Author Topic: repeating / stuck key  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
repeating / stuck key
« on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:08:53 »
So I desoldered my JD40 the other day to put a brushed finish on it and now the u key sometimes repeats or doesn't register.  Do I just need to desolder that switch and resolder it?  Any other suggestions to look at?

I think I could really like this keyboard if I get used to/tweak the layout a bit.  Now that I am actually typing on it a bit the b key seems to do it as well at times.  The one thing that I wish was different about the physical layout would be to have 3 keys on the right side and 2 keys on the left side of the space bar.  I am kind of left hand stupid like that.  I also keep hitting right shift instead of period though.  That will come with time. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Moralless

Re: repeating / stuck key
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:17:41 »
I've never worked with a PCB before, but when I was building my keyboard which has a hand wired matrix, a few keys wouldn't register/be always registered on aquakeytest and all I had to do was resolder the switches and it would work fine. Assuming the switches were perfectly functional beforehand (i.e. it's not a debouncing issue) then I would try just resoldering the switch onto the PCB, but if you didn't test the keyboard prior to de-soldering I would resolder a newer switch instead as it might be due to a faulty switch.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:18:49 »
Do you have a multimeter? Use that to test the connectivity of the switch. I think it might be a cold joint or a faulty switch.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:19:46 »
I've never worked with a PCB before, but when I was building my keyboard which has a hand wired matrix, a few keys wouldn't register/be always registered on aquakeytest and all I had to do was resolder the switches and it would work fine. Assuming the switches were perfectly functional beforehand (i.e. it's not a debouncing issue) then I would try just resoldering the switch onto the PCB, but if you didn't test the keyboard prior to de-soldering I would resolder a newer switch instead as it might be due to a faulty switch.

The board did work great before hand, I don't want to replace the switch with a new one as they are vintage blacks stickered and lubed.  So I think I will try just desoldering it when I get the time.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 22:02:38 »
I would try to reflow it first and then desolder if you really need.

What sticker colour is it? I have some vintage blacks so I could probably make you a new one if you really need.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 22:08:27 »
they are red stickers.

Got any PCB mount blacks, don't care if they are vintage or not.  Seems the place I ordered some from have them on backlog and didn't tell me about it.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 22:15:36 »
they are red stickers.

Got any PCB mount blacks, don't care if they are vintage or not.  Seems the place I ordered some from have them on backlog and didn't tell me about it.

I have hundreds of PCB mount blacks. I'll send you some from the desko which are so well used they are basically "vintage" feeling anyway.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 22:20:21 »
they are red stickers.

I have hundreds of PCB mount blacks. I'll send you some from the desko which are so well used they are basically "vintage" feeling anyway.

PM sent