Author Topic: [SOLVED]Help with adding LED's to my Poker II  (Read 2492 times)

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
[SOLVED]Help with adding LED's to my Poker II
« on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:43:02 »
Alright so me being the optimist I am decided I was going to get into keyboard modding, and my first matter of business was trying to add LED's to my Poker II, I had seen a guide on reddit that made it seem quite simple (http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1unz48/poker_ii_led_mod_guide/)

However I'm already stuck on like step 2 or something, I'm trying to remove the solder previously on the board (honestly why do they even do that why not just leave the holes exposed? Is there a legitimate reason?) and I can get all the surface solder removed no problem but cant seem to get any of the solder out of the hole. The guide says to use a solder sucker, however I remember reading some soldering guide on here saying that solder suckers, well, suck, and having a father who I knew has done a fair amount of soldering asked him for what he would suggest, to which he instantly replied, a soldering wick. So that's what I'm trying to use, thats the only thing I can think of that would be causing a problem, maybe he didn't know the intricacy of a PCB and has only worked on larger projects.
Here are some pictures of what I'm using (my other concern is the size of the soldering tip)

Also if you look at the second two images you'll see a slight discoloration on the PCB where I was heating up the solder, is this something that could damage the PCB or should I not be extremely worried?
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 14:18:47 by daviswalkers »

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline slickmamba

Re: Help with adding LED's to my Poker II
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 00:03:10 »
solder suckers work fine for me.  for tricky holes, try adding more solder, and be sure the entire thing is reflowed
Hi :)

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 00:05:40 »
solder suckers work fine for me.  for tricky holes, try adding more solder, and be sure the entire thing is reflowed

Thanks I forgot to mention I did try adding more solder, maybe I'll have to give a sucker a shot!

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 00:21:12 »
I have had more success with a solder sucker then wick when it comes to my poker pcb.

I was very new to soldering  also and thoughy i had dmged my board also, they are pretty resilient  as long as you don't  lift a pad. Even then can be fixed.

Gl!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 00:29:45 »
I wouldn't waste too much time trying to get all the solder out of a double sided through hole with a braid. Even with a good quality solder sucker, such as the Edsyn Soldapullt, you may not get all the solder out. With a desoldering tool such as a Hakko 808, maybe.

Insert the leads of the LED into their location in the switch, as far as they will go. Then alternate heating both pads with your soldering iron, while pushing the LED into the holes. When the LED is properly seated, trim the leads and give it a good bead of solder as with any joint.

Also, try not to leave the iron tip on the solder pads too long. It doesn't look like you have a temperature controlled iron, so it's probably way too hot for what you're doing. You could end up burning the solder pads off the holes.

Hope this helps!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 03:43:26 »
I have had more success with a solder sucker then wick when it comes to my poker pcb.

I was very new to soldering  also and thoughy i had dmged my board also, they are pretty resilient  as long as you don't  lift a pad. Even then can be fixed.

Gl!
Hmmm and how would one, fix said problem... No reason of course... :-[

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to get all the solder out of a double sided through hole with a braid. Even with a good quality solder sucker, such as the Edsyn Soldapullt, you may not get all the solder out. With a desoldering tool such as a Hakko 808, maybe.

Insert the leads of the LED into their location in the switch, as far as they will go. Then alternate heating both pads with your soldering iron, while pushing the LED into the holes. When the LED is properly seated, trim the leads and give it a good bead of solder as with any joint.

Also, try not to leave the iron tip on the solder pads too long. It doesn't look like you have a temperature controlled iron, so it's probably way too hot for what you're doing. You could end up burning the solder pads off the holes.

Hope this helps!
So I thought of this right after I finished and was curious why this wasn't the standard glad to know I wasn't completely crazy for thinking I could do something like that!

So I watched a few youtube videos and decided to go for it, I have a new keyboard on the way so worst case scenerio I destroy the thing and have one less board to not use for no reason.
And I'm quite happy with the result, I sadly removed a soldering pad but I ended up just making a pattern of missing leds so it wasn't obvious there was just one missing and honestly you cant even tell (as long as I continue to use thick PBT non led trans (or whatever the keys that have a window for the backlight are called)

It's in a Blue Tex Aluminum case, I also have an Acrylic one on the way from Massdrop and was going to try to buy some led strips to put in the case to make it glow from within but wasn't sure how I would achieve that.

Also as someone who used to be a goldsmith I'm quite used to welding Jewelery and repairing gold/silver/platinum but haven't worked with any of the metals used for this, I didn't think about this until just as I was typing this, should I be concerned if I inhaled a decent amount of fumes?
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 03:45:44 by daviswalkers »

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 10:39:52 »

Gl!
Hmmm and how would one, fix said problem... No reason of course... :-[

Hope this helps!
So I thought of this right after I finished and was curious why this wasn't the standard glad to know I wasn't completely crazy for thinking I could do something like that!

So I watched a few youtube videos and decided to go for it, I have a new keyboard on the way so worst case scenerio I destroy the thing and have one less board to not use for no reason.
And I'm quite happy with the result, I sadly removed a soldering pad but I ended up just making a pattern of missing leds so it wasn't obvious there was just one missing and honestly you cant even tell (as long as I continue to use thick PBT non led trans (or whatever the keys that have a window for the backlight are called)
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It's in a Blue Tex Aluminum case, I also have an Acrylic one on the way from Massdrop and was going to try to buy some led strips to put in the case to make it glow from within but wasn't sure how I would achieve that.

Also as someone who used to be a goldsmith I'm quite used to welding Jewelery and repairing gold/silver/platinum but haven't worked with any of the metals used for this, I didn't think about this until just as I was typing this, should I be concerned if I inhaled a decent amount of fumes?

Looks good :thumb:

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 14:19:26 »