geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?

<< < (530/544) > >>

Leslieann:
You're welcome.

Did some more digging (ran out of time yesterday)....
As soon as you install a single font (for personal, not for all users, this is the default install) it creates a folder in home to put them in. The folder is .local/share/fonts

You can either install one and find that folder or create it yourself (may need to hit CTRL-H to see .local) then you can just drop all TTF fonts into that folder. Tested on Cinnamon and Plasma and they did show up in Writer.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Fri, 06 May 2022, 15:54:47 ---
The "Sound" section in the main menu shows both playback and recording to be active. Audacity plays music files as it should.

When I press the "Record" button in Audacity whatever you call the vertical "moving line" opens and moves from left to right but the sound wave is a flat line.

Am I understanding that Audacity is failing to find the record portion of the sound card even though it uses the play portion properly?

--- End quote ---

I am necro-ing this problem that I have never gotten anywhere with - I can't record from my computer and/or the internet using Audacity (which I have done under Windows for many years).

You guys gave me numerous suggestions when we went through this before but none of them worked. Can we please try it again?

* Here is what my system reports in terms of audio hardware:
Device-1: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio
      [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590]
       vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.1
           chip ID: 1002:aaf0

Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio
   vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0b:00.4
      chip ID: 1022:1487

Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-113-generic

* Here is what my system reports for the motherboard, etc:
System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-113-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.4.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.7 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma
           base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal

Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter>
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3003 date: 12/09/2019

Audacity has no problem with playback and opening existing files for editing, but will not record properly.
When I attempt to record from my computer, I get nothing. The sweeping bar goes from left to right but shows only a flat silent line.

When I attempt to record from my stereo, for example a record on the turntable, via RCA jacks from "Tape Out" out to a 3.5mm plug in to the "Line In" jack on the computer, I get a small squiggly line in Audacity but only static noise when I play it back. I think that I have tried all the permutations but I may have missed something. BTW, Audacity does not give me any option but ALSA.

This same hardware configuration has always worked properly under Windows with no drama or hang-ups.

Do you guys have any additional suggestions? Thank you again in advance.

suicidal_orange:
ALSA is correct, it replaced OSS long ago as the standard soundsystem in Linux.  You have two scenarios to fix - recording what's playing and recording from line in.  No reason you shouldn't be able to do both but we'll debug separately for now.

It looks strange that the HDMI device comes first and even stranger that it appears to offer it as a recording device.  Run pavucontrol and on the configuration tab set it to off and click the padlock, this will stop pulseaudio from trying to use it if it is.  You need re-open Audacity otherwise it doesn't notice otherwise then try recording pulse and pulse_monitor while something's making noise.

Then the other scenario is getting your line in to show up.  Do you get any "line in" devices if you disable pulseaudio?  Again, you need to re-open Audacity to get it to notice.

--- Code: ---systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service
--- End code ---

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Tue, 28 June 2022, 09:22:59 ---
It looks strange that the HDMI device comes first and even stranger that it appears to offer it as a recording device. 

Run pavucontrol and on the configuration tab set it to off and click the padlock, this will stop pulseaudio from trying to use it if it is. 

then try recording pulse and pulse_monitor while something's making noise.

Then the other scenario is getting your line in to show up.  Do you get any "line in" devices if you disable pulseaudio?

--- End quote ---

After killing pavucontrol I don't get any response in trying to record from the computer. There is also no sound when attempting to play music or Youtube video.

Audacity will record "something" from the 3.5mm plug from the stereo, but while it is the correct signal, it is very low in volume and sounds muffled as if it was coming from the bottom of a barrel.

I use 2 monitors coming off the Radeon card, 1 uses HDMI and the other DVI.

suicidal_orange:
So pulse is blocking direct access to the soundcard inputs, that's a start.  When you say "killing pavucontrol" was that disabling the HDMI audio or running the command to kill pulseaudio entirely?  Disabling HDMI in pulse wont affect the picture but if you send sound to speakers in the monitor over HDMI you can't disable it.  Also probably should have checked you have the built in soundcard in pavucontrol on "analog stereo duplex".  Surely that's default...

I guess your volume is turned down on the input, you can see it by running alsamixer -c1 (c1 being the second card, the first is numbered 0 as with everything in Linux) then pressing tab to see the output screen.  You might also be able to swap what physical sockets the two inputs are, this is done using up and down arrows just like the volume.  If you can't get a good recording without pulse it is a driver issue, don't think it will be though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version