Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 222744 times)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #500 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 17:12:48 »
Picked this up during the Seattle meetup:
Show Image

first thought:
Show Image

Hahahahaha, what a great name! Once you have freshly roasted coffee, anything else just starts tasting mediocre.
Did they grind it for you, or do you have a grinder at home?
How do you brew your coffee?

I have my own grinder. Have to grind it fresh right before brewing for maximum flavor. For brewing I just have a Capresso MG600 Plus, nothing too fancy.
Hey, Capresso makes good stuff, I'm sure you get good results.  I've found that good flavor is achieved by paying close attention to detail in regards coffee/water ratio and brewing with proper water temperatures than equipment.  It's a big reason why the Aeropress is such a nice device!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #501 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 17:17:28 »
Picked this up during the Seattle meetup:
Show Image

first thought:
Show Image

Hahahahaha, what a great name! Once you have freshly roasted coffee, anything else just starts tasting mediocre.
Did they grind it for you, or do you have a grinder at home?
How do you brew your coffee?

I have my own grinder. Have to grind it fresh right before brewing for maximum flavor. For brewing I just have a Capresso MG600 Plus, nothing too fancy.
Hey, Capresso makes good stuff, I'm sure you get good results.  I've found that good flavor is achieved by paying close attention to detail in regards coffee/water ratio and brewing with proper water temperatures than equipment.  It's a big reason why the Aeropress is such a nice device!

Yeah, those look nice for a relaxing weekend cup. I really need the auto-brew function though for early days you need your coffee hot and ready after rolling out of bed at 5am. All that manual labor in the morning, and before my coffee! Practically a death sentence :))

Offline Lanx

« Reply #502 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 13:45:22 »
just got my hario slim, man this thing is rocking on spices, the crank is much better than my skerton. (but i've since modded it for drill use)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #503 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 16:57:04 »
Hey guys, I only read the first and last pages - is the coffee exchange list thing still going? Anyone from UK on there to make it worth my while?
I have a Mahlkonig Vario grinder and Gaggia Classic espresso machine, which I use to make the most amazing espresso shots! Occasionally I might make a cappa too, if a friend or neighbour pops over for a coffee.
I'm gradually getting the hang of drinking some of the brighter more acidic coffees as espresso shots, but still like a good old fashioned dark roast from time to time.
In the grinder right now is AllPress' Gachenge Peaberry.

cheers!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #504 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 08:46:47 »
In my experience, the coffee exchange was never a wide spread organized thing. But I'm always interested in trading coffee :).

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #505 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 14:00:22 »
so how do I know where to send coffee?
Who's in the UK on this list?
Have there been any transatlantic sendingses? Any problems with fees / delays?
(fresh coffee turns to stale coffee quickly)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #506 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 16:51:27 »
What list? There's never really been a solid list. The title is pretty misleading tbh. If you'd like to trade with someone in the UK, just ask in a post straight up.

I've never sent coffee overseas but I've had issues with UK Mail losing or not delivering my packages.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #507 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:02:30 »
What list? There's never really been a solid list. The title is pretty misleading tbh. If you'd like to trade with someone in the UK, just ask in a post straight up.
There's a link to a spreadsheet in the first post of this thread.

OK, does anyone in the UK want to trade coffee with me?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #508 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:04:00 »
You can tell by my previous post how popular that listing was lol. I honestly forgot about it and I've just conducted trades of coffee through PMs. Apologies for that.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #509 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:12:07 »
You can tell by my previous post how popular that listing was lol. I honestly forgot about it and I've just conducted trades of coffee through PMs. Apologies for that.

Don't hate on my list :(

P.S. Chemex.....
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #510 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:24:42 »
I wish I knew how to do all this. I bought some coffee for our cafetiere from work. It's nothing special. Was like £4 for the bag. It says on the back of the bag to put 2-3 teaspoons in per cup into the cafetiere. However, for it not to taste like coffee flavoured hot water, I have to put in like double that.

Any help for this newbie? I'd really like to get into this. I'm always lingering this thread but daren't ask in case I'm just being ignorant and missed a post which explains or something.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #511 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:34:02 »
I kinda got into it when I noticed that certain coffees I'd bought in coffee shops would taste better than others. And in general, I've found that storebought prepackaged preground coffees sit around forever and taste funky since they haven't been fresh for ages. And they've got chemicals in them to help them last that long. So when I wanted to branch out, I found that the most important thing was finding a local roaster. Fresh beans or even fresh preground coffee tastes so much better to me.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same exact thing I did the first time but buy an aeropress a lot sooner. I have a cheapo blade grinder from Target, a Bodom French Press, and an Aeropress.

I *really* love french press coffee. If you're not sure, find a local coffee place that makes it and try it for yourself. Maybe they've got pourovers and other types of coffee preparations. Try all those. And try out different coffees. See what you do and don't like. When you kind of dial in what you do and don't like in terms of preparations and beans, then invest in some gear. You don't have to go all out. My budget was $30-40 for gear. The grinder I paid $10. My press was $20.

I also highly suggest reading some of the stuff on Serious Eats about coffee. I read SeriousEats religiously and even though they're not specifically geared towards coffee, I think it's a good starting point. Especially the "Coffee Science" posts on the French Press and Pourover.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:37:55 by CPTBadAss »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #512 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 18:01:39 »

I wish I knew how to do all this. I bought some coffee for our cafetiere from work. It's nothing special. Was like £4 for the bag. It says on the back of the bag to put 2-3 teaspoons in per cup into the cafetiere. However, for it not to taste like coffee flavoured hot water, I have to put in like double that.

Any help for this newbie? I'd really like to get into this. I'm always lingering this thread but daren't ask in case I'm just being ignorant and missed a post which explains or something.

Well, for one thing use 2 tablespoons of coffee for every 6-8 fl. oz of water.

And what the Capt'n said.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #513 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 08:44:20 »
I find with cafetiere / French press that it's easier to just eyeball it by covering the base of the pot with coarse ground coffee between 1cm and 1 inch deep.

Disclaimer - this might suck if you have an odd-shaped pot, as it depends on the ratio of height to diameter.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #514 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 12:55:53 »
I kinda got into it when I noticed that certain coffees I'd bought in coffee shops would taste better than others. And in general, I've found that storebought prepackaged preground coffees sit around forever and taste funky since they haven't been fresh for ages. And they've got chemicals in them to help them last that long. So when I wanted to branch out, I found that the most important thing was finding a local roaster. Fresh beans or even fresh preground coffee tastes so much better to me.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same exact thing I did the first time but buy an aeropress a lot sooner. I have a cheapo blade grinder from Target, a Bodom French Press, and an Aeropress.

I *really* love french press coffee. If you're not sure, find a local coffee place that makes it and try it for yourself. Maybe they've got pourovers and other types of coffee preparations. Try all those. And try out different coffees. See what you do and don't like. When you kind of dial in what you do and don't like in terms of preparations and beans, then invest in some gear. You don't have to go all out. My budget was $30-40 for gear. The grinder I paid $10. My press was $20.

I also highly suggest reading some of the stuff on Serious Eats about coffee. I read SeriousEats religiously and even though they're not specifically geared towards coffee, I think it's a good starting point. Especially the "Coffee Science" posts on the French Press and Pourover.

This. This. This. Very similar to my experience. In simple terms:
-Find local roaster for maximum freshness (watch out for mediocre roasters that may burn the darker roasts)
-Grind your coffee as close to the brewing moment as you can.
-Don't use boiling temperature water. Experiment with anything below that depending on the roast type.
-Get an Aeropress, it's a nice way to experiment with single cups, it delivers good coffee if you follow this tips. You will get better French press coffee after knowing how to match water temp with brew.
-Enjoy

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #515 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 11:22:54 »

Today is a good day.  Love my waifu...

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline calavera

« Reply #516 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 00:29:12 »
Do anyone reuse the same ground coffee for a second pot? Just did it for the first time and the taste is different. Not sure if that's a good thing or not lol

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #517 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 03:13:34 »
If anyone in Australia wants to trade some beans, please shoot me a PM.  I have a roaster around the corner from my place that does some good stuff.
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #518 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 07:00:55 »

Do anyone reuse the same ground coffee for a second pot? Just did it for the first time and the taste is different. Not sure if that's a good thing or not lol

Oh god no. Please don't do that!  Just drink hot water before you do that!
I'm back.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #519 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 11:38:50 »

I just cried a little...

