Author Topic: Did you ever have a moment where you thought mechanical KBs were overrated?  (Read 10789 times)

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
Honestly, I felt this way for quite a while, not understanding what the big deal was about, and HATING the Corsair Strafe my boss gave me to type at work in late 2017. I remember bottoming out on that all the time and despising that bump I felt each time.

It didn't help that seven months after giving that keyboard to my coworker, the keyboard ended up failing and not working anymore, so he had to switch to another board. He has arthritis in both of his hands, and he really liked how much lighter Cherry MX Red switches were for him. I guess that was the first time I started to get a better understanding of why people gravitate towards mechanical keebs so much, and then when I saw people who were getting into coding and web development swearing by the mechanical keyboards they use. I knew this one guy who loved his Corsair Strafe a lot and still types on it to this day.

Fast forward now, and I'm OBSESSED with these kinds of boards now. They've become a huge part of my life, and I wish I had known about these keyboards when I was getting serious about my career, which involves a lot of typing. I was so used to typing on crappy membrane boards for the longest time and thinking those were passable. Now when I try to type on them, they feel disgusting and gross to me.

Anyone else been in the same boat where you scoffed at the thought of mechanical keyboards being any good?
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline Aelon

Did I ever have a moment where I thought mechanical keyboards were overrated ?

Yes I did, It was almost the very first week I got my first mechanical keyboard back in December 2015.
I was using cheap membrane keyboards for 15 to 20 years before. And when I got my first Cherry MX Brown switched keyboard, even tough it was much better than typing on membrane keyboards, I noticed that I began making some weird typos. I thought mechanical keyboards were a new experience for me so there had to be an adaptation period. But no, soon I quickly realized that some switches were defective and were chattering, double pressing some letters. In the mean time, I also got myself a Cherry MX Blue switched keyboard for typing purposes but unfortunately I realized that that keyboard had also some defective switches that were double typing/chattering. And as months passes, chattering issue began worse and every week or month some new keys were developing chattering.

Feeling frustrated and betrayed, I began looking for solutions on the internet. Almost 1 year later in December 2016, this time I bought a Logitech mechanical keyboard because it's newly designed Romer-G switches were advertised as "Specifically built with double contact mechanism to eliminate/reduce chatter". First year using that Logitech keyboard was kind of okey but unfortunately it also started developing chatter at multiple keys and what's worse is this time sometimes keys were not pressing/registering key strokes at all!!. I was taking notes of defective switches in that Logitech and when I finally abandoned using that keyboard, there were total 32 entries for defective switches in my notes for that keyboard!

This was the last straw for me to almost completely avoid the keyboards that have the traditional metal contact type switches. 3 defective keyboards in a row is enough.
In my opinion, a mechanical keyboard must be better than a membrane keyboard in every way. As I said before, I used membrane keyboards for 15~20 years and I don't remember a single time a key had chattering or misregistering issues. Reliability is a very important thing.
Also in my opinion: A decent mechanical keyboard need not be taken care of, cleaned and generally be more fragile to dust more than a membrane keyboard. Altough I accept and know the reason why membrane keyboards are more resistant to drink spills when compared to mechanical keyboards.

But still I can't give up the typing comfort and luxury of mechanical keyboards, therefore nowadays I am using a type of mechanical keyboard that have a switch type that's immune to chatter. I am in a kind of "rehabilitation" nowadays because after all those "traumatic" months and years, I am finally enjoying mechanical keyboards again.

You may ask "Why did you switch to a keyboard, say a Topre, before?" The answer is unfortunately I am kind of restricted to keyboard layout options and mainly restricted to the customs of my country.
In our country, only very few main brands are available and able to supply the keyboards that have the language layout I want. These are: Asus, Razer, Corsair, A4Tech-Bloody, Logitech, CM Storm, Thermaltake, Rampage etc...
I don't have access to many keyboards mentioned here in geekhack.org: Topre, Ducky, HHKB, GMK, Leopold, Unicomp etc etc etc ? forget about it...
And also unfortunately keyboard is the only PC Peripheral/equipment that comes with language differences.

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 March 2019, 10:56:56 by Aelon »

Offline Telstar

No. But I had a moment when I used a membrane cheap keyboard after years on my model M, and thought "WTF is this crap?".

