Author Topic: Recommended Standing Desks (<$1000)  (Read 48963 times)

Offline tbc

Recommended Standing Desks (<$1000)
« on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 23:12:56 »
Can anyone recommend a standing desk that doesn't cost like $1000 in Canada?

I'm currently using an ikea tabletop with extendable legs.  While it works, it's hardly sturdy and I'd like to find something a little bit better for myself.

thoughts?  also no desk with sharp corners (i'm clumsy and those corners hurt like hell)
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline PointyFox

Re: Recommended Standing Desks (<$1000)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 23:31:13 »
Build one for $10 in materials?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 00:02:47 »
Ok...

stand up

stack books and boxes under your monitor/ keyboard until you're satisfied..

Then, measure, remember height..

Go buy some aluminum L- bars... build off-wall-shelf.

Offline tbc

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:28:09 »

i think it's REALLY hard to build a desk with height-adjustable legs for less than a taxi ride.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 07:35:50 »
I am also in search with this kind of desk, but the problem is it requires to be custom built to suit my needs. Given your budget, why not ask a local manufacturer to build one for you? Does geekhack have a community design for ergonomic desk? I think tThat would be cool in my opinion.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 12:43:10 »

i think it's REALLY hard to build a desk with height-adjustable legs for less than a taxi ride.

You didn't say it needed to have adjustable legs. 

How about turning an adjustable sheet music stand or podium into a table?

http://www.amazon.com/Gearlux-Deluxe-Collapsible-Orchestra-Music/dp/B009MBT68U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1391798481&sr=8-6&keywords=adjustable+sheet+music+stand

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 13:09:08 »
I love my geekdesk max.  You can buy just the frame and mount a table top from Ikea onto it. 

http://www.geekdesk.com/
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 13:18:39 »
I love my geekdesk max.  You can buy just the frame and mount a table top from Ikea onto it. 

ur freaking NUTs... $800 for a steel frame table that probably cost $20 to produce.?

Offline Parak

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 13:24:43 »
Simplified Building has a bunch of projects for desks, including standing ones, such as http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/blog/adjustable-height-sitting-and-standing-desk/

You'll easily be able to come in under your budget, and get a very customizable desk while you're at it.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:24:00 »

That looks just like my Seville Classics workbench minus all the accessories I got for $180 including drawers, drawer liners, florescent light, pegboard, hooks, and power strip.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/seville-classics-lighted-hardwood-top-workbench/prod3460484.ip

It's not fully adjustable for height, but you can easily work at it while standing.  It's 37'' tall.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:26:38 by PointyFox »

Offline kod

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:24:43 »

ur freaking NUTs... $800 for a steel frame table that probably cost $20 to produce.?

I'd love to see where I could buy that much raw steel for $20, nevermind the motor or the electronics....

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:28:14 »

I'd love to see where I could buy that much raw steel for $20, nevermind the motor or the electronics....

Steel is $0.47 per pound at the most, so you should be able to buy 50 pounds of steel for $20.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:56:16 »

Steel is $0.47 per pound at the most, so you should be able to buy 50 pounds of steel for $20.

I've never seen slabs of steel for sale anywhere for (pick up)

I've seen aluminum slabs though.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:49:24 »
just pasting what i wrote in a previous thread
my old place (i just moved) had this setup

2x
ergotron monitor wall mounts
ergotron keyboard wall mount arm

you can wall mount it and it'd be no problem

Offline tbc

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:26:29 »
absolutely no wall mounting. rental suite.

and 28" monitor.

seriously.  not going to put a 28" monitor on the wall.  i don't give a **** if the specs say it's safe.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 00:00:40 by tbc »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:11:50 »
i used my ergotron with a 24 and i velcro'd 2 heavy bostonacoustics speakers to the sides. but if you can't drill, you can't drill.

btw as long as you drill into studs, you can hang anything relatively safe.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:28:01 »

I've never seen slabs of steel for sale anywhere for (pick up)

I've seen aluminum slabs though.

An industrial material supplier will have steel/iron, brass, aluminum, copper, etc. in various type of stock….plates, round, tubes, shanks, screens, grills, etc. and will make various cuts for you. You can get just about anything.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:37:10 »
The Wirecutter has a great overview for standing desk that served me well in selecting mine.

I opted to buy the Geek Desk v3 legs and then attach them to my Ikea desktop. I started a Photo Gallery, but didn't finish posting all the photos yet. A photo of the completed setup is below.

Hope that helps!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 20:05:37 »
The Wirecutter has a great overview for standing desk that served me well in selecting mine.

I opted to buy the Geek Desk v3 legs and then attach them to my Ikea desktop. I started a Photo Gallery, but didn't finish posting all the photos yet. A photo of the completed setup is below.

Hope that helps!

Show Image

Now imagine that table.. with a SOLID Steel slab 1 inch thick...  omg... that's 326.26lbs of sexyness according to portlandbolt.com   1 inch thick, 2 feet by 4 feet...

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 07:13:22 »
Switching to a standing desk was the best change I ever made in my life of using computers--even more so than leaving Windows for Linux.  It takes some getting used to, as I'm sure you've already heard.  Even after a year or so of daily use, I still take sitting breaks every two hours or so.  When I don't feel like taking a break, though, I can go up to ten hours with no problems.  Since switching to a standing desk, I have received compliments on my erect posture... People who sit at computers all day tend to hunch forward, I guess.

As you get used to standing, your feet will change position, shifting weight from one to the other or balancing weight in between, without you even noticing.  I find my knees rocking back and forth, practically dancing, with the right music in the background... As I typed that sentence, I realized that I was doing just that.  Anyway, movement is good.  I've yet to make the jump to treadmill computing, but my legs make up for it on their own accord.  It didn't come naturally at first; I had to tell myself to move.  Now, it comes naturally.

Also, when you're simply viewing the screen for any period of time, it helps to free your hands from the keys and mouse.

As far as the desk itself goes, you might want to look into steel wire shelfing.  A really good brand in North America is called InterMetro.  A lot of their stuff is industrial-grade.  I use a Japanese-made version that includes a slide-out shelf for the keyboard and is rated to hold 135 kg per shelf.  It's solid and dependable.  The whole set-up only set me back a couple hundred bucks.  If you're looking for something cheaper, though, like Fox says, you could smelt your own steel shelving from iron ore.

Offline rpx

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 23:06:59 »
There are actually quite a few options at different price points. I've been looking to build my own standing desk lately, so here's some stuff I found.

- Standing desk for $22 (IKEA hack)
- Steel pipe+IKEA Numerar countertop build log
- IKEA Numerar build log w/ Ergotron arm

If you're looking to purchase and not DIY build, the Wirecutter's post that other people linked is a great reference.

Post pics and possibly a review when you land a new desk!
RF 87U 55g | QFR MX Red

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 18:07:42 »
There are actually quite a few options at different price points. I've been looking to build my own standing desk lately, so here's some stuff I found.

- Standing desk for $22 (IKEA hack)
- Steel pipe+IKEA Numerar countertop build log
- IKEA Numerar build log w/ Ergotron arm

If you're looking to purchase and not DIY build, the Wirecutter's post that other people linked is a great reference.

Post pics and possibly a review when you land a new desk!

I did the cheap standing desk from IKEA.  I gave up on it after a while because particle board IKEA tables could not support any weight.  I had a tendency to lean on the keyboard tray.   Then BOOM!  The keyboard tray gave in, and I was out of standing desk.  And that little IKEA table has poor stability.

I recommend spending the money for something different if you want a more solid setup that will last you awhile.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 18:17:22 »
Also, I did a Craigslist search and some college kid in a nearby town was looking to sell a standing desk.  It was this model you can get off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WRGIMI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0HXEYJV5NMVG1EFVK95E&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I will pick it up on Saturday, and see how it works.  I know it will be some particle board piece of junk, but the frame is steel.  Perhaps I will be able to throw a solid piece of wood on the desk if I can.  Who knows.  I am not too concerned about the quality of the wood because my laminate piece of junk desk has lasted me a good couple of years.

The same manufacturer also makes an adjustable height desk, but it old goes about 4 inches higher than the non-adjustable version.

http://www.amazon.com/Safco-1929CY-Adjustable-Stand-Up-Workstation/dp/B001MS70Z2/ref=pd_sim_hg_3

« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2014, 18:19:29 by prdlm2009 »

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 18:19:17 »
Check the link in my sig, Geekdesk FTW.

Its cheaper if you just buy the frame and use a top from wherever.

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 14:14:01 »
Check the link in my sig, Geekdesk FTW.

You have an inspiring set-up.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 14:47:22 »
Another thing that I wanted to mention is the usefulness of a tall chair or stool.  I say this in about every thread about standing workstations, but a tall chair or stool allows you to sit at about the same height as when you are standing, and does not require you to move the desk up and down.

Plus, you get the feeling of lording over the room when you are sitting down, which means more to me than the potential health benefits of a standing desk.

Offline kod

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 10:45:45 »
Is there a particular chair or stool you like?  Some of the standing stools I've seen cost more than a desk would :(

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 11:23:38 »
Is there a particular chair or stool you like?  Some of the standing stools I've seen cost more than a desk would :(

Yea, I know, that's a bit of an issue.   The price for a good stool are outrageous, like over $1000.  But having a good chair makes a difference.  I was able to find a Body Bilt chair from a local used office furniture store for probably one-third of the list price.   Then I did some research and found that the furniture store probably bought the thing for one-tenth of the list price off Craigslist. 

Just go to Craigslist and use search terms like "stool, drafting stool, drafting chair, tall chair, tall office chair, tall office stool,  etc."   Or find a local used furniture or office furniture store.

With a standing workstation, you do not have to invest as much in a chair because you are not in the thing all day.  When you get uncomfortable sitting, you can stand up for awhile.  When you get uncomfortable standing, you can sit for awhile.  It provides flexibility and movement.  I would have quit my office job a long time ago if I had to sit down all day.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 11:45:12 »

Also, I did find this one by Steelcase.  Not crazy expensive, but still pricey.

http://store.steelcase.com/products/crew-stool/

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:27:33 »
My work provided me with a Series 5 by Steelcase. Aside from the slightly smallish desktop, it's been rock solid.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:50:53 »
My work provided me with a Series 5 by Steelcase. Aside from the slightly smallish desktop, it's been rock solid.

Nice workplace.  I had to raise my desk myself.

Offline tbc

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 00:31:46 »
Also, I did a Craigslist search and some college kid in a nearby town was looking to sell a standing desk.  It was this model you can get off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WRGIMI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0HXEYJV5NMVG1EFVK95E&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I will pick it up on Saturday, and see how it works.  I know it will be some particle board piece of junk, but the frame is steel.  Perhaps I will be able to throw a solid piece of wood on the desk if I can.  Who knows.  I am not too concerned about the quality of the wood because my laminate piece of junk desk has lasted me a good couple of years.

The same manufacturer also makes an adjustable height desk, but it old goes about 4 inches higher than the non-adjustable version.

http://www.amazon.com/Safco-1929CY-Adjustable-Stand-Up-Workstation/dp/B001MS70Z2/ref=pd_sim_hg_3

thanks alot!!!  i read this post much earlier, but was too lazy to reply :/

I actually saw this desk a couple of year ago (the adjustable one) and I couldn't believe someone was charging $500 for such a small desk.  I promptly threw it out of my brain forever.  It's a bargain compared to the standard 1K desks now; even though it's like double the price in canada.

thanks again!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 19:03:35 »

thanks alot!!!  i read this post much earlier, but was too lazy to reply :/

I actually saw this desk a couple of year ago (the adjustable one) and I couldn't believe someone was charging $500 for such a small desk.  I promptly threw it out of my brain forever.  It's a bargain compared to the standard 1K desks now; even though it's like double the price in canada.

thanks again!

So I picked up the desk today and I am taking it for a ride right now. For reference, I am six feet tall. In my tall chair, I find the desk to be about the perfect height.  While standing the desk is a little low, so I probably will put my monitor on some books or something.  I do not like to look downwards while using my monitor.

The desk is a little wobbly.  As I typing this right now, the monitor is shaking a bit, but this monitor is huge, so it could just be my monitor.  I expected that, because it's on wheels and not the heftiest desk.  You can take the wheels off so the legs are in contact with the floor rather than the wheels.  Nothing's ever perfect.  But I like it, nonetheless and probably will keep it around.

Here are some pictures of everything in action.

54561-054563-1
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 February 2014, 19:05:31 by prdlm2009 »

Offline rpx

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 09:43:31 »
Nice follow up, OP.  How big is your monitor? 24"?

Also, someone should start a 'Post your standing desk/workstation thread' in the media section. :)
RF 87U 55g | QFR MX Red

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 20:23:01 »
Nice follow up, OP.  How big is your monitor? 24"?

