Author Topic: it is coming... SA RETRO!  (Read 70435 times)

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
Re: it is coming... SA RETRO!
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 10:39:26 »
I've been wanting this set ever since I saw the keyboard it was inspired by.

I like PuLSe's contoured profile but I'm not opposed to trying new things with keyboards. Just be gentle

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 11:05:19 »
The colors will be most likely WCK on TBN, which seems pretty close to the original. ...

Sounds good :) They're close enough. And TBN on GTM mods would suit nicely, too. Very much like the function keys on some of the boards.

Better start preparing for massive numbers of orders.... DSA Retro has whetted appetites for the colourway and the SA hype is big right now. :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 11:57:01 »
The colors will be most likely WCK on TBN, which seems pretty close to the original. RBC is just for those who don't care about the retro aspect and just want a nice color combo.

I might add TBN on GTM mods, which looks pretty cool to me as an alternative.

I like both those colour ideas... off-white legends on the brown, brown legends on the beige.

If you add extra keys in OAS, you will have successfully hacked my wallet!

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:33:38 »
Will there be a sculpted ergodox (plum) mods set?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:36:32 »
Ok, at this point all I need to know is.

Function row: ROW-1 or ROW-3 ?

Will there be a sculpted ergodox (plum) mods set?

possibly, yes.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:39:02 »
Ok, at this point all I need to know is.

Function row: ROW-1 or ROW-3 ?

Either one is fine, but I have a slight preference for Row 1.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 14:14:55 »
Row 1 please and thank tou

Offline matchstik

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 14:28:56 »
I also love the look of that dark brown for alphas and mods, with just the function row in beige and lime green Esc/Enter.

Show Image

My fave so far. Definitely on the list for this set.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:01:24 »
I prefer Row 1.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
it is coming... SA RETRO!
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:09:26 »
Since it appears that SP can do R4 1.25u mods in semi matte finish, I'd say run it in 1-1-2-3-4-4, as Oobly suggested. With R3 shifts, of course.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Data

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:17:03 »
I also love the look of that dark brown for alphas and mods, with just the function row in beige and lime green Esc/Enter.

Show Image

Oh yeah, this.  This right here.  Yes.

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 16:07:25 »
Technically feasible, but it would be still $9000 pro-bono. People complain if they get 3 keycaps that they don't use in each and every GB...
I meant more along the lines of expertise, milling/shaping/making the molds, CAD, etc. Obviously they don't just put money in a machine and the molds come out; there's some sort of process. Maybe that process can be assisted somehow. I dunno.

Like, for instance, someone could quote me $10000 for some landscaping, but if I was able to source my own materials from a landscaper friend, I could save some money. And if I dug it out myself with some friends and some beers ahead of time instead of paying them $150/hr, I could save more money.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 16:41:42 »
Since it appears that SP can do R4 1.25u mods in semi matte finish, I'd say run it in 1-1-2-3-4-4, as Oobly suggested. With R3 shifts, of course.

I'm not sold about R4 on the modifiers. SA shape doesn't seem right for R4 in the bottom row. Actually probably row-2 would work better :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:02:03 »

I'm not sold about R4 on the modifiers. SA shape doesn't seem right for R4 in the bottom row. Actually probably row-2 would work better :)

Actually, I think I'd like a uniform R4 set. :)

Here it is on jacobolus' keycap profile demonstrator. A little less angle on the "keyboard" and all the tops would be parallel to the desk.

Photo credit: jacobolus

in memoriam

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:55:15 »
A row 4 set would be cool. For wierd alternate layout ErgoDox people like me, mono-profile is the best!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 03:39:05 »
Please double, triple, quadruple check it.

We still miss: ergodox and international kit (we will have 3: UK, DE-IT-Nordic, FR)

Of course we will have spacebars available in all sizes

These are the possible color combos:

Pure Retro

Limed

Plum

Sad man

I'm not sure about this last one. We'll see
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 03:59:21 by Matt3o »

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 05:43:25 »
Please double, triple, quadruple check it.

We still miss: ergodox and international kit (we will have 3: UK, DE-IT-Nordic, FR)

Of course we will have spacebars available in all sizes

Show Image

These are the possible color combos:

Pure Retro
Show Image

Limed
Show Image

Plum
Show Image

Sad man
Show Image

I'm not sure about this last one. We'll see
Please mang, I'm running out of keyboard to put all my keyset on
nevertheless, not sure about the last one myself
but the plum still look really good (I own the DSA one) :thumb: :thumb:
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 06:07:16 »

Show Image

That is a nice design!

This may be my first SA set!

Might be my third :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 07:46:17 »
I've seen how the Plum looks on actual sets (even if they were DSA, not SA) but I'm not sure how the Sad Man colors would look in real life. With a new round of Penumbra probably coming up, I don't really want to get all the kits and blow my whole wad without knowing if I'll like it or not.

If someone could do a realistic render or hue adjustment on an existing photo so we could get a better idea of what Sad Man would look like, that would be awesome.

Matt3o, how about a dark gray instead of beige? Do you think that might be more appealing? That way you could stick with white legends. Let me find a photo of the Plum and I can do a hue shift on it.

Edit: Never mind, dark gray with dark brown would be lame.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:19:00 by Supergeek »

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:43:07 »
I did some quick hue shifts to play around with colors a bit:

Brownish

Green

Gray

The beige/brown doesn't look too bad. Green doesn't look too bad either. :) I know this is DSA, but I just wanted to get a better idea.

Edit: The brown wasn't light enough, here's another version, with enhanced brown on the alphas because that photo made them look pretty black:

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:48:25 by Supergeek »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:01:31 »
I like the gray one (a lot), but I believe 2 color combos (with green accent) are more than enough.

If there's interest I might change the burgundy with the beige/gray

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:28:13 »
I like the beige a lot too, with white legends. The mockup with a pale beige/brown legends isn't as good as I expected... I think mods which are dark enough for consistent white legends throughout work the best for this set. A warm/brownish beige like GCS would work well.

For me, the "charm" of DSA Retro was it being that vintage brown feeling, not because of the plum/burgundy, or even the green (though that's a perfect accent colour). All mods in green or plum are too much "colour" for my taste, but that two-tone brown/beige really looks great!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:34:11 »
Almost all kits. Please review! And cast your preference on burgundy vs gray

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:38:44 by Matt3o »

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:46:49 »
Are brown function row keys missing?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:50:36 »

yes :) the "standard" retro feel includes a beige function row (or yellow... as per the original C64)

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 10:14:34 »
Is the burgundy the same color as last time? I can't tell from the mockups, but I'm all for it if it is.

No love for Colemak?

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 10:16:25 »
If I had to pick one set of those, it would be:

Base + Burgundy Modifiers + Lime Gist

One suggestion, though: could you add one or two C= keys in green for the Lime Gist kit?

I did some more playing around. I inverted the colors of the base + burgundy, and then did one in gray:

I think the burgundy keys with gray mods looks amazing.

Please let me know if my suggestions are annoying or not helpful at all. I have a tendency to get over-enthused and butt into stuff sometimes! :D If that's the case here, my apologies!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 10:22:25 »
Is the burgundy the same color as last time? I can't tell from the mockups, but I'm all for it if it is.

Yes, burgundy is the same color as DSA Retro

One suggestion, though: could you add one or two C= keys in green for the Lime Gist kit?

Nice idea! And please keep sending your suggestions :D

I don't know if there's enough interest to add another color for alphas though.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 10:53:22 »

yes :) the "standard" retro feel includes a beige function row (or yellow... as per the original C64)

Cool ;) Lots of people like F1-F4 and F9-F12 to match the alphas when they have a contrasting mod colour, which they can't do with the burgundy kit.

Row 1 for function row! Awesome!

I liked how JD made the arrow cluster all row 4 in Hack'd by Geeks, with a row 2 up arrow as an extra, so it can be either common sculpted arrow cluster, or a "crater" within the arrow cluster. So looking at the current SA Retro layout, the left/down/right arrows are flat row 3, with a row 4 up arrow. Can you talk a bit about your design of the arrow cluster profiles, and the purpose of extra up arrows in row 2? My preference would be row 4 in the arrow cluster (I use arrow keys a lot and playing with some sample SA keys, it feels better to me). I'm not trying to be too critical ;) just curious and giving my opinion.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 11:11:18 »
Almost all kits. Please review! And cast your preference on burgundy vs gray

I know the gray is truer to the original C64 color scheme, but for some reason the gray function row just looks out of place to me. I'd opt for the plum/burgundy.

