Author Topic: Anything to do with this board?  (Read 4092 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Anything to do with this board?
« on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 14:02:14 »
Is there anything I can do with this board, or is it forever destined to be looker? I have two, so I'm not afraid to mess up one, also interested in getting those numbers to light up.
http://imgur.com/a/8Ns14
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 18:31:45 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Anything to do with this board?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:54:11 »
nothing?

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:26:23 »
you can direct wire those reeds to a teensy controller.

You can also drive the 7+1 segment displays with it. They act like normal LEDs but have a common cathode (or sometimes anode).

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 01:28:26 »
you can direct wire those reeds to a teensy controller.

You can also drive the 7+1 segment displays with it. They act like normal LEDs but have a common cathode (or sometimes anode).
Any guide on how to do that? I've seen a few, but I'm totally clueless on this sort of thing, and these switches instead of having two contacts only have one

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 01:29:47 »
It's pretty easy,

Just wire them up with either wire (2kro) or diodes (nkro) in a matrix.

connect the matrix rows & columns to pins on teensy.
Load up soarer's firmware and come up with a layout
call it a day.

direct wire:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/brownfox-step-by-step-t6050.html
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20898.msg396927#msg396927

Firmware:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50437.msg1100589#msg1100589

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 01:44:58 »
Alright, that should help, thanks :thumb:
The problem is, these switches seem to be soldered oddly:
http://imgur.com/vm6Hhe7
The switches are grouped into columns of four. Each switch has a single contact, except for the ones at the end, which have two

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 13:13:29 »
hmm that is weird.

Here's what I'm almost positive they are doing:
one pin on the end is shared with all the others, and the second end of the reed is the single soldered one you see under each switch.

So you get sort-of and odd matrix, and possibly only 1kro down each of those switch blocks. I can come up with a diagram on how to wire it up when I get home tomorrow.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 13:49:00 »
hmm that is weird.

one pin on the end is shared with all the others, and the second end of the reed is the single soldered one you see under each switch.

So you get sort-of and odd matrix, and possibly only 1kro down each of those switch blocks. I can come up with a diagram on how to wire it up when I get home tomorrow.
Much appreciated :thumb:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 13:54:24 »
hmm that is weird.

Y, that's kind of my take on it. The switches are actually physical columns, so I would guess one contact at the bottom would be "common" to all in the column and the other one of the pair and the single ones of the other switches in the column make contact with the common line when the switches are pressed. You can check this pretty easily with a multimeter / continuity meter.

Actually 1KRO per column kind of makes sense if you use it in the correct orientation. You're not likely to press more than one key with the same finger on purpose and most people wouldn't use 2 fingers for a column.

If the switches feel nice, then by all means wire them up to a Teensy and make a nice little custom numpad. It would be quite unique :) You can probably desolder the columns and glue them to each other so you don't need to make a plate or anything. Just some kind of housing to protect the contacts and the wiring and mount the Teensy. That's what I'd do. You could also use a few of the 7 segment displays mounted in the case and program the Teensy to display cool stuff when you press each key, something like the Predator's arm display. Or the boring version is to display the actual character pressed.

Another option is to code the algorithms for actual calculation into the Teensy, so as long as it has power it will function as a (rather limited) calculator. Lots of cool options.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 14:02:34 »
hmm that is weird.

Y, that's kind of my take on it. The switches are actually physical columns, so I would guess one contact at the bottom would be "common" to all in the column and the other one of the pair and the single ones of the other switches in the column make contact with the common line when the switches are pressed. You can check this pretty easily with a multimeter / continuity meter.

Actually 1KRO per column kind of makes sense if you use it in the correct orientation. You're not likely to press more than one key with the same finger on purpose and most people wouldn't use 2 fingers for a column.

If the switches feel nice, then by all means wire them up to a Teensy and make a nice little custom numpad. It would be quite unique :) You can probably desolder the columns and glue them to each other so you don't need to make a plate or anything. Just some kind of housing to protect the contacts and the wiring and mount the Teensy. That's what I'd do. You could also use a few of the 7 segment displays mounted in the case and program the Teensy to display cool stuff when you press each key, something like the Predator's arm display. Or the boring version is to display the actual character pressed.

Another option is to code the algorithms for actual calculation into the Teensy, so as long as it has power it will function as a (rather limited) calculator. Lots of cool options.
Yeah, I really like the switches on these. Linear, but almost like tactile in the way that at the end the switches help you depress. And I'd really love to do something cool with the displays. Also was thinking about using the metal backplate already on there as a bottom plate

Offline gotofbi

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 22:46:16 »
Maybe useful for something else but not like custom keyboard...
non of pcb nor keycap will support.

