Author Topic: [IC] DOLCH & GABBANA GMK  (Read 23288 times)

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
[IC] DOLCH & GABBANA GMK
« on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:04:37 »
Sooo, I just had this word (/name) play with dolch in my head and really liked the mental image that came along with it.
I know it's very easy doing a spin-off of the dolch colour-way but I still thought I'd run it by you guys.

Anyway, here's my Idea:

The set will work well with black, gray / silver and white case colours, but especially work well with Champagne / Gold coloured ones. (There aren't many sets that work well with champagne cases)

The matte-Gold colour is taken from a Pantone swatch (16-0836 TCX).
Of course this is just the base idea to see how it resonates. If this gets some momentum, the usual add-on kit's and novelties will be done too, as expected. (incl. extensive Layout coverage)

Edit: No Name copyright infringements here since the word "Gabbana" means Coat / Gown in Italian. This makes the name dolch & gabbana even better, since it's a dolch coat (or dolch gown) for your keyboard.

Edit2: here some very basic novelty sketches (http://i.imgur.com/a754m2t.jpg) I had in mind... will take them to illustrator later this week

Took me a bit longer but here are the Novelty ideas more fleshed out:

(Actually working on a different keyset, but that one is more complex and this one was a quite easy idea I still wanted to pitch out there)
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 July 2017, 08:27:06 by rioc »

Offline neralo

Re: [IC] DOLCH & GABBANA GMK
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:11:32 »
This has got to be the best name for a colourway I've ever seen.

Also a sucker for dolch, so thumbs up for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline rioc

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:14:59 »
This has got to be the best name for a colourway I've ever seen.

Also a sucker for dolch, so thumbs up for me :)

:thumb:

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:19:43 »
Are you sure you can use that name for a set?

Offline rioc

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:26:58 »
Are you sure you can use that name for a set?

Pretty sure since "Gabbana" is just an Italian word meaning Coat / Frock / Gown... and Dolch, well is just dolch

edit: thinking of it, this makes the name dolch & gabbana even better, since it's a dolch coat (or dolch gown) for your keyboard ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:28:35 by rioc »

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:48:36 »
Shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't try and use the logo/shortname

Trademarks are very specific. TBH it might not even cover the shortname since keyboards don't really have any relation to fashion. The logo itself is likely trademarked, but again, only the specific exact logo. Like "Dumb Starbucks".

Offline rioc

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:51:15 »
Shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't try and use the logo/shortname

Trademarks are very specific. TBH it might not even cover the shortname since keyboards don't really have any relation to fashion. The logo itself is likely trademarked, but again, only the specific exact logo. Like "Dumb Starbucks".

yeah, I'll be careful and considering this when I go on to designing the novelties ;) (but thanks for the heads-up) :)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 04:49:18 »
yeah, I'll be careful and considering this when I go on to designing the novelties ;) (but thanks for the heads-up) :)

TBH, you can likely get around it pretty easy. Lots of companies have DG trademarked for various things.

Trademarks are very specific:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/fashion/dunfermline-beats-dolce-gabbana-in-trademark-wrangle-1-2177114

I'd just change the name to Dolch + Gabbana / D+G (+/and/& are different from a trademark perspective). Use the font from the dolch logo, put it in a box and stuff.

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 06:48:54 »
like it  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:32:46 »
This is yolch. I was gonna run it.

I'll probably buy it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:49:14 »

I'll probably buy it.

Was just going to write that it's Yolch.

Offline rioc

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 11:24:31 »

I'll probably buy it.

oh damn, I didn't know about that one... I checked to see if there's already dolch-gold mix around but didn't find anything

erm, is yours also with matte-gold accents?

edit: I found your IC from last year... I see the similarities, but yours is Yellow... I had champagne / gold keyboard casings in mind specifically... I hope you don't hate me for this now
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 11:26:49 by rioc »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 11:39:38 »

I'll probably buy it.

oh damn, I didn't know about that one... I checked to see if there's already dolch-gold mix around but didn't find anything

edit: I found your IC from last year... I see the similarities, but yours is Yellow... I had champagne / gold keyboard casings in mind specifically... I hope you don't hate me for this now

My IC was from like 2 months ago.

