Author Topic: Model F spacebar stabilizers - interference ?  (Read 1817 times)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Model F spacebar stabilizers - interference ?
« on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 19:15:00 »
Anyone ever encountered interference from the plastic inserts for the spacebar in the Model F barrel plate, that interferes with the C key and the Comma key?  Meaning, when you depress the key, before the key bottoms out, the bottom edge of the keys hit the top of those inserts?

I am re-assembling my 4704 107, and encountering this.  I'm about to grab the original key set to look at those two keys, see if they appear any different.

Before I break out a file or dremel to relieve a little off the bottom of the keys - figured I would ask if others have seen this.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Model F spacebar stabilizers - interference ?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 19:39:30 »
Did you take them out to sand and paint, them put them back?

If so, make sure that they are fully re-seated.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 19:55:10 »
They were removed, and the plate sandblasted and powder coated (along with the case) and reinstalled.  They are fully seated - but I suppose they could be sitting higher due to the powder coat.

I supposed I could shave the tops of them down a bit.  I need to disassemble the thing anyway - I have one key that is not buckling, and manually bending the spring the correct direction with an allen wrench is not helping like it did with a couple of the others that had that issue until I did this.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 21:03:10 »
Fixed!

Shaved off a bit on both the top of the inserts, and a little under the C and Comma keys.  Now both of those keys fully depress without contacting.

Also was able to replace the spring on the on key that wouldn't buckle - using your chopstick method.  Must have tried 30 times until it finally 'clicked' (no pun intended).

Now just waiting for one of xwhatsit's controllers to arrive...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 21:31:48 »
using your chopstick method.

Not my chopstick method - I have never even tried it.

I do, however, want to get that pop rivet setup, that seems a lot cleaner.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment