Author Topic: Help designing an aluminum 60% case  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Ripudio

Help designing an aluminum 60% case
« on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:57:28 »
Hey everyone, as the title says, I'm working on designing an aluminum 60% case for myself. I don't have the ability to do the manufacturing myself, but I thought I'd give eMachineshop a try and potentially even see if there is enough interest for a group buy down the line.

I'm a little worried about spending the money and then getting a useless chunk of aluminum because I screwed up the measurements. Is there a reference guide anywhere as far as spacing for mounting holes and clearances? I've measured them a dozen times, but having something that's been verified is so much more reassuring. Thanks for any help you can give!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Help designing an aluminum 60% case
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:21:50 »
There's got to be a local machine shop in our area that's cheaper and better than emachineshop. Look around.

As far as standard drawings of the mounting holes and clearances. Some of that info will be in the cad resources topic. Some you might be able to get from other people. It would help to know what PCB you are designing this case for.

For example, I was able to get the CAD outline for the sprit PCBs so I could make sure my case solution would work.

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 12:20:03 »
That's just the kind of reference I was looking for! I figured Poker/Poker cases are the most compatible as far as 60% boards go so I was going to go that route. Would you be able to send the file over or should I ask Sprit/someone else directly?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 12:23:41 »
That's just the kind of reference I was looking for! I figured Poker/Poker cases are the most compatible as far as 60% boards go so I was going to go that route. Would you be able to send the file over or should I ask Sprit/someone else directly?

I only have the drawing for the 107-key, so I'd have sent it already, sorry.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 14:45:08 »
I attached a 60% plate drawing that jdcarpe was kind enough to give me awhile ago.

I would obtain the PCB and take the measurements yourself.  Compare the numbers you take with the numbers on the plate drawing and use the latter if they appear to match closely.  My advice is to obtain as many of the components (don't get screwed by screws) you plan to use as possible before submitting your design to a mill/cutter.  Print out the design on paper from a top-down perspective in actual size and put your PCB on top of it.

Two things that caught me before: 1) if you are using Cherry plate mount stabilizers, note that the stabilizer wire may extend past the edge of the PCB so you will have to account for that.  2) give yourself a lot of clearance for the USB port - a lot of USB cables have housings that are overly large. 

Finally, I have only designed two cases (one of which was a numpad), so any advice given by others that conflicts with mine should be given greater weight :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:04:03 »
I can measure my poker II or race PCB with calipers to verify your measurements. Send them to me and I'll check against what I have with the calipers.

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 14:46:21 »
I have it all sketched out in the eMachineshop software, which won't run on my work mac. I'll get you the numbers tonight, thanks Dorkvader!