Author Topic: Does anyone have a chromebox?  (Read 3871 times)

Offline cherpalla

Does anyone have a chromebox?
« on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:23:27 »
I'm thinking about getting one. I dumped cable TV quite awhile ago and haven't used my TV in ages. I do use both Hulu and Netflix, and would consider Amazon Prime video or other services as well, since they aren't ridiculously expensive like cable is.

Thoughts, experiences?
c h e r

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Does anyone have a chromebox?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:26:42 »
they work for that stuff you need.  but they're not very "snappy" like fast desktop would be.

mostly for uber n00bers

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:28:25 »
they work for that stuff you need.  but they're not very "snappy" like fast desktop would be.

mostly for uber n00bers

Yea, I have my own mega self-built PC for gaming, mostly just looking for a replacement to a cable receiver that doesn't take up much space.
c h e r

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:32:11 »

mostly for uber n00bers

Yea, I have my own mega self-built PC for gaming, mostly just looking for a replacement to a cable receiver that doesn't take up much space.

don't bother then,  just move into the living room. conventions be damned.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:34:21 »

mostly for uber n00bers

don't bother then,  just move into the living room. conventions be damned.

No way!!!!!!!  My PC is GIGANTIC AND RAINBOW COLORED.
c h e r

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:36:35 »
Android TV is fairly awesome. Wait for that.

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:40:47 »
Could always build an HTPC w/ the Silverstone SG05 :p
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:42:03 »
Android TV is fairly awesome. Wait for that.

I haven't seen much about that. Does it have a browser/flash? I was thinking it'd be nice to have Twitch from the browser vs on my console.
c h e r

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:53:00 »
Might consider something like Zotac pico320 instead? It's a 'full' PC with Windows 8.1 but only about size of deck of cards and all passive. Looks like it would be nice htpc. Should be similar price to many chromebox at around $150-160.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 11:02:00 »
Might consider something like Zotac pico320 instead? It's a 'full' PC with Windows 8.1 but only about size of deck of cards and all passive. Looks like it would be nice htpc. Should be similar price to many chromebox at around $150-160.

I did see that. I guess I'm trying to consider the ability to upgrade processing power. I've heard it's rather simple with the Chromebox if you have experience.

This is the first time I've looked at this processor, though.

http://ark.intel.com/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz?q=z3735
c h e r

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:12:51 »
Put together a small HTPC for your living room? It would fit your wont of upgrading. Here's a CPU on sale that is way more than you should need?

http://www.frys.com/product/8044494

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:13:47 »
OR, if you have an Android phone, get a chromecast? Use the Hulu, Netflix, etc apps, and also cast your screen for browsing?

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:21:56 »
OR, if you have an Android phone, get a chromecast? Use the Hulu, Netflix, etc apps, and also cast your screen for browsing?

I'm an Apple Dev, so I'm all Apple on the mobile side of things. SOMETHING ABOUT FREE STUFF GETS ME.
c h e r

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:28:03 »
New Atom really isn't bad. While I haven't used anything with that exact CPU model I have used some with very similar model and performance is just fine for htpc or standard non demanding use cases. Other advantage is having Windows on something with similar price point. You know there won't be issues with software choice.
Some of chromebox would be a great deal on price for hardware if it wasn't for them generally using non standard uefi implementation that makes it even a serious chore to sometimes load even other linux distros. I couldn't see much point in upgrading any hardware for chrome OS. While I haven't used it very much my short experience with it was very unimpressive. I couldn't see using it for long term. It's too bad they made it so crippled. I agree that using an android tablet or smartphone would be preferable. You can get a more versatile device with similar specs for even less more often than not these days.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:30:16 »
New Atom really isn't bad. While I haven't used anything with that exact CPU model I have used some with very similar model and performance is just fine for htpc or standard non demanding use cases. Other advantage is having Windows on something with similar price point. You know there won't be issues with software choice.
Some of chromebox would be a great deal on price for hardware if it wasn't for them generally using non standard uefi implementation that makes it even a serious chore to sometimes load even other linux distros. I couldn't see much point in upgrading any hardware for chrome OS. While I haven't used it very much my short experience with it was very unimpressive. I couldn't see using it for long term. It's too bad they made it so crippled. I agree that using an android tablet or smartphone would be preferable. You can get a more versatile device with similar specs for even less more often than not these days.

I don't have an android tablet or smartphone, nor do I want those devices. I want to replace my cable box with something that I can use a browser with on my television and HDMI support. I just want to stream video, basically. And have it be small and look nice in my living room.
c h e r

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:32:09 »
All things considered, I'm typing from a Chromebook as we speak, and I'm rarely disappointed with it; I assume the same experience would translate well to the living room. 

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:35:26 »
If you're willing to give up the browser, a roku is nice. Has the apps you're wanting, and you could stream others via Plex. Again, just no browser (that I know of).

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:36:38 »
If you're willing to give up the browser, a roku is nice. Has the apps you're wanting, and you could stream others via Plex. Again, just no browser (that I know of).

Nah, I like to watch movies streamed from the net as well, and titles that aren't available in this country freely.
c h e r

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 13:21:16 »
Yeah, I use a Chromebook daily, so I think a Chromebox connected to the living room TV would be great for you.

Now where did I put my Logitech Google TV? ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 13:30:55 »
Yeah, I use a Chromebook daily, so I think a Chromebox connected to the living room TV would be great for you.

Now where did I put my Logitech Google TV? ;)

heheheheheh
c h e r

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 15:39:51 »
Might consider something like Zotac pico320 instead? It's a 'full' PC with Windows 8.1 but only about size of deck of cards and all passive.
In the description it says that includes Windows 8.1 with Bing! Whoa!!!! I installed a Windows 8.1 system for my mom just a week ago, and that did not include Bing. She must be missing out, so much ...

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 16:39:42 »
Might consider something like Zotac pico320 instead? It's a 'full' PC with Windows 8.1 but only about size of deck of cards and all passive.
In the description it says that includes Windows 8.1 with Bing! Whoa!!!! I installed a Windows 8.1 system for my mom just a week ago, and that did not include Bing. She must be missing out, so much ...

Bing??? Hang on let me Google that.
c h e r

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 16:47:05 »

You could also try AskJeeves, Excite, or AltaVista. :))
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 16:48:37 »

How about Dogpile? Then I can catch them all!
c h e r

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 18:19:13 »
AltaVista was closed down a year ago.  :(

I used to use it AltaVista back when the URL was http://altavista.digital.com ... (yes, I'm old ...)
I now use DuckDuckGo but it switches to the "Did you mean..." search automatically, so I still need to use Google for some things.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 September 2014, 18:22:19 by Findecanor »