Author Topic: Das Keyboard Key Cap Question  (Read 10451 times)

Offline mlee21

Das Keyboard Key Cap Question
« on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 15:16:36 »
So I just recently bought a Das Professinal S (Yay my first mechanical keyboard!)

I'm looking to change out some key caps.. but I'm one of those guys that likes consistency/slight OCD.
What kind of keycaps (PBT vs ABS) should I be looking for so that the original DAS keys and the new ones feel all the same.

I'm thinking about checkering (white/black) my keyboard and I wouldn't be happy if half my keys felt different from the new ones I put in.

Thanks Guys!

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 15:22:46 »
If you contact wasdkeyboards, I think he might be able to customize a checkered set of keycaps to your liking.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 15:27:13 »
While PBT caps are generally more durable than ABS, WASDKeyboards has some great-feeling keycaps.  That, and since they can get you a set of checkered caps all from the same material, printing, etc., you won't have to worry about them looking/feeling different, or having to buy 2 sets of caps to get the look you're after.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 15:42:49 »
I am able to confirm with 99% confidence that WASD keys feel the same as DAS keys and have a similar light-reflective nature.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline mlee21

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 11:06:51 »
Thanks for the quick response guys.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 11:11:32 »
The texture of the wasd key is almost identical if not very similar to that of filco's as well
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 13:05:04 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;422074
The texture of the wasd key is almost identical if not very similar to that of filco's as well

WASD might have some inconsistency, then.  Mine are completely smooth.  I doubt they could get any shinier.

Offline kingqway

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 13:17:37 »
I bought keycaps from WASD, and they fit perfectly fine on my das. They don't feel any different at all, and fit perfectly in with all the other keys. I would just warn of you the red (since its more of a red-orange) & making sure you buy the little clips for your stabilizers if you use the metal clip stabilizers. I was going to post up a picture but then I just dropped my phone a couple hours ago and its camera broke :(

EDIT: about the switches.
Das Professional Silent || White Filco TKL MX Blue || Leopold FC500R MX Brown

Offline N8N

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 10:11:45 »
I would consider the texture on my WASD keys to be even, and also slight.  Being ABS, I've already worn it in a bit.  However, that doesn't mean that I like it any less.  My main complaint is the height of the keycaps, although it's hard to fault WASD because I'm sure that they're getting the blank caps from some molding company that's likely making the caps for a whole mess of keyboard manufacturers.  I just think that if they used a lower profile like Cherry they would be even better.

Has anyone received any keys with the new laser process?  I ordered a set on Friday on an impulse.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline N8N

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 10:21:22 »
I thought Weyman had posted a pic like that already?  That's the only reason I didn't do it.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline N8N

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 10:34:36 »
sorry, Weyman = Weyman Kwong = the man behind WASD.  username wasdkeyboards

Edit: here, this is what I was thinking of

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22283-New-laser-etching-coming-soon!-Feedback-appreciated-D/page2

if you want similar pics of the laser engraved caps as well I can do that
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 October 2011, 10:37:06 by N8N »

Offline wasdkeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 01:27:08 »
The reason why Filco's keys look different is because they have a coating on them. We all use the same plastic, same molds.
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards