Author Topic: Fans of Cherry, OEM and other sculpted profiles: share your experience with KAT sets  (Read 2440 times)

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
When I first entered the mechanical keyboard community, it was hard to ignore SA sets - they look so very good in photos and were hard to get. The FOMO in each GB was very real. But ultimately the day-to-day typing feel was disappointing, with the height and wobble being the main problems. I’ve been a cherry profile fan since.

I became interested in the KAT profile because it was a spherical low profile sculpted set, but became less interested when I discovered that the sculpt was based on SA. Despite the affordability of the keycaps and the masses of GBs that have been held, I have still not tried the KAT profile. But I am drawn to the KAT Refined GB, so now I have to ask for community feedback on their KAT purchases.

In particular, I would like to hear from people who like sculpted profiles like Cherry and OEM; what do you think of your KAT sets on a daily typing basis. It would be even better if you can compare to your experiences on SA too.

Finally, I’d like to state that I hope this thread attracts responses from people who have tried those sets in person.

Thanks

Offline xwind

I'll share once my KAT kit arrives :)

Offline mrvco

I bought the KAT DP0385 set when I was trying to decide whether to join the KAT Iron GB.  I really enjoy the KAT profile, they have a very substantial feel to them with a really nice texture.  I do have to be a bit more deliberate when typing on KAT and don't typically type quite as fast on typing tests with KAT as I do with GMK or OEM (~10% diff), but I find them to be incredibly satisfying to use regardless.  They also feel very natural to type on as opposed to my experience with the MT3 profile and its extreme dish.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 November 2020, 23:04:30 by mrvco »

Offline HungerMechanic

I could easily have bought those KAT blanks in the summer to try them out, but didn't. Resale value of used would have been nearly the same as purchase price. 'Cause they were the same colour as KAT Milkshake base.

So KAT blanks might be a viable option to test the profile.