A few of the highest regarded keyboards have serious layout limitations, as said by Aelon.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 March 2019, 14:03:15 by Telstar »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
man if thats their first priority why buy mac they havent made anything good since the aekii and even that was already a decline

I didn't have a moment where i thought mechanical keyboards were overrated, probably because i'm really new here and haven't tried any new switches yet.
Membrane keyboards however are very overrated and feel very rubbery. That's why i switched to  mechanical.

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
I do now. While mechanical keyboards are a different experience, I don't find them that much better than rubber domes. I can appreciate a mechanical keyboard, but I don't think that "it's so satisfying" or "it's a joy to type". I've had more fun typing on Masterkeys Lite L than on a mech with Reds or even Browns.
Maybe Reds aren't my thing, though.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline jamster

Fast forward now, and I'm OBSESSED with these kinds of boards now. They've become a huge part of my life, and I wish I had known about these keyboards when I was getting serious about my career, which involves a lot of typing. I was so used to typing on crappy membrane boards for the longest time and thinking those were passable. Now when I try to type on them, they feel disgusting and gross to me.

Anyone else been in the same boat where you scoffed at the thought of mechanical keyboards being any good?

I grew up with decent keyboards so I've taken them for granted. They are tools. Nice tools, but tools nonetheless.

Most cheap/rubber dome keyboards feel extremely mediocre. Some mechanical boards, to me, feel extremely mediocre (looking at you, MX reds/browns). So I have several nice keyboards which I used on a daily basis, and leave it at that.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I have a personal problem with linear switches. For some reason, I have never been able to be comfortable typing without tactile feedback of some sort.

But that is just me, I took a typing class in the 1960s and we had to use manuals for a couple of months before we were allowed to move up to IBM Selectrics, so serious feel needs must be ingrained in my muscle memory.

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Telstar

I have a personal problem with linear switches. For some reason, I have never been able to be comfortable typing without tactile feedback of some sort.

Linear switches are awful and low tactile ones are meh. Because of the "gaming" surge we got way too many of those with the excuse that they are "faster".

Offline fanpeople

Overrated no, over priced... **** yes.

Offline Findecanor

Oh, yes. Linear switches absolutely, yes. Linear "Speed" switches, double yes!

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood

But that is just me, I took a typing class in the 1960s and we had to use manuals for a couple of months before we were allowed to move up to IBM Selectrics, so serious feel needs must be ingrained in my muscle memory.

I had no idea there was even such a thing as a tactile switch when I was getting into this hobby at first place. I started out with linears thinking they would be great, but can see why they're not always the best for typing. All the ones I've tried have been too light for my tastes. Perhaps if they were a bit heavier and felt more like 55g or something, I'd like them more. I just need a bit of resistance when I type and some tactility, but smooth, which is what drew me into other kinds of switches.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Because of the "gaming" surge we got way too many of those with the excuse that they are "faster".

My son is a gamer and he has a Filco with black Cherry and O-rings which is his preferred setup. He thinks that they are fastest, and especially likes the reduced travel and bounce from the O-rings.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Greko

For me it's the opposite. My conviction gets stronger over time in relation to the superiority of mechanical keyboards. I particularly like all kinds and change from each type from time to time.
IBM Model M White Label | Leopold FC750R | GMMK TKL | Realforce 87U 55G | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
Never.

Keycaps instead are overrated. Paying 200 eur for a unique set that you have to throw away if you break a keycap, seems a little bit too much. Yet GMK isn't too expensive, it's priced quite fairly: it is clear that when the east asia production tries to approach its quality, production issues and quality control make the product nearly as expensive.

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game

just... no.
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
only time was when i tried topre

oh wait that's a rubber dome
I love Elzy

Offline sd40

Yes.  Though a longtime Gateway AnyKey (high quality rubber dome) user, I bought a refurb Northgate Omnikey a few months ago.  It's true what they say, typing goes a little faster with it, if you can get used to stopping at the point where the keyswitch buckles.  And I did. 

But for reasons that are mostly personal and subjective I prefer an AnyKey in good condition (hard as that is to find now).  It has most of the definite, solid, clicky feel without the distinct click that signifies actuation.  With the Omnikey I found myself a little too focused on the actuation point--feeling for the required force, like an old piano player would.  After awhile the click became predictable too.  Better to just put the keyboard in the background and focus on the work.  After months of experimentation I have decided that I will stay with AnyKey.

