of the solenoid driver and solenoid while the other ultra compact anodized case models do not (same as with the F77/F62).

No reservations needed for F104 and FSSK, neither for the compact nor classic case models. Anyone can order today.

There is a reservation process for the split ergonomic and F50 boards.  Check out the details on the product pages, and then when ready click here to reserve your keyboard.  You only need to reserve the split and F50 boards.  You do not need to fill out this form for all other keyboards - you can order them straight away.

Why didn’t I start the new Model F project with a full size or Model M style board? What took so long with the original Brand New Model F Keyboards project? What is the most interesting part of the manufacturing process? Check out my Google NYC Tech Talk video embedded below for details behind this and other aspects of the project’s journey.

Not to worry, you can still order the classic case style and ultracompact case style F77 and F62 keyboards for the time being. I still have many in stock of each variation, but these final round keyboards will be on a “while supplies last” basis until they are all gone.  More than 4,000 Brand New Model F F62 and F77 keyboards have shipped in recent years.

Here is a review article on the Brand New Ultra Compact F77 keyboard over at Cult of Mac

https://www.cultofmac.com/801538/model-f-keyboard-review/

Here’s a nice in-depth article on mechanical keyboards initially featured on the home page of The New Yorker – the Brand New Model F project is mentioned

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-obsessive-pleasures-of-mechanical-keyboard-tinkerers

Here’s a 3 1/2 minute video introducing the Model F reproduction project and the new Model F keyboard models:
YouTube video: typing test and teardown for the new keyboard models launched today!
Now posted on YouTube: my Google NYC Tech Talk on Bringing Back the Model F Keyboard

It was a great honor to be invited to speak at Google offices last year on the journey to bring the IBM Model F keyboard back into production. Once again a big thanks to Tony at Google for setting everything up and for obtaining permission from Google for me to share this video publicly. A big thanks to the Googlers for keeping the announcement of new Model F models under wrap for so long, until it was ready to launch! The folks at this meetup were the first to try the new Model F and beam spring models; this was also my first meetup in a long time which was nice.
Here are some photos of the new Model F keyboard models available (not pictured below: Classic Style FSSK and F122). Most are available in various colors. All have powdercoated/painted aluminum or anodized aluminum cases.
297834-1
297836-2
297838-3
297840-4
297842-5
297844-6
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 April 2023, 22:24:17 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3184 on: Fri, 31 March 2023, 22:47:54 »
Please see today's blog update post for a summary of the various goings-on with the project in recent months:
https://modelfkeyboards.com/blog

Photos of the new die cast injection molds for the new Model M style cases

The below photos show the 3 new M Style aluminum die cast case tops, unpainted, as well as the mold for the F122 case top. The bottom cases are made by CNC milling and bending, as a mold was not needed.

You will notice from the photos below (and more clearly in the photos on each of the new M Style case product pages) that the F122 retains the original IBM full size Model M case design and not the expanded case size of the original IBM F122 and M122, and the FSSK retains the original IBM full size Model M case design and not the reduced-size top bezel as found in the original IBM SSK (Space Saving Keyboard). The main reasons for this are to keep the designs consistent (the F122, F104, and FSSK all are the same exact length from front to back, even though the F122 has an extra row) and also to allow the solenoid driver and solenoid to fit comfortably inside all 3 of the keyboards.

297852-3

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Exceptionally cool project.  A metal SSK is a dream board.  A metal capacitive BS SSK is a wet dream.   ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 April 2023, 21:10:01 by pixelpusher »

Offline Ellipse

Important note: the project's YouTube channel seems to have been erroneously deleted. I sent a message to YouTube support. Some previously posted video links may not be working. I have mirrored some of the videos here for the time being: https://www.youtube.com/@Brand_New_Model_F_Keyboards

Offline Ellipse

The first F104 with a sample Model M classic style die cast aluminum powdercoated case has been completed!  Photos below.  The sample case has some casting issues which you can see in the photo.  The factory is looking to correct these issues before proceeding to production.

I like the texture of the sample cases (more photos of the texture are in some prior posts).

Please disregard the 5 incorrect 1.5U key and 2U Vertical colors (should be pebble instead of pearl).
297946-0
297948-1

Offline Lu_e

Please see today's blog update post for a summary of the various goings-on with the project in recent months:
https://modelfkeyboards.com/blog

Photos of the new die cast injection molds for the new Model M style cases

The below photos show the 3 new M Style aluminum die cast case tops, unpainted, as well as the mold for the F122 case top. The bottom cases are made by CNC milling and bending, as a mold was not needed.

You will notice from the photos below (and more clearly in the photos on each of the new M Style case product pages) that the F122 retains the original IBM full size Model M case design and not the expanded case size of the original IBM F122 and M122, and the FSSK retains the original IBM full size Model M case design and not the reduced-size top bezel as found in the original IBM SSK (Space Saving Keyboard). The main reasons for this are to keep the designs consistent (the F122, F104, and FSSK all are the same exact length from front to back, even though the F122 has an extra row) and also to allow the solenoid driver and solenoid to fit comfortably inside all 3 of the keyboards.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

What is the difference in dimensions of the top bezel? Between OEM IBM SSK and your new Model FSSK keyboards? thanks!

