Author Topic: Question about a 60% plate with reverse stabilizer orientation  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Question about a 60% plate with reverse stabilizer orientation
« on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:22:00 »
I have a keyboard that's using what is I think an IMSTO 60% plate, the cut-outs look exactly like this:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51565.0

Note the cut-out for the Enter key stabilizers, they point downward.  So the problem is now that the keyboard's been assembled, the stabilizers for the Enter key can't extend fully upward / mobility is slightly limited.  Because the plate wants me to use the stabilizers mounted in a way that the wire is under the switch, but the PCB needs upside-down-mounted Cherry stabilizers with the wire above the switch, as is common in other keyboards I've assembled.  It was a little tough to get the upside-down-mounted stabilizer set through the plate, but everything is attached correctly in the end--only the shape of the plate is preventing free motion of the stabilizers for Enter.  As a result, Enter has a slightly louder rebound and feels a bit different.  I did look into trying to insert the stabilizers the way the plate wanted me to, but the hole sizes in the PCB for the stabilizer mounts clearly intend for the usual orientation with the wire above the switch.  All the other stabilizer cut-outs correspond to proper orientations.  I had never encountered this issue before.

Any ideas why the plates were made this way, I'm just curious.  It's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, and when typing on the keyboard, it's not really that noticeable unless I press Enter a lot.

(P.S.: not sure if it should be in the IMSTO subforum, I thought I'd try here first, as it's a DIY issue).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Question about a 60% plate with reverse stabilizer orientation
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:38:18 »
Which PCB are you using? Those plates were probably designed before the general availability of 60% aftermarket PCBs. Mostly what was available back then was the Poker X, and prototype GH60s.

LeandreN is currently selling plates designed by me in his Round 4 group buy. I designed them to be compatible with Enter key stabilizers in either orientation.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 15:05:01 »
Ah yeah could be.  I'm using a FaceW 60% PCB.  That's good to know.  Too late for this keyboard though (all the switches in and SIP sockets).  Gotta live with it!  Basically upward stabilizer movement is limited by about 1mm compared to the fully compatible stabilizers.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 15:57:53 »
You are using Cherry's plate-mounted stabilisers, right?
The orientation should not matter as long as there is no component on the PCB where the wire would go.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 16:10:07 »
Unfortunately, PCB-mounted are all I had.  I don't know exactly what's preventing the free movement in this case.

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 01:22:47 »
hmm...

I met the same problem. not possible to change to another plate since it is plate-mount.

Any possible solution?

I'm thinking either drilling a hole at the right position, or cut the stabilizer off to make it usable.
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps