Author Topic: Locking Removable USB Cable for Model M  (Read 4026 times)

Offline wcass

Locking Removable USB Cable for Model M
« on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 19:33:47 »
I started my TSSK mod in July of 2011; I just finished it today. The last part of the mod was to get a working controller. Thanks to Soarer’s Converter, that is finally done.  If you are not familiar with it, you can read about it and download the code from here.

Early in my project, I knew that the keyboard would be USB and I wanted a removable cable. When I ordered a Teensy, I also ordered the “panel mount” USB cable, but that did not work very well. First, the two vertical pins on the bottom of the case had to come off because they blocked the “ears” of the panel mount cable. I also had to drill two holes on the back. After mounting the cable, I found that it protruded too far into the case to allow the case to close properly.

I had seen others use is a standard USB-B plug, but that is much smaller than the hole on the back of the Model M. I did not want to leave a large void like that and I liked the positive lock of the original IBM cable. The ideal thing to use would be an SDL connector as it would exactly fill the hole on the back of the Model M. The down side of this choice is that SDL connectors are almost impossible to find. And I would need a special crimp tool to get the plug on the end of a USB cable.

Hay, I have a crimp tool for RJ45 – might that work?  Sure. The jack height is the same as SDL and although the width is not, it is much closer than a USB-B would have been.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 45554[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 45555[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 45556[/ATTACH]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 45557[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 45558[/ATTACH]

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 09:51:32 »
Very nice mod, and good use of a rj45 plug. I might have to try ths one now. Just curious did you have to swap those caps from a unicomp or were you able to buy the caps from them directly?

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 10:12:52 »
Nicely done! I like the use of an rj45. Very cool idea. Also I like the blue color of your board!
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline wcass

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 10:19:49 »
i had a unicomp, so did swap many of the keys.

but keycaps are cheap from unicomp; $25 for a full set and if you get the full set, you can get proper Win and Menu keys.

one thing to note though is that i did not get all of the special print keys exactly as i wanted them. you need to be very specific - particularly about the size/shape of the key (1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, etc) and whether to print the text or symbol for things like Pause or Play.

BTW, i was not crazy about unicomp's volume down or mute symbols, but thought the mute looked ok for a volume down. i access mute using a macro - shift volume down. below is the code i use for this keyboard.
Code: [Select]
# Billy's TSSK layout

remapblock
    F7    DELETE
    F8    END
    F9    PAGE_DOWN
    F10    LEFT
    F11    DOWN
    F12    RIGHT
        F13    F7
        F14    F8
        F15    F9
        F16    F10
        F17    F11
        F18    F12
        F19    INSERT
        F20    HOME
        F21    PAGE_UP
        F22    SCROLL_LOCK
        F23    UP
        F24    PAUSE
    FAKE_06    BACKSLASH
        FAKE_08    ESC
    FAKE_09    PRINTSCREEN
    FAKE_10    MEDIA_MEDIA_SELECT
    FAKE_11 MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
    FAKE_12    MEDIA_PREV_TRACK
    FAKE_13    MEDIA_NEXT_TRACK
    FAKE_14    MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN
    FAKE_15    MEDIA_VOLUME_UP
    FAKE_16    APP
    FAKE_17    LGUI
endblock

macroblock
    macro MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN shift
        PRESS MEDIA_MUTE
    endmacro
endblock

Offline wcass

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 11:02:35 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;556244
Nicely done! I like the use of an rj45. Very cool idea. Also I like the blue color of your board!

Thanks.

the color is a Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric HPV102. i found it on line and then called all my local auto parts stores and asked them to check the shelves. one place had it and it was much cheaper than getting it shipped via web order. i think it looks really nice with the gray keys and silver logo.

if i wanted to spend enough to get this perfect, i would have ordered a SDL socket and custom 1.5" x .75" pcb for the case. the cable would start with an the real thing and just replace the AT/PS2 connector with a USB. but i think the RJ45 looks pretty good for < $1 worth of parts.