I probably wasn't going to run it, so I don't mind.

You should know though, that yolch is a colorway with a lot of history, and should probably be run under that name. At least run it in DCS or GMK with text mods, so that it's in like with the historic dolch sets.

Maybe I'm nitpicking.

GL with IC/GB.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rioc

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 11:49:08 »

I'll probably buy it.

You should know though, that yolch is a colorway with a lot of history, and should probably be run under that name. At least run it in DCS or GMK with text mods, so that it's in like with the historic dolch sets.

Maybe I'm nitpicking.

GL with IC/GB.

oh, then I didn't find the right one... found one from February 2016...

we can collaborate on this if you like.

I don't really see this as a Y, since it's not yellow I'm going with as an accent (I'll tweak it to be more golden-brown looking maybe, since it's hard to do a matte-gold. Just went off of a pantone swatch for this accent for now)... but I'll surely try to contact everyone involved with yolch in the past to clear things up.
I was thinking of GMK and text mods as main, with a few kits for layout compatibility and novelties leaning towards D&G since I derived the name from there...
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 11:50:48 by rioc »

Offline Auk

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 11:53:57 »
I think this looks good, but as always the render does not look much like the color #C8B273 I get from my image editor. Does anyone understand color space enough to point out the reason? is this something we can correct?

172406-0     172412-1

N.B. I'm browsing on Linux Mint 17, using GIMP for image editing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 13:25:00 by Auk »

Offline rioc

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 13:02:09 »
I think this looks good, but as always the render does not look much like the color #C8B273 I get from my image editor. Does anyone understand color space enough to point out the reason? is this something we can correct?

(Attachment Link)

yeah, the kle base image is more like it... dunno if the rendered brightened it up... but will surely have to tweak it

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 13:12:07 »
would pick up if its gold/champagne for sure.

Offline Auk

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 13:33:04 »
yeah, the kle base image is more like it...

I added a similar image with the simple block of color over the kle base image, and while it's closer it's not quite the Pantone color. When you create the layout, do you literally input the hex code or rgb values from the Pantone swatch, or do you pick a color that is closest? EDIT: found the kle editor website, I see the field now to input the hex code.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 13:56:20 by Auk »

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:15:26 »

(Attachment Link)       (Attachment Link)

hard to get the colors exactly right from kle to the render
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:18:07 by Rafa_n »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:19:32 »

I'll probably buy it.

I thought of you when I saw this haha

Thought "hey, that is Yolch!"

Offline colgateam

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:25:27 »
here goes another $200 =)

Offline badchad

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:46:45 »
I said I loved it on reddit but I wanna reiterate here. This is endgame set. Also I cant wait for the novelties. The GAUDIER THE BETTER!!

BAD

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:59:22 »

I'll probably buy it.

Maybe I'm nitpicking.

GL with IC/GB.

OG Dolch keyboards have mods with icons!
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 15:00:46 »

I'll probably buy it.

Maybe I'm nitpicking.

GL with IC/GB.

I don't really see this as a Y, since it's not yellow I'm going with as an accent (I'll tweak it to be more golden-brown looking maybe, since it's hard to do a matte-gold. Just went off of a pantone swatch for this accent for now)... but I'll surely try to contact everyone involved with yolch in the past to clear things up.
I was thinking of GMK and text mods as main, with a few kits for layout compatibility and novelties leaning towards D&G since I derived the name from there...

Plz no, it's gotta have icons!
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline rioc

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 17:06:28 »

I'll probably buy it.

Maybe I'm nitpicking.

GL with IC/GB.

Plz no, it's gotta have icons!

had icon-mods as separate kit in mind sooo ;)

Offline kconfire

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 00:17:50 »
There were many keycaps I wanted but then came GB time I pulled out.
This is something I will do my 100% to make sure I'm in the GB.
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline rioc

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 15:43:42 »
added Novelty ideas to main post...

haven't had much time lately so progress was slow. Will work on renders for all compatibility kits like Ortholinear, ISO and EU languages, Colevrak, Ergodox, Exotics, etc.

Offline Auk

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 15:56:07 »
compatibility kits like Ortholinear, ISO and EU languages, Colevrak, Ergodox, Exotics, etc.

Nautilus kit structure has worked pretty well, some of the grumbles I've noted on the MD pages:
  • Scandinavian users want a usable key for left side of numerals on row 1
  • A few complaints about the lack of barred homing keys
  • Planck/Preonic users are feeling hard done by on the Ortho/Ergodox kit, $100 gives them only a few keys they need
  • A couple of people asked for blank alphas (see how Mondiran does?)
  • No 3u spacebar (endlessly asked for)
  • No 2u shift
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 July 2017, 15:57:47 by Auk »

Offline Konjungamo

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 16:30:38 »
compatibility kits like Ortholinear, ISO and EU languages, Colevrak, Ergodox, Exotics, etc.

Nautilus kit structure has worked pretty well, some of the grumbles I've noted on the MD pages:
  • Planck/Preonic users are feeling hard done by on the Ortho/Ergodox kit, $100 gives them only a few keys they need
  • No 2u shift

Solid list, +1

Offline rioc

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 16:42:06 »

• No 2u shift

Thanks for the input.

I can totally feel point 1 and more, since my native  Swiss  German layout is never supported ever...

I also picked up on some of the other points you mentioned, but not all so thanks again for listing  it. :) weil surely help

Sent from my sofa using lazy-stuff...

Offline kconfire

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 13:43:58 »
When do you think this can become a GB?
I'm so into this.. lol

Offline rioc

[IC] DOLCH & GABBANA GMK
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 13:51:49 »
When do you think this can become a GB?
I'm so into this.. lol

To stay realistic I'd say Q1 2018 (work & private life is kinda busy these weeks so I've been slow)

Working on some new ideas for novelties  now.
Then gonna work on the renders.

Extra kits and compatibility will be similar to nautilus and other recent gmk sets

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 14:55:56 »
Following with interest

Offline rioc

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 16:05:18 »

Offline kconfire

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 09:59:15 »
I really can't wait for this GMK keyset!

Offline rioc

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 10:08:08 »
I really can't wait for this GMK keyset!
;)

I've been slow with progress lately, have been rather busy with work and other social events... will pick up the pace next month again :)

Offline LittleWitch

• LittleWitch's Keyboard Workstation
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:46:18 »
I'll take it.

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 10:13:59 »
Interesting :)

Offline Marutks

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:34:36 »
"Win" keys make this set useless for people who don't use windows.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 08:35:00 »

This is confusing. 90% of sets from GMK have some kind of "Win" or Windows logo key and no alternative for other operating systems (No apple or tux key). The closest thing is a "Code" key.

Also it doesn't necessarily make it "useless". He hasn't even made any kits and stuff yet. At this point, I feel like the IC is still just for the color palette as opposed to the actual keys.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 09:02:55 »

Non "Win" keys make this set useless for people who use Windows.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 17:02:29 »

Lol wut?

How would using something generic like Code make the set useless for anyone? Or something like yuri diamonds? Not having a windows logo/specific key is a total non-issue and I say this as someone who only uses windows.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 18:17:45 »

Lol wut?

How would using something generic like Code make the set useless for anyone? Or something like yuri diamonds? Not having a windows logo/specific key is a total non-issue and I say this as someone who only uses windows.

Just reversing this statement. See how dumb it sounds?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 18:19:40 »

Lol wut?

No. Because Win is actually wrong for other OS and not Generic. Your intent is understood. You want windows keys. But it makes no sense to use something non-generic as the only option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 20:28:29 »

Lol wut?

