Author Topic: Horror Movie Suggestions and Discussion  (Read 82524 times)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: Horror Movie Suggestions and Discussion
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 17:53:49 »
I would just like to take a moment, to say RIP to one of the greats.

You will be missed

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #251 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 13:37:52 »
I would just like to take a moment, to say RIP to one of the greats.

You will be missed

Show Image

F
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #252 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 14:52:46 »
The new Chucky felt less believable . I mean,   the old one ran on magic, OK, magic is pretty powerful stuff.

The new chucky runs on a battery, toy class servos, toy risc. 

The technology does not exist to make such a small toy with that many capabilities and that much force output.

It'd need a small diesel engine to do all that stuff.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 11:54:16 »
The new Chucky felt less believable . I mean,   the old one ran on magic, OK, magic is pretty powerful stuff.

The new chucky runs on a battery, toy class servos, toy risc. 

The technology does not exist to make such a small toy with that many capabilities and that much force output.

It'd need a small diesel engine to do all that stuff.

Yeah not a big fan of the new Chucky at all. Less believable overall even compared to literal magic, plus it just felt forced to me.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 10:09:11 »
New SO not into horror. Haven't been into the scene like I used to, and it's tragic.

Send me suggestions here if you can.

Saw IT part 2, it was underwhelming. Might write up a short review when I can. Felt like the only thing to come out of the movie was fanfic of Eddie and Richie that seems to be rampant now on tumblr and other sites. I think it improved on the old movie's part 2, but still didn't grab me like the first.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #255 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 13:54:53 »
The entire It franchise is ****ing dumb. I don't care if it's popular, that doesn't make it good. All the characters are annoying, the idea is dumb, and Pennywise makes me laugh every time he's on screen.

Just as stupid as the original movie, but in different new and stupid ways.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #256 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 14:50:17 »
The entire It franchise is ****ing dumb. I don't care if it's popular, that doesn't make it good. All the characters are annoying, the idea is dumb, and Pennywise makes me laugh every time he's on screen.

Just as stupid as the original movie, but in different new and stupid ways.

I can agree that the movies are kinda dumb overall, new IT chapter 1 was a "good" dumb for me though, personally.

The book was much better, as I could build the imagery in my mind.

I think the clown idea these days is hella played out, but when IT first came out it was at least relatively new, in the pop culture sense.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #257 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 14:55:29 »
The original movie almost gives me Twin Peaks vibes with it's levels of weirdness.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #258 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 15:02:38 »
The original movie almost gives me Twin Peaks vibes with it's levels of weirdness.

I do love me some Twin Peaks though

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #259 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 01:03:38 »
Just watched Ready Or Not and really enjoyed it. A fresh twist on a classic premise, definitely worth a watch and one of the better recent horror comedies. 

Offline aribace

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 08:56:03 »
Really cool horror
If you need to learn more about writing a dissertation proposal, then you can read our article or  get more info on our website.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 11:19:45 »
Finally finished second half of Lighthouse.

It gives me the same impression as the Witch.. < Uncertain > if this is a good movie.

Kind of like reading chaucer, it sounds different and fresh, buh is it really good stuff ?

For example, you can translate chaucer to modern-plain-speak, and it wouldn't read any more profoundly than common sense idioms.

In modern times, we criticize Super hero movies for all CGI and no substance.

Is Florid writing not of the same vanity.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 16:44:10 »
Watched the Jason (2009) reboot last night and it was ****, no wonder they didn't keep going with that.  Terrible direction, terrible acting, dislikable characters, and they somehow gave Jason LESS personality if that were at all possible.

The movie sucks - stick to the classics.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #263 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 12:57:05 »
Watched the Jason (2009) reboot last night and it was ****, no wonder they didn't keep going with that.  Terrible direction, terrible acting, dislikable characters, and they somehow gave Jason LESS personality if that were at all possible.

The movie sucks - stick to the classics.

Very ****ing true, no idea why they try and refresh what was already iconic in that way. It's something that only works with the aesthetic of the time, and they nailed it then. Don't fix what aint broke.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #264 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 13:00:26 »
Very ****ing true, no idea why they try and refresh what was already iconic in that way. It's something that only works with the aesthetic of the time, and they nailed it then. Don't fix what aint broke.

The Refresh has to be done, because the entirety of his and her circumstances has been done in some way.

Originality in plot is no longer possible.

This has been the case for hundreds of years, but before the internet, something was always new to someone.

Post internet, everyone has seen everything.

