Author Topic: [IC] GMK Yütousu | GB is Live until Aug 19th!  (Read 27605 times)

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
[IC] GMK Yütousu | GB is Live until Aug 19th!
« on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 18:38:43 »

Hey Everyone! Welcome to the IC of GMK Yütousu (芋頭酥). GB IS LIVE. GB THREAD

芋頭 "yütou" means taro, and"su" means flaky (pastry)

This set is inspired by my favorite Taiwanese pastry called yütousu. This taro pastry has a thin flaky spherical outer shell, with a plentiful taro paste core. Mochi or egg yolk is sometimes included in the center as well (my favorite being the mochi). Ever since I was little, my grandma has brought yütousu from Taiwan every year when she visits for us to enjoy together. Unfortunately, we haven't been able continue this tradition the past two years due to COVID and I really miss being able hang out with my grandma and eat yütousu together.

Consider filling out the IC Form if you're interested.

IC Form
Discord
Instagram

Kits

Base Kit (with Zhuyin Sublegends)

Latin Alphas Kit

Novelties Kit

Spacebars Kit

Renders

Phoenix WK/WKL

Isometria

Rama U80

Fuji 65

Vendors

US - CannonKeys

CA - DeskHero

UK - Prototypist

EU - MyKeyboard

CN - zFrontier

SEA - iLumkb

OCE - DailyClack

GB Date

TBD

Pricing

(Tentative) (in USD)

Base: $130
Latin Alphas: $79
Novelties: $45
Spacebar: $27
HIBI: $42

Collabs

Bungkee.caps

Sandun

tulipclay

Miroticaps

HIBI

TBD

DM me on discord ivanh#9416 if you're interested in collabing with the set!

Signature

]
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116279.0][img width=263 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/a4KpSCq.jpg[/img]][/url]

GMK Yütousu IC Form
Discord
Instagram

Update Log

7/5/2022 - Pricing Updated, Group Buy Date Final
6/24/2022 - HIBI Collab added, tentative group buy date added
6/16/2022 - Pricing out, vendor list finalized.
5/11/2022 - Novelties Kit updated due to better fit GMK guidelines, resubmitted for quotes. Renders updated to reflect changes.
4/4/2022 - New Vendors added, waiting for quotes
2/14/2022 - Novelties adjusted to better fit GMK spacing requirements
2/13/2022 - IC Post
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2022, 19:14:18 by imivanh »

Offline matthewdias

Re: [IC] GMK Yütousu
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 19:56:17 »
very nice. the accents seem pretty important to this set, would you consider adding a 1u r2 accent escape or novelty, and changing the 1.5 enter to accent color, so 40s can get the proper theme too?

Offline sofalofa42069

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 20:58:11 »
 love the colours on this :) and the novelties are super cute. glwic!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 20:59:42 »
renders are color matched to what the IRL chips look like using my color calibrated monitor

is there color library option ?
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 21:46:08 »
I really like the colors on this, and novelties are cute, GLWIC.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Botty212

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 01:55:28 »
Im in just because I like the pastry.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 04:29:33 »
Nice novelties kit, my only gripe is that the ANSI enter hanzi writings novelty (which is a trend that I see excessively used by other sets nowadays ^-^) font style kind of doesn't match/align with your cute images /drawings on all other keys.
Was just thinking if you use different hanzi font for 芋頭酥 to match the other graphic novelties' style, it might look better?
However, if you still insist on using them, please fix the alignment because my OCD sees uneven/weird gaps on the sides of the 頭 character.

Please also consider adding accent-color R2 1u novelty (at least one), since you offer minimal 40s support on your base kit already. I'm sure 40s layout user will appreciate that  :thumb:

Cheers, GLWIC

Offline fwoggit

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 05:35:24 »
I'm in! IC filled out too :)

Offline kylekwong1

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 19:25:30 »
Overall nicely done.
Taiwanese pastry matches with zhuyin sublegend.
The color also gives the impression of taro.

Kitting looks fine, but you might want to move numpad to its own kit to make base kit price more competitive.
The only things I don't like now are the nov enters. Characters on enter usually makes me feel like it is just a placeholder of some sort. But the rest of the novs are cute.

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 21:24:57 »
very nice. the accents seem pretty important to this set, would you consider adding a 1u r2 accent escape or novelty, and changing the 1.5 enter to accent color, so 40s can get the proper theme too?

definitely will consider doing a 1u r2 accent escape, let me know in the IC form. As for changing the enter, people typically complain being forced into an accent enter, even if it's thematically important. if enough people want it ill change it but likely not going to happen.

Nice novelties kit, my only gripe is that the ANSI enter hanzi writings novelty (which is a trend that I see excessively used by other sets nowadays ^-^) font style kind of doesn't match/align with your cute images /drawings on all other keys.
Was just thinking if you use different hanzi font for 芋頭酥 to match the other graphic novelties' style, it might look better?
However, if you still insist on using them, please fix the alignment because my OCD sees uneven/weird gaps on the sides of the 頭 character.

