Author Topic: [IC] GMK Arctic - Group Buy Live  (Read 39952 times)

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
[IC] GMK Arctic - Group Buy Live
« on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 17:24:23 »

Group Buy Page is live

Hey,

Doing another rendition of Arctic but in it's original profile and in GMK.

Thank you for your support

Kits as of right now

Base

Mechs & Co $126

Compact

Mechs & Co $38

Space Bar

Mechs & Co $28

Novelties

Mechs & Co $53

Renders:
Prophet

Cypher:

U80:

TGR Jane V2:

No Accents:

Haus:

Prophet:

A couple of changings I am making is the white and a overhaul on all the novelties.

The white will have a more gray tone to it.

The blue and gray will stay the same as it as always been. 8181C and 11C

Deskmats:

JTK Variants:

Collaborators:
RnCables
Asero Foundry
Canto Clicks

USA/NA: Mechs & Co
Canada/NA: DeskHero
AUS/OCE: DailyClack
Asia: ZFrontier
Europe: MyKeyboard

Group Buy January 7th

FAQ:

No, I will not switch to PBT

No, I will not use a different profile.

No to NorDeUK Dvorak or Colemak

Renders: Kingk22 & Manzel

Discord: https://discord.gg/5eBD5M7

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 January 2022, 14:10:18 by Mcnos »

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
Re: [IC] GMK Arctic
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 17:25:45 »
ne kitting avail?

Offline Lenux

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 17:28:34 »
Making JTK arctic is amazing maybe we could see some kitting pictures ?

Maybe add in the base kit alice spacebars it would be amazing.

anyways, i'm in.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 17:37:57 »
No to NorDeUK or Dvorak

International Kits will be included, just don't know which kit.

What does this mean

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 17:39:37 »
No to NorDeUK or Dvorak

International Kits will be included, just don't know which kit.

What does this mean

ISO

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 17:47:51 »
For some reason this feels too soon, like the colorway feels almost stale to look at (which is weird because i LOVE my JTK arctic, and LOVE the set). probably because KAT arctic is in the process of being fulfilled still . Seeing KAT arctic come back after a long period of unavailability after JTK arctic was really welcoming but this one feels like it doesn't give kat arctic time to have it's glory or something. sad to see the novelties change too because i liked those a lot!
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Tyson

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 17:48:50 »
I mean, I'm probably going to be in for base, but this IC feels rushed when the GB is set for Jan 2022, should have at least waited until you had a render of the base kit. Either way yes to GMK Artic lol

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 18:06:26 »
For some reason this feels too soon, like the colorway feels almost stale to look at (which is weird because i LOVE my JTK arctic, and LOVE the set). probably because KAT arctic is in the process of being fulfilled still . Seeing KAT arctic come back after a long period of unavailability after JTK arctic was really welcoming but this one feels like it doesn't give kat arctic time to have it's glory or something. sad to see the novelties change too because i liked those a lot!

I've noticed after several runs that the gray really fluctuates in it's shade in terms of lighting, the renders are set in it's purest form of color. JTK and KAT didn't sit well with me, the novelties seem a bit dated and I wanted to do something new with this one

I mean, I'm probably going to be in for base, but this IC feels rushed when the GB is set for Jan 2022, should have at least waited until you had a render of the base kit. Either way yes to GMK Artic lol

I'm really just using this as an IC instead of a hype thread. Rather get input on everything before I actually use someone's time going back and forth between renders and kits.  I'm also going to be really busy for the next few months so I wanted to get something out there before this becomes an afterthought.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 18:17:00 »
the renders are set in it's purest form of color

Purest form of color? What?

I'm really just using this as an IC instead of a hype thread. Rather get input on everything before I actually use someone's time going back and forth between renders and kits.  I'm also going to be really busy for the next few months so I wanted to get something out there before this becomes an afterthought.

You've run Artic twice now but you're using an IC to gather early stage feedback? This is confusing af. Also, you couldn't be bothered to render your kits first, not even in KLE? C'mon man.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 July 2021, 18:18:59 by cylentshadows »

Offline Richthorn

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 18:57:35 »

You've run Artic twice now but you're using an IC to gather early stage feedback? This is confusing af. Also, you couldn't be bothered to render your kits first, not even in KLE? C'mon man.

It would have cost you $0 to not type this garbage.

