Author Topic: SA Icecaps  (Read 5733 times)

Offline scwoopz

SA Icecaps
« on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 13:31:50 »
Is it worth it buying icecaps if they're PBT (kinda ruins the SA vibrations) and they're only R3? Just wondering your guy's opinions. It's $90 if you were interested.
ortho or shmortho

Offline Saiph

Re: SA Icecaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 13:42:06 »
The fact that it has no kits for alternate layouts keeps me from getting it. I know they said that they'll make kits eventually but I'd rather wait before I buy the main set.

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 13:46:50 »
The fact that it has no kits for alternate layouts keeps me from getting it. I know they said that they'll make kits eventually but I'd rather wait before I buy the main set.
That's true. Not sure if I'm going in, but there is enough to cover my let's split

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ortho or shmortho

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 13:50:20 »
I have an Icecap set and Id have to say it is a huge improvement over ABS SA. In overall sound and the texture of the caps themselves. They arent shiny like ABS-SA and they have a micro texture, which is a good thing. Old SA caps are (IMO) beyond terrible to type on i have a full Carbon SA set and I cant even use it to type really.

I like the new PBT SA caps for sure

Offline Saiph

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 13:55:14 »
I have an Icecap set and Id have to say it is a huge improvement over ABS SA. In overall sound and the texture of the caps themselves. They arent shiny like ABS-SA and they have a micro texture, which is a good thing. Old SA caps are (IMO) beyond terrible to type on i have a full Carbon SA set and I cant even use it to type really.

I like the new PBT SA caps for sure
Do you just mean the texture or the fully sculpted sets? Do you feel the same way about how GMK feels?

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 13:55:22 »
Really? Then Ice Cap is very different from the Industrial SA set that came after it. Industrial keycaps look and feel identical to the semigloss ABS keycaps we are all used to. In fact, if you didn't turn one over and look at it from the bottom, you'd probably never know it was a dyesub PBT keycap.

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 13:56:18 »
Just, yknow, throwing it out there that if you want to send that Carbon somewhere, my house is a good destination
ortho or shmortho

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 14:06:11 »
Really? Then Ice Cap is very different from the Industrial SA set that came after it. Industrial keycaps look and feel identical to the semigloss ABS keycaps we are all used to. In fact, if you didn't turn one over and look at it from the bottom, you'd probably never know it was a dyesub PBT keycap.

Weird, maybe it was only icecap that has the texture?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 18:29:59 »

Weird, maybe it was only icecap that has the texture?

Maybe since Ice Cap was their first stab at this, the texture is actually an imperfection that won't be on the new batch?

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 11:42:55 »
bumpity. Just received my newer ice cap set. I don't notice the texture on the keys but they do feel really nice, my only problem is my set seems to have some keycap legends off centered. So far i've noticed H, I,O,A,X are off, have to find my tape measuring and continue checking but those are just the ones I immediately noticed.

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 21:50:11 »
bumpity. Just received my newer ice cap set. I don't notice the texture on the keys but they do feel really nice, my only problem is my set seems to have some keycap legends off centered. So far i've noticed H, I,O,A,X are off, have to find my tape measuring and continue checking but those are just the ones I immediately noticed.
Anyone else having these issues?

ortho or shmortho

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 10:47:55 »
Anyone else having these issues?

So I spoke with them and they said that dye sub printing is not always exactly centered and that it had a tolerance of .02mm from any edge, most of my keys were completely centered and it was really only the "i" key that was very noticeably off(though they said just less the .02 so technically acceptable) but they agreed to replace it  for free so I got it all worked out.

I'll be selling mine, it's a very bright white and is a nice set but I realized I don't like typing on a "nonsculpted" profile since they're all R3 (just sold my newly acquired SA 1976 set as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zslane

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 10:11:06 »
The PMK store lists an ALTERNATE kit as out of stock. Did it ever get made? Does anyone have this kit?

Offline Saiph

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 14:56:12 »
The PMK store lists an ALTERNATE kit as out of stock. Did it ever get made? Does anyone have this kit?
They mentioned adding the kit with the new year. I think they might have updated the site without adding the stock.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 15:23:30 »
It currently shows availability for the alt kit

Offline Saiph

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 20:21:28 »
It currently shows availability for the alt kit
Thanks!

Offline zslane

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 19:43:09 »
There is a new Ortholinear kit for Ice Cap SA available on PMK now.