Offline calavera

« Reply #520 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 01:27:23 »
Well, I did it by accident thinking I had fresh ground beans in there.

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #521 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 22:04:11 »
Hey all!! I will be roasting some coffee this summer (read in like a week) and am looking for guinea pigs people to try it out with me

Who wants to put their life in my hands try some??
Ayy Lmao

WTB/T: Dollys, Conspires, Ribbits, anything purple, coffee gear

WTS/T: Longboarding gear

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #522 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 22:05:15 »
also, new here so this will be a fun way to meet people :)
Ayy Lmao

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #523 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 22:08:55 »
Hey all!! I will be roasting some coffee this summer (read in like a week) and am looking for guinea pigs people to try it out with me

I'm *very* interested. Welcome to Geekhack as well :)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #524 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 22:09:32 »

Sign me up! I would love to try some!!!  ;D ;D
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #525 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 22:15:50 »
I have some green beans in the basement, when I get back downstate I'll hit you all up with the options!

All I would ask is you cover shipping and tell me what you think
Ayy Lmao

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #526 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 23:10:15 »

I have some green beans in the basement, when I get back downstate I'll hit you all up with the options!

All I would ask is you cover shipping and tell me what you think

Count me in too!
I'm back.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #527 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 10:06:49 »

I'd like to lay my life on the line try your beans.

Basement guinea pigs...Mmmmmmm :p
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

« Reply #528 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 13:42:29 »

I just cried a little...

Recite 20 Hail Marys on your bean rosary  :mad:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #529 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:17:57 »

I'd love to try some :3

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #530 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:31:21 »
Cool, I think im gonna cut it off at you five, I gotta find my list of beans real quick but do you guys want espresso or normal? I have a couple options of each
Ayy Lmao

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #531 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:39:09 »

Cool, I think im gonna cut it off at you five, I gotta find my list of beans real quick but do you guys want espresso or normal? I have a couple options of each

I swing both ways. Though practically might take too long to get espresso dialed in with dose and grind, unless you're sending 2 pounds or more.
I'm back.

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #532 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:58:29 »
sounds like it will be easier to enjoy the normal coffee, I'll dig up my list let y'all know what I've got
Ayy Lmao

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #533 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:59:50 »
I'd prefer a non-espresso roast thanks :).

Offline smarmar

« Reply #534 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:38:55 »

I'm all about the espresso but will settle for gladly try the normal roast. :thumb:

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #535 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:01:56 »

Big fan of lighter roasts to taste more of the bean, but in all honesty do what's best for the bean you get.  If it's too bitter and not dynamic enough as a light roast medium is just fine with me, but I abhor the vast majority of dark roasts.

Gotta rant a bit... Espresso roasting is an art, not a specific type of roast.

Espresso potential is maximized in roasting when you maximize the sweetness and aroma of the coffee while minimizing the bitterness and acidity.  Most people focus on the latter and therefore roast extremely dark, yet without sweetness and aroma the espresso will never be palatable.  This explains the unpopularity of straight espresso and the popularity of espresso based drinks where either milk or other flavors are used to replace the sweetness that was lost by roasting darkly.

source: http://www.coffeeresearch.org/espresso/roasting.htm

It's a signature roast meant to bring out the best in the bean you buy for use in espresso beverages.  Personally I dislike the term being used for roasting.  It's not a specific roast... espresso 'roast' is usually just burnt to **** because very few people have the equipment/knowhow to make a roast which works better than their normal roasts for use in espresso machines.  Most coffee shops that make fantastic coffee don't coin any of their house roasts as espresso roast because they roast the bean to give it the best flavor.  In effect as long as you're getting the best balance between sweetness/bitterness while retaining complexity/character and it has a good aroma then you've made espresso roast, but it'll could be classified as light, medium, or dark without making it sound pretentious :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:40:36 by Binge »

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #536 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:24:25 »
Ok cool, Java Kajuma, Brazilian Ipenima and I think one or two more I can't think of
Ayy Lmao

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #537 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 13:09:57 »
Roasting coffee - there's another expensive hobby I'd like to get into. Probably cheaper than keyboards tho.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #538 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 13:14:46 »

I swing both ways. Though practically might take too long to get espresso dialed in with dose and grind, unless you're sending 2 pounds or more.

It takes you 2 pounds of coffee to dial in for espresso?
Srsly?!?!?!
I'm usually sorted after 3 or 4 shots from a new bag, less than 1/5 of a standard 250g bag o beans.
what girder are you using? Maybe I lucked out!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #539 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:42:35 »

Srsly?!?!?!
I'm usually sorted after 3 or 4 shots from a new bag, less than 1/5 of a standard 250g bag o beans.

I use a Baratza Vario grinder and a Rancilio machine. I dose and grind by taste, shooting for a 30 sec double in a naked portafilter. Grind varies with humidity and age of beans...
I'm back.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #540 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 21:07:01 »
Ok cool, Java Kajuma, Brazilian Ipenima and I think one or two more I can't think of

Do me like, the HUGEST favor and cut it off at *six*
Verified paypal standing by.

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #541 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 21:46:33 »
sure thing

I wont be able to roast till sunday/monday so, no worries on the paypal
Ayy Lmao

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #542 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 21:57:27 »

sure thing

You can do mine last, I'm out of the country for 2 weeks.
I'm back.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #543 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 21:59:19 »
sure thing

<333

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #544 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 02:04:02 »

Srsly?!?!?!

I use a Baratza Vario grinder and a Rancilio machine. I dose and grind by taste, shooting for a 30 sec double in a naked portafilter. Grind varies with humidity and age of beans...
Thats VERY similar to my setup. Biggest difference is probably the naked portafilter and the variable humidity. The humidity works against you and the portafilter is you intentionally making things harder for yourself (with good reason, I'm sure).

My Vario is branded Mahlkonig, not Baratza, because I got it here in the UK, but AFAIK it's identical to yours.
I went for the Gaggia Classic instead of the (I assume) Silvia for the faster startup time (at the cost of longer recovery time between shots)
And, I'm in London, so humidy doesn't really vary at all.
So I dial in then as the beans age I just modify my tamp pressure. I might occasionally adjust the grinder one click mid-batch if the tamp pressure is not enough to compensate.

How are you liking the bottomless portafilter? How long have you had it? How long did it take to get used to it? Would you consider going back to a standard PF after you've learned all that is learnable from the bottomless one?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #545 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 19:55:10 »

Srsly?!?!?!

Thats VERY similar to my setup. Biggest difference is probably the naked portafilter and the variable humidity. The humidity works against you and the portafilter is you intentionally making things harder for yourself (with good reason, I'm sure).

My Vario is branded Mahlkonig, not Baratza, because I got it here in the UK, but AFAIK it's identical to yours.
I went for the Gaggia Classic instead of the (I assume) Silvia for the faster startup time (at the cost of longer recovery time between shots)
And, I'm in London, so humidy doesn't really vary at all.
So I dial in then as the beans age I just modify my tamp pressure. I might occasionally adjust the grinder one click mid-batch if the tamp pressure is not enough to compensate.

How are you liking the bottomless portafilter? How long have you had it? How long did it take to get used to it? Would you consider going back to a standard PF after you've learned all that is learnable from the bottomless one?

Yep Silvia. Love that girl.  I prime her every night and then she awakes every morning on a timer. Ready to serve me.

I've always heard good things about Mahlkonig, but they don't have a huge following in the US afaik.

I like the bottomless. It does indeed make you hone your skills, especially dosing and tamping. Once I'm consistent to my liking, I have a nice heavy La Marzocco portafilter I modified for my machine that I'll move to.
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #546 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 06:57:20 »
Ahhh, having a macchiato on the banks of the Amazon river. Heading into the jungle today (neither the pic nor the espresso turned out all that great).

I'm back.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #547 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 06:58:53 »
Find us the fountain of you..

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #548 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 07:09:51 »

Find us the fountain of [youth]

I did!  The fountain of youth is there in the picture.

Essssspppprrreeesssoooo!!
I'm back.

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #549 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 10:40:45 »

Find us the fountain of [youth]

Ain't that the truth!!

I did!  The fountain of youth is there in the picture.

Essssspppprrreeesssoooo!!
Ayy Lmao