Please also consider adding accent-color R2 1u novelty (at least one), since you offer minimal 40s support on your base kit already. I'm sure 40s layout user will appreciate that  :thumb:

Cheers, GLWIC

The idea behind the writing novelty enter was to make it look like how it's usually written/printed on the packaging that yutousu comes in. I can see where you're coming from though and I'll play around with other ideas before submitting for quotes

Overall nicely done.
Taiwanese pastry matches with zhuyin sublegend.
The color also gives the impression of taro.

Kitting looks fine, but you might want to move numpad to its own kit to make base kit price more competitive.
The only things I don't like now are the nov enters. Characters on enter usually makes me feel like it is just a placeholder of some sort. But the rest of the novs are cute.

The idea behind the writing novelty enter was to make it look like how it's usually written/printed on the packaging that yutousu comes in, which is why I opted to go that direction with the enter nov.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 21:49:39 »
Nice unique + original color scheme, glwic. Rare to come across, and quite accurate too!

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 18:05:59 »
Nice unique + original color scheme, glwic. Rare to come across, and quite accurate too!

Thank you! Appreciate the kind words

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 20:56:06 »
How white are the alphas? Like pure white or do they have a tint of color to them?

I kinda burned myself with the Infinikey Port caps. I assumed the alphas were a pure white and would look good on my white case but the alphas had a tint of an almost red/green to them I didnt realize and it looked really bad on a pure white/blue white case.

Otherwise these are similar to Port but softer and I love that.

Offline max.clacks

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 01:24:13 »
How white are the alphas? Like pure white or do they have a tint of color to them?

I kinda burned myself with the Infinikey Port caps. I assumed the alphas were a pure white and would look good on my white case but the alphas had a tint of an almost red/green to them I didnt realize and it looked really bad on a pure white/blue white case.

If you expand the "Colors" section, you'll see that he lists the Pantone for the alphas: Pantone 663 U. It looks like there is a tint of color and not just pure white.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 07:16:17 »
good gl  :thumb:

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 08:22:24 »
I think the R4 novs need work. They're bland and don't match the cuteness of the R1 novs or the Enter nov.

Also GMK lol. See you in 2058

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:35:46 »

The white has a purple tint to them

Offline YXXX

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 20:15:25 »
Very nice, looking forward to this one!

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
Re: [IC] GMK Yütousu | Vendors Updated, Submitted for Quotes
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 12:36:58 »
Update:

Set has already been submitted for quotes and I've already gotten some feedback back. They just told me GMK doesn't match to uncoated pantones anymore, so I will need to go back to the drawing board and find an equivalent RAL/Coated Pantone, and adjust the renders accordingly. Shouldn't be any drastic color change, but I just have to go through my RAL and Coated Pantone book to find something that looks as close to what I originally wanted.

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
Re: [IC] GMK Yütousu | Waiting for Quotes
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 21:14:14 »
Update:

One of the original novelties needed to be changed since it got rejected by GMK, and the other novelties got some small adjustments to better fit the guidelines. The changes have been submitted and approved by GMK, so we're just waiting on quotes to come in now. Renders have been updated to reflect the changes.

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
Re: [IC] GMK Yütousu | Pricing is out!
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 15:51:55 »
Pricing is out for the set! We'll be setting group buy date soon!

Base: $130

Latin Alphas: $79

Novelties: $45

Spacebar: $27

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
Group Buy Tentative for July 18th - Aug 19th, 2022. HIBI Collab is also ready, check out the renders!

Offline ocean.setups

Re: [IC] GMK Yütousu | Pricing, HIBI Collab, Tentative GB Date 7/18/22
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 June 2022, 11:34:49 »
Lovely keycaps ;-)

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC

Offline bshendy

Re: [IC] GMK Yütousu | GB July 18th - Aug 19th, 2022
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 15:48:35 »
Cool keycaps. Just a recommendation (that is my personal preference), which would be to make the base kit latin alphas, so that people who want latin alphas don't have to pay more for less. Swapping sublegends to the alternate alphas set would give leeway into being able to uv print sublegends with a different color to make it pop more if that's a route you want to go down.

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 11:45:01 »
Cool keycaps. Just a recommendation (that is my personal preference), which would be to make the base kit latin alphas, so that people who want latin alphas don't have to pay more for less. Swapping sublegends to the alternate alphas set would give leeway into being able to uv print sublegends with a different color to make it pop more if that's a route you want to go down.

thanks for the feedback! unfotunately this is already set in stone, and can no longer be changed.

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 12:51:47 »

thanks for the feedback! unfotunately this is already set in stone, and can no longer be changed.

A shame, latin alpha kits have historically not done so well in the past, so hoping the group buy numbers are strong

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 11 July 2022, 09:25:19 »

A shame, latin alpha kits have historically not done so well in the past, so hoping the group buy numbers are strong

yeah I hope they do strong enough. unfortunate in general GB numbers have been weaker, so hopefully we make it

Offline imivanh

• The Right PC
Re: [IC] GMK Yütousu | GB is Live until Aug 19th!
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 19:14:35 »
Group Buy is live! Check out the thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=117813.0