I note that many of the previous posts refer to "crappy rubber dome keyboards."  I know what you mean.  No one refers to the AnyKey that way.

Offline fanpeople

ITS......NOT ...RU..BBER DOME.... ITS GLORIOUS GOD TIER.....CUP RUBBER

Offline jamster

Keycaps instead are overrated. Paying 200 eur for a unique set that you have to throw away if you break a keycap, seems a little bit too much. Yet GMK isn't too expensive, it's priced quite fairly: it is clear that when the east asia production tries to approach its quality, production issues and quality control make the product nearly as expensive.

Is breaking keycaps a thing? I've not come across that in the decades I've been typing. Broken keyboards, sure, but not caps.

Offline Telstar

Overrated no, over priced... **** yes.

This, in most cases.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females

Dis' is how Hype happens,  and u guyzus oversell Topr to the N0vice keebers..

I like them, but it's okay if others believe they're overrated. The more I read this board, the more I still wanna keep trying other switches. Was reading all about how nice Cherry MX Clears for example.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo

Is breaking keycaps a thing? I've not come across that in the decades I've been typing. Broken keyboards, sure, but not caps.
Most of the stems on the keyboard I use for gaming are broken from hitting my keyboard in rage :P

Not enough to be completely "broken" but enough to be easily taken off with just my fingers

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
When I look at some of the super-limited run kind of stuff I still scratch my head... I'm all for very nice production quality things, but $600 for a shell and pcb? Seems a bit ridiculous and overrated even now. Personally I'd rather spend the time/money tuning the mid-tier to my liking - better switch lube, spring weight alteration, paper/leaf-modding ALPS, etc.

The $60 Das Pro that started me on mechanical switches I thought to be way expensive at the time, while lo and behold hundreds and probably thousands later it seems like a gentle price for a keyboard that went through hell and back.

You can only be in ignorant bliss before knowing the truth.
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline fanpeople

Because CUP RUBBER

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Yes, like Aelon before I'm dissatisfied with the reality compared to the hype. Repetitions, failure to register, the quickness with which issues first appear, the ease of damaging those boards. For starters, they aren't nearly as durable or error-free as advertised.

Nicer to type on? Yes, but not without its own limitations. And some aren't really all that nice at all.

And like Fanpeople before I'm dissatisfied with the prices vs what you get. However, income is a factor, and in my part of Europe you tend to make like one third of what folks make in the UK or US, or Germany. If you tripled my income, I probably wouldn't care, except perhaps for those ridiculously priced Corsair, Razer etc. tops of the line.

That said, $20 mechanicals are probably decent vs $20 rubber domes. Not sure about the the best of $20 scissors. I won't say a bad word about flat scissor boards. I consider them to be marvels of technology in their own right. With practical appreciation subject to the right price point, of course.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2019, 12:08:10 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline seville57

No, not what I can remember.

Offline randomist

I used to go through rubber domes fairly regularly, some that would rival a decent mech on price. Since I bought mech about 10 years ago, I haven't had a single keyboard issue.... other than the reliability making it hard to justify buying new boards. That means that my most recent purchase is the board I'm typing on now, a 2014 Ducky Mini ISO-UK that I bought on pre-order. And I do not baby my boards, this one in particular spent a couple of years being thrown in bags and getting who-knows-what spilled all over it fairly regularly as a travel board. I think I've cleaned it once possibly twice.

I think I've just thought up a way to justify another purchase, potentially 2, so my 5 year draught might come to an end...

Oh, have I ever thought they were not worth it? Nope.

Offline b00m666

Never had this feeling. I upgraded from a membrane to a mechanical one after like 17 years. I couldn't figure out why i didn't do this earlier. It was so much better in terms of response and feeling. More fluid and overall gave me a better gaming experience online.

The sound really didn't bother me.

Offline shubham

• noobs2pro
Can someone tell me the top 10 mechanical keyboards for budget gamers? I am planning to write a post for my site http://noobs2pro.com/
I am new to mechanical keyboards in general and any help would be appreciated. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Also provide reasoning for the same if possible. Thanks in advance.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64

Because CUP RUBBER

Topre good though , u can't lie
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Over-rated?  No.
Can you over spend? Absolutely.

Can you go back to cheap rubber domes? Probably not.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jamster

TBH, I'd sooner go to rubber domes than to mech switches that I didn't like (any linears, MX Blues or close equivalents)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
TBH, I'd sooner go to rubber domes than to mech switches that I didn't like (any linears, MX Blues or close equivalents)
You and me both, there are some good rubber domes and some horrible mechs.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline diazel

Oh, absolutely. After getting into the hobby and spending time learning about how many variations there actually were on the market, I started buying a bunch of boards from all over the place. Filco Majestouch 2, Cougar Puri TKL, MagicForce 68, used Ducky Shine keyboards, etc. I looked down on anyone that chose to use their laptop keyboard over mechanical switches. I had to experience them all and figure out which combination was superior. After collecting Creams, Gat blacks, holy pandas, box royals, and alpacas, I eventually started reading about Topre. Like most people here, I went and checked out reviews on Youtube and got super curious. I bought a new HHKB because I had to try them out and expecting to hate them. But I loved them. Loved them to the point that I questioned all the time I spent collecting all my other keebs and switches. Then I watched a review about the ABKO K935P wherein after trying the HHKB and the ABKO side by side, I ended up returning the HHKB and now the cheaper clone that you can only find on Amazon is my preferred keyboard.

After saying all that, however, I don't think anyone in this lobby would give up that feeling when you introduce someone to the hobby and watch with fascination and horror as you start to explain all the different aspects of what makes a good keyboard.

Offline Touch_It

I could live with a half decent rubber dome if I needed, but when I'm in a position to type on a **** mushy low profile keyboard, it makes me appreciate mechanical keyboards.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Dongulator

Yes, but then I typed on one and will never go back.

Also Topre might be cup rubber, but its still better than stock mx switches. I think the only time MX > Topre is when you lube the **** out of everything and film the switches.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
I guess I was oblivious to the glory of non-rubberdome keyboards.

At the end of last year, I inherited a nice Model M and started using it at home. Then with the whole Covid thing, I have been working from home most of the time and the first time I went back into the office, I couldn't believe just how crappy my old rubber dome was. This lead me to here while trying to research options for a better keyboard that won't get me kicked out of a semi-open office layout.

I agree that some of the limited run stuff gets pretty pricey, but then again, that is problem with small batch manufacturing, you end up paying a much higher share of the setup costs for each part.

One kind of disappointing aspect of the custom mech hobby is the focus on smaller and smaller boards. As an Engineer, the numpad is not an optional extra, so the options for a true custom are a bit limited.

Now I just need to wait on the first run of the Boston PCB's and I think I will be a happy camper.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile

Because CUP RUBBER

Topre good though , u can't lie

I long to feel a topre just once in my life.

Offline Polymer

Yes, but then I typed on one and will never go back.

Also Topre might be cup rubber, but its still better than stock mx switches. I think the only time MX > Topre is when you lube the **** out of everything and film the switches.

First time I tried Topre I was a bit disappointed...it just felt so familiar and different than other mech boards...but I kept going to give it a fair chance...Then you notice it feels pretty good and how it differs from just any rubber dome...it wasn't until I went back to other keyboards did I realize, wow, Topre makes these feel ordinary...

But outside of that...Trying to find old mech boards is how I got back into the hobby so I probably never thought, in general, they were overrated...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Don't worry about it. You will be under-whelmed.

Unlike a behemoth like a beam spring or a Model F where you type 3 characters and go "Wow! I have never felt anything like this." the Topre just sits there and quietly does its job without drama.

Almost everybody is surprised that there are no fireworks or orgasms, but Topre never intended to be anything but a reliable tool.

Like the athlete who can do an amazing stunt and "makes it look easy" this is an input device that wants you to forget that it even exists as you weave it into your underlying activities.

Offline Riverman

Unlike a behemoth like a beam spring or a Model F where you type 3 characters and go "Wow! I have never felt anything like this." the Topre just sits there and quietly does its job without drama.

Almost everybody is surprised that there are no fireworks or orgasms, but Topre never intended to be anything but a reliable tool.

Like the athlete who can do an amazing stunt and "makes it look easy" this is an input device that wants you to forget that it even exists as you weave it into your underlying activities.
I couldn't agree more.  Sometimes I wonder why I spent so much on two Topre keyboards (one for work and one for home), but I've spent far more on buying and selling various MX keyboards.  I really do like the feel of a good scissor switch keyboard, but my issue is that shine on black keycaps bugs the hell out of me, and I was replacing my keyboard every 6 months because of shiny spots.  That gets expensive, even with relatively cheap scissor switch keyboards.  Two Topre boards with dye subbed PBT keycaps should last me just about forever.

Offline Drakenocas

Yes, I did.  Right at that point that I realized that I had around 1,500 dollars tied up in the hobby.  Then I realized it'll all be okay as long as the things I buy retain most of its worth.

Offline Muchacho

Did you ever have a moment where you thought mechanical KBs were overrated?

When you realise most of the custom keyboards does not even come with any led to check if you are in caps lock or not. And pay 200$-500$
Which is a basic function in every single pre-built keyboard (IMHO, for a good reason).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
When you realise most of the custom keyboards does not even come with any led to check if you are in caps lock or not. And pay 200$-500$
Which is a basic function in every single pre-built keyboard (IMHO, for a good reason).
A lot of high and low end laptops do this as well.
On low end it's a cost issue, on high end it's a choice.

I don't care about keyboard lights, no numpad and I often disable caps entirely. On systems though I want the lights for diagnostic.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline killyou

I started my journey with Novatouch and I was pleased with it so I knew that MKs are a real deal. I wanted to explore so I sold Novatouch and got Magicforce 68 to test smaller layout, later on I got multiple Pok3r keyboards with different switches, ordered custom switches, assembled my own switches and the only time I had a bad experience and I did not like using mechanical keyboard was with any linear switch and with V2 Zealio switches. Other than that I was more or less happy and I love writing on my current setup which is Pok3r with Kailh BOX Pink switches with BOX White springs.

Offline R_Endymion

It depends on how it's framed. Do I think mechanical keyboards are over-rated in general? not for me. But I spend 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week typing on one (programmer). If my work didn't involve a keyboard being a constant extension of my hands, I probably would think it's overrated. That said, I think the value that people attach to various custom keyboards, switches, etc is an overrating of it. Arguing endlessly about the size of the tactile bump on a $.01 plastic switch stem and spending $500 on your 5th custom keyboard isn't really about typing experience anymore, but about status, IMO.

Offline apastuszak

The first mechanical keyboards I ever used were all Cherry MX or clone keyboards.  I hated ALL of them.  I used an APC server rack keyboard with Cherry MX Black switches.  Forced myself to use it for a week. Finally threw it in a drawer.  Then I tried a Cherry MX Blue, and Cherry MX Brown.  Then I tried some kailh switches.  I eventually gave up.

Then I bought a Unicomp Ultra Classic.  Then a vintage 1986 Model M.  Then I bought my wife a 1988 Model M.  Then I bought a Unicomp M122.  Then I bought some Soarer's converters for them all.

A year later I bought a Matias Tactile Pro, and really liked it.

I still hate cherry switches.  I know there are a lot more cherry clones now, and people have recommended box navy as something "close to" buckling springs.  But after buying 4 different keyboards with cherry or cherry-like switches, I am gun shy about buying another one.

Offline Learis

Literally yesterday I had this feeling when I realized I type faster on my laptop's chiclet keyboard than my mechanical. It's not so much that mechs are overrated, but that the typical longer travel and heavier actuation force of them don't agree with me. So I'm going to do some significant modifications to mine with "speed" style switches and special light springs :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 September 2020, 01:23:07 by Learis »
Mend and Defend

Offline mokeyjoe

Re: Did you ever have a moment where you thought mechanical KBs were overrated?
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 16:15:00 »

I don't have a Topre but I recently got a Niz Plum which is essentially a clone, although with lighter domes. It's by far the most accurate and fast keyboard I've ever typed on. Usually it takes a while for me to get used to a new switch, but I was 5-10wpm faster than my average on this off the bat - most likely due to the increase in accuracy.

I know some people lump them in with mechs, and others with dome + membrane keyboards, but I think it shows more than anything that rubber domes themselves aren't inherently inferior, that they're still a valuable keyboard technology when applied well. They can have a very satisfying, rounded kind of tactility that's unlike anything available with a metal spring.

That's not to say I don't switch things around by using other keyboards - I go back to light linears quite a lot as I enjoy the floating feel, and I have several clickies - but if there was less of a bias about domes being a cheap option then there would be many better rubber dome based keyboards out there. I've been interested in trying some of the older dome with slider designs for a while. There's no reason a rubber dome keyboard has to be mushy and wobbly.

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2020, 16:20:39 by mokeyjoe »