Author Topic: Questions for a Glow In the Dark (GID) project  (Read 1237 times)

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Questions for a Glow In the Dark (GID) project
« on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 18:25:43 »
Howdy GH! I purchased a 10-pack of 3mm UV LEDs from ebay, hoping they would be ideal for a glow in the dark keyboard I have planned in the future! Keycaps, cable, hopefully even the case itself. :D

The LEDs look less bright and a lot more whiteish-purplish then the blue hue the camera picks up
81064-0

The maxkb sampler makes a great LED tester!
81066-1

If only the LEDs could shine more evenly around the underside of the keycap, but that's a common problem for all MX switches. I wish I could get my hands on some of those clear switch housings that someone made and sold to the community, I might be able to spread the UV glow a bit better. (Eheh... anyone have spares of those they'd be willing to sell? :P)
81068-2

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on:
a. Acquiring a full set of GID caps, modifiers and all. I haven't decided on whether to go for 60%, TKL, or full-sized board yet, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to email SP about doing some? I don't see any GID plastic colors in their samplers, but they have done GID colors before, such as for the Midnight set, right? I understand that GID plastics are more expensive, but I really can't gauge how much more expensive. Would it be a decent idea to start an Interest Check for a GID set? I think it'd be awesome, whether blank or with legends, but I'm getting ahead of myself...
b. the GID LEDS themselves - Do I stick with these cheap UV LEDs which have a higher (and therefore more visible) dominant wavelength? (395~405nm) They're so incredibly affordable, like three bucks for a 100-pack, but is there a better specific choice for UV LEDs I should opt for, as far as charging GID plastics goes? If you have experience with UV LEDs, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
c. A board to put at the heart of my project. Do I buy an existing board and desolder its LEDs and put in my own? Or should I just man up and get something like a NeRD PCB? I'm really not sure the best way to approach this.

Thank you for looking and reading!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 18:27:22 by mogo »

Offline mogo

Re: Questions for a Glow In the Dark (GID) project
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 23:56:27 »
Bump?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline mogo

Re: Questions for a Glow In the Dark (GID) project
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:58:29 »
Like these?  http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/clear-mx-switch-cover

Wow, yeah! I didn't know techkeys had these, thanks for the heads up!  :thumb: