Author Topic: [IC] KAT Refined - GB starts tomorrow!  (Read 192136 times)

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
Re: [IC] KAT Refined - Kitting finalized! | GB in October 2020
« Reply #550 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 14:50:51 »
For future reference (for folks reading this far), Ergo kits in KAT can use either R2 or R1 for the bottom row.  It's just important that the 1u keys in the thumb clusters be R2.

With R1, the bottom row gets a slightly more optimal sculpt.
With R2, the keys in the bottom row are interchangeable with those in the thumb clusters.

Note that if you go with R2 bottom row, double-check that you've included 2x R1 1u caps of some sort (for Ergodoxian boards that use 1u keys in the central columns).

Regardless of what you choose, the convex keys you supply with the kit will be technically R1, but their actual shape looks fine alongside either R1 or R2.

Offline dylan_k

• No Categories
Re: [IC] KAT Refined - Last week for kit updates | GB in October 2020
« Reply #551 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 09:04:04 »
  • It would be nice to have R4 = for Mac users and those who like to put equals on their numpads.
    • Macs by default have R4 = on their keyboards.
    • See the kit examples linked above for this as well.
    • Action points: Add R4 1u = to Numpad.

Agreed. Too often the keysets' support for Macs ends with the modifiers. There are a few other differences, like the above. Also, media icons on the function row for example. I'd love to see those.

Offline pandaman97

« Reply #552 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 21:43:43 »
Would be nice if have RGBY modifiers  :rolleyes:

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
« Reply #553 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 02:40:57 »
My stomach is growling! This looks sooooo delish, nomnomnomnomnomnom. 

Offline Runningtarrens

« Reply #554 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 17:39:49 »
any chance to get a homing e into the colmak set?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #555 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 02:42:31 »
I was expecting the new sample caps around this time but I just heard back that they are delayed. We might not have them before the GB starts which is of course not ideal, all though pretty standard. I would have loved to have everything locked down before the GB started but that was maybe a bit optimistic. I will be working to get them in a perfect state of course and will share updates to the samples whenever I get them. And if I need to then we will do a third, fourth and fifth round of samples.

3 weeks left folks! Thank you!

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #556 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 04:11:46 »
I will be working to get them in a perfect state of course and will share updates to the samples whenever I get them. And if I need to then we will do a third, fourth and fifth round of samples.
This dedication to getting things right is super reassuring to me – without doubt I am in on this set. :)

Offline kevle123

« Reply #557 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 19:33:48 »
Hey. Amazing design, I'm really looking forward to this next month. I was just wondering if there were any plans regarding alpha kits with hangul or japanese sublegends of some sort. Thanks.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #558 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 07:36:10 »
Would be nice if have RGBY modifiers  :rolleyes:

any chance to get a homing e into the colmak set?

Hey. Amazing design, I'm really looking forward to this next month. I was just wondering if there were any plans regarding alpha kits with hangul or japanese sublegends of some sort. Thanks.

Kits are locked down, so not in this round. Sorry  :cool:

I will be working to get them in a perfect state of course and will share updates to the samples whenever I get them. And if I need to then we will do a third, fourth and fifth round of samples.
This dedication to getting things right is super reassuring to me – without doubt I am in on this set. :)

Thank you!

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #559 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 07:36:46 »
Prices came in today. Looking very good I think. Will share as soon as I have them from all the vendors.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #560 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 13:51:37 »
Nice, looking forward to these sets.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline leavenember

« Reply #561 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 02:50:59 »
Sorry if this is a bit picky but the microphone in the tx66 render at the top of the first page is kinda sideways... just bothers me a little.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
Re: [IC] KAT Refined - Pricing added! | GB starts on Oct 1st 2020
« Reply #562 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 14:45:25 »

First prices have been added. Will continue to update on the front page as I get the others.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2020, 14:49:14 by MacSurfy »

Offline atnentec

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 16:27:12 »
Just curious, what made you choose non-blank keys for the ergo kit? This seems to be common, but as an ergodox user myself I don't really understand it.

I have those keys mapped to all sorts of things on my ergodox, and I would assume that everyone maps theirs differently. Making a kit with legends that will actually match up with what the key is used for seems like kind of a futile effort.

With a blank set, there would be no need to have multiple variants of the same key, and I personally think that a blank key is better than a with a legend that doesn't match the function (maybe that's just me being crazy :P).

Do people just prefer the look of having legends even if they don't match the function?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #564 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 17:10:48 »
Just curious, what made you choose non-blank keys for the ergo kit? This seems to be common, but as an ergodox user myself I don't really understand it.

I have those keys mapped to all sorts of things on my ergodox, and I would assume that everyone maps theirs differently. Making a kit with legends that will actually match up with what the key is used for seems like kind of a futile effort.

With a blank set, there would be no need to have multiple variants of the same key, and I personally think that a blank key is better than a with a legend that doesn't match the function (maybe that's just me being crazy :P).

Do people just prefer the look of having legends even if they don't match the function?

There has been some amazing research done on this topic. This set's ergo kit is based on that, as well as feedback from several ergo users.

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #565 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 17:40:34 »
I'm so ready for this to go to GB. With the prices up, I might just have to pick up Alphas + Mods in both BoW and WoB. :thumb:

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #566 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 01:13:27 »

What Konstantin said.

But also, this set is white or black. You would end up with extremely plain blanks which at least for me makes no sense. I might as well not have the kit then. The solution I ended up with will not please all but in the end I think it is better to have it like this than not at all.

Thanks!

Offline atnentec

« Reply #567 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 02:01:51 »
Interesting! Didn't know there was this much research done on topic. Oh well, I guess I'm in the minority then :). Good luck with the GB!

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #568 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 02:05:53 »
Interesting! Didn't know there was this much research done on topic. Oh well, I guess I'm in the minority then :). Good luck with the GB!

Actual data is a great way to make choices in a community where so many are very vocal about what they want. Thanks for considering though, cheers!

Offline dibstern

« Reply #569 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 09:06:27 »
While I love the set, honestly WS2 seems nicer than the current colour? Who wants a darker white? Surprises me. It looks like WS2 fits the E-white board you have either rendered or taken a photo of better than the current colour. Like in the renders, that definitely looks like more of a WS2 white to me. I am colourblind though, so maybe someone else can comment?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #570 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 09:21:58 »
While I love the set, honestly WS2 seems nicer than the current colour? Who wants a darker white? Surprises me. It looks like WS2 fits the E-white board you have either rendered or taken a photo of better than the current colour. Like in the renders, that definitely looks like more of a WS2 white to me. I am colourblind though, so maybe someone else can comment?

I think many prefer WS1 to WS2. For GMK the option (WS2) has been around forever but so far only two (?) sets have used it (of which one has not been delivered yet) so at least that tells me something. That was not the deciding factor though but WS2 will be harder to match with e-white since the many of them actually have a bit yellow in them rather than being white with a blue tone. You should not stare at renders to make that call but look at physical caps and boards, in real life. The GMK WS2 I have at home does not fit my e-white board. It looked like someone bleached half their teeth and forgot the rest  ;D

What I chose is between ws1 and ws2. It's a very neutral white. I think it looks great on Milkshake personally.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #571 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 09:25:14 »

WS1, in my eyes, is not a "subtle cream".
I personally think it fits way better on an e-white board than WS2, for example.
WS1 is still considered "white", just not as "cold" as WS2.

Here's an example of WS1 (GMK Minimal) on an e-white Polaris:

Show Image

I think that fits wonderful.

Agree. E-white finishes can vary from manu to manu and from keyboard to keyboard, but in my experience it's usually closer to WS1 than WS2. I think Keyreative's stock white (the one used in KAT Alpha and KAT Milkshake) might be an even better match to your average e-white finish than WS1 is.

Offline dRpkebs

« Reply #572 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 19:02:58 »
Not sure if this has been asked, but what is the difference between KAT Refined and KAT Monochrome?

They both pretty much look the same to me.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #573 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 19:03:56 »
Not sure if this has been asked, but what is the difference between KAT Refined and KAT Monochrome?

Blasphemy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #574 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 20:57:53 »
Very stoked for this. Also, very happy to see 2x 3u in the spacebar kit!

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #575 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 01:08:32 »

Take a closer look at the legends.  For example, notice that the alphas for KAT Monochrome have a character in a large font in the center of the key, and in KAT Refined the legend on the same alpha key is in a smaller font in the upper left corner.  KAT Monochrome's legends are typical of Keyreative sets, while KAT Refined is trying to be a KAT set that has legends that look as much as GMK's as possible.  If you compare the legends on any key in KAT Refined to the corresponding key in either KAT Monochrome or in any GMK set, you'll probably see that it looks more like the GMK legend than the other KAT set's legend.

Offline dRpkebs

« Reply #576 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 12:59:54 »
Well it definitely looks like I'm in!

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #577 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 15:30:19 »

:confused:

Very stoked for this. Also, very happy to see 2x 3u in the spacebar kit!

Well it definitely looks like I'm in!

Thank you!

Offline Locky333

« Reply #578 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 03:36:26 »
First of all, this is my first comment. Second, I want to thank you for including NORDEUK. This is the first keycap set im buying. Black mods, white alfas. Soo nice!

Are those ABS doubleshot or PBT dyesub?
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2020, 03:38:32 by Locky333 »

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #579 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 04:06:16 »
KAT is Pbt DyeSub

Offline ethercy

« Reply #580 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 23:53:05 »
I'd like to go full black with white enter+esc. Any chance making that an option without buying both entire sets?

Offline dibstern

« Reply #581 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 22:22:29 »

I think many prefer WS1 to WS2. For GMK the option (WS2) has been around forever but so far only two (?) sets have used it (of which one has not been delivered yet) so at least that tells me something. That was not the deciding factor though but WS2 will be harder to match with e-white since the many of them actually have a bit yellow in them rather than being white with a blue tone. You should not stare at renders to make that call but look at physical caps and boards, in real life. The GMK WS2 I have at home does not fit my e-white board. It looked like someone bleached half their teeth and forgot the rest  ;D

What I chose is between ws1 and ws2. It's a very neutral white. I think it looks great on Milkshake personally.