The man is making a product he doesn't owe you anything. Why are you so entitled. If you feel it's low effort move on with your day and don't but the set.

Get a hobby (preferably not keyboards we don't need your toxicity)

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 19:39:17 »
Good to see this set return.

- Is it possible to make the blue as the primary mod color and use the grey as accents?
- Canadian vendor please?

Regardless, looking forward to kitting and more renders :D

Offline psxndc

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 19:45:13 »
TFW Colemak support doesn't even get a "no" call-out (like Dvorak did). Oof. But I get it.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 19:59:53 »
i'm gonna hold off until DCS Arctic

Offline Aritega

• Art by ringo
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 20:22:25 »
Adding an extra B and alice spacebars in the base kit would be nice. Please consider a Canadian vendor, like deskhero.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 20:36:09 »
I think running an IC for a GB in Jan 2022 is a good idea especially since people won't be seeing the set in their hands until Jan 2023.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 21:02:00 »
there's a decent chance something running right now isnt in our hands till Jan 2023

blue alpha kit!

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 22:44:31 »

The man is making a product he doesn't owe you anything. Why are you so entitled. If you feel it's low effort move on with your day and don't but the set.

LMAO 1 post account that doesn't think an IC is supposed to have kit renders. If you think it's toxic to ask for kit renders then maybe this ain't the hobby for ya.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 23:11:28 »
Good to see this set return.

- Is it possible to make the blue as the primary mod color and use the grey as accents?
- Canadian vendor please?

Regardless, looking forward to kitting and more renders :D

Adding an extra B and alice spacebars in the base kit would be nice. Please consider a Canadian vendor, like deskhero.

I don't think space bars will be happening the the extra B is considered for sure.

- Also, I seem to have forgotten about Canada, they will be our CA proxy.

Offline Richthorn

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 23:16:06 »

LMAO 1 post account that doesn't think an IC is supposed to have kit renders. If you think it's toxic to ask for kit renders then maybe this ain't the hobby for ya.

Ah yes.

A toxic reply attacking my irrelevant post count because you can't mister up the character to have even a semblance of self reflection and look on your toxicity with outside eyes.

I really hope that works for you in life.

Hope your personal relationship succeed and wish you the best of luck in growing as a person :)

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 23:43:45 »
Anyways, please have an inclusive base kit which contains physical iso support. We're in 2021 now, big base kit is the way.

Offline Krolyk

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 00:01:30 »
I like this a lot actually.

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 00:43:19 »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 00:50:01 »
Show Image

I actually laughed a little bit.

Humor aside, I’d like opinions on what people would like to see in regards to kits before I put something up and then change it last minute due to whatever circumstance. But I’ll put up a base kit soon enough to appease those who absolutely need it

Offline Eastji

• draw 2 cards
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 01:48:22 »
Good blue good set good dude

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 04:29:14 »
ISO will be included, just don't know which kit.

BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT. If you don't have terminal ISO in your base kit then me, and many others straight up just aren't interested in buying your poorly kitted set. You can make an international kit with regional characters if you want but terminal ISO support should be in every base kit. At the very least support the layout, no need to add anything else.

Just copy Handarbeit or Analog Dreams kitting. Big base kits and high MOQ are the way to go if you want a decently priced GMK set nowadays.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 08:32:02 »

Ah yes.

A toxic reply attacking my irrelevant post count because you can't mister up the character to have even a semblance of self reflection and look on your toxicity with outside eyes.

I really hope that works for you in life.

Hope your personal relationship succeed and wish you the best of luck in growing as a person :)

lol ok buddy, asking for kitting is toxic, and your post count is irrelevant, even though your account is 5 years old. Sure  :thumb:

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 11:31:33 »

BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT BASE KIT. If you don't have terminal ISO in your base kit then me, and many others straight up just aren't interested in buying your poorly kitted set. You can make an international kit with regional characters if you want but terminal ISO support should be in every base kit. At the very least support the layout, no need to add anything else.

Just copy Handarbeit or Analog Dreams kitting. Big base kits and high MOQ are the way to go if you want a decently priced GMK set nowadays.

I agree Handarbeit is a good reference, I believe I'll be referencing that closely.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 11:35:15 »
Disclaimer: There is no kits yet as I want your input before I start putting pieces together.

