Author Topic: Kishsaver Club  (Read 344206 times)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Kishsaver Club
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 12:25:17 »
I see now, I had just assumed it would have been the same as the left shift right enter key situation where they can easily be spit into 2.
It can be easily split into two. It's just that the two it splits into push the shift key very far away, or leave you with a 1x1 size shift.

I was actually flirting with the idea of using a 1x shift on the right to give myself another function key. I think I usually hit the very left of those crazy long right shifts anyway, but it would definitely take some getting used to. Too bad it's so time consuming to reconfigure the Model F flippies.

Maybe I'll stick something on top of my F-122 right shift to block of all but that left 1x area, and see how annoying it is to use.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #451 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:12:14 »
My replacement kishsaver keycaps shipped today so hopefully I can get them by the end of next week. I will be sure to take the best pictures I can because I feel like others might be interested depending on the outcome.

(Fingers crossed they got all of the original legends correct :P)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #452 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 21:57:49 »
This thread is really dangerous for me to keep looking at, a 60% BS is my ideal board. Either I'll make a custom 60% BS or I'll make it my goal to find one of these for sale.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:05:16 »
This thread is really dangerous for me to keep looking at, a 60% BS is my ideal board. Either I'll make a custom 60% BS or I'll make it my goal to find one of these for sale.

Could try cutting up a model M:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44875.0

However, it's still just a model M (model F's IMO are a million times better than the M) and it's only a 65% but at least you'd be close and it's fairly cheap to do.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #454 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 23:51:11 »

Could try cutting up a model M:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44875.0

I was thinking something like that with a new controller so I can rebind the keys and add some Fn layers. Ideally I'd be able to afford both so I can have the custom to play with and the Kishsaver for work and school.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #455 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 16:06:53 »
Here were those replacement keycaps that unicomp made for me, if anyone was interested. The printing quality is lower than original ibm keycaps but I am not really complaining, I like them.

Unicomp even did front printing!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #456 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 17:39:02 »

Here were those replacement keycaps that unicomp made for me, if anyone was interested. The printing quality is lower than original ibm keycaps but I am not really complaining, I like them.

Show Image

I will never understand Unicomp's business model. An entire custom set for one customer is totally fine, but they won't even entertain the idea of doing custom colors (purple, for example), and it took a really long time to even get RGB options for printing. Oh well.

The set looks stellar! Part of me wants to do what you've done and return it to stock, but I think I'll stick with the layout I've got.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #457 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 18:10:07 »

Show Image

I will never understand Unicomp's business model. An entire custom set for one customer is totally fine, but they won't even entertain the idea of doing custom colors (purple, for example), and it took a really long time to even get RGB options for printing. Oh well.

The set looks stellar! Part of me wants to do what you've done and return it to stock, but I think I'll stick with the layout I've got.
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. Perhaps they are afraid of the upfront cost, and the possibility that they might get stuck with a bunch of remaining sets because people don't stick to it and buy once they are done. They could always collect money upfront though.

The printing looks okay from a rather close distance, but if you get really close some of the legends are a little iffy with some dye splatter. I will take pictures of that tomorrow maybe, but overall they are great.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #458 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 18:18:35 »
So... Just for our education, what magic words did you have to use to get them to create a fully custom set like that? I've inquired in the past and they weren't interested in printing anything custom on even a single key (e.g. Macro 1). The party line was "if the legend is not on a currently produced keyboard, it's not available".

Is love to get a couple of fully custom sets, especially front printed for the Kishsaver (arrows & nav keys)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #459 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 18:33:55 »
It didn't require any sweet talking or anything. I sent them the model number and a ton of pictures and they were on it. It cost me $80 for the set and they got everything right as far as I can tell.

I wonder if they are more likely to do it if it was actually for a keyboard that others might order sets for as well. As in, they aren't going to bother making some crazy printed set that will take a ton of effort and only one person would ever possibly want it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #460 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:22:41 »
It didn't require any sweet talking or anything. I sent them the model number and a ton of pictures and they were on it. It cost me $80 for the set and they got everything right as far as I can tell.

I wonder if they are more likely to do it if it was actually for a keyboard that others might order sets for as well. As in, they aren't going to bother making some crazy printed set that will take a ton of effort and only one person would ever possibly want it.

So what I need to do is alter my photographs of my kishsaver such that the legend color is purple, and then send them the photo, asking them to replicate this totally real and authentic old keyboard keycap set.  Got it.   :thumb:

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #461 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:24:24 »

So what I need to do is alter my photographs of my kishsaver such that the legend color is purple, and then send them the photo, asking them to replicate this totally real and authentic old keyboard keycap set.  Got it.   :thumb:

They'll just think "If you already have a purple set, why would you need another"

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #462 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:26:40 »

They'll just think "If you already have a purple set, why would you need another"

They could have said the exact same thing to HPE.  He wanted a new set, so they did it for him.  I would like a replacement purple set, please.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #463 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:29:55 »

XD that will work

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #464 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 14:17:00 »
Isn't it beautiful?

80598-0

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #465 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 15:36:29 »

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #466 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 15:44:56 »
Isn't it beautiful?

(Attachment Link)
Where did you get it?  :confused:

Pulled from my attic. It is from the batch tinnie discovered.

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #467 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 02:11:09 »
Isn't it beautiful?

(Attachment Link)

Yes. Yes it is.

Knowing that it's in the hands of someone who appreciates it and who will eventually restore it or pass it onto someone who will care for it is wonderful. Once that is known, damaged items take on a whole new sense of beauty as it's not what they are now, but how far they will come, even if the end state is not currently known.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #468 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 15:40:55 »

^-^
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #469 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 16:46:30 »
Show Image

^-^

Lurch you got yours working right? I really need one.

Offline Lurch

« Reply #470 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 16:58:47 »
Show Image

^-^

Yes sir! I'm making a lot of noise/typing on it now. :p

Installing the controller was a breeze (although still a bit nerve wracking). CPTBadAss' controller swap guide really helped.

Good luck in your search! They are much fun to type on. :)

Offline Lurch

« Reply #471 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 17:22:04 »
some quick and dirty before/after cleaning shots:

before:

after:

(x-post)

i'll get some more (and higher quality) pictures up once i decide what i want to do with the case...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #472 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 17:45:39 »
Show Image

^-^

Yes sir! I'm making a lot of noise/typing on it now. :p

Installing the controller was a breeze (although still a bit nerve wracking). CPTBadAss' controller swap guide really helped.

Good luck in your search! They are much fun to type on. :)

Thanks, I've been trying pretty hard to find one. Before I left for school I went around with a friend asking local banks about 4704 systems in general. We got a lot of "we can't say anything due to security reasons" but also found a few people who had worked with the systems and knew a ton about them. Sadly our only chance of finding any said they had all been shredded a few years ago.  :-X :'(

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #473 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:21:28 »
So I had some time, a polisher and a sand blaster.

A=Sand blasted paint off
B= Paint
C= Polished paint off
D=Polished and sand blasted

Plate blasted too

Still need to get the paint off without rounding the corners this much :(. I'll just have to get a drill attachment

I think I'm going to go with the polished and sand blasted with a clear finish top coat

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #474 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:23:23 »

A=Sand blasted paint off
B= Paint
C= Polished paint off

Show Image

Show Image

Plate blasted too
Show Image

Still need to get the paint off without rounding the corners this much :(. I'll just have to get a drill attachment
Show Image

I think I'm going to go with the polished and sand blasted with a clear finish top coat

A or D both look excellent IMO

That plate is sexy as hell

Those corners  :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #475 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:25:16 »
I like option D The_Beast.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #476 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:27:03 »

A=Sand blasted paint off
B= Paint
C= Polished paint off

Show Image

Show Image

Plate blasted too
Show Image

Show Image

I'd say go with D, it sucks about the corner but at least you caught it early.

Do all model Fs have a metal plate or is it only the 4704 boards?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #477 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:27:23 »
I like option D The_Beast.

I think he intentionally made option D the best one.

He likes when people say they like D.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #478 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:28:49 »
I wanna see the D
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #479 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:44:31 »
It took more time to do the A finish since the paint is so thick and the blast media was so fine. It took forever. Then I found a polishing wheel. Took the paint right off WAY FASTER. It would take maybe 3-5 hours to do the back of the tinsaver. It maybe took 45 minutes to get all the paint off, and maybe another 20 to get the surface finished fine enough to sandblast to get a consistent blast finish.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #480 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 21:45:20 »

All Model Fs have a steel plate and at least a steel bottom plate. They're awesome.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #481 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 22:04:37 »
A picture of my kish, needs the micro usb and it will be all good!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #482 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 22:07:09 »

All Model Fs have a steel plate and at least a steel bottom plate. They're awesome.

Yeah they are, I tried Hoff's and CBA's. I can't get it out of my mind. I've been trying to source one for a few months.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #483 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 00:07:27 »

Close enough  :cool:

Unicomp in background.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #484 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 00:21:30 »

Show Image

ohhh yeah, very clean! Love it.  :thumb:

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #485 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 01:46:32 »

Show Image

Looking good sleepy!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:05:11 »
Every time I open this thread, I get a little sadder :(
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #487 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:31:36 »
It took more time to do the A finish since the paint is so thick and the blast media was so fine. It took forever. Then I found a polishing wheel. Took the paint right off WAY FASTER. It would take maybe 3-5 hours to do the back of the tinsaver. It maybe took 45 minutes to get all the paint off, and maybe another 20 to get the surface finished fine enough to sandblast to get a consistent blast finish.

why didn't you use some paint remover? that would have saved you a lot of trouble:

nearly no work and paint is falling of the kish within minutes.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #488 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:38:05 »

why didn't you use some paint remover? that would have saved you a lot of trouble:

Show Image

wish my paint remover had worked at least 1/2 as good as that.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #489 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:43:04 »

Show Image

wish my paint remover had worked at least 1/2 as good as that.

In my first attempt I had nearly no success... but then I found a good hint somewhere on the big internet.

HowTo:
http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/save-the-last-kishsaver-t8984-30.html#p190629

Offline STARLORDCOFFEE

• @watch_spike
« Reply #490 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:03:59 »

Show Image

For the love of all things holy...that is the sexiest thing I've seen on GH to date. Im going to go cry now... :-[

Model M              BL82          JD45          HHKB        RF

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #491 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 13:38:10 »
60% buckling spring. This looks so amazing! I wish I could get one of these in the future!
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #492 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 17:32:33 »
60% buckling spring. This looks so amazing! I wish I could get one of these in the future!

Be patient and alert.

Every now and again, on rare occasions, one might come up for sale!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #493 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 03:29:44 »
any idea how I could remove the dent from one of my kish? or who could do it? auto repair shop?

I don't wanna make it even more worse with a diy-try...

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #494 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 06:50:50 »
any idea how I could remove the dent from one of my kish? or who could do it? auto repair shop?

I don't wanna make it even more worse with a diy-try...

Show Image

I tried to take out my dent with a diy-try.  Didn't work too well.  Don't recommend.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #495 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 07:11:35 »
I think you've got the right idea with an auto repair shop snoopy

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #496 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 07:40:01 »
I think you've got the right idea with an auto repair shop snoopy

I'd have to agree. 

I think Photoelectric took her LZ-GH to an anodization shop and had some good luck with un-bending that, though I don't see explicit mention of which place (anodization shop or somewhere else) un-bent it in the thread.  Might be another option to consider.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 07:50:14 »
Photoelectric took the board to a machine shop and I believe the shop had to use presses to straighten it out. I believe the ano shop was a separate place.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #498 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 08:13:18 »
Very nice kish, Lurch. :) Someday I want to get one as well. I've seen some people have the split backspace. Is that a mod or do some models actually have that?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #499 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 08:14:41 »
If you look at the barrel plate, you can shift the layouts by adjust the little white stabilizer pins. I've changed my layout to full ANSI with 1.25 - 1 - 1.25 on the bottom row. But you could easily make split backspaces or add keys.