Author Topic: Old Alps board - need help to identify.  (Read 4199 times)

Offline mougrim

Old Alps board - need help to identify.
« on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:43:59 »
So. I got this working Alps board with DIN-5 plug from one guy for 3 dollars. And here what I got:

Alps or Alps-clone with with white stem, tactile and clicky.
Double-shot thin keycaps with pad-printed Cyrillic letters.
No brand name.

Anyone knows what this is?
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Old Alps board - need help to identify.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:45:33 »
Datacomp XT clone for the Eastern European market with some form of Alps or Alps clone? A total guess from me. And I'm guessing it's Cyrllic but I don't know for sure. And the switch? It's hard to tell what it is from that picture.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:49:01 »
Yeah, cyrillic legends, but they look oddly aligned, a little higher and centered than normal
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline mougrim

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:12:42 »
Oh, some more info - it's not XT for sure, but AT - works through simple AT to ps/2 converter.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:18:43 »
OK, it's apparently manufactured by OEM manufacturer Strong Man and uses Alps SKCM White.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:22:15 »
Yeah, cyrillic legends, but they look oddly aligned, a little higher and centered than normal

I think it's custom pad-printed locally. That's why.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:23:07 »
OK, it's apparently manufactured by OEM manufacturer Strong Man and uses Alps SKCM White.

That is a sweet $3 find.  Any more info on the Strong Man manufacturer?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:28:14 »
Pretty sure those are some four-tab Alps clones, not SKCM. Hard to tell from the picture though, which is kinda blurry and dark.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 14:14:07 »

That is a sweet $3 find.  Any more info on the Strong Man manufacturer?

There are some.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Strong_Man They apparently made keyboards for Filco and even Matias.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 14:19:16 »
Pretty sure those are some four-tab Alps clones, not SKCM. Hard to tell from the picture though, which is kinda blurry and dark.

Here, the best I can do.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 15:09:33 »
Yep, as I thought, one of the four-tab clones. More specifically, I think they might be Tai-Hao APC series switches, but I’m not an expert at telling Alps clones apart, so they might be another type.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 17:23:28 »
I don't know of any others that match that design — looks like APC series to me.

I put the most common FCC grantees here, including KM9 for Strong Man:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/FCC_ID_quick_reference
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline mougrim

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 00:55:47 »
Yep, as I thought, one of the four-tab clones. More specifically, I think they might be Tai-Hao APC series switches, but I’m not an expert at telling Alps clones apart, so they might be another type.

It sure looks that way. Thanks.

Nevertheless - a good find :) I only need to clean it up and found some replacement for LED cover.

Offline LittleKawaiiNeko

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 17:32:22 »
Very similar keyboard – only visible difference is square LED holes instead of round - was seen in Russian aftermarket with branding by Vist company, well-known in 90's.150031-0
They was first in Russia, who started assembling computers from parts, when others has only making import of ready products. And looks like, they ordered some OEM products from Taiwanese manufacturers. Later 90's was hard time with hard financial problems for them. They borrowed money from very wrong people and company director was shot in the end of 1999. Sad, but Russian business is so Russian.
This keyboard has Strong Man FCC ID, typical Ti-Hao keycaps with native Cyrillic letters and Ti-Hao switches . Most of them are white Alps clones, switch for Enter key is yellow-lemon and more stiff. Spacebar switch is white, and is more stiff, then other white switches and similar to Enter yellow switch. Every switch has different letter and number code.
Typing makes some more noise, than is comfortable for me.
Not so monumentally built, as NMB rubber-dome RT-101, but good and sturdy.
Keyboard before it's cleaned:
150033-1
Some insides (with some ancient dust):
150035-2150037-3150039-4150041-5150043-6150045-7150047-8
Keycaps:
150049-9
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 October 2016, 17:56:53 by LittleKawaiiNeko »