Also, someone should start a 'Post your standing desk/workstation thread' in the media section. :)

Oh, I'm not the OP.  But my monitor is 29" or 31".  It's actually a TV that I use as a monitor with an HDMI cable.

Offline Proword

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 18:40:02 »
A conversion kit, for changing a normal desk into a standing desk.

http://www.gizmag.com/the-upstanding-desk/31211/

Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline kod

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:25:13 »
I'm having trouble seeing why someone would want to pay $250 for that conversion kit, when they could get a single column electrical adjustable desk for a little less than twice that much.

Offline tbc

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:10:29 »
looks like the desk version of a bento box lol

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:00:15 »
I'm having trouble seeing why someone would want to pay $250 for that conversion kit, when they could get a single column electrical adjustable desk for a little less than twice that much.

Agreed.

Before I pulled the trigger on my desk, I used boxes to test and see if it was something I would be comfortable. It wasn't ideal, but it was free and gave me some indication of what it would be like.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:53:55 »

You can also just spend 25USD, get the plans and build it for yourself.
Or just build it by yourself without the plans, I mean, the design is pretty obvious. ^^
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 11:27:31 »
The Human Solution has some options.  http://www.thehumansolution.com/computerdesks.html

I've never used a standing desk.  I have bad feet and standing for extended periods of time is painful.  But I've looked at them.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:13:06 »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:51:14 »
A conversion kit, for changing a normal desk into a standing desk.

http://www.gizmag.com/the-upstanding-desk/31211/

Show Image

That looks pretty neat. How much does one of those cost?!

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 06:40:34 »
The Geekdesk is OK. I have the large one I eventually set up for my kids computer. It's a rather cheap Chinese setup though that is also sold under other labels. The "it should cost $20" comment is uninformed, Sit/Stand desks are a speciality item that aren't free. At any rate the problem with the Geekdesk is that the main desk has a tendency to warp over time unless you use the cable bar underneath as support. It's also a rather dumb design frankly, just being a big slab of particle board.

The absolutely best sit/stand desk is Herman Miller using a Baker Manufacturing base. The keyboard stand on this is to die for, and the corner units are the best (you get a large selection of desk tops). industrial strength and the best ergonomically. The down side is they cost $1500 each.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:55:09 »
The Geekdesk is OK. I have the large one I eventually set up for my kids computer. It's a rather cheap Chinese setup though that is also sold under other labels. The "it should cost $20" comment is uninformed, Sit/Stand desks are a speciality item that aren't free. At any rate the problem with the Geekdesk is that the main desk has a tendency to warp over time unless you use the cable bar underneath as support. It's also a rather dumb design frankly, just being a big slab of particle board.

The absolutely best sit/stand desk is Herman Miller using a Baker Manufacturing base. The keyboard stand on this is to die for, and the corner units are the best (you get a large selection of desk tops). industrial strength and the best ergonomically. The down side is they cost $1500 each.

I've heard that complaint as well regarding the GeekDesk -- that the desktop surface is pretty cheap. Thankfully, they do sell just the legs and you can bring your own desktop for a more affordable and better looking desk. For me, I use the Gerton from Ikea for my desktop and have been very, very happy.

Do you have a link to the Herman Miller desk? $1,500 doesn't sound that expensive considering it's a Herman Miller. The Terra by Next Desk sells for $1,500 as well and I'd love to compare them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 14:30:02 »
Just saw this on Kickstarter. It's a new standing desk called Stand Desk and it looks like early-bird pricing has it at $400 for a complete desk.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:45:59 »
Just saw this on Kickstarter. It's a new standing desk called Stand Desk and it looks like early-bird pricing has it at $400 for a complete desk.

Looks awesome! Finally an inexpensive standing desk that have the same features as an expensive one.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 16:13:58 »

Looks awesome! Finally an inexpensive standing desk that have the same features as an expensive one.

The desk looks awesome and the company hits new record funding seed capital.

Offline simplisity

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 17:29:40 »
The SafCo standup desk runs for about $250 - $300. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

http://www.niftyinterior.com/157_page_1139014.htm

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 02:41:32 »
I have follow this thread for some time, and finally get a LCD arm to lift my monitor. This one is for quad-monitor setup, but The height is just right for a standup setting.
http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/display-brackets-c195/modular-desktop-mounting-system-c199/700mm-desk-clamp-pole-p3024

The problem is that I need to lift my keyboard as well. Currently I use some boxes stacked on the table, will see how it works and find other solutions.