Author Topic: Ergodox makes computer hang at startup  (Read 1731 times)

Offline rsheldiii

Ergodox makes computer hang at startup
« on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 20:14:48 »
Hey guys,
 so I switched to Cubanic's fork of the TMK firmware for my ergo dox and ever since it causes my computer to hang at boot (didn't happen with Ben's firmware). I have to unplug the keyboard to get past the initial splash screen, plug it in briefly so the BIOS doesn't kick me to the UEFI for not having a keyboard plugged in, unplug it again for hard drive discovery, and then plug it in one last time in order to select my OS from GRUB. Obviously that's incredibly annoying. I can find murmurs of people with similar problems on the forums but nobody ever comes back with an answer. Does/did anyone else have this problem? What did you do to fix it?

I'm going to try turning off NKRO to see if that does it but after that I'm fresh out of ideas

Offline plainbriny

Re: Ergodox makes computer hang at startup
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 22:25:45 »
I have encountered this before.
Are you using lufa?
Switching to pjrc could solve this.

Or you can comment out some lines in the Makefile:
Code: [Select]
# Build Options
#   comment out to disable the options.
#
#BOOTMAGIC_ENABLE = yes # Virtual DIP switch configuration(+1000)
MOUSEKEY_ENABLE = yes # Mouse keys(+5000)
EXTRAKEY_ENABLE = yes # Audio control and System control(+600)
#CONSOLE_ENABLE = yes    # Console for debug
#COMMAND_ENABLE = yes    # Commands for debug and configuration
SLEEP_LED_ENABLE = yes  # Breathing sleep LED during USB suspend
#NKRO_ENABLE = yes # USB Nkey Rollover - not yet supported in LUFA
#PS2_MOUSE_ENABLE = yes # PS/2 mouse(TrackPoint) support
#PS2_USE_BUSYWAIT = yes
#INVERT_NUMLOCK = yes # invert state of NumLock led

To me it's the CONSOLE_ENABLE causing the problem, I thought I was the only one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 October 2014, 01:08:51 by plainbriny »

Offline rsheldiii

Re: Ergodox makes computer hang at startup
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 01:30:11 »
Unfortunately no dice :/ I was compiling with Lufa but switching to PJRC didn't help, and neither did commenting out everything you have commented in the makefile. The builds are definitely changing as my memory utilization jumped down from 70 to 40 to 30 as I disabled features, and I did a sanity check to make sure it wasn't Wake On Lan or something turning my computer back on, but it's definitely the ergo dox. I haven't tried commenting out everything in Lufa, though I tried just commenting the console enable and it would no longer let me type. here's my .eep and .hex generated files from turning off most things in boot in pjrc: http://dropcanvas.com/e2unx right now I'm still stumped as to what could be causing it

Edit: just stumbled upon this while doing a search for Cubanic's firmware so I thought I'd update, just in case anyone else has the same problem: I never solved this bug, and eventually reformatted my drive to install Windows 8.1. It seems to be related to GRUB or something, as without a dual boot the ergodox works fine. If you are having this problem you should start poking around the grub to see if you can figure out what's up
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2015, 14:37:54 by rsheldiii »