Author Topic: Help replacing Ducky Shine 3 LED  (Read 7995 times)

Offline BakaPhoenix

Help replacing Ducky Shine 3 LED
« on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:31:41 »
Hi, sorry if i post in the wrong section but this one looked the most fitting for this topic :S
I'm a happy user of this ducky shine 3 but unfortunatly i have 4 dead led on this keyboard and i was thinking of replacing them.
Any 3mm white led flangeless is fine? I found a seller on ebay that send 100 of them for 3.5€ including shipping and i was wondering if it was ok.
Also i have a soldering station with adjustable t emp, wich temp is ideal to de/solder the led without breaking anything?
Thanks.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: Help replacing Ducky Shine 3 LED
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:46:04 »
Hi, sorry if i post in the wrong section but this one looked the most fitting for this topic :S
I'm a happy user of this ducky shine 3 but unfortunatly i have 4 dead led on this keyboard and i was thinking of replacing them.
Any 3mm white led flangeless is fine? I found a seller on ebay that send 100 of them for 3.5€ including shipping and i was wondering if it was ok.
Also i have a soldering station with adjustable t emp, wich temp is ideal to de/solder the led without breaking anything?
Thanks.

make sure the head isn't too big. Why not go for 2x3x4mm rectangular which is a better size.

you could also save your money and I'll send you 6 leds (ie two extras) for $1 gift payment. Note that $1 is to pay for my postage. The leds are free. I'm getting help on a separate LED issue from geekhackers http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62693.0 so I feel obliged to do a good deed to give back to this community.

btw I have several colors to choose from. Why confine yourself to white leds?

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 16:07:34 »
Thanks.

make sure the head isn't too big. Why not go for 2x3x4mm rectangular which is a better size.

you could also save your money and I'll send you 6 leds (ie two extras) for $1 gift payment. Note that $1 is to pay for my postage. The leds are free. I'm getting help on a separate LED issue from geekhackers http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62693.0 so I feel obliged to do a good deed to give back to this community.

btw I have several colors to choose from. Why confine yourself to white leds?

Hi! Thanks for you offer I'm shocked for your disponibility  :eek:
Well i was thinking of taking some other led one blue and one orange for my portal keycaps XD

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 21:22:42 »
Perhaps these 4 LEDs have a common low side transistor or current controller?

Do you know that it is really the LEDs that are the problem? 

Trace out the circuit, measure voltages, and be certain about the issue before trying to fix it...

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 04:38:04 »
Perhaps these 4 LEDs have a common low side transistor or current controller?

Do you know that it is really the LEDs that are the problem? 

Trace out the circuit, measure voltages, and be certain about the issue before trying to fix it...

That is a good idea.

Bakaphoenix, I am going to the post office tomorrow. Before that, how about taking your multimeter and setting it to Diodes/Continuity.

Touch the multimeter leads to the legs on an LED. If it does not light up, turn the LED around and try again. You have told me the LEDs don't work but if these 4 were originally wired together it may be something else (eg resistor) that is the issue. I am also having an LED problem that now is suspected to be some resistor at fault but I don't know electricity so have to have knowledgable people help me on my thread.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 06:15:44 »
I think i made a huge mess :S
I diassebled the keyboard to test with the multimeter but i think i connected the cable to the usb in the opposite sense and know the keyboard stopped working :s

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 07:30:34 »
I think i made a huge mess :S
I diassebled the keyboard to test with the multimeter but i think i connected the cable to the usb in the opposite sense and know the keyboard stopped working :s

OK,. I am not familiar with Ducky Shine. But many people on this website are.

Don't give up!

In any case you only needed to take out the original non functioning LEDs and test them. No matter what you would have to desolder them to put in new LEDs.

LEDs are a real pain in the butt. My other Deck repair journey is still far from complete. I've spent many hours without success and am now very frustrated.