Author Topic: Razer's Purple Opto-Mechanical Switches and Huntsman series Keyboards Question  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Aelon

Has anyone tried Razer's opto-mechanical switched Huntsman series keyboards ?

I am thinking about buying one and if you are familiar with them can you answer my questions please:

- How do those new opto-mechanical purple switches compare to Cherry MX Blue feel ?
- Highly unlikely but, did you encounter/experience "chattering" like mechanical switches ?
- What do you think about the ABS keycaps ? Did you have any broken keycaps ? The switch is advertised 100million clicks but do you think keycaps are also as durable as 100 million finger presses as well, at least do you think they would last for years and years of typing ?

- And lastly, what do you think about Razer's implementation of RGB ? For example; Can you obtain a real bright white light ?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 February 2019, 07:40:31 by Aelon »

Offline Findecanor

I have only tested one in a store, without being hooked up to anything. It felt and sounded OK to me, but an important part of the feel of a clicky keyboard is how well the click-point corresponds with the actuation point, and I could not test that.

I would avoid it anyway:
• It is expensive. You could get a very good mechanical keyboard for less.
• The keycaps look like they are painted ABS with laser-ablated legends. Those will wear off first. The LEDs will also fail long before 100 million key presses.
• It's Razer ... Don't can't trust them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 February 2019, 08:25:12 by Findecanor »

Offline Aelon

Don't shout at me but: I bought one...

I bought the Non-Elite $150 version of it. Non-Elite version lacks the dedicated multimedia control keys and the RGB wrist rest. Keyboard arrived today. I am typing on it now and overall my first impression is quite positive.

But as for durability and reliability: Time will tell. I will most probably write a review about my first impressions in upcoming days.

By the way, the main reason I bought it is because of the opto-mechanical switches hoping that in theory this keyboard won't chatter or misregister at all like traditional metal contact switches. And since this opto-mechanical switch thing is also a very relatively new design, time will tell what kind of problems will arise in the future. And besides I agree with you: It's Razer, can't trust them because it is a consumer gamer product. Most probably not designed to last a significant amount of time or not designed to endure professional heavy typing usage for years and years...

And for the comparison of Razer's new clicky Purple opto-mechanical switch to Cherry MX Blues:

I think it is better in every way!!!

- Less "scratchy" and wobbly.
- More smooth "snappy" feel and sound. Bottoming out the keys have a more satisfying "snap/clack"
- Easier to press
- And a little bit more crispier than Cherry MX Blue. Altough resultant sound is of course also dependant on keycaps, the material and the metal used in the keyboard and the general acoustics of the keyboard.

(By the way, the optical sensor and reciever and the RGB LED are all soldered on the PCB of the keyboard and the switch can be replaced easily without any soldering and desoldering. The switch has no electronic, solid state or "technological" parts. It is just the plain simple plastic and spring mechanism itself. It's only duty is to hold the keycaps and provide a movable obstruction for the infrared beam of the sensor/receiver. In my opinion it is a clever, economical and high quality design decision. I will try to post detailed pictures of it in my review)

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2019, 15:27:42 by Aelon »

Offline Findecanor

And besides I agree with you: It's Razer, can't trust them because it is a consumer gamer product. Most probably not designed to last a significant amount of time or not designed to endure professional heavy typing usage for years and years...
No, I meant that you can't trust Razer because they are full of ****.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Absolute ####. I tried one out and they are suspectible to damage. They will usually have keycaps stolen and are easily broken. The feel is awful and belongs in my list of the worst sounding switches . They have that rubber dome feel and the keys just don’t respond fast enough for gaming.
Mecha mechanical is awful. Get a legitimate razer black widow instead.

Offline Findecanor

Absolute ####. I tried one out and they are suspectible to damage. They will usually have keycaps stolen and are easily broken. The feel is awful and belongs in my list of the worst sounding switches . They have that rubber dome feel and the keys just don’t respond fast enough for gaming.
Mecha mechanical is awful. Get a legitimate razer black widow instead.
I think you are confusing this with the Razer Ornata. That one is a rubber dome keyboard with a clicker in each key. The Huntsman has clicky optomechanichal switches (no domes) and feels and sounds much better IMHO.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Oops!