I'd be happy with just a large Base Kit and Spacebars. With the way GMK prices things, it's not cost effective for many to buy extension and numpad kits when Base is only lowered to $120 or so. IMO just do 3-key in Base with bars outside and possibly a kit for aesthetics.

Offline heyimpanda

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 12:13:48 »
damn text + icon mods but I also completely understand given that JTK/KAT had the option of icon mods already. looking forward to seeing the kitting

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 15:23:44 »
damn text + icon mods but I also completely understand given that JTK/KAT had the option of icon mods already. looking forward to seeing the kitting

I went with Icon with JTK because I knew of their inconsistencies with their previous legends.

Better to use new molds in that situation but I prefer text+icon

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 08:11:05 »
surely there has to be a better sea vendor than DailyClack right? ilumkb, monokei,hex? isnt dailyclack normally a vendor for OCE instead

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 09:03:05 »
surely there has to be a better sea vendor than DailyClack right? ilumkb, monokei,hex? isnt dailyclack normally a vendor for OCE instead

Yeah sorry I’ll correct that, it’s ZFrontier.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 July 2021, 15:59:16 by Mcnos »

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 14:49:50 »
ne kitting avail?

Geekhack has become reddit, I swear. Be constructive. Don't just ask for kitting; Tell them what you want/expect. You've got 4 comments on the first page and none of them say what you want other than renders that would have inevitably changed anyways. You've expressed a more thoughtful comment about people quitting the hobby due to not being as toxic as you than you have about having an actual interest in this set. Yikes. As for me, just copy Handerbeit R2 kitting as best you can and I'll be picking this up. I already own KAT Arctic, but GMK is my preferred profile so this is a no-brainer.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 15:20:00 »
ne kitting avail?

Geekhack has become reddit, I swear. Be constructive. Don't just ask for kitting; Tell them what you want/expect. You've got 4 comments on the first page and none of them say what you want other than renders that would have inevitably changed anyways. You've expressed a more thoughtful comment about people quitting the hobby due to not being as toxic as you than you have about having an actual interest in this set. Yikes. As for me, just copy Handerbeit R2 kitting as best you can and I'll be picking this up. I already own KAT Arctic, but GMK is my preferred profile so this is a no-brainer.

Customers of keycap sets do not purchase renders, they purchase kits. Most designers (including "big names") who initially post IC end up making changes down the line based on feedback - what's wrong with that? Why should it be the job of geekhack commenters to tell a designer what kitting to copy, or how to kit from scratch? It's one thing to recommend changes here or there to reduce cost or increase compatibility, but this type of response truly baffles me. Why is it toxic to request kitting so I can have something that I could potentially purchase to evaluate, and why is "ne kitting avail" an unacceptable way to express that?

Offline udller

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 01:44:47 »
i like the stock gmk colour gr1. thats kinda greyish white. maybe the would suit this set? please have text and icons and extra handbag caps lock like muted2 did. please :)

Offline kylekwong1

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 19:15:11 »

I agree Handarbeit is a good reference, I believe I'll be referencing that closely.

Handarbeit lacks support for home-end-pgup-pgdn on the right most column of a 65%
For kitting, I like Analog Dreams R2 a lot more than Handarbeit.

Offline AstralYT

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 16:06:16 »
I am not a huge fan of Greyish-white, much prefer the look of the jtk arctic you listed. Would buy instantly if it had same colours as jtk one.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
Re: [IC] GMK Arctic - Kits Added
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 14:35:22 »
Base

Compact

Space Bar
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 September 2021, 12:00:42 by Mcnos »

Offline bustdust

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 07:43:22 »
Could you please add a R3 pgup and a R4 pgdn to the base kit? I believe that those using a 65% keyboard (including me) would urgently need it. Thank you for your work and it is fabulous :)

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 07:51:07 »
Base
Show Image

i think unless MOQ is high the size of this kit might price some customers out from buying your set. personally i would slim it down for a sub $130 target price if needed

its a nice kit though! GLWIC
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 August 2021, 08:01:23 by Bub »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 11:23:56 »
Base
Show Image

i think unless MOQ is high the size of this kit might price some customers out from buying your set. personally i would slim it down for a sub $130 target price if needed

its a nice kit though! GLWIC

I'll have to get the quotes back from GMK to see where we stand so far. There's still plenty of time to go

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 15:06:14 »
Base kit is nice and large; not really sure why there are extra 1u Ctrls and Alts in Base when only the original G8X-18XX layouts use them - does that imply the 6u in base has an off-center stem?