Any chance to add a brown stripe for the function row as well? I really liked the "Limed" option you drew up earlier.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 11:13:33 by abjr »
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 11:13:58 »
Any chance to add a brown stripe for the function row as well? I really liked the "Limed" option you drew up earlier.

Fair enough!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:23:12 »
I prefer the grey by a large margin. Not interested in the burgundy. I think the brown/grey combo is great (Base + True Retro + Lime gist... very nice)!
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:26:04 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:02:28 »
I don't know if there's enough interest to add another color for alphas though.

Yeah I hear ya. If there's too many different kits, none of them will reach MOQ on their own.

Maybe if the buy is wildly successful, more colors could be added later? ;)

Offline Data

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:17:27 »
Yeah, I'd be in for that True Retro set and the Lime kit. Still unsure about the profile or if I should wait for DSA to come back around (maybe on Massdrop?).

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 17:05:23 »
Made other few updates

keep the suggestions coming

Offline cryptowillem

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 20:02:02 »
I really like that colorway. I don't know yet if I'd go with the retro or burgundy modifiers yet. Let's be honest, though, I'd probably get both.
Got nothing for ya. Head back to camp.

Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TK w Blues
WASD Code TKL w Greens

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 21:00:29 »
I really like that colorway. I don't know yet if I'd go with the retro or burgundy modifiers yet. Let's be honest, though, I'd probably get both.

So true, BUT this forth coming Group Buy is looking to be SO BIG that it will cater to one and all especially when you look at all the extras being offered.

AGAIN we shall be Retro'ed to death for the next month or two with the numerous variety of colour-ways that could be applied here, staggers the average Geekhacker's mind  :o .

Good to be a registered forum user here on this site because of what's coming down the line  :thumb: .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 21:08:53 »
To me the gray seems a bit odd.  The rest of the colours are orange/brown hue, with contrasting green highlights.

The gray just seems bland in comparison.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:04:14 »
Why don't the burgundy mods have the green highlight keys?

Mito's PuLSE set offered a sculpted Colemak adapter pack that did well enough to tip. I imagine you'll get at least as much interest here. Certainly from me!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:21:29 »
Updates

Can someone point me to a colemak kit?

Also, is the ergodox fine?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 12:23:06 »
Ergodox kits look fine to me.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:08:56 »
Can someone point me to a colemak kit?

I'm not a colemak user, but this tipped: Pulse SA colemak kit

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 17:12:12 »

Fair enough!

Molte grazie!
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:28:27 »
More updates! Still playing with the green keys. Added colemak... make it tip!

I believe we only miss the international kits

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:51:21 »
More updates! Still playing with the green keys. Added colemak... make it tip!

Show Image

I believe we only miss the international kits

Personally I shall be going for an ALL Brown colour-way with authentic Commodore Insignia.

I'll make this baby tip, so don't worry Matt3o your latest artistic expression shall be SP's greatest version made yet, from their molds.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 03:00:20 »
as always anything with Inter kit will be an insta-buy for me.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 04:25:48 »
To be consistent, the numpad should use both ÷ and ×, or both / and *

Bumping my previous question:
I liked how JD made the arrow cluster all row 4 in Hack'd by Geeks, with a row 2 up arrow as an extra, so it can be either common sculpted arrow cluster, or a "crater" within the arrow cluster. So looking at the current SA Retro layout, the left/down/right arrows are flat row 3, with a row 4 up arrow. Can you talk a bit about your design of the arrow cluster profiles, and the purpose of extra up arrows in row 2? My preference would be row 4 in the arrow cluster (I use arrow keys a lot and playing with some sample SA keys, it feels better to me). I'm not trying to be too critical ;) just curious and giving my opinion.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 04:34:29 »
someone finds the UP arrow in R2 easier to press than R4. It's the same profile as the realforce.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:17:31 »
as always anything with Inter kit will be an insta-buy for me.

^ this.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:18:09 »
The OS kits have Windows and Linux logo modifiers, but no Apple command and option icon modifiers?