When Dsnail and Nturtle die, the younger generation will consider their lifetime iterations the original, and during midlife they will critique new stuff using the same remarks as y'allzus.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #265 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 16:57:37 »

The Refresh has to be done, because the entirety of his and her circumstances has been done in some way.

Originality in plot is no longer possible.

This has been the case for hundreds of years, but before the internet, something was always new to someone.

Post internet, everyone has seen everything.

When Dsnail and Nturtle die, the younger generation will consider their lifetime iterations the original, and during midlife they will critique new stuff using the same remarks as y'allzus.

yeah because that's how teenagers these days feel about Ghostbusters and Jumanji  :rolleyes:

classics will always and forever be classics. that's why they are considered classics.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 02:15:44 »
Just watched DOOM (2019)

Wow. Terrible.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:08:18 »
Just watched DOOM (2019)

Wow. Terrible.

The only way it's a horror, is just how bad the movie is tbh

Offline JohnTorbins

• masterra.com
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 08:04:22 »
For me the most scarring movie was Eraserhead by David Lynch
visit my site https://masterra.com to learn more about me

Offline Armanis

« Reply #269 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 10:53:48 »
but I liked the fresh meat that is shown there

Offline tunitech

• Techrabytes
« Reply #270 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 15:57:48 »
I don't really like horror movies. But here are awesome apps you should have on your phone.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 16:15:44 »
Anyone ever see Midnight Meat Train? It did not end how I expected at all.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 17:00:28 »
I loathe horror movies and never watch them, but if anyone is looking for a truly, utterly, *horrible* movie that you will spend the rest of your life regretting that you ever watched, try "Salo - 120 Days of Sodom" by Pasolini. You will hate me for it.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #273 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 09:22:13 »
I loathe horror movies and never watch them, but if anyone is looking for a truly, utterly, *horrible* movie that you will spend the rest of your life regretting that you ever watched, try "Salo - 120 Days of Sodom" by Pasolini. You will hate me for it.
Now, I am intrigued.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 14:41:47 »
I'm not into horror films much, but I found this small film studio that posts their stuff on YouTube. They're superb.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMOB6uDg7e-h8OuCw8dK2_Q

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #275 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 02:40:18 »
 :cool:

Offline SpinningHook

• "I can't know how to hear anymore about tables!."
« Reply #276 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 12:48:47 »
For those that mentioned Mandy and liked it, you should see the director's (Panos Cosmatos) first film, Beyond The Black Rainbow.

I prefer slow building horror films that don't entirely rely on jump scares or gore. A Dark Song, Gretel & Hansel, Annihilation, Color Out of Space, and Under The Skin are all relatively recent ones that I have enjoyed to some extent or another (A Dark Song is my current favorite).

Of course, John Carpenter's unofficial "Apocalypse Trilogy" - The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In The Mouths of Madness, are all at least worth watching at least once. JC's The Thing will probably remain my favorite of all time, not just within the genre, but movies in general.
"Brevity is the soul of wit."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 15:22:05 »
you got great taste Spinning, idk wht that catagory is but it one of my faves.

Psychedelic Horror? Stuff like: Mandy, Midsommer, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Man Bites Dog, Enter The Void, The Holy Mountain, Jacob's Ladder, Berberian Sound Studio, Videodrome, and House(1977.)

Ohhh I found a great list. There's some stuff on here I've never even heard of: https://letterboxd.com/mr_ugli/list/psychedelic-horror/

and Psychedelic Horror is apparently the term  ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 15:24:45 by noisyturtle »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #278 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 17:58:11 »
I just watched Halloween (2018) and found it very frustrating and stupid...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline SpinningHook

« Reply #279 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 18:36:49 »
you got great taste Spinning, idk wht that catagory is but it one of my faves.

Psychedelic Horror? Stuff like: Mandy, Midsommer, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Man Bites Dog, Enter The Void, The Holy Mountain, Jacob's Ladder, Berberian Sound Studio, Videodrome, and House(1977.)

Ohhh I found a great list. There's some stuff on here I've never even heard of: https://letterboxd.com/mr_ugli/list/psychedelic-horror/

and Psychedelic Horror is apparently the term  ;D

Thanks. And that is an interesting list, though I think it both included and omitted some odd choices. I have also heard it referred to as "cerebral horror," but I am not one for labels, just as long as the movie is decent.

