Author Topic: [IC] Cherry MX Silent Black  (Read 25348 times)

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
Re: [IC] Cherry MX Silent Black
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 16:47:13 »
UPDATE: Novel Keys will be offering packs of 120 for $39 from within the US.
Is that $39 + shipping or $39 shipped (within US)?

That would be $39 plus shipping from NovelKeys :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 17:10:16 »
in for 2
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 17:38:39 »
If they're PCB mount with Black housings, I'm in!

But please avoid RGB housings. You can't properly use LEDs with them, unless you place them inside the switch. They're normally used for RGB PCB's which aren't very common. (I think the only quality one available would be Zeal's RGB PCB - Those are PCB's with LED's on them).

So PCB mount with Black Housings, please!

What makes them not suitable for regular LEDs?
They do not have the holes for the leds on the switch housing, forcing the user to disassemble the switch to install the LEDs. Normally cherry MX switches have  two holes in both the top and bottom housing allowing for a  easy Led install, but the RGB  variants have none.

WTF why no holes for leds on the RGB version :(   

Damn Cherry. 

I was super-hyped for Silent RGB but at this point yeah the Black is the only way to go, even if people will vote for cherry RGB it means they don't know the led compatibility as well.  We can still fit the led inside the switch tho but this is a big limit...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 17:41:46 »
rgb housings are really brittle so you'll likely break a few trying to open then

black housings are much better
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 17:53:08 »
rgb housings are really brittle so you'll likely break a few trying to open then

black housings are much better

yeah this is right, but i would care more about the non-led compatibility of the RGB version, so the rgb version will be unusable for almost every PCB and for unusable i mean non-compatible with normal leds. Basically a RGB switch with no lights :D

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 17:53:52 »
Guess voting for RGB costs nothing. But that will definitely ruin this gb for people who are really serious about spending money on this.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 17:56:01 »
Guess voting for RGB costs nothing. But that will definitely ruin this gb for people who are really serious about spending money on this.

A vote will only happen if RGB are same price. And i will list all the cons mentioned for RGB. I am also tempted to just run the GB, and state the reason as the RGB ones are no good. ;) :D

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 17:58:19 »

This is my fear, people jumping in the thread and just voting for the RGB version without reading the comments/details from OP (he said that every detail will be included).   This is at least what i would have done before discovering the led-compatibility problem.   

At this point i just hope that the RGB version will be higher as price and that the vote will never happen in the first place.  I also think that if this will end up to be the RGB version, the moq will not be hitted, while if this will be the black version, only few will skip it.   
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 July 2017, 18:01:48 by KaosJ »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 18:05:54 »
I am also tempted to just run the GB, and state the reason as the RGB ones are no good. ;) :D

Offline Prelim

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 18:10:47 »
black housing FTW! Isn't it true that the new MX Silent slider are more smooth than the older ones?
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 18:12:39 »
I am also tempted to just run the GB, and state the reason as the RGB ones are no good. ;) :D
Show Image

^ This

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 18:15:46 »
Show Image

^ This

At any rate I'm on holiday until Monday so I'll be updating but not in a position to run a GB until at least Monday :)

Offline xantiema

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 18:28:02 »
I am definitely in. Are these from the newest revision?

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 18:29:34 »
It seems like people are understandably divided over the RGB/non-RGB thing. I'm the rare GH'r that actually would prefer the RGB model as I'd like to strip them for the housing... If it is RGB, I'm in... If not, I'm good. It's hard to commit to an IC when you don't know what you're going to get so I'll just be over here on the sideline until then.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 July 2017, 18:31:08 by ygor »
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 19:14:26 »
black housing vs rgb housing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline xantiema

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 20:32:52 »
Hello everyone!

I'm George. I run Optic Boards - www.opticboards.com

I have an IC here for Cherry MX Silent Black switches.

There is an MOQ of 48,000 switches! Which is incredibly high, to help achieve this I will only be allowing purchases of packs of 120, instead of the however many you want as long as it's more than 10 which I usually do. I will be getting the switches from Cherry's European distributor, so there will not be a re-seller in the middle.

The price is £26 for a pack of 120 or roughly £0.2166... per switch. ($33.94, so it is $0.282 per switch)

I will be pledging to purchase at least 40 packs of switches for myself leaving only 360 packs to be purchased by everyone else.

I would like to run this GB alongside a CONUS based proxy, so if anyone would like to jump in as a proxy let me know via DM  or email: george@opticboards.com.

Shipping prices. £3.50 UK, £5.50 EU, £7.50 everyone else.

Any questions let me know!

Update: Novelkeys has agreed to proxy over in the US! I'll update once he has worked out appropriate price to cover customs and shipping to him.