Epic, thanks mate!!

P.S. This looks so damn bloody good. I am so damn keen on the Planck render, it makes me sick. I curse how long it takes for keycaps to be made. Thank god KAT is faster than GMK!

Offline dibstern

« Reply #582 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 22:27:25 »

:confused:

Don't sweat it my dude, this looks so much better than KAT Monochrome IMO. This is what KAT Monochrome wishes it was, it's so much classier and is so different to what is already out there - I much prefer the legends on Refined. Apologies to JSaintS (who designed KAT Monochrome), I don't mean to throw shade, it's just my preference!
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2020, 22:35:15 by dibstern »

Offline Patates

« Reply #583 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 00:23:25 »
Been following this IC quietly, but after looking at the prices and kits offered, I'm in for a BoW Alpha and Text Mod set. from a general 60% layout user, I love the variety available. Would've liked to see a row 1 Delete key, but that's really only for GK64 layout. Anyway looking forward to this!

Offline Krzew

« Reply #584 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 15:03:20 »
Show Image

First prices have been added. Will continue to update on the front page as I get the others.

what does 54K MOQ mean? i dont believe its 54 thousand MOQ

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #585 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 15:31:29 »

It is. The way that Keyreative MOQs work is based on the total number of keys/units ordered. Every kit has a unit count (1u + 2u + 6.25u + ...). 54k means the minimum order quantity for the set to be produced is 54 thousand units.

Among other things, the lack of per-kit MOQs is what makes it feasible for sets to include kits for obscure layouts that you don't usually see in other profiles.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2020, 15:34:32 by konstantin »

Offline Nessism

« Reply #586 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 18:30:34 »
I'm excited for this set and plan to order.  My son wants some too. 

I wish there was options for mixed color F row keys without having to order both black and white sets.  Yes, a quibble.  I want to mix the two colors like the photo on the website shows. :cool:

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #587 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 05:19:58 »
I wish there was options for mixed color F row keys without having to order both black and white sets.  Yes, a quibble.  I want to mix the two colors like the photo on the website shows. :cool:

Thankfully the F keys are split out into a separate kit, so you don't have to pay for an entire second mods kit, just a small F keys kit :)

Offline Krzew

« Reply #588 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 08:40:17 »

It is. The way that Keyreative MOQs work is based on the total number of keys/units ordered. Every kit has a unit count (1u + 2u + 6.25u + ...). 54k means the minimum order quantity for the set to be produced is 54 thousand units.

Among other things, the lack of per-kit MOQs is what makes it feasible for sets to include kits for obscure layouts that you don't usually see in other profiles.
oh, that's interesting. thanks for answering!

Offline afynyth

« Reply #589 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 18:27:47 »
I'm not sure if this has already been asked and how it would work, but will this font be made available to other KAT keyset designers in the future? It would be cool to see other KAT profile sets with this font in different colorways, and I'm sure others would appreciate it as well (I also find the default KAT centered legends too large and out of place).

In the meantime, definitely picking up a set in 2 days!

Offline bamblerow

« Reply #590 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 01:15:35 »
It would be cool to see other KAT profile sets with this font in different colorways

Here to +1 this idea. I like the colorway of refined, but am absolutely in love with the font and non-center letters.

Offline rsvnh

• Sem van Nieuwenhuizen
    • Sem van Nieuwenhuizen
Re: [IC] KAT Refined - GB starts tomorrow!
« Reply #591 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 06:59:29 »
It would be cool to see other KAT profile sets with this font in different colorways

Here to +1 this idea. I like the colorway of refined, but am absolutely in love with the font and non-center letters.

Oh man a KAT "Mr. Sleeves" would be lit.

Offline A.Belousov

« Reply #592 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 07:07:43 »
Oh yes, mr.Sleeves would be awesome. Great idea

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #593 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 04:25:28 »
GB thread is avaiting approval. This one will be locked soon.

Offline FunBox

• Null
« Reply #594 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 04:41:45 »
It's finally here! I've dubbed today as KAT Refined day! Of thread closes before this goes through I would just like to thank you for all your hard work.
I can't wait to give this profile a try ʘ‿ʘ

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #595 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 12:41:18 »
Lawd have mercy

Offline Scanna88

« Reply #596 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 14:43:54 »
Why i can' t find them on MyKeyboard?  :'(

Offline rsvnh

• Sem van Nieuwenhuizen
    • Sem van Nieuwenhuizen

Offline RoyalRuby

« Reply #598 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 15:59:59 »
This is my first time buying a key cap set. I have a 65% Varmilo board so the only kits I'll need are alphas and mods, correct?

Offline bamblerow

« Reply #599 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 16:33:30 »
This is my first time buying a key cap set. I have a 65% Varmilo board so the only kits I'll need are alphas and mods, correct?

Yes that is correct.

The mods kit handles your 6 r1 1.25u ctrl/alts/etc for the bottom row, and your r4/r3 ins/del/pgD/pgU too.