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:30:38 »
Don't need a pcb :D Just hand wire that up and you can get it working fine. Also that sorta keycap is still in production afaik. Got a few in my crap bag

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 10:16:22 »
Don't need a pcb :D Just hand wire that up and you can get it working fine. Also that sorta keycap is still in production afaik. Got a few in my crap bag
Yeah, I found a few of those to. Unfortunately sold it though (to you lol)

Offline Enigma

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 10:21:30 »
If you really do want to pursue a nkro matrix with those switches I would suggest just breaking the tracks between switches on the PCB and handwiring them. I don't know what the board was originally or if you still want any of it's functions but using a teensy you could wire something fun up with the matrix and the 7seg displays I'm sure.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 13:00:48 »
If you really do want to pursue a nkro matrix with those switches I would suggest just breaking the tracks between switches on the PCB and handwiring them. I don't know what the board was originally or if you still want any of it's functions but using a teensy you could wire something fun up with the matrix and the 7seg displays I'm sure.
Yeah, dork said he would come up with a diagram on handwiring it, I also have to wait till I have some more $ to buy a better soldering iron

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 15:09:03 »
Any ideas on wiring?

Offline Enigma

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 15:44:54 »
I'm sure there are other ways of doing it if you take the original layout of the circuit into consideration, but this is what I would do:

• Break the tracks in between all keys with a dremel or something similar, a knife will even do it. They seem to be quite thin.
  • Assign one pin of each switch to the rows, and the other to the columns.
  • Solder a diode onto each of the row pins, with the line on the diode away from the switch, connect all of these diodes together end to end. (The picture should show you what I mean.)
  • Then connect all the column pins in each column together with any sort of insulated wire.

You can connect the ends of each row and column wire to your teensy and program it up. This is roughly the method I followed for my keyboard and it's working fine.

I might have mixed something up or been unclear but I'm sure another forum member can clarify.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 18:32:36 »
Sorry, just put in the funkyness in the OP, check the last picture

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:33:20 »
Yeah, dork said he would come up with a diagram on handwiring it, I also have to wait till I have some more $ to buy a better soldering iron

oh right, I forgot about that. We're going to salem tomorrow, so I'll see if I can come up with something with a pen on paper if that's ok.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:44:16 by dorkvader »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:41:30 »

oh right, I forgot about that. We're going to salem tomorrow, so I'll see if I can come up with something with a pen on paper if that's ok.
Anything is better than what I have :p

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:44:29 »
my pen drawing looks tully horrific, so this text explanation will have to do for now.
So think of it this way:

in a switch matrix, you have rows wired up with diodes and colums wired straight with wire, right?

In this matrix, the columns are wired straight with wire for you. I think you can just wire the rows up with diodes to 4 pins on a teensy, then wire up 4 columns to another 4 pins on said teensy and call it good. Will do some thinking on it.

You can check this yourself by looking at this page on KB matrix circuits and check if it fits (he has his wired with diodes down the columns, but you can always "rotate")
http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/one_html/

Ofcourse anyone experienced with this please chime in.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:47:58 »
my pen drawing looks tully horrific, so this text explanation will have to do for now.
So think of it this way:

in a switch matrix, you have rows wired up with diodes and colums wired straight with wire, right?

In this matrix, the columns are wired straight with wire for you. I think you can just wire the rows up with diodes to 4 pins on a teensy, then wire up 4 columns to another 4 pins on said teensy and call it good. Will do some thinking on it.

You can check this yourself by looking at this page on KB matrix circuits and check if it fits (he has his wired with diodes down the columns, but you can always "rotate")
http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/one_html/

Ofcourse anyone experienced with this please chime in.
All of this new to me, not exactly the easiest first project :p

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:27:02 »
Welp, I figured nobody else was going it so here is what I'm almost positive will work. The problem is I have no idea whats going on inside these switches but I'm assuming the four nodes on the bottom are just linked to the other side of all switches in that row.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 15:04:22 »
Welp, I figured nobody else was going it so here is what I'm almost positive will work. The problem is I have no idea whats going on inside these switches but I'm assuming the four nodes on the bottom are just linked to the other side of all switches in that row.

Show Image

Alright, thanks. I'll get started trying to work on this as soon as I can pick up a better soldering iron

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 18:42:39 »

Show Image

yeah that was what I was getting at. Your picture is much better than mine :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:09:47 »
So if dork or anyone else wants to try their hand at this, I'll send you them for the cost of shipping, granted you send one back my way, you can keep the other. I absolutely cannot desolder these things

Offline Enigma

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:29:53 »
I'd be really keen to give it a go but I have absolutely no time at the moment with tests and exams at Uni. I'll check back in here when everything calms down and if you still haven't found anything we can try and make a plan.

I'm not quite sure what could be done with them, other than coding them to display numbers on the 7seg. They could always be made into a pretty cool looking numpad if someone comes up with a nice case idea. How do the switches feel?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:47:04 »
I'd be really keen to give it a go but I have absolutely no time at the moment with tests and exams at Uni. I'll check back in here when everything calms down and if you still haven't found anything we can try and make a plan.

I'm not quite sure what could be done with them, other than coding them to display numbers on the 7seg. They could always be made into a pretty cool looking numpad if someone comes up with a nice case idea. How do the switches feel?
Pretty solid medium-stiff linear. Long presses. I was really only looking to turn this into a kinda cool but functional numpad

Offline Enigma

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 14:34:53 »
That's what I was thinking too. As I said, I'll definitely check back in when things die down a bit in about a week or so then we can make a plan if nobody else jumps on it. I'd be keen to split the cost of two Teensys and go ahead and wire them up, program and ship one back to you. The only issue is that I live in South Africa, so it would take a little while :)