Author Topic: Software for printing relegendables of different sizes  (Read 2458 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Software for printing relegendables of different sizes
« on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 11:10:16 »
I am using a bunch of relegendables. I have four different size types. Does anyone know how I can use Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MSpaint or some commonly available Windows 7 software to produce labels?

My labels require a bit of customization, since sometimes a key is assigned 3-4 uses on different layers. So I can't just print one letter or word for every label; some labels require more flexibility eg one different letter, word or symbol printed on each corner. And since all 4 relegendables are different sizes, I will have to measure them and instruct excel or whatever software that I am using to make different cell sizes.

As I am not using WinXP I will prefer not to use the Cherry Corp's keycap label printing software which is for winXP. In any case only 1 type of relegendable I am using is Cherry Corp, and 3 other types are from different sources. I don't have four different companies' proprietary software and hope to use just one software.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 11:14:14 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Software for printing relegendables of different sizes
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 12:26:41 »
I think using a spreadsheet programm mightbe the best use, if you can figurte out how many pixels wide to make the boxes so that they fit neatly on the relegendable keytop.

I think talking to xkeys or cherry might be a good idea if no-one here has anything for you.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:29:57 »
Only thing I could contribute would be to measure the size of the paper used for BS re-legendables // which have an hourglass sort of shape to them (front / top / back).
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:38:02 »
what I always did was make a bunch that were all really small, hand label them and use for any relegendable I had.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:39:51 by dorkvader »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:45:51 »
Now I really am looking for a more professional look, not amateurish hand written stuff anymore.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 14:41:56 »
What about creating a custom label template in MS word with cells that are about .5"x.5" ?

EDIT : Something like this?

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 14:56:58 by 0100010 »
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.