Author Topic: KeyCon 2024 - Salt Lake City, Utah - April 27th  (Read 27511 times)

Offline nephlock

KeyCon 2024 - Salt Lake City, Utah - April 27th
« on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 11:21:42 »

The Important Bits

Ticket Info
Tickets are $25 per person, and there will be a cap at 500

Purchase tickets at keycon.info

Host City
Salt Lake City, Utah - Downtown

Venue
Venue 6SIX9

Date/Time
Saturday April 27th, 2024 / 10AM-5PM

The Return of KeyCon

2020 happened, meetups went away for a while, and now that they’ve most definitely returned… Many are wondering “where is KeyCon??”. Well, after a break for a few years it's returning (with a few changes)!

Meetups of this size have become too large financially and logistically for individuals to shoulder, so JacobsMirror (who coordinated it for the past few years) approached us (NovelKeys) about taking over the yearly management of KeyCon. We love this community and feel it would be a sad loss if this event ceased to exist, so we are happily taking it on!

So this is a vendor run event now? How does this affect the vibe?
In short? It shouldn’t. We (NovelKeys) have our own annual meetup (The Keyboard Meetup) that is hosted at our HQ, and centered around showing off new/upcoming products. KeyCon won’t be an extension of that. Our aim is still to keep KeyCon about the community and allowing any vendor or maker to have equal representation.

But why?
Venues for large crowds are expensive, signage is expensive, planning is time consuming, and liability causes anxiety. In order for KeyCon to continue on, it made the most sense for it to have some financial backing beyond someone’s personal accounts.

Will NovelKeys be making money off this?
Not at all. Managing and putting on this event will be an operational loss for us. Any ticket sales go directly towards offsetting the various costs incurred to have this event.

Why Salt Lake City, why only 500 tickets, why was there no location voting like in the past?
As mentioned above, hosting an event like this takes a lot of work. With this being the first one under our wing we need to use it as a gauge moving forward. Salt Lake City is my hometown, which will help immensely in planning and logistics. It is also very close to a major airport, benefiting those flying in. If all goes well, we would love to bring back location voting in some aspect.

BREAKOUT SESSIONS - We are planning a variety of breakout sessions during the event. Info on that TBD.

VENDORS/MAKERS - We will have a dedicated site coming shortly that will allow you to reach out for a spot.

SEE YA THERE!

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:43:20 by nephlock »

Offline jacobsmirror

Re: KeyCon 2024 - Salt Lake City, Utah - April 27th
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 11:30:32 »
Thank you guys for carrying the torch. Going to be an awesome event!

Offline reggalicious

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 11:31:25 »
So excited to see this coming back, even more excited that it will be in my home town! Can't wait to see everyone there!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 11:32:07 »
Excited for this; great to see KeyCon back after 4-5 years!

Is the meetup date fixed and set in stone? While I surely expected meetup dates to collide among different regions, I've also heard that one of a significant size is being held in Dallas, TX on the same date. I know this might have a lot of people torn about which one to attend, as I'm sure there'd be people interested in attending both if possible.

In any case, SLC sounds like a great meetup location -- at least for me, who hasn't visited Utah for long before.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 11:36:12 »

Is the meetup date fixed and set in stone? While I surely expected meetup dates to collide among different regions, I've also heard that one of a significant size is being held in Dallas, TX on the same date. I know this might have a lot of people torn about which one to attend, as I'm sure there'd be people interested in attending both if possible.

In any case, SLC sounds like a great meetup location -- at least for me, who hasn't visited Utah for long before.

Unfortunately the date can't be changed. Lots of planning in the background on this, and it was unfortunate that is the same date as another meetup. I do think, though, that there is a good amount of a local scene for both areas though!

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 12:24:16 »
It's great that Keycon is back but wasn't the original intention of Keycon to be on the East Coast, as we have so fewer meets there?

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 12:33:26 »
Hell yeah! Thanks for coordinating, NK!!

Offline cdhoffmann

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 12:33:48 »
YAY! NK saves the day AGAIN

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 12:35:08 »
It's great that Keycon is back but wasn't the original intention of Keycon to be on the East Coast, as we have so fewer meets there?

I'm not sure that's the case now - there's tons of meetups everywhere.
That said, I don't think this location is fixed going forward.

Offline badchad

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 12:37:37 »
See ya there
BAD

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 13:07:23 »
my hype is through the roof

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 14:20:12 »
 ;D ;D
thanks for organizing! see ya'll there  :p
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 16:37:51 »
I’ll try to be there!!

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 17:25:11 »
I hope everyone has a fantastic time! Great to see this back.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 18:00:24 »
Awesome to see keycon return.

While I'll probably not be able to go (I live on an island away from everything so...) I will be looking forward to all the cool pics.

hope everyone has a good time :)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 18:15:13 »

Yeah...I would have loved to go to both but now can't go to keycon again  :(

Hope keycon is fun though!

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 09:54:40 »
Let's gooooo! Happy to see it in my backyard as well. Hope to see many of your faces after so many years.

Offline coelacanth

• cheesed to meet you 💪😎
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 12:12:52 »
Too bad it's in Utah, I would have liked to turn up  :'(
Geonworks Frog F13 TKL | Gateron <3  —  1984 Volvo 240 DL 2l OG Redblock Owner 

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 14:17:00 »
:) come say hi

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 14:56:16 »
Never been to SLC... This sounds like a great excuse to visit! :thumb:

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 19:54:40 »
SLC is a great place for a keycon!
-Dana

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 06:42:01 »

"Too bad it's in (INSERT LOCATION), I would have liked to turn up :'(" -Me, every time a keyboard-related event is hosted.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:08:59 »

"Too bad it's in (INSERT LOCATION), I would have liked to turn up :'(" -Me, every time a keyboard-related event is hosted.

Midwestern here, I've all but accepted I will never get to attend one of these meetups.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline YoungManKim

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 12:14:19 »

Midwestern here, I've all but accepted I will never get to attend one of these meetups.

The Midwest has had a ton of meetups this year. Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minnesota, Iowa, St. Louis, Ohio, and Detroit just to name the ones off the top of my head. You can always check tools like https://kbd.news/meetup for upcoming meetups.

Offline Prim3

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 16:58:57 »
excited for this, should hopefully be able to attend :cool: :thumb:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 07:24:39 »
Show Image

The Important Bits

Ticket Info
Tickets will be $25 per person, and there will be a cap at 500

(website for tickets coming soon)

Host City
Salt Lake City, Utah - Downtown

Venue
Venue 6SIX9

Date/Time
Saturday April 27th, 2024 / 10AM-5PM

The Return of KeyCon

2020 happened, meetups went away for a while, and now that they’ve most definitely returned… Many are wondering “where is KeyCon??”. Well, after a break for a few years it's returning (with a few changes)!

Meetups of this size have become too large financially and logistically for individuals to shoulder, so JacobsMirror (who coordinated it for the past few years) approached us (NovelKeys) about taking over the yearly management of KeyCon. We love this community and feel it would be a sad loss if this event ceased to exist, so we are happily taking it on!

So this is a vendor run event now? How does this affect the vibe?
In short? It shouldn’t. We (NovelKeys) have our own annual meetup (The Keyboard Meetup) that is hosted at our HQ, and centered around showing off new/upcoming products. KeyCon won’t be an extension of that. Our aim is still to keep KeyCon about the community and allowing any vendor or maker to have equal representation.

But why?
Venues for large crowds are expensive, signage is expensive, planning is time consuming, and liability causes anxiety. In order for KeyCon to continue on, it made the most sense for it to have some financial backing beyond someone’s personal accounts.

Will NovelKeys be making money off this?
Not at all. Managing and putting on this event will be an operational loss for us. Any ticket sales go directly towards offsetting the various costs incurred to have this event.

Why Salt Lake City, why only 500 tickets, why was there no location voting like in the past?
As mentioned above, hosting an event like this takes a lot of work. With this being the first one under our wing we need to use it as a gauge moving forward. Salt Lake City is my hometown, which will help immensely in planning and logistics. It is also very close to a major airport, benefiting those flying in. If all goes well, we would love to bring back location voting in some aspect.

BREAKOUT SESSIONS - We are planning a variety of breakout sessions during the event. Info on that TBD.

VENDORS/MAKERS - We will have a dedicated site coming shortly that will allow you to reach out for a spot.

SEE YA THERE!

Im sorry but i won't be able to attend this year, i will be able to attend in 2025 due to my dedication to my co-op

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 14:38:08 »

That was more of a modern trend with KeyCon. The first few were in Chicago (x2) and San Jose. The original intention was primarily to be a bigger meetup in a world without large meetups. xD

Offline russeree

• Creator of NyanOS | Nyan Keys
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 15:16:08 »
Looking forward to it. Great location and time!
Nyan KeysMech keyboard
Nyan OSOperating System / Firmware

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 13:58:32 »
SLC has really changed since my family and I last lived there in the 90s and 00s (good and bad haha). I think there are alot of cool things to do near/around the venue, so I'm sure it'll be fun.

There is an awesome German deli and bakery in downtown SLC if memory recalls, and I think the nightlife has also improved!

Offline mcmcmc

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 November 2023, 06:43:11 »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 24 November 2023, 14:24:08 »
when will tickets be on sale it's getting to the season where i want to start booking

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 24 November 2023, 20:01:12 »
I think I may plan to attend (if I remember to buy a ticket once they go on sale, that is).

I'd be more than happy to be a punching bag for a breakout session if folks are interested in grilling me regarding, well, you know.  :)

Offline mattp

• clack fiend
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 10:23:56 »
To confirm, this date and location are both set in stone?

It's about time to start looking for a spot to stay nearby, but would like to have tickets in hand or some confirmation that it's safe to book.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 17:14:16 »
To confirm, this date and location are both set in stone?

