Author Topic: Overhauling a Filco Majestouch 2 tips please  (Read 4974 times)

Offline delatroy

Overhauling a Filco Majestouch 2 tips please
« on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 12:37:51 »
Hi everyone  :p

First post and hoping to get some advice on selecting components and sources that ship to the EU to overhaul my 104 key ANSI Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 (FKBN104M / https://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=757). It's a really nice keyboard that I used everyday but some of the caps have broken, many are loose and some of the switches are showing their age. I would also like to move from the reds to Gateron / Cherry Blues or Yellows as I suspect I will type more accurately.

Going from this...

to something like the middle light-grey board shown here with the accents: :cool:

So I guess for this project I need:
  • 104 Blue / Yellow Gaterons / Cherrys (not sure which yet)
  • Lubrication
  • White blanks with light accents on WSAD, ESC key and Enter keys
  • Light grey paint for the case and backet tools to repaint. Anyone have a link to good guide on respraying a black case please?
  • Cable mod - is it possible on the Filco to mod the board and case to replace the fixed cable to a replaceable one? Not essential but could be fun!

Couple of questions please:
  • Should I desolder and resolder the PCB with the new switches that I want or am I better off selling the PCB and buying a new one with the switches that I want?
  • If I resolder, will the Gaterons fit perfectly into the Filco?
  • Any advice on which profile of keycaps I should select? Are there restrictions on which profile I can select based on the Filco PCB, bracket or case?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 12:42:07 by delatroy »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: Overhauling a Filco Majestouch 2 tips please
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 12:56:48 »
1.  I replaced the switches in mine with gateron blacks, no issues whatsoever.  The stock PCB is fine Imo, but I did install a new controller when I did my modifications.
2.  See 1.
3.  Personally I would recommend some cherry profile keycaps.  If you have your heart set on blanks, I recommend a set of gateron PBT blanks. I am not sure who is selling them these days, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to find a set.

As for the cable, Pexon makes a cable that will work but it uses a custom connector.  So as long as you aren't too concerned about it not being mini-usb I would go that route.  You could do the mod yourself and install a female mini connector, but afaik it may take some hacking to get a housing around the connector.  Other option would be to just use shrink wrap if you don't mind the look of it.  I can't speak to painting the case as I haven't done this, but as long as you thoroughly prep the case you should be fine with most paint.

edit:  Looks like kbdfans sells the keycaps.  Gateron is the manufacturer, but EnjoyPBT owns the molds.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 12:59:49 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline delatroy

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:13:28 »
1.  I replaced the switches in mine with gateron blacks, no issues whatsoever.  The stock PCB is fine Imo, but I did install a new controller when I did my modifications.
2.  See 1.
3.  Personally I would recommend some cherry profile keycaps.  If you have your heart set on blanks, I recommend a set of gateron PBT blanks. I am not sure who is selling them these days, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to find a set.

As for the cable, Pexon makes a cable that will work but it uses a custom connector.  So as long as you aren't too concerned about it not being mini-usb I would go that route.  You could do the mod yourself and install a female mini connector, but afaik it may take some hacking to get a housing around the connector.  Other option would be to just use shrink wrap if you don't mind the look of it.  I can't speak to painting the case as I haven't done this, but as long as you thoroughly prep the case you should be fine with most paint.

edit:  Looks like kbdfans sells the keycaps.  Gateron is the manufacturer, but EnjoyPBT owns the molds.

• Why did you change the controller after installing the gaterons? What's the benefit? Do I need to also?
  • I'm not sure what determines NKEY rollover. If I replace the switches with Gaterons, will I retain full NKEY rollover support?
  • That's a great tip about Pexon! Thanks :thumb:
  • The Cherry profile is stock on the Majestouch? See https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84846.0 where the OP claims that it's OEM except for the top row which appears raised?
  • Assuming I went for the white blanks, where could I source the ESC and WSAD accents in the same profile?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:37:34 »
Why did you change the controller after installing the gaterons? What's the benefit? Do I need to also?
For making the board fully programmable. ghostjuggernaut is most likely speaking of bpiphany's The Kitten paw.

If I replace the switches with Gaterons, will I retain full NKEY rollover support?
nKey doesn't depend on switches. You'll keep the same nKey option as of now.

The Cherry profile is stock on the Majestouch?
OEM is stock on Filcos. Cherry profiles are a bit shorter but they look and feel great on them.

Assuming I went for the white blanks, where could I source the ESC and WSAD accents in the same profile?
Various Esc packs have been made and you shouldn't have any problem getting ahold of some, for example at UKKeycaps.
As for WASD packs, Elitekeyboard sells some in different colours. They are located in the US so shipping might take a bit longer. Looks at the end of this page.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline delatroy

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 14:33:45 »
Thank you! I think I will need to dye the blanks instead of buying those WSAD, etc as they are a little too dark for what I'm trying to do. A small detail, but will be worth it haha  :confused:

OEM is stock on Filcos. Cherry profiles are a bit shorter but they look and feel great on them.
Are you sure? R1 row on the Filco looks higher in the photo. Is there a blank keycap set that includes this difference? Even if stock R1 is actually higher, it will not be a problem to go with Cherry or OEM for the filco case is that right?

Any tips / links regarding dyeing caps and painting the case please?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 15:00:15 »
R1 row on the Filco looks higher in the photo. Is there a blank keycap set that includes this difference?
Cherry row 0 is pretty rare. Function and number rows are usually made with the same profile.

Even if stock R1 is actually higher, it will not be a problem to go with Cherry or OEM for the filco case is that right?
Correct.

Any tips / links regarding dyeing caps and painting the case please?
Only for PBT keycaps. Link here.

Offline delatroy

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 15:38:34 »
Aside from changing it to grey on white blanks, anyone have any thoughts on what to do with the Filco? Would be interested to know what you'd do with it if you were in my position  :p

Is there a gallery of projects from around the web for inspiration somewhere?
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 15:40:18 by delatroy »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 15:49:57 »
Aside from changing it to grey on white blanks, anyone have any thoughts on what to do with the Filco?
Aside for the replacement controller, most of the community's attention is on the TKL model.
There's the Phantom PCB for example.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 16:05:19 »
tjcaustin will still make the Filco quick connect cabled with female mini-USB.  https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=162.0
I just ordered one from him.
The other connectors look too big IMO.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 01:10:56 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline delatroy

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 16:14:10 »
Aside for the replacement controller, most of the community's attention is on the TKL model.
You're saying I should sell it? haha  :D

I bought this Filco years ago but it's only now that I'm understanding the mech charm! I may buy a 65% or Vortex 75% and can be fun to overhual two of these full size Filcos at the same time.

tjcaustin will still make the Filco quick connect cabled with female mini-USB.
Oh interesting. Do you have a photo or link?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 01:26:15 »
Yeah, I put the correct link to his vendor section above (https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=162.0).  The first one I posted was ancient.
Can't seem to find a picture of one of his quick connect cables, but this is some Filco cables he did.
IMG_1843.jpg by tjcaustin, on Flickr

Edit:

I found a picture of the one on one of my Filco TKL's.  This was done by another person, but it would look similar (I believe TJ might put his stress relief on going the opposite way).
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 01:35:32 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline delatroy

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 03:56:28 »
Thank you  ;)

I think I will go with the straight through cable instead of the mini-USB as it looks cleaner than some dongle type thing hanging out the back of your case haha

Didn't realise that people are making cables for Filcos with the internal connector - so cool!  :p