Author Topic: [GB] "Hack'd by Geeks" Keyset - Full Contour SA (Shipping Corrections)  (Read 326432 times)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Re: [GB] "Hack'd by Geeks" Keyset - Full Contour SA (Production)
« Reply #800 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 17:54:08 »
I just received my set. Looks great! However, it seems as if the right shift key's stem has an issue. The shift key is slightly tilted in the plane of the keyboard, about -2 degrees tilt. Small but enough for me to notice. Possibly a manufacturing defect?

hey sir

sorry to hear that, if you could please take some pics of the issue and pm them to me, i dont have a set o nhand yet but ill get cody to compare it for me to what he has, if its a single key fault ill get it replaced for you, if its a more widespread issue ill speak to sp and see what can be done

It's no problem. I'll send a pic when I can. Hopefully if anyone else notices this issue they can make a note here too.

just occured to me to mention that the shifts are r3 and the rest of the keys on that row are r4, im assuming you know that and it isnt the issue, but just throwing it out there as something so you can check it against the other shift

The profile is fine. This is what I mean:

Show Image

And here's the whole ANSI set on my Novatouch:

Show Image

thats so odd, it looks like its lifting off the stab

is the fit snug?

and does the underside look uniform
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #801 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 17:58:59 »
If it's costar, and since it looks like a Varmilo it probably is, I would guess it's a mis-inserted stab-insert, one stab-insert inserted the other way around, but it's probably something else, and mine is just a basic guess
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #802 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:26:21 »
I had a suspicion that it could be due to SP's SA molds causing the misaligned stem, so I grabbed the long shift from my other SA sets (Pulse and Calm Depths) and compared them on my Novatouch and Royal Kludge. It seems my suspicions may be correct. See for yourself:

Left column is Novatouch, Middle Column is Royal Kludge, Top Right is Royal Kludge with stock shift keycap.

Unfortunately I don't have any other MX-compatible keyboards to do more comparisons. Anyone else with multiple SA keysets can test out and compare the long shift keys to see if it's not just me and my keyboards.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #803 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:30:36 »
That's such an extremity, I've noticed that people just don't pay much attention to keycap alignments / mis-aligned switches/keycaps etc. But obviously the pictures you posted are extreme and very hard not to notice

Very curious what the result is going to be
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #804 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:33:05 »

I had a suspicion that it could be due to SP's SA molds causing the misaligned stem, so I grabbed the long shift from my other SA sets (Pulse and Calm Depths) and compared them on my Novatouch and Royal Kludge. It seems my suspicions may be correct. See for yourself:

Show Image

Left column is Novatouch, Middle Column is Royal Kludge, Top Right is Royal Kludge with stock shift keycap.

Unfortunately I don't have any other MX-compatible keyboards to do more comparisons. Anyone else with multiple SA keysets can test out and compare the long shift keys to see if it's not just me and my keyboards.

So strange

Interesting find.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #805 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:37:16 »
That's such an extremity, I've noticed that people just don't pay much attention to keycap alignments / mis-aligned switches/keycaps etc. But obviously the pictures you posted are extreme and very hard not to notice

It's only quite noticeable if one looks closely at near top-down angle. I only noticed it because I happened to put just the Enter and Shift key on first.

In any case it's a minor quirk and it doesn't detract from the SA sets as a whole.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #806 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:53:45 »

It's only quite noticeable if one looks closely at near top-down angle. I only noticed it because I happened to put just the Enter and Shift key on first.

In any case it's a minor quirk and it doesn't detract from the SA sets as a whole.

i only have penumbra on hand so just checked mine and it was fine

very odd

ill certainly forward this to them

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #807 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:55:16 »

Show Image

also i know this ounds odd

but have you got any non topre mx stem boards to try it on, maybe its a quirk of those boards rather than the set, cause i cant replicate it here

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #808 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:56:08 »

Could be an SP manufactured defect  :o .  Usually when they pop the key out without waiting for the ABS to fully solidify and remain structurally stable.  Maybe due to the vast orders they started ramping up ejection times from the molds so they could finish the job quicker.  Seen this type of defect before at a factory in Sydney when they made up for lost time by just throwing out the pieces quickly into a collection bin and before you knew it hundreds of pieces had been deformed in some way.

Get Melissa to speak with the Q/A supervisor to rectify it, by re-making the keys again with stable curing times for each piece.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:59:04 by Elrick »

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #809 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:58:55 »

Show Image

also i know this ounds odd

but have you got any non topre mx stem boards to try it on, maybe its a quirk of those boards rather than the set, cause i cant replicate it here

Yeah that's the thing. I don't have any MX boards on me. I'm hoping someone else who receives their Hack'd set can verify.

What Elrick said is a possibility. The right shift key is very long so maybe there's a problem with the manufacturing process.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #810 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:07:31 »
Could be an SP manufactured defect  :o .  Usually when they pop the key out without waiting for the ABS to fully solidify and remain structurally stable.  Maybe due to the vast orders they started ramping up ejection times from the molds so they could finish the job quicker.  Seen this type of defect before at a factory in Sydney when they made up for lost time by just throwing out the pieces quickly into a collection bin and before you knew it hundreds of pieces had been deformed in some way.

Get Melissa to speak with the Q/A supervisor to rectify it, by re-making the keys again with stable curing times for each piece.

I also have the same impression, happens with 3d-printing a lot too, whatever the plastic type is, if you rush to remove the piece, it definitely gets warped if it's not entirely cold

Yet, they have been molding keys for quite some time, they obviously experienced these issues at extreme levels with the Dolch spacebars etc. so it's extremely illogical for them to re-make the mistake, since they mold plastic for years, one would expect the end result to be perfected 10's of years ago
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:17:31 by KHAANNN »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #811 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:15:01 »
found a pic i had of calm from ages ago, which also doesnt seem to have the issue

i also found a few crap bag keys and none have the same issue

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #812 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:37:59 »
found a pic i had of calm from ages ago, which also doesnt seem to have the issue

Show Image

It's entirely possible my keyboards are the issue. I'm also thinking it might be possible that one of SP's molds have the misalignment such that only certain batches of SA sets have this problem, and I just happened to have sets all made from that mold. Whether other people have this issue with their sets will determine if it's just me or SP.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #813 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:43:56 »

Show Image

It's entirely possible my keyboards are the issue. I'm also thinking it might be possible that one of SP's molds have the misalignment such that only certain batches of SA sets have this problem, and I just happened to have sets all made from that mold. Whether other people have this issue with their sets will determine if it's just me or SP.

once again, sorry about that, it does seem mighty strange all round, i guess we will find out shortly as these start rolling in

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #814 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 20:48:02 »

Show Image

Probably just some gnomes that come into your house at night and mess stuff up for the sheer fun of it  :p

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #815 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 20:57:30 »

Show Image

Probably just some gnomes that come into your house at night and mess stuff up for the sheer fun of it  :p

Damn gnomes messing with my keyboard stuff. Is nothing sacred?

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #816 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 21:18:02 »

Show Image

Damn they always hide my undies and socks.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #817 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 21:25:19 »

Show Image

Damn they always hide my undies and socks.

1. Collect underpants
2. ???
3. Profit

Offline Data

« Reply #818 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 21:46:44 »

Show Image

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I checked my Varmilo TKL with Pulse installed and it does show a slight angle on the right Shift but not nearly as extreme as in your photo.  Could be a combination of SP's manufacturing tolerance AND something in your board(s) conspiring to mess up that key.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #819 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 21:49:49 »

Show Image

Probably just some gnomes that come into your house at night and mess stuff up for the sheer fun of it 

Have you checked any other keys in that position? Not that they will fit perfectly, but you could see if the others are offset as well. That way you know if it is the key or the stem on the board.

Offline tom.smykowski

« Reply #820 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 22:27:43 »
BunnyLake - I purchased one of the extra sets you had. I'm all paid up. Am I also part of this batch shipping? Super excited

sorry guys, havent been around all day and im a bit backed up on pms

about 70% of this has shipped, and has already been dropped to the post office

the remainder of the orders made on the site are being packed and shipped now and should all be completed tonight, and pm orders will follow shortly after

the above post should answer the question adequately enough, however cody didnt get to finish the other 30% last night in the end

so as with the posts i made a few above, thatll either happen tonight or this weekend

Thanks Bunnylake!

Offline luckynet

« Reply #821 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 23:10:10 »
still possible to order??
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #822 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 23:44:50 »
Have you checked any other keys in that position? Not that they will fit perfectly, but you could see if the others are offset as well. That way you know if it is the key or the stem on the board.

That's a good idea, not sure why I didn't think of that. I just tested out the left shift and enter on the right shift position and they seemed fine. I then tried putting the right shift keycap on the spacebar position, and the skew is still apparent. So this confirms that it's the shift keycap's stem that's the issue, not the keyboard.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #823 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 01:21:17 »

That's a good idea, not sure why I didn't think of that. I just tested out the left shift and enter on the right shift position and they seemed fine. I then tried putting the right shift keycap on the spacebar position, and the skew is still apparent. So this confirms that it's the shift keycap's stem that's the issue, not the keyboard.

Interesting. So the stem itself is rotated, not the stabs. I doubt the mold is the problem, but it is strange that you have 2 nearly identical misprints. Maybe the cooling/setting process is the culprit of random deformation...

Offline zah

« Reply #824 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 09:54:30 »

Interesting. So the stem itself is rotated, not the stabs. I doubt the mold is the problem, but it is strange that you have 2 nearly identical misprints. Maybe the cooling/setting process is the culprit of random deformation...

dont think its just him. also noticed the right shift while i was putting keys on but didn't think much of it

edit: mine was also on a novatouch

however, I am missing a row 1 "1" key and have an extra row 1 "0" key

otherwise, set looks great  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2015, 10:07:46 by zah »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #825 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 10:01:18 »

dont think its just him. also noticed the right shift while i was putting keys on but didn't think much of it

Show Image

however, I am missing a row 1 "1" key and have an extra row 1 "0" key

otherwise, set looks great  :thumb:

thanks very much sir, ill get that replacement key sorted for you, and forward this shift info on to sp and see if they will replace them for us

sp are normally good at rectifying issues for us, although with the guy who found it first, he seemed to have the issue with every SA set some maybe its just a mould issue, either way ill get on to them and see what they can do
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2015, 10:12:56 by BunnyLake »

Offline SL89

« Reply #826 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 10:12:38 »
did all the shipping notifications go out for PM sales?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #827 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 10:14:32 »

no

as with the update above

30% left to go out

cody says he is going to the office tonight to finish it off

if the handful of people with an order via pm can confirm there shipping details via pm to me, that would help me out

Offline SL89

« Reply #828 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 10:25:32 »
no rush, sorry for asking again, im on mobile and totally missed the update  :-[

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #829 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 10:42:25 »
no rush, sorry for asking again, im on mobile and totally missed the update  :-[

totally understandable sir, i get equally excitable about this stuff, trust me when i say i bother cody about my stuff as well

Offline neverused

« Reply #830 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 13:47:27 »
Just got a notification that my at has arrived... 45 minutes away at my office.

Looks like I won't be seeing these beauties until Monday.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #831 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 14:44:27 »
Arrived at the shipito warehouse, saw the package, won't be able to see them for probably weeks :)

Honestly, it's a bit selfish but, I'm glad I will be using a 1.75 key instead of the 2.75 shift, I wouldn't be able to handle the crooked keycap

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #832 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 15:47:13 »
Just got my caps today! Loving them! Didn't get to put them on my board yet though. Slight issues with the numpad 3 key and the left shift. Otherwise though all caps are here.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #833 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 15:55:10 »
Just got my caps today! Loving them! Didn't get to put them on my board yet though. Slight issues with the numpad 3 key and the left shift. Otherwise though all caps are here.