No. Because Win is actually wrong for other OS and not Generic. Your intent is understood. You want windows keys. But it makes no sense to use something non-generic as the only option.

Honestly, it makes no sense to only include diamonds and code keys. Get that **** out of here. I'll pay $20 more for ****ing windows keys.

I'm all for windows logos and the other things that go on keycaps that are OS agnostic. Just don't do one or the other.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 20:52:51 »

Lol wut?

Honestly, it makes no sense to only include diamonds and code keys. Get that **** out of here. I'll pay $20 more for ****ing windows keys.

I'm all for windows logos and the other things that go on keycaps that are OS agnostic. Just don't do one or the other.

Not AND. OR. Diamonds OR Code keys. And the reason it makes sense is because more caps means higher prices. Especially if you wanna include both 1u and 1.25u versions. You act as if there is no cost to adding more keys to a set. And while you might gladly pay an extra $20 for a windows logo. There are many people where $20 would stop them from buying the set at all.

I feel like if you price out a kit for say $160 and then told everyone you could drop the price to $140 by removing the windows logos (and keeping either Code/Super or something generic) that the vast majority would vote to save $20.

I'm not advocating one any or the other. I'm fine with windows keys, and I'm fine with both. I'm fine with just Code keys. You seem to be forgetting that you aren't everyone. Your opinions and wants are not the only ones that matter. The goal is the best set is the best set for everyone. My point is something agnostic is better as it offers coverage for everyone.

Obviously, if our goal was to build whatever set best suits wholypantalones everyone else be damned, then yes, windows keys would be the best option, but 1 GH user does not a group buy make.

TBH, what would actually be smart would be to use the fleur de lis legend from GMK Iris. Seems more thematically correct to me. Or maybe a D&G crown.

You aren't being helpful or constructive or thoughtful. You are just shouting what you want everyone else be damned.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 20:56:00 »

Lol wut?

Not AND. OR. Diamonds OR Code keys. And the reason it makes sense is because more caps means higher prices. Especially if you wanna include both 1u and 1.25u versions. You act as if there is no cost to adding more keys to a set. And while you might gladly pay an extra $20 for a windows logo. There are many people where $20 would stop them from buying the set at all.

I feel like if you price out a kit for say $160 and then told everyone you could drop the price to $140 by removing the windows logos (and keeping either Code/Super or something generic) that the vast majority would vote to save $20.

I'm not advocating one any or the other. I'm fine with windows keys, and I'm fine with both. I'm fine with just Code keys. You seem to be forgetting that you aren't everyone. Your opinions and wants are not the only ones that matter. The goal is the best set is the best set for everyone. My point is something agnostic is better as it offers coverage for everyone.

Obviously, if our goal was to build whatever set best suits wholypantalones everyone else be damned, then yes, windows keys would be the best option, but 1 GH user does not a group buy make.

TBH, what would actually be smart would be to use the fleur de lis legend from GMK Iris. Seems more thematically correct to me. Or maybe a D&G crown.

You aren't being helpful or constructive or thoughtful. You are just shouting what you want everyone else be damned.

I think my point got missed in your giant paragraph.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 20:57:11 »

Lol wut?

I think my point got missed in your giant paragraph.

I don't think you read what I wrote. You are literally advocating for all of them. I'm explaining why that might not make sense.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 20:59:12 »
But just to be more clear. I'm saying there is logic in JUST including Code keys. You aren't gonna use Code keys and windows keys at the same time. So adding redundant keys to a set and raising the price just cause you are bothered by not having an actual windows labeled windows key is nonsensical.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 21:25:14 »
But just to be more clear. I'm saying there is logic in JUST including Code keys. You aren't gonna use Code keys and windows keys at the same time. So adding redundant keys to a set and raising the price just cause you are bothered by not having an actual windows labeled windows key is nonsensical.

This whole conversation is nonsensical.