Author Topic: How do I fix this keyboard? (different problem from my Deck Legend problem)  (Read 1597 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
I'm engaged in some projects that I have been putting off, so here's another problem for geekhackers while I'm awaiting someone to advise me on my Deck Legend.

Here is a keyboard that had one switch broken because of a botched repair. The switch beside also stopped functioning although it still looks the same.

Here's how it looked originally. 76940-0

I was able to desolder the broken switch and swap in a new and working switch plus new and working LED.

Unfortunately, the switch BESIDE still could not come to life.

76944-1
The switch that still isn't working is to the right of the holes after I replaced the visibly damaged switch.

I've stared at this PCB for god knows how long and can't figure it out. I did think that maybe the originally broken switch had a broken trace (you can see the exposed copper) that prevented signals flowing from the switch next to it. So I tried linking their leads using a bit of hook up wire.

It didn't work.

I thought maybe the vertical/ column connection was broken somewhere. But how do I tell the next key in the column?

How do I continue my repair efforts?

btw if anyone can tell me how to remove all the nasty black stuff it would be nice. Isopropyl alcohol doesn't seem to do any good.76942-276946-3

Also tell me if I have won any geekhack prize for being the worst solderer on this forum. It's kind of hard to do worse than me.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Re: How do I fix this keyboard? (different problem from my Deck Legend problem)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 23:08:26 »
My guess would be a bad solder joint on D89 (or a bad D89.) I doubt it's the trace since it continues to the next switch right of the non-working one. If you have a DVM you can check the diode and the traces integrity.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 07:19:53 »
My guess would be a bad solder joint on D89 (or a bad D89.) I doubt it's the trace since it continues to the next switch right of the non-working one. If you have a DVM you can check the diode and the traces integrity.

oK what do I do? (Not sure how to do this diode testing thing - am I supposed to remove the diode from the circuit first? I read online that the diode should have high resistance one way and low resistance the other way, but I don't see how I can measure it 'one way' and 'the other way' without it being in the circuit aka soldered on.)

I could always suck up the solder (looks poorly soldered) and resolder it. That looks like a simple solution. I actually did it once already, but since I have no experience with diodes, I can only say that my result was an improvement on the photos.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 08:19:26 »
oK what do I do? (Not sure how to do this diode testing thing - am I supposed to remove the diode from the circuit first? I read online that the diode should have high resistance one way and low resistance the other way, but I don't see how I can measure it 'one way' and 'the other way' without it being in the circuit aka soldered on.)

Your research is correct. You should de-solder it first and measure it with a multi-meter. The forward diode measurement should have something positive while the reverse measurement should give 0.
I like linear switches

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 10:47:21 »
Probably the easiest way to fix that is to use a through hole diode as your bridge instead of the plain wire and get rid of the likely trashed D89. All you should have to do is make sure you put the diode in correct polarity.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 17:30:07 »
Heh, on a 2nd look is seems that D89 is soldered in the wrong way round -- the adjacent switches have their diodes anodes facing them, D89 cathode faces its switch (black ringed side instead of the blank side.) Should be easy to fix.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 03:35:40 »
Heh, on a 2nd look is seems that D89 is soldered in the wrong way round -- the adjacent switches have their diodes anodes facing them, D89 cathode faces its switch (black ringed side instead of the blank side.) Should be easy to fix.

Grendel, you are totally right! I turned that diode around, and...

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Keyboard is now fully working!

THREAD CLOSED.

BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED THEIR IDEAS AND EXPERIENCE!