geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Båge - AEK Curved O-ring mount 60 - Vendor Updated, New Prototype

(1/14) > >>

nachie:

I'd like to present

Båge

No longer have vendor, this has been put on hold indefinitely, most likely cancelled.

Who am I?
TL;DR A long time lurker

Båge?
The name stands for a circular arc or bow-shaped bend. Matches the Keycaps that this board supports, so yeah, there's that.

Inspiration
TL;DR My fascination with the AEK60 form factor, GSKT-00 and kkatano's Bakeneko

MoreI signed up on GH to join a group buy for ALPS60 plate. It has always been my favorite 60%. I got an AEK64 and even learned PCB design to make an underglow pcb for it but the integrated plate wasn't for me either. The first case I designed from scratch was the AHKB, a split AEK64 in HHKB layout. But again, integrated plate, and first time designer errors like extra gaps on the side and case being too hollow. So I've been at this for a while, prototyping and learning the craft. I have other design in the works as well but this is the one I feel most confident about going full steam ahead with.

The main inspiration for this case though along with the AEK fascination was the GSKT-00 for understanding o-ring mounts and kkatano's Bakeneko for the single piece construction. This is not a Bekeneko with a modified bottom, it is a board designed from scratch using the same internal design style but applying things I have learned so far on my design journey, also taking into factor the construction differences between ALPS and MX builds.

Specifications

* Single Piece case
* AEK Curve for use with AEK caps
* Angle: 6 degree
* Weight: Internal, optional. Materials TBD
* Material: Aluminum and possibly Polycarbonate
* Mount: O-Ring mount, friction fit
* Uses Universal Daughter Board for USB C
* PCB: Custom ALPS pcb with flex cuts and underglow. Existing MX pcbs will work as well.
* Plate Materials: Aluminum, FR4, Stainless Steel, Standard BYO 60 plate support
* QMK and VIA compatible Not merged yet
Current Plan

* Design
* Initial Prototype
* Interest Check
* Prototype the final weight design in brass
* Another Prototype round with changes from IC?
* Interest Check II
* GB Prep
* Group Buy
* Cancelled
Color Options

Cases will be offered in a single color, most likely Space Grey, and also Polycarbonate.

* Space Grey
* Polycarbonate
Pricing

TBD. Trying to keep it as low as possible. We do have a vendor backing this, so more pricing information to come as we get close.

Layout Options

Following layouts will be supported by the ALPS PCB offered. Plate files will also be released after the buy. Case was modified to work with existing MX PCBs are well, so that is also an option.

Group Buy Vendor

I am pleased to announce that CannonKeys will be the official vendor for this group buy. Actual dates and prices etc. will be updated soon.

Prototype

- Aluminum Album
 - Poly v1 Album
 - Aluminum v2 with GMK and MT3 caps instead of AEK
 - GB Unit Renders - Still Prototyping
 - GB Unit Prototype

Prototypes shows Mirror finished PVD Brass for weight for v1 and sandblasted raw brass weight for v2. Neither of these will be offered, the GB units will have internal weight.

Cancelled

Full update on discord if y’all are interested. TL;DR; is the design doesn’t make sense for 2023, the curve makes it more expensive than a bakeneko which it is compared to. CK pulled out, I don’t think we have a shot of MOQ without a vendor. As such this is cancelled, perhaps redesign someday. I sincerely apologize to everyone who was interested in this and waited this long. Thank you for the support y’all have shown, I really appreciate it.

darthcapn:
Let's gooo! How come we didn't talk about this the other day! Count me in!!

LightningXI:
Down to support a nachie project. I have confidence it'll be good.

nevin:
looks great! good luck with the project!
any alps love is more than welcome!
... (personally, i think these type of boards should be alps only, but that would severely decrease your numbers, so i get it. i felt the same way about the "modern m0110" & "molly")

any way to do a halfplate? not familiar enough with the GSKT-00 style mounting.... do the bands go around the pcb or the plate?

i remember talking to you at one point somewhere online. (was probably about the paladin pad)

robotictomato:
Yes - very excited about this. Totally in - anything that uses classic Alps sets like AEK is a win in my book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version