Also consider 3-key 40s support, 10% attachment rate might not be great depending on the MOQ you run at

Offline kylekwong1

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 18:15:29 »
Is is possible to add R3 pgup and R4 pgdn?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
Re: [IC] GMK Arctic - Novelties Added
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 12:14:31 »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 12:54:49 »
Show Image

Love. I'm assuming all those top 1us are R1?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 13:48:36 »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 14:36:26 »
Base
Show Image

Base kit is nice and large; not really sure why there are extra 1u Ctrls and Alts in Base when only the original G8X-18XX layouts use them - does that imply the 6u in base has an off-center stem?

Also consider 3-key 40s support, 10% attachment rate might not be great depending on the MOQ you run at

Agreed. The second pair of 1u Ctrl and Alt keys are not necessary, and neither is 6u spacebar in base. It would be good to drop those keys (esp. the expensive spacebar) to make room for some more useful options, such as 3-key 40s support, R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, or 2× 1.5u Super.

I also think the accent arrow keys could be moved to the spacebars kit, if needed.

Speaking of the spacebars kit, the blue variants of 2c, 2.25c, 2.75c are not strictly necessary and could be removed; and the 1c, 1.25c, 3c bars changed to white so they can be combined with the existing spacekeys in base. This way of splitting keys between the base and spacebars kit has a proven track record, and it's how a lot of new sets do it.

The base kit currently appears to have three 2.25u Shift keys. Assuming that's a render error and that one of them is supposed to be 2u, I would actually suggest dropping that 2u. This is because you're currently trying to squeeze too many keys into the base kit, and it's likely just going to come back around and bite you in the back.
The use case for 2u Shift is twofold: 1) GK64 and Minila support; 2) makeshift 2u Alice space. Unless you're planning on specifically targeting the East Asian market with this set (which is where GK64 and Minila are popular), use case 1 is quite rare; and since you have proper Alice support in the base kit, use case 2 doesn't even apply. Therefore, there is no substantial benefit to including 2u Shift.

Similar arguments could be made for the second 1u Ctrl key and the 6u spacebar. This goes back to the point of replacing all of these keys with more useful options, listed above.

Could you please add a R3 pgup and a R4 pgdn to the base kit? I believe that those using a 65% keyboard (including me) would urgently need it. Thank you for your work and it is fabulous :)

+1
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 September 2021, 14:39:33 by konstantin »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 15:37:10 »
Base
Show Image

Agreed. The second pair of 1u Ctrl and Alt keys are not necessary, and neither is 6u spacebar in base. It would be good to drop those keys (esp. the expensive spacebar) to make room for some more useful options, such as 3-key 40s support, R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, or 2× 1.5u Super.

I also think the accent arrow keys could be moved to the spacebars kit, if needed.

Speaking of the spacebars kit, the blue variants of 2c, 2.25c, 2.75c are not strictly necessary and could be removed; and the 1c, 1.25c, 3c bars changed to white so they can be combined with the existing spacekeys in base. This way of splitting keys between the base and spacebars kit has a proven track record, and it's how a lot of new sets do it.

The base kit currently appears to have three 2.25u Shift keys. Assuming that's a render error and that one of them is supposed to be 2u, I would actually suggest dropping that 2u. This is because you're currently trying to squeeze too many keys into the base kit, and it's likely just going to come back around and bite you in the back.
The use case for 2u Shift is twofold: 1) GK64 and Minila support; 2) makeshift 2u Alice space. Unless you're planning on specifically targeting the East Asian market with this set (which is where GK64 and Minila are popular), use case 1 is quite rare; and since you have proper Alice support in the base kit, use case 2 doesn't even apply. Therefore, there is no substantial benefit to including 2u Shift.

Similar arguments could be made for the second 1u Ctrl key and the 6u spacebar. This goes back to the point of replacing all of these keys with more useful options, listed above.

+1

The 3rd 2.25 was a mistake I uploaded the incorrect render. Should be updated now. I'll think about the other suggestions once I get quotes back

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 16:02:41 »
The 3rd 2.25 was a mistake I uploaded the incorrect render. Should be updated now. I'll think about the other suggestions once I get quotes back

:thumb:

Offline viet

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 18:56:41 »
I can't wait!