geekhack Community > Input Devices

Elcom users - Do Elcom products last over the long haul? (and M-XT4DR Question)

(1/3) > >>

Stupidface:
Can any Elecom trackball users who have had their trackball for a year or more speak to the long-term durability of Elecom trackballs?
Likewise, could Elecom users who have had their trackball give out before hitting the one year mark post about their experience?

I ask because I have the impression that their trackballs look great, but are often let down by a) switches that do not last and b) Unicomp-level attention to detail (i.e. their products appear fine at first glance, but closer inspection reveals that the quality control leaves a great deal to be desired).

The above deficiencies seem to result, more often than not, in Elecom trackballs rarely lasting more than a year (two at most) before something needs replacing and/or they expire altogether.  Admittedly, I could be wrong about this and I am posting in the hopes that enough Elecom users will come forward with their experiences (good or bad) so as to give a potential purchaser a fair idea of what they might expect.

Finally, I cannot find so much as a single mention of the Elecom M-XT4DR left-handed trackball on Geekhack.  Er, am I missing something?  Or is it simply a matter of left-handed trackball users being in the minority on GH?

If anyone reading this has used the M-XT4DR, I would very much like to hear what you thought of it.

suicidal_orange:
I've been using my huge for about 18 months, no issues yet.

jamster:

--- Quote from: Stupidface on Wed, 08 December 2021, 10:22:14 ---before something needs replacing and/or they expire altogether.  Admittedly, I could be wrong about this and I am posting in the hopes that enough Elecom users will come forward with their experiences (good or bad) so as to give a potential purchaser a fair idea of what they might expect.

--- End quote ---

My Huge needed bearing replacements from the moment the packaging was opened.

Unfortunately, new bearings took so long to ship that I'd just ditched the trackball out of frustration. Pity, as I do wonder how usable it would have been with decent bearings.

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: jamster on Tue, 14 December 2021, 10:33:39 ---Unfortunately, new bearings took so long to ship that I'd just ditched the trackball out of frustration.

--- End quote ---

To clarify: Did the delay result from Elecom taking forever to pop the new bearings into the post?  Or rather, were they quick enough to mail you the requested parts, but chose to dispatch them via 10th Class Camel Post?

(Or did they give you the worst of all possible worlds and subject you to both forms of iniquity?)

jamster:

--- Quote from: Stupidface on Wed, 15 December 2021, 15:01:49 ---
--- Quote from: jamster on Tue, 14 December 2021, 10:33:39 ---Unfortunately, new bearings took so long to ship that I'd just ditched the trackball out of frustration.

--- End quote ---

To clarify: Did the delay result from Elecom taking forever to pop the new bearings into the post?  Or rather, were they quick enough to mail you the requested parts, but chose to dispatch them via 10th Class Camel Post?

(Or did they give you the worst of all possible worlds and subject you to both forms of iniquity?)

--- End quote ---

Elecom don't provide these bearings, I don't think they even acknowledge that their bearings are sub-par. You have to source them yourself. I went through Aliexpress, and shipping took more than several months.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version