Author Topic: Retro's Hand-crafted Keycaps Adventure!  (Read 62505 times)

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
Re: [Update 10-12-15 Resin casted!]Retro's Hand-crafted Keycaps Adventure!
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:30:22 »
It's happening
(Attachment Link)

Hold the freaking phone.

Those colours are delicious.... like little cotton candy gummies.

That red speckling (idk what its called...) also look amazing. Is that somehow done in the mold, or done afterwards?

Thanks! The colors turned out pretty nice. The red specking is done in the mold.

romevi, the sale will be an open raffle!

**** yes raaaaafuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhlll

though i prefer raffles where you have to pay to get in (like the binge's sticket raffle) b/c it feels more like gambling

That sticket raffle was such a good idea. I don't have the production means to make 100 keycaps, but maybe something on a smaller scale? I'm thinking of running the sale and donating the profits to my dog's surgery fund :( :(

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 17:09:18 »
It's happening
(Attachment Link)

These are awesome!!!

I hope your pup will be okay, never fun dealing with vet bills especially since pet insurance doesn't do anything. Will there be an option to donate extra for those that win the raffle?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 00:25:18 »
It's happening
(Attachment Link)

Hold the freaking phone.

Those colours are delicious.... like little cotton candy gummies.

That red speckling (idk what its called...) also look amazing. Is that somehow done in the mold, or done afterwards?

Thanks! The colors turned out pretty nice. The red specking is done in the mold.

romevi, the sale will be an open raffle!

**** yes raaaaafuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhlll

though i prefer raffles where you have to pay to get in (like the binge's sticket raffle) b/c it feels more like gambling

That sticket raffle was such a good idea. I don't have the production means to make 100 keycaps, but maybe something on a smaller scale? I'm thinking of running the sale and donating the profits to my dog's surgery fund :( :(

**** Retro-  as a new puppy's daddy I'm sorry to hear that your dogey needs medical help.  That being said let me know if you need anything in setting up your sale.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 00:46:36 »
Those Miami caps are  :eek: :eek: :eek: Keep up the great work, and best of luck with your dog.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 02:14:40 »
So many killas dengggggggggg

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 06:11:14 »
Gonna have to set aside the date for whenever this goes ahead!
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:58:50 »
I'm really touched by everyone's words of encouragement and enthusiasm. I'm slowly working at making caps when I've got some spare time. It will be a raffle/donation sale. 100% of the profits will go towards her surgery fund. Thanks Binge, whmeltonjr, and Jema for your kind words. Here are some pics of the latest caps/creations for potato Friday:

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
Some of these are going out to their new owners on Monday after a weekend cure.  :thumb:

EDIT: shoopiiiddd cell phone pics rotated all weird now fixed :3
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 12:01:38 by retrochick »

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 12:10:24 »
I hope your sale goes well enough to cover all the surgery costs for your dog. It's hard having a pet be in pain.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 12:10:44 »
Oh my gosh, please start it soon!  :p

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 12:12:36 »
Really excited to receive my specimen. They look really top quality. Mine will be going on my Jane CE, so it's really getting the best in treatment  :thumb:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 12:15:23 »
So purdy!!!! I love all the different color variations/experiments you're working on  :p

Do you have a pic of your doge to show us!?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:03:49 »
I'm confused how you know your dog needs surgery in advance - shouldn't you be selling tickets already to get her fixed asap, then make some caps? :confused:

That said I'm loving the doubleshot eyes, your progress is really impressive!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:33:11 »
I'm confused how you know your dog needs surgery in advance - shouldn't you be selling tickets already to get her fixed asap, then make some caps? :confused:

She has elbow dysplasia, which is a congenital disease that is diagnosed with a CT or X-Ray. It's not life-threatening, however it does lead to lameness over time. The doctor suggested we do the surgery, to help with her quality of life. Does that clear up your confusion?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:39:43 »
She has elbow dysplasia, which is a congenital disease that is diagnosed with a CT or X-Ray. It's not life-threatening, however it does lead to lameness over time. The doctor suggested we do the surgery, to help with her quality of life. Does that clear up your confusion?

Is she a big dog? They tend to suffer from that quite a bit. Luckily it's not a very invasive surgery so your pup will be up and about in no time!

Also, dogs are very resilient. As they age you'll find quite a bit that are arthritic, develop cataracts, or have some other handicap. Yet they're still the same great pets that they were when they were young. Nothing ever brings them down.  :)

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 15:51:39 »
Hey Retro - pls check your PM

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 05:45:40 »

Fair enough, if she's still happy and active then no rush but it does need doing sometime :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 20:31:14 »
I can totally say that your designs are exactly what I was hoping to see somebody develop this winter on the MK communities. I was getting tired of seeing either detailed characters or blocky keycaps and we also had many people going for the blanks' route because it's the easier route, I believe. Like you said, you had to work with the keycap not against it and this is absolutely fantastic to read and to see. I find amazing that you improved the design without deviating too much from the original idea. You combined both of my favorite styles of artisan keycap design, the character and the block/cube. It is very nice to see how far the Goblin has come since you first presented it. The improvements in regards of texture, details, colors and size are definitely noticeable and the the most important thing is that you seem to be having heaps of fun making these keycaps.

This is truly fantastic.

I'm super excited for having another fabulous maker to follow. My favorite current designs are the Frank and the Yeti. I totally fell in love with the caps since your Miami Spice post and this picture above was icing on the cake. Actually, I feel extremely happy and pleased by looking at all of the outstanding pictures that you and Badwrench post on Reddit, here and on Post your Retrocaps thread. I don't know how to exactly say this because english is not my native language, but these pictures really make me feel super glad and inspired. I believe that I'm a visual person and the colors displayed on such photographs, specially the tones of hot pink and blue, are very relaxing and stress-relieving for me. Looking at these fancy and colorful keycaps completely improve my mood and I wonder if there's a psychological effect behind this "something" that I experience. But I'm sure it has to do with the glare, reflex, texture, gradients and colors displayed on the photographs. Turns out that looking at your work is something that truly lift my spirits and it makes a difference after a hard day, so thank you very much for that. Congratulations for the incredible progress you've made for the past couple of months, this project is going to be remarkable. I very much admire your effort and talent.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 20:38:17 »
I can totally say that your designs are exactly what I was hoping to see somebody develop this winter on the MK communities. I was getting tired of seeing either detailed characters or blocky keycaps and we also had many people going for the blanks' route because it's the easier route, I believe. Like you said, you had to work with the keycap not against it and this is absolutely fantastic to read and to see. I find amazing that you improved the design without deviating too much from the original idea. You combined both of my favorite styles of artisan keycap design, the character and the block/cube. It is very nice to see how far the Goblin has come since you first presented it. The improvements in regards of texture, details, colors and size are definitely noticeable and the the most important thing is that you seem to be having heaps of fun making these keycaps.

Show Image
This is truly fantastic.

I'm super excited for having another fabulous maker to follow. My favorite current designs are the Frank and the Yeti. I totally fell in love with the caps since your Miami Spice post and this picture above was icing on the cake. Actually, I feel extremely happy and pleased by looking at all of the outstanding pictures that you and Badwrench post on Reddit, here and on Post your Retrocaps thread. I don't know how to exactly say this because english is not my native language, but these pictures really make me feel super glad and inspired. I believe that I'm a visual person and the colors displayed on such photographs, specially the tones of hot pink and blue, are very relaxing and stress-relieving for me. Looking at these fancy and colorful keycaps completely improve my mood and I wonder if there's a psychological effect behind this "something" that I experience. But I'm sure it has to do with the glare, reflex, texture, gradients and colors displayed on the photographs. Turns out that looking at your work is something that truly lift my spirits and it makes a difference after a hard day, so thank you very much for that. Congratulations for the incredible progress you've made for the past couple of months, this project is going to be remarkable. I very much admire your effort and talent.

Wowow are these all yours! They look amazing!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 20:41:46 »

Show Image
This is truly fantastic.

Agree +1. I love the caps, and can't wait for the raffle. I hope to win one, but I'll be ecstatic to see these on boards in different cap combos people come up with.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 20:42:30 »

Show Image
This is truly fantastic.

Very very well said.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 21:18:13 »

Wowow are these all yours! They look amazing!

Sadly I don't own any artisans, let alone Retro caps.

I found this beautiful picture on Reddit, all credits to Retrochick.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 12:28:27 »
Wow, thanks MiTo for your eloquent words! I'm very happy that so many people like my caps. I'm glad that my work is inspiring to you - that's part of the reason why I love this subforum (Making Stuff Together) so much!

To be honest making keycaps started as a fun experiment and I've still got a LOT to learn, especially looking at the advanced techniques of Bro, Binge, Krytone, etc. But learning is part of the journey for me. I wanted to say that your guys' support means a great deal to me, and really I think to all new artisans, because sometimes I feel like I'm the crazy one making these tiny things in this silly hobby of ours :). I started out making blanks and it taught me a lot about casting resin by hand. I then discovered that I loved sculpting. I have a love/hate relationship with resin casting. There's something really rewarding when you go out on a limb and try a hair-brained idea out and it works out. There's also that equally crushing feeling when you have the absolute confidence that what you did will/should result in X, and what you get is something unusable instead.

A quick update for everyone: I'm making a new mold because my current one is driving me crazy. I'm OCD like that. So, until have the time to do that, keycap production is now halted. I have my dog's surgery that's looming ahead. Hopefully I can make some more and have a sale before the surgery and before I pack up and move. Not sure when I'll be able to get back into making keycaps after the move because all my equipment will be in storage indefinitely until I can find a permanent home for them. T.T

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 12:34:54 »
Wow, thanks MiTo for your eloquent words! I'm very happy that so many people like my caps. I'm glad that my work is inspiring to you - that's part of the reason why I love this subforum (Making Stuff Together) so much!

To be honest making keycaps started as a fun experiment and I've still got a LOT to learn, especially looking at the advanced techniques of Bro, Binge, Krytone, etc. But learning is part of the journey for me. I wanted to say that your guys' support means a great deal to me, and really I think to all new artisans, because sometimes I feel like I'm the crazy one making these tiny things in this silly hobby of ours :). I started out making blanks and it taught me a lot about casting resin by hand. I then discovered that I loved sculpting. I have a love/hate relationship with resin casting. There's something really rewarding when you go out on a limb and try a hair-brained idea out and it works out. There's also that equally crushing feeling when you have the absolute confidence that what you did will/should result in X, and what you get is something unusable instead.

A quick update for everyone: I'm making a new mold because my current one is driving me crazy. I'm OCD like that. So, until have the time to do that, keycap production is now halted. I have my dog's surgery that's looming ahead. Hopefully I can make some more and have a sale before the surgery and before I pack up and move. Not sure when I'll be able to get back into making keycaps after the move because all my equipment will be in storage indefinitely until I can find a permanent home for them. T.T

Why don't you do a mini sale with the caps that you have?

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 13:45:52 »

Very insteresting insight about your makings and creative process. To us your work looks pretty much perfect at this point, but it's cool to hear that you're still developing and finding room for improvement! However, I believe that you don't need to push yourself too hard, nor have a 100% perfect cap for a little sale. For example, Krytone had his 1.0 sale before the Judgemental Skull was completely perfected and polished. In his early days, he used to cast a batch of caps (95% perfect) in order to make a little sale. He would then take his learnings from the process, cast another improved batch (let's say 97% perfect) and made another small sale! Don't be afraid to make small sales because of quality, I understand that you're still improving but the thing is that I want to see your work IRL so bad! For me, every imperfection is a part of the experience and I love experiences. I cant wait to see the Yeti or perhaps Frank on my board! 

I also love dogs. My Boxer is in a similar situation of health as your dog and I just moved to another place, so I can totally relate. It's very sad to see our companions down for the count and I really hope that your buddy gets healthy soon! ;)

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:32:44 »
As an artist I stand behind my creations and this first sale for me is an art exhibition of sorts. As such, certain things need to be in place before I feel comfortable having one. These are things I am not willing to compromise on. While other makers have their way of hosting sales, I have my own standards that I adhere to because I believe in quality and not quantity. While I appreciate your enthusiasm and support I am not motivated by whatever $$$ I may receive from this hobby but rather the process. I am just as excited to share what I've made with the community as the community is to receive it. Rest assured there will probably a b-stock sale afterwards for those who really really want a keycap and did not get in the raffle.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:18:37 »
As an artist I stand behind my creations and this first sale for me is an art exhibition of sorts. As such, certain things need to be in place before I feel comfortable having one. These are things I am not willing to compromise on. While other makers have their way of hosting sales, I have my own standards that I adhere to because I believe in quality and not quantity. While I appreciate your enthusiasm and support I am not motivated by whatever $$$ I may receive from this hobby but rather the process. I am just as excited to share what I've made with the community as the community is to receive it. Rest assured there will probably a b-stock sale afterwards for those who really really want a keycap and did not get in the raffle.

I can respect that.

My bad on not reading closely enough (didn't know they weren't up to snuff...I just thought you didn't have many).

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:36:08 »

Different makers have different standards and goals and I respect and understand that you do it for the hobby and not to make a buck.

I honestly never thought otherwise. Prepare whatever you want to prepare and until then I'll stay here rooting for you and your eventual sale!

:thumb:

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:36:31 »
well, the mold when everything is aligned properly, gives me great keycaps. when it doesn't it gives me keycaps that I deem as 'unacceptable.' mind you, my margins of error are extremely narrow to begin with. but i believe its very attainable. I just want me creations to be perfect  :p :p :p

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 18:13:09 »
You're only as good as your worst cap. Keep them standards high!  :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 18:14:46 »

It's kind of refreshing to see someone care so much about the work they do, 100% or nothing is a great attitude and I'm absolutely doing the same if I ever create and publish something.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 18:41:11 »

It's kind of refreshing to see someone care so much about the work they do, 100% or nothing is a great attitude and I'm absolutely doing the same if I ever create and publish something.

Booper was the same - she sent out some very well received samples in March and had an army of caps made by early July, but didn't have a sale until October (and none of the army was in the sale!)

Personally I think lady artisans just like to tease us :p
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 19:07:07 »

Booper was the same - she sent out some very well received samples in March and had an army of caps made by early July, but didn't have a sale until October (and none of the army was in the sale!)

It'll be worth the wait  :-*

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 19:13:34 »

You've generated a lot of interest on these. If these are the b-stock I can't wait to see your finished work. Good luck!

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 21:56:42 »
well, the mold when everything is aligned properly, gives me great keycaps. when it doesn't it gives me keycaps that I deem as 'unacceptable.' mind you, my margins of error are extremely narrow to begin with. but i believe its very attainable. I just want me creations to be perfect  :p :p :p

But imperfections give caps character ;)

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 02:05:24 »
It's worth the weight.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 02:09:04 »

I'm sure it will but for now we'll all just sit here waiting for perfection.. waiting.. and waiting.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 08:48:30 »

As long as you didn't "waste" all that lovely orange dye on "unacceptable" caps it will be unmissable :thumb:

I'm seeing an absence of Goblin Goyle in recent updates, has he been abandoned in favour of the equally toothy Cold Yeti?  A "cold" orange cap just doesn't seem right...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:05:08 »
Received my retro today, absolutely tops in quality. These things are more intricately sculpted than you could possible tell in the pictures.
My cap will be temporarily housed on this APC board until my Jane CE arrives, which was the actual reason I got this in black.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:16:39 »
Received my retro today, absolutely tops in quality. These things are more intricately sculpted than you could possible tell in the pictures.
My cap will be temporarily housed on this APC board until my Jane CE arrives, which was the actual reason I got this in black.

That's super cool!

Any chance you could post pictures?!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:17:27 »

That's super cool!

ooh, meant to post a picture with that.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:25:25 »

That's super cool!

Show Image

Glad to hear that the sharpei has landed safe and sound! Lookin gooooooooood on that black board yo.  :thumb:

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:48:10 »
Show Image

Now that's a solid one, the level of detail is amazing... :eek:

Nice job as always retrochick!

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 18:26:40 »
As someone just getting into making caps, this thread is awesome :) nicely done and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 22:24:36 »
Close but no cigar :(
Try try again tomorrow!

120414-0

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 22:54:52 »
As someone just getting into making caps, this thread is awesome :) nicely done and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Dude you should make your own progression thread like Katzenkinder has done and Retrochick.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 07:31:52 »
Try try again tomorrow!

(Attachment Link)

This trio make my heart beat really really fast as these are the hottest keycaps that I have ever seen.

I'm in complete fascination, they are absolutely gorgeous, astonishing, mesmerizing.

No words rc, I have literally no words for this.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 07:33:29 »
Try try again tomorrow!

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

This trio make my heart beat really really fast as these are the hottest keycaps that I have ever seen.

I'm in complete fascination, they are absolutely gorgeous, astonishing, mesmerizing.

No words rc, I have literally no words for this.

I think you need a cold shower...

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 07:39:27 »
Try try again tomorrow!

(Attachment Link)

Even though they wouldn't work as keycaps they still look great. Maybe a keychain decoration or something?

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 09:55:27 »
Try try again tomorrow!

(Attachment Link)

Even though they wouldn't work as keycaps they still look great. Maybe a keychain decoration or something?

Maybe! Dang nabbit air bubbles!!!!
I'm off to attempt this again. BRB y'all

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 17:57:35 »

Maybe! Dang nabbit air bubbles!!!!
I'm off to attempt this again. BRB y'all

Take all the time you need!