seems like sp didnt do enough qc this time, pm me the issues ill get em sorted

Offline techmattr

« Reply #834 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 16:21:24 »
I just checked Calm Depths, PuLSE, Nuclear Data and Hack'd by Geeks and all of mine have a titled right shift. It's extremely bad on the Novatouch but barely noticeable on Cherry stabs. I'm also missing a .> key and have an extra ,< key. Anyone have an extra .> and missing a ,<? I also possibly have two extra arrow keys? A down and a right.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #835 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 16:36:18 »
I also possibly have two extra arrow keys? A down and a right.
The arrows are good but you have them both upside-down - one's a backspace and the other is a different row up arrow as it's more comfortable (try it and you'll agree :) )

p.s that USB cable is perfect - where's it from?!
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2015, 16:38:21 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #836 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 16:54:24 »
The arrows are good but you have them both upside-down - one's a backspace and the other is a different row up arrow as it's more comfortable (try it and you'll agree :) )

Connecting the dots, he makes the cables himself

I'm going to receive the set in 2-3 weeks, it will go through relatively a painful import process, these issues really demotivate me, If I have a missing key, it would probably delay my setup ~2 weeks more

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #837 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 17:07:26 »
I just checked Calm Depths, PuLSE, Nuclear Data and Hack'd by Geeks and all of mine have a titled right shift. It's extremely bad on the Novatouch but barely noticeable on Cherry stabs. I'm also missing a .> key and have an extra ,< key. Anyone have an extra .> and missing a ,<? I also possibly have two extra arrow keys? A down and a right.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

sorry about that, sp sort the sets, ill get that key replaced for you

ps, that top pic looks sensational
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2015, 17:11:21 by BunnyLake »

Offline techmattr

« Reply #838 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 17:19:42 »

Hah! Totally forgot about the 1u backspace. Threw me off since it's the same row as the arrow. Thanks!
Yeah I made the cable. I have three colors I planned on using for Hack'd:
More
More
More

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks! Should I send the extra ,< to Cody?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #839 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 17:22:31 »

Hah! Totally forgot about the 1u backspace. Threw me off since it's the same row as the arrow. Thanks!
Yeah I made the cable. I have three colors I planned on using for Hack'd:
More
Show Image
More
Show Image
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks! Should I send the extra ,< to Cody?

nah all good sir dont worry about, but if anyone is missing some arrows i may drop you a line

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #840 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 17:25:43 »
Got mine today -- they look awesome on the Novatouch! Thanks, BunnyLake and Cody!

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #841 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 17:28:45 »
Got mine today -- they look awesome on the Novatouch! Thanks, BunnyLake and Cody!

great to hear sir

hope you enjoy

Offline deci

« Reply #842 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:13:02 »
Got mine as well.

The colors and font couldn't look better!  :thumb:

Thanks for a great \set Bunny!

*I can confirm having the same issues as everyone else on the right long shift key being crooked on Novatouch.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #843 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:24:34 »
Got mine as well.

The colors and font couldn't look better!  :thumb:

Thanks for a great \set Bunny!

*I can confirm having the same issues as everyone else on the right long shift key being crooked on Novatouch.

great to hear sir, glad you like it

its a real shame about this crooked shift issue, ill be compiling some pics and stuff this weekend and emailing sp on monday to see what if anything can be done about it

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #844 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:27:17 »
thanks to everyone who pm'd me their pm order details

cody is leaving to get to the office now, to conclude the site orders and work through the pm orders

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #845 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:33:06 »
On another note are the F and J keys meant to be deep dish? Mine are not but I can't remember if they are supposed to be.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #846 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:36:03 »
On another note are the F and J keys meant to be deep dish? Mine are not but I can't remember if they are supposed to be.

The mockup on CTRLALT would lead me to believe they are supposed to be deep dish. Can anyone confirm? Is there a chance that it is very sleight?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #847 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:36:38 »

The mockup on CTRLALT would lead me to believe they are supposed to be deep dish. Can anyone confirm? Is there a chance that it is very sleight?

they are supposed to be

and we confirmed it with sp, so if they arent, sp will replace those for us free of charge

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #848 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:38:11 »
I'm glad this F/J issue occurred, if it's indeed the case, hate deep dishes, didn't pay attention in the first place :)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #849 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:39:28 »
I'm glad this F/J issue occurred, if it's indeed the case, hate deep dishes, didn't pay attention in the first place :)

they did this to us once before on penumbra as well

glad it worked otu for you but many people need them

so ill get sp to knock em out right away