It's about time to start looking for a spot to stay nearby, but would like to have tickets in hand or some confirmation that it's safe to book.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Date and location are 100% confirmed. Currently working on the website. Aiming to have tickets be available in January. Stay tuned!

Offline nephlock

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 10:48:43 »

TICKETS GO LIVE - Jan 10 @ 10am Eastern

Tickets will be available at KEYCON.INFO

The time has come! The website for KeyCon 2024 will be going live Wednesday, January 10th @ 10am EST. Tickets for the event will be available for immediate purchase at $25 each. There is a cap on the tickets at 500 so if you are interested in this event, or have already made travel arrangements for it in anticipation, I would recommend grabbing your ticket promptly.

VENDORS
We have had a lot of requests for information about being a vendor at the event. When the site goes live there will be a tab for vendors. At the bottom is a form to fill out if you are interested, as well as the table options you can choose from. Do this sooner rather than later, since if there is overwhelming response here we may have to cut it off.

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:06:59 »
unable to download ticket, says that the store owner needs to subscribe to a plan on paypal. wouldn't let me check out at all through shop, it said "this store can't accept real orders or real payments"
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:09:51 by stidal »
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:16:25 »
Slight issue with the Keycon site - bare with us here.

There was an issue with the checkout when the site first went live. If you had payment issues when checking out, keep an eye on your email as we will be sending an updated invoice that should fix this. Please make sure to complete the purchase from that email we are sending.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:24:27 »
WOOOOOOO, let's gooooooooo :cool:

Who all is making the trek out?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:36:25 »
Alright, all the issues have been fixed. Sorry about that!

To confirm, though - if you receive an invoice you will need to pay that. So please check your spam/junk folders in the next hour or so. There are about 25 orders that need to pay, and a couple that will need to place new orders. All will be emailed individually though.

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:38:24 »
shop checkout didn't work, but paypal did. hopefully didn't get double invoiced/charged... waiting to see.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:41:31 »
shop checkout didn't work, but paypal did. hopefully didn't get double invoiced/charged... waiting to see.

If you were able to go through on PayPal, you will definitely get an email. PayPal should have not been on there - that was one of the odd issues with the test checkout mode. Sorry about that. You won't be doublecharged though.

Offline tenshiyoshi3

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:49:54 »
Woo just purchased the tickets!!! One question, I noticed that both my tickets say my name as "Attendee" there wasn't anywhere at checkout to add the second persons name. Is that going to be an issue, or I just need to show both ticket codes at the venue and I'm good. Thanks, super excited!!! :D

Offline Obsidiank

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:50:41 »
I purchased through paypal and saw that it didn't go through, cancelled the invoice, and then paid again through Apple Pay.

I just received another paypal invoice.  Can that be voided?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 09:56:36 »
Woo just purchased the tickets!!! One question, I noticed that both my tickets say my name as "Attendee" there wasn't anywhere at checkout to add the second persons name. Is that going to be an issue, or I just need to show both ticket codes at the venue and I'm good. Thanks, super excited!!! :D

Not an issue here! When you check into the venue, we will just scan both tickets for the guests.

I purchased through paypal and saw that it didn't go through, cancelled the invoice, and then paid again through Apple Pay.

I just received another paypal invoice.  Can that be voided?

If you receive an invoice email from the Keycon site (support@keycon.info) - it will need to be paid. There won't be any invoices sent from PayPal.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 16:42:31 »
See ya'll there  :eek:

Offline onestraysheep

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 16:57:16 »
Are tickets transferrable if you purchase, but in the end you cannot attend?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 11 January 2024, 14:19:11 »
Are tickets transferrable if you purchase, but in the end you cannot attend?

I think this is fine, but will be a case by case basis.

Just wanted to give a heads up here, we have sold around half the tickets. If you are wanting to go, I would recommend buying your tickets sooner rather than later.

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 12 January 2024, 13:34:23 »
Any hotel group rates setup or popular choices people are considering? I'm looking at either the Grand American or Little America.

Offline nephlock

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 16:25:45 »
Just a small update!

I've gotten a few more questions about how to sign up for a vendor spot.

Anyone looking or wanting to have a table as a vendor, will need to fill out the following form KeyCon 2024 Vendor Form.

Additional Info:
  • Vendor spots come with 3 free attendance tickets (without goodie bag/shirt). Any additional people coming along with the vendor, or any vendors wanting a goodie bag/shirt should purchase a separate attendance ticket.
  • Please provide us a logo file within the form, this will be used on the KeyCon site to promote your attendance.

Offline nephlock

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 11:45:03 »
Anyone looking or wanting to have a table as a vendor, will need to fill out the following form KeyCon 2024 Vendor Form.

LAST CALL FOR VENDORS!

This Friday, February 2nd, we will be closing down the vendor application form for KeyCon 2024. If you have yet to submit for yours please do so now.