Author Topic: NES controllers--Convert switches to tacts?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Coin-op Adjutant

• Official Toga Llama
NES controllers--Convert switches to tacts?
« on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:58:24 »
So I have very recently found a fairly good, still-working NES Advantage to complement my top-loader deck.

Started using it a little while ago and I have to admit, I do not remember it being so uncomfortable to play with.  The joystick at least works as intended, but the A and B buttons...Dear lord.  They're mushy as hell, and they get jammed quite frequently.

As I'm also peeling apart a number of my old rectangle controllers to try and salvage them (or, failing that, strip them for parts to replace the ones with inferior joypads), this got me thinking: I wonder if it would be possible to swap the rubber dome button switches for something more tactile (and ideally with less button travel)--probably smaller Omron switches.

So my first question is:  Have any fellow GHers attempted something like this?  If so, any thoughts/suggestions?  My primary apprehension is that in order to install different switches, I'd need to get an appropriate dremel for the board...

(On a side note, playing Duck Hunt as of recently gave me a new appreciation for invincible buckling spring technology--I found out when I took it apart that the Nintendo Zapper uses a system of springs linked to sliders an old Omron switch, of all things.  Cool stuff.)
KEYBOARDS OWNED:
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (MX Blues)  ||  CM Storm QuickFire TK (MX Blues) || Model F XT (Capacitive buckling spring, repaired and spray-painted black) || Leopold FC660C (Topre 45g, white/gray dyesub)

MICE/OTHER PERIPHERALS OWNED:
Logitech G9X (x2)  ||  Razer Deathadder 2013  ||  CM Storm Spawn  ||  Razer Sabertooth  ||  Hori Fighting Stick VX (360/PC)  ||  CM Storm Reaper

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: NES controllers--Convert switches to tacts?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 21:19:40 »
So I have very recently found a fairly good, still-working NES Advantage to complement my top-loader deck.

Started using it a little while ago and I have to admit, I do not remember it being so uncomfortable to play with.  The joystick at least works as intended, but the A and B buttons...Dear lord.  They're mushy as hell, and they get jammed quite frequently.

my old roommate has an NES advantage. I got to use it was pretty fun. Too bad I suck at that one batman game he had. You're right about the buttons.

About making them tactile. It is possible, but it might be easy or hard. If they are individual switches you can just replace them with newer/better ones (arcade buttons are a go-to choice) If they are rubber dome and carbon contact over PCB it's still possible but a little harder. I recommend cutting a hole in the PCB under them and wiring a cherry MX or ALPS switch in its place, gluing it in and soldering it to the right traces on the PCB. I can tell you more if I had a good picture of the inside.

controllers are rubber dome / contact over PCB. People have upgraded the switches in them in the pasty, it requires cutting up the PCB and soldering to traces.