Offline Ellipse

The new M Style case dimensions are the same as with the original Model M keyboards but the insides and bottom case plate were redesigned to accommodate the thicker Model F inner assembly.

Offline Lu_e

The new M Style case dimensions are the same as with the original Model M keyboards but the insides and bottom case plate were redesigned to accommodate the thicker Model F inner assembly.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the difference between the FSSK retaining "the original IBM full size Model M case design" and "...the reduced-size top bezel as found in the original IBM SSK (Space Saving Keyboard)" ?

You're saying it is only an internal difference?

Externally the case is dimensionally identical to an OEM SSK ?

Offline Ellipse

As per the description on each product page.  FSSK:  "You will notice from the photos that the FSSK retains the original IBM full size Model M case design and not the reduced-size top bezel as found in the original IBM SSK (Space Saving Keyboard).  The main reasons for this are to keep the designs consistent (the F122, F104, and FSSK all are the same exact length from front to back, even though the F122 has an extra row) and also to allow the solenoid driver and solenoid to fit comfortably inside all 3 of the keyboards."

They are made to match the original full size Model M, even the SSK and F122.  The top bezel is smaller on the F122 to keep the same footprint, and bigger on the SSK.  The SSK has the same dimensions as the 101 key Model M, with the right side removed.

Offline Ellipse

Here is a nice article on the new Model F project posted in The Register today:  https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2023/04/03/new_model_f_keyboards/

Offline Lu_e

The top bezel is ... bigger on the FSSK.  The FSSK has the same dimensions as the 101 key Model M, with the right side removed.

Ok, in a roundabout way, I got one of my answers: the FSSK footprint will be larger than an Original IBM SSK. What that dimensional difference is? I guess the mystery goes on.

I see that you want to "keep the designs consistent" with the same length front to back as the F122, F104 etc. but I suppose my opinion/wallet just differs here, I think. To me it's a missing part of what makes the SSK unique, though I have no interest in solenoids or whatnot either.. (so far?)

Annnd I do already have an F77 I enjoy so...

Offline Ellipse

The new Model F project was featured on Ars Technica today!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/04/new-buckling-spring-keyboards-recreate-ibms-iconic-model-f-for-modern-computers/

Lu_e the difference in the sizes you mention will just be the difference between the IBM SSK and the IBM Model M full size bezels.  I hope to post the final measurements of each case at some point - sorry for the delay.  There are about 1000 solenoid orders (about 1/4 of the number of keyboards ordered) so I didn't want to prevent solenoids from working in the FSSK boards.

Offline Ellipse

Offline Ellipse

Everyone please resubscribe to the updated YouTube channel for the project: 

https://www.youtube.com/@Brand_New_Model_F_Keyboards

To catch everyone up, here are the updated links to each of the previously posted project videos.  The older links posted in this thread prior to this month may not be working.

Full size and other Brand New Model F Keyboards major project launch today! Typing test and teardown
New full size and other Model F keyboards launch today!  Introducing the Brand New Model F Keyboard
Google NYC Tech Talk on Bringing Back the Model F Keyboard
Brand New Beam Spring Keyboards Setup Guide
Model F Keyboard Quality control secrets REVEALED - fixing nonworking or buzzing keys, typing test
CNC Milling a keycap injection mold:  Brand New Model F Keyboard production
Brand New Model F Keyboards production video: Laser cutting the top inner assembly
Brand New Beam Spring Keyboard Project - typing test original vs. new
The first time I typed on a Model F keyboard!  Brand New Model F Keyboards Project
Solenoid Installation Guide and Sound Test (Model F and Beam Spring Keyboards)
Brand New Model F Keyboard setup: keycap installation
Brand New Beam Spring Module Sound Comparison Test original vs. new
Dead Simple Model F Firmware Customization and Setup Guide - QMK, Via / Vial - xwhatsit controllers
Brand New Model F production:  First tests of the 2018 custom built pneumatic spring attacher!
Adjusting the solenoid settings (Model F and Beam Spring keyboards)
Brand New Model F Keyboards instructional video: Opening up and closing the keyboard inner assembly
Brand New Model F Keyboards production video:  Stamping the inner foam
Attaching 100,000 Model F springs+flippers!  Production spring+flipper attacher machine
Brand New Model F production Keyboards production video: inner assembly stamping and bending
The first new production custom made Model F solenoids!  Brand New Model F Keyboards production
OFFICIAL way the factory closes the Model F inner assembly!  Model F Keyboards production
Making the old IDE hard drive style ribbon cables:  Brand New Model F Keyboards production
Injection molding the first new production Model F keycaps!  Brand New Model F Keyboards
Aluminum cases sample scratch test powdercoating

Offline Pretendo

My order's in for the "M style" F104.

It's essentially my dream keyboard: a "compact" standard 104 key layout with the guts of a Model F.  The F122 gets painfully close, but no matter how I try to set it up, mouse placement is always awkward. That extra 3-4" of space really makes the difference.

If there's ever any gentle mod to get a Trackpoint integrated into the thing then I'll probably be buried with it.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Ellipse