I didn't want to retread anything previously mentioned in the thread, but I have definitely seen a decent amount of what has been mentioned and was also in the aforementioned list linked. Ones that I enjoyed or some omissions (some of which I own, as well):

Hereditary, Midsommar, The Void, Harbinger Down, Requiem For A Dream, It Follows, The Shining, The Thing (2011), The VVitch, The Lighthouse, Pontypool, Amer, The Original Dead trilogy and most of the remakes, Mother!, The Lords of Salem, Splinter, Dave Makes A Maze, All seasons of Channel Zero (I highly recommend Dream House and Butcher's Block), Goodnight Mommy, Get Out, Us, and both seasons of The Terror.

I am also a glutton for punishment for found footage horror, though most of it is admittedly heavily derivative of the original Blair Witch and somewhat unwatchable because of it. The one that I would definitely recommend is The Bay, mostly because I have lived near Maryland (location of the movie) most of my life and the story almost seems like it could be plausible, which helps with the underlying sense of dread. 

Of course, I have also indulged in most of, if not all of The Nightmare on Elm Streets, Phantasms, Exorcists, Paranormal Activities, Evil Dead series, VHS series, and Resident Evils - I could take or leave most of these, although some of them weren't half bad. I could probably keep going, but a lot of what I have watched I can't necessarily remember all of, including the title for some of them.

edit: I almost forgot it, mainly because it's still waiting to be released (more than likely because of COVID, of course), but I am eagerly anticipating Adult Swim's animated version of Junji Ito's Uzumaki. I read the manga and found it to be very creepy. Also, Colin Stetson is supposed to be doing the soundtrack. You may recognize his name from having done the soundtrack for Hereditary, which along with A Dark Song are my two favorite horror OSTs currently.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 18:47:10 by SpinningHook »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #280 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 18:45:34 »
Ohh found footage can be real hit and miss, but when it hits it is quite a ride.

Troll Hunter was fantastic, Sanctum is one of my favs in the genre, Hell House LLC is imo the best haunted house ff movie, the first [REC], Creep with the guy from The League is good fun.

Offline SpinningHook

« Reply #281 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 18:56:54 »
Yeah, I lunched on a few found footage ones I didn't think of earlier - The Taking of Deborah Logan, Creep (I still need to watch the second one), As Above So Below, The Grave Encounters, and Devil's Pass were all worth seeing at least once to varying degrees. I did enjoy most of the Spanish RECs and the first American remake.

And as much as I don't typically care for vampires as a film genre overall, Let The Right On In and What We Do In The Shadows are both worth mentioning, though they are way different in tone (the WWDitS also has an excellent TV series).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #282 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 19:10:40 »
WWDITS is one of my favs of all-time, I guess technically it qualifies as Horror. RIP Petyr :(

and yeah the show is great too, both seasons were top notch.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #283 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 11:44:51 »
I have to speak up about It (2017), which was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I remember watching It during the summer. I was surprised at the quality of Part 1, which was actually pretty good. But, then, I was disappointed by Part 2.

I saw some reviews on the internet that kind of encapsulated my impressions. Part 2 was lacking the things that made Part 1 great.

Part 1 had the investigation of the characters, strong dynamics between the characters, very focused on character and story development.

Part 2 had clown faces jumping out at people. Raunchy attempts at humor.

Reviewers talk about the dinner scene at the beginning of Part 2, how it seemed artificial and contrived, characters didn't exactly act properly. And then it went downhill from there.

The kinds of interactions between characters, the themes from Part 1 about growing up, the investigation of the town, all of these rich cultural and character-building elements were missing in Part 2, which focused on ineffective jump scares and bad comedy.

Maybe it was RedLetterMedia who commented on this, maybe it was another reviewer. But Part 2 felt like a much less competent and mature film than Part 1. Part 2 was silly in that it had these overwrought sequences of main characters facing their own fears, which felt forced and were not executed well. Going to that forced, individual focus for so much of that installment just wasn't as effective as Part 1. Part 1 was like 'Stand by Me,' and Part 2 was like some C-grade 'horror' running at 3 AM during a Halloween marathon.

Offline jeaneallenn

« Reply #284 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 01:35:07 »
1. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
2. Veronica (2018)
3. Hungry Ghost Ritual (2014)
4. The exorcism of Emily rose (2005)
5. The Conjuring (2013)
6. A Quiet Place (2018)
7. Hereditary (2018)
8. The Exorcist (1973)
9. Annabelle (2014)
10. It part 1 (2017)

Offline soulkorea

« Reply #285 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 14:22:39 »
I did a search for it here and didn't find a mention, so I'd like to recommend one of my faves:

Jacob's Ladder (1990 version)

A great story with excellent performances and truly nightmarish visuals. Plus government conspiracies, the Vietnam War, and a child's death. Bonus: great shots of old NYC, a young Macaulay Culkin...and Jason Alexander with hair! (well, relatively more hair than now).

Looks like it's on Shudder right now, so stream away!

Offline Marcus Carmona

• https://cashcasinos.co/
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 09:45:41 »
Recently I watched the first 3 parts of the Saw horror films. To be honest, after that I understood why many people love him so much. The logic and motives of John Kramer are truly impressive. As well as a cold mind and knowledge of human weakness. Such an antihero.
From other films, I really liked Krampus, for example:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3850590/?ref_=fn_ft_tt_1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:13:17 »
Saw 1 was pretty fresh when it came out,    Buh,  not sure we can say what the main character has done is admirable, since given his engineering skills, he could've just as easily flew off to africa and built houses for the poor.

He's a delusional sadist and serial killer,   his deeds clearly do not maximize towards a better world.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #288 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:42:09 »

I have a similar distaste for horror movies and another candidate for "horrible" movie that you will desperately wish you could unwatch:

"The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover."

YEEEEESHHHHH..... I hadn't thought about this for years until I read fohat's reply.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #289 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 19:15:31 »
Was happy death day ne gud' or was it just for simps

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #290 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 19:19:21 »
There are 7 saw movies ? i thought there was only 3.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 11:57:10 »
Ok, so the saw 2, venus flytrap death mask.

Honestly he had a bunch of metal objects in the room, with very little leverage the strength of the spring could be overcome. and the mask could be kept open.

« Reply #292 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 12:09:36 »
I'm not really into modern horror movies. Not because I think they're cheesy or unoriginal, but just because I don't like the general scheme of having you actually care about a bunch of characters, and then having everyone they care about be killed or worse, with the ending leaving nothing but a depressing end result. I've seen that in most modern horror movies I've watched, and it just makes me feel bad in general.

I more prefer the style of horror that's meant to freak people out, or to just build tension to almost unbearable levels before releasing it. Not solely a horror movie-more action-but Alien does what I'm talking about, in a way. While it DOES wind up killing a lot of people, it doesn't torture them or reduce any of the characters to a desperate mess.

I dunno, I'm weird about horror. I just don't like most modern ones. Can't explain why.
Nice.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #293 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 12:31:19 »
I'm not really into modern horror movies. Not because I think they're cheesy or unoriginal, but just because I don't like the general scheme of having you actually care about a bunch of characters, and then having everyone they care about be killed or worse, with the ending leaving nothing but a depressing end result. I've seen that in most modern horror movies I've watched, and it just makes me feel bad in general.

I more prefer the style of horror that's meant to freak people out, or to just build tension to almost unbearable levels before releasing it. Not solely a horror movie-more action-but Alien does what I'm talking about, in a way. While it DOES wind up killing a lot of people, it doesn't torture them or reduce any of the characters to a desperate mess.

I dunno, I'm weird about horror. I just don't like most modern ones. Can't explain why.

This post right here officer... Lock'um up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 09:02:22 »
The Unholy (2021), not bad, You've seen it before, but well put together, easy viewing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 00:30:20 »
Woahhhh, Separation (2021),  really well done.  Nice slow one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #296 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 18:43:56 »
The new Scanner Cop (1994) 4K release, amaze Quality

271716-0
271719-1
271721-2
271723-3
271726-4

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 22:31:39 »
Finally got around to watching a quiet place.  alot of in consistencies.  How could the monster's hearing be Sooooooo good from far away, and so crappy up close.   Humans breath and move really loudly.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 23:19:39 »
Finally got around to watching a quiet place.  alot of in consistencies.  How could the monster's hearing be Sooooooo good from far away, and so crappy up close.   Humans breath and move really loudly.

A Quiet Place was frustrating to watch. Would not watch it again.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #299 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 09:08:18 »

A Quiet Place was frustrating to watch. Would not watch it again.

Just watched part 2,   they could've resolved it in like 10 minutes with what they left off with in part 1,  they really needed some sort of twist instead of just dragging it out.

Cinematography is very good overall both part 1 and 2,  it's an OK movie if you don't think about it at all like old B-horror plots, but, it presented itself seriously instead of comedic which blended poorly.

rrrrrmm.. it's alrite....