Author Topic: Datahand keyboard stopped working  (Read 1532 times)

Offline dpanse

Datahand keyboard stopped working
« on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 18:22:05 »
So my Datahand Pro II stopped working after a decade of service. I took it over to an electronics workshop to have it checked, and the guy said that the PCB, connections, and other things are all fine. The only thing he could point his finger to was the microcontroller.

ATMEL
AT89C55 24PC

He seems to think that this chip is probably faulty. So as I understand, even if I get a new chip, I'll have to reprogram it. Neither do I have the programs, nor the method by which I can do this.

Any options, anyone can suggest as to what I can do?

Thank you..

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Datahand keyboard stopped working
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 22:06:40 »
So my Datahand Pro II stopped working after a decade of service. I took it over to an electronics workshop to have it checked, and the guy said that the PCB, connections, and other things are all fine. The only thing he could point his finger to was the microcontroller.

ATMEL
AT89C55 24PC

He seems to think that this chip is probably faulty. So as I understand, even if I get a new chip, I'll have to reprogram it. Neither do I have the programs, nor the method by which I can do this.

Any options, anyone can suggest as to what I can do?

Thank you..

You can replace the microcontroller with a different one. Fortunately other people have done done this already so you can use their code.

I believe someone has used a teensy, but I can't for the life of me find it to link. Can anyone else help out?

Bu the answer is: yes it is indeed possible, even for a newbie.

Offline dpanse

Re: Datahand keyboard stopped working
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 02:58:37 »
Thank you. I did search around a bit and found the thread. I've already ordered the Teensy board with pins to try this out.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12212.0

Will keep you posted.