Author Topic: This ain't Right  (Read 1738 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
This ain't Right
« on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 13:54:20 »
The Renisha McBride case, where a white man shot an unarmed black girl knocking on his door through his door.

http://nation.time.com/2013/11/15/legal-experts-weigh-self-defense-and-race-in-michigan-shooting/

How does one justify the use of deadly force against another person who is separated by a door and not posing a threat of bodily harm?

If there is a big black salesman (or debt collector) knocking aggressively on your door, do you stand your ground and shoot him?

If there is an angry black student in your dorm hammering on your door (he’s drunk and it isn’t his room), do you shoot him.

Another injustice that I can see coming, is that this white man who fired the shot is 100% screwed. The case will turn racial. Even if the white man may not have realized Renisha was black (he was just reacting to his door being pounded on by a drunkard and reportedly his door did not have a window on it), he’s screwed. Regardless of what the court finds, his life is over; the media and angry members of the public will hound him for years. Even in prison he will have to be kept in solitary to prevent black criminals from pouncing on him.

The victim had taken some actions that are not directly responsible for her being shot, but which do create a situation where she might be shot. EG she got drunk often and crashed her car 4 times, she was loud and belligerent and uncooperative with bystanders earlier on, she didn’t go straight home but wandered around the neighbourhood. Obviously none of this deserves a shot in the face, but it does show that she exhibited sufficiently bad judgment to put herself in a bad situation or give people a bad impression of her.

My personal view is that I would like to take race out of this case. The victim’s conduct was not sufficient to justify violent action against her. The shooter was trigger happy and exhibited poor judgment. He opened an interior door and shot the woman through a screen door, meaning he affirmatively took action to reduce the distance between him and his victim, instead of genuinely standing his ground (Eg sitting on his sofa with a gun on his lap, waiting to see if there was any forced entry.) He also did not make effort to communicate with the victim, nor did he attempt to contact the police first. Sounds like a fairly reasonable 2nd degree murder case.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Malphas

Re: This ain't Right
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:13:48 »
I agree with you 100%. Another example of why keeping a firearm for defence purposes is statistically much more likely to do you (and others) more harm than good. We don't know the full circumstances obviously, but an unknown person banging on your door could obviously be a scary experience, and was this person vulnerable? Had they experienced break-ins or attacks before? It's understandable how things like this can happen in the heat of the moment, and again a reason I would never personally own a firearm for the purposes for home or self-defence, even though I do own firearms for other purposes.

The victim's behaviour was also partially to blame for this incident. Yes, she died and it's tragic and the culprit's actions were obviously excessive and unwarranted, but that doesn't absolve her of responsibility either. From the sounds of it she was driving while drunk and high, speeding, then went banging on strangers doors for help. It was just as likely she could have killed someone that night, rather than killed herself.

It seems inevitable this is going to be turned into another race issue, regardless of the fact if he was even aware of her race. Which is unfortunate as it'll overshadow everything else, as was the case with the Trayvon Martin shooting.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:19:24 »
Wait till you hear about the man that was raped by doctors and police officers over him clenching his butt cheeks during a traffic stop.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:28:24 »
We may have never even heard about this if it was a black-on-black or white-on-white shooting.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:30:30 »
We may have never even heard about this if it was a black-on-black or white-on-white shooting.

^This. The media is focusing too much on inter-race crimes imo.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:39:55 »
Wait till you hear about the man that was raped by doctors and police officers over him clenching his butt cheeks during a traffic stop.
That was just sick.  Sad to think that nothing will probably come of it.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:40:47 »

I would welcome that happening to me, frankly, because I would sue the absolute **** out of them after, then probably never work again.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:50:18 »
That was just sick.  Sad to think that nothing will probably come of it.

Yeah. Once again cops get away with being pieces of ****.

I would welcome that happening to me, frankly, because I would sue the absolute **** out of them after, then probably never work again.

Nothing will happen to the pigs though. The people will foot the bill and the swine will keep their jobs. MAYBE they'll make an example out of the doctors just to shut the people up.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 15:35:38 »
it seems shooter didn't know who was knocking the door. so i fail to see how race is relevant here.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 15:41:08 »
it seems shooter didn't know who was knocking the door. so i fail to see how race is relevant here.

It's not about relevance. Mainstream media will grab onto any keywords they can to create catchy headlines that people will click on, even if it means distorting the truth or exaggerating something.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -