Author Topic: "Ransom" Keycap Sets/Keycap trading?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline kNyneWest

"Ransom" Keycap Sets/Keycap trading?
« on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 19:19:24 »
Lately I've really wanted to make a keyboard full of random keycaps.  The problem with this is that individual keycaps are expensive and so are entire sets (when you really only want one cap of the set).

My idea is, we get a group of people who have extra keys leftover from keycap sets that would trade them 1:1 with other people.  Essentially, you say how many keys you have and from how many sets and then we organize a trade.  I'm trying to figure out the best and most efficient way possible to do this to save shipping costs.  The most efficient might honestly be for people to send them all to one location and then that person distributes them accordingly.

Thoughts?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: "Ransom" Keycap Sets/Keycap trading?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 21:11:32 »
sounds like a good deal for people who buy in to those SP crap bags at the end of the year.

Offline kNyneWest

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 21:49:42 »
I'm sorry could you elaborate?  Are these bags of random keycaps?  Because if so they sound like what I want.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 23:04:09 »
I'm sorry could you elaborate?  Are these bags of random keycaps?  Because if so they sound like what I want.

SP makes most of the keycaps for group buys, at the end of the year they sell off all the spares extras and overruns they have by weight. You can get a 10-lb bag for pretty cheap.

Unfortunately there are never any full sets.

Tacticalstache on here got one once and put a load of random keycaps on his QFR once, used it that way for some time. I got to try it and it wasn't bad.

I'll see if I can dig up the topic.

edit: check it:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47476.msg1012186#msg1012186
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 23:06:41 by dorkvader »