IC LINK HERE https://goo.gl/forms/0gHqwJawdSunpPV72

As far as I know, there are multiple revisions of these. Which one is this GB for?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 21:25:39 »
Would it be possible to get the manufacturer to send you a sample of the product they are promising to deliver?  I have a feeling that many of us interested in this group buy are wanting some very specific information about the slider and housing.  Specifically, many users on GH have been intersted in the fact that some recent Cherry switches seem to be using newly tooled sliders that greatly improve the smoothness of the switch. 

I can't commit to this group buy unless I know what exactly what switch I'm getting.  I have no need for another cherry switch unless it is a new/improved design. 

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 00:59:04 »
Show Image

same...
I'm not trying to hold you at gun-point or so, but I'm only in with black housings

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 03:52:57 »
I just built another VA68 with silent blacks I got from the Doyu GB. I wanted PCB mount and I prefer the feel of the Gateron yellows (spring weight/force curve), so I just did a bottom + spring swap. I found some of the Gateron bottoms were not silent (clack on downstroke). Out of the ~70 I swapped, ~10 were not good w/ the silent stems (So I needed 80 Gateron yellow).

Anyways, just an option if Cherry only offers Plate mounted and/or not the bottom you prefer, just find some Gateron switches and swap. The key part of the Silent Blacks is the stem anyways...

I'm in for 3-4 packs from NovelKeys. These are really nice, just have to find a way to silence the spacebar better.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 10:44:50 »
Got my silent blacks today and i can confirm they are smoother than previous sand version of cherries. Seems like they are not as smooth as my lubed red gats but gats are used and blacks are brand new. With lube and usage they'll get their best form. And ofcoure less wobble than gats.

So far this is the switch worth to build into a custom. Totally worth it! Forgot to mention they are silent though its not that important but nice feature expecially if you bottom out.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 13:54:54 »
Good news everyone! (most of you anyway). I have received the quote for the RGB variant. They are more expensive meaning that when the GB starts it will be for MX Silent Black PCB Mount switches.

I just need to discuss with NovelKeys for when a good time to start the GB will be.

Offline rioc

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 14:50:20 »
Good news everyone! (most of you anyway). I have received the quote for the RGB variant. They are more expensive meaning that when the GB starts it will be for MX Silent Black PCB Mount switches.

I just need to discuss with NovelKeys for when a good time to start the GB will be.

WOOHOO!! :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 15:27:35 »
Oh, heck yes. Can't wait! Been wanting PCB-mount of these, and now my dream build for my 910 is that much closer.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 16:00:25 »
Awesome! Hope these silent blacks will be made with  the new tooling.

Was bussy all the evening with tweaking silent blacks. Just from my experience i suggest to use thick lube from the start. That will make them butter smooth. Ended up exchanging the black springs to red gaterons springs. Guess i am a sucker for red weights. Right now thinking about purchasing custom springs but in which weight to hit the tension of the reds...?

Offline rioc

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 00:40:10 »
Oh, heck yes. Can't wait! Been wanting PCB-mount of these, and now my dream build for my 910 is that much closer.

Yeah same, had planned vintage black for one of my next builds but now I'll have to with these

Sent from my DREA100 using Tapatalk

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 01:06:25 »
PCB mount!! Please go with black housing.

Offline rioc

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 01:40:01 »
PCB mount!! Please go with black housing.

it has been confirmed it'll be the black housing pcb mount version

Offline pomk

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 05:02:50 »
Knowing how recent the double shot stems are, I find it extremely improbable that more than one set of tooling exists for these. The new tooling that has been discussed was for older slider designs.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 10:14:19 »
I'm down for 1 or 2 packs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 10:35:38 »
Knowing how recent the double shot stems are, I find it extremely improbable that more than one set of tooling exists for these. The new tooling that has been discussed was for older slider designs.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.  Are you saying that you suspect the entire Cherry manufacturing facility only has 1 set of molds for all of the stems in every color stem they make and that they have thrown away all of their old molds.  I suppose that is possible.  But what has me confused is the "doubleshot stems." 

Offline pomk

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:00:07 »

I don't understand what you are trying to say.  Are you saying that you suspect the entire Cherry manufacturing facility only has 1 set of molds for all of the stems in every color stem they make and that they have thrown away all of their old molds.  I suppose that is possible.  But what has me confused is the "doubleshot stems."
The silent stems are done in two shots. One plastic and one rubber. I presume that the first shot is the plastic one as it has channels for the rubber to flow through. The tooling for silent stems is completely new.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:04:23 by pomk »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:13:16 »
But this is the issue.  I have silent reds, and they are the scratchiest stems I've ever had.  I won't even use them they are so bad.  Yet, there are people reporting that their silent blacks are very smooth.  So either something has changed very recently, or there are different "batches", possibly from more that 1 tooling process, or no one knows what they are talking about.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:14:58 »
Hmm, I'd be in if it were for the RGB version, gl!

Offline pomk

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:16:18 »
But this is the issue.  I have silent reds, and they are the scratchiest stems I've ever had.  I won't even use them they are so bad.  Yet, there are people reporting that their silent blacks are very smooth.  So either something has changed very recently, or there are different "batches", possibly from more that 1 tooling process, or no one knows what they are talking about.
Afaik the rgb casings are scratchier, but idk really. The black casing red and black silents that I have are all pretty nice.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:18:44 by pomk »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:30:52 »
I think I'll just have to buy a batch and see.  Surely I can sell them on r/mm if I don't like them

Offline Cotay

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:56:51 »
If they're PCB mount with Black housings, I'm in!

But please avoid RGB housings. You can't properly use LEDs with them, unless you place them inside the switch. They're normally used for RGB PCB's which aren't very common. (I think the only quality one available would be Zeal's RGB PCB - Those are PCB's with LED's on them).

So PCB mount with Black Housings, please!

What makes them not suitable for regular LEDs?
They do not have the holes for the leds on the switch housing, forcing the user to disassemble the switch to install the LEDs. Normally cherry MX switches have  two holes in both the top and bottom housing allowing for a  easy Led install, but the RGB  variants have none.

WTF why no holes for leds on the RGB version :(   

Damn Cherry. 

I was super-hyped for Silent RGB but at this point yeah the Black is the only way to go, even if people will vote for cherry RGB it means they don't know the led compatibility as well.  We can still fit the led inside the switch tho but this is a big limit...

You could always swap out the black Cherry tops for clear Gateron RGB tops.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:57:13 »
Silent reds and silent blacks are both retooled cherry linear stems. I think it's just placebo if they feel any different. I've used both and they feel basically the same.

The RGB housings are very brittle, I'd prefer this to be run with the black housing.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:58:27 »
Interested in these because they're pcb mount! Next time, reds would be nice  :thumb:

Offline Cotay

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:59:55 »
Hello everyone!

I'm George. I run Optic Boards - www.opticboards.com

I have an IC here for Cherry MX Silent Black switches.

There is an MOQ of 48,000 switches! Which is incredibly high, to help achieve this I will only be allowing purchases of packs of 120, instead of the however many you want as long as it's more than 10 which I usually do. I will be getting the switches from Cherry's European distributor, so there will not be a re-seller in the middle.

The price is £26 for a pack of 120 or roughly £0.2166... per switch. ($33.94, so it is $0.282 per switch)

I will be pledging to purchase at least 40 packs of switches for myself leaving only 360 packs to be purchased by everyone else.

I would like to run this GB alongside a CONUS based proxy, so if anyone would like to jump in as a proxy let me know via DM  or email: george@opticboards.com.

Shipping prices. £3.50 UK, £5.50 EU, £7.50 everyone else.

Any questions let me know!

Update: Novelkeys has agreed to proxy over in the US! I'll update once he has worked out appropriate price to cover customs and shipping to him.

IC LINK HERE https://goo.gl/forms/0gHqwJawdSunpPV72

And here I just ordered 100 for $53 elsewhere. Very good price! I'll have to pick up more of these now.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 12:00:37 »

I've got silent reds and they're very smooth, smooth like gateron without the wobble. It's very sad that yours are scratchy.

Dear OP, can you please assure us that your silent switches will be smooth? Thanks

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 12:30:58 »

I've got silent reds and they're very smooth, smooth like gateron without the wobble. It's very sad that yours are scratchy.

Dear OP, can you please assure us that your silent switches will be smooth? Thanks

I have asked, and was told by the distributor that they aren't 100% sure but since these have a 10-12 week lead time they are a fresh batch, so theoretically they should be the latest revision. I will push for a more definite ansswer though.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 12:31:08 »

FWIW, I have bought both Silent Red and Black from the recent Doyu GBs, and both packs were very very smooth
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 13:09:36 »

FWIW, I have bought both Silent Red and Black from the recent Doyu GBs, and both packs were very very smooth
Does this mean the latest revision is guaranteed to be smooth?

Or is it alternated between batches?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 13:20:34 »

Nobody here really knows it is all anecdotal up to this point.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 14:55:27 »

Pretty much

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 14:56:03 »

I can confirm. Very smooth!

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 15:24:40 »

Perhaps if this GB moves forward George can shed more light on this in terms of switch smoothness (48k switches will no doubt provide a lot of opportunity for observation and empirical data)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline sdothum

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 22:12:58 »
I am in for a pack (or two) -- ship to Canada.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 July 2017, 22:18:47 by sdothum »
Planck - Cherry Black Silent 62g - Signature SA (Primary driver)
Planck - Gateron Brown - Gateron Cherry PBT
Planck - Zealios Tactile 62g - Gateron Cherry PBT
Planck - Matias Quiet Linear - 3D Printed Steno Keycaps
Out of circulation (Ortho all the way!): Poker 2 (MX Red), Filco Majestouch (MX Blue)

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 10